DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/637801-nintendo-switch-building-new-generation-hardware-scratch.html)

E Unit 07-07-21 11:51 AM

Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13954460)
Yeah, since I play my Switch docked 99% of the time, an improved portable screen has zero incentive to me.

I play mine docked 1% of the time. Still, a bigger improved screen isn't much of an incentive to me.

Mike86 07-07-21 02:35 PM

I almost never play my Switch docked. So for me an upgraded screen and battery life would be worthwhile. Iíll hold off until the new model is somewhere between $250 and $300.

Michael Corvin 07-07-21 02:57 PM

I play with mine docked 99% of the time, so this new system doesn't hold much appeal for me. Then again I just bought my first one a year ago, so upgrading wasn't going to happen regardless.

tanman 07-08-21 12:19 AM

I was thinking about getting the "pro" and giving my OG Switch to my daughter. Now not so sure. Might just get her a Light and keep the OG Switch.

nickdawgy 07-08-21 12:57 AM

Mine is always docked, too. No interest in the new model.

Sonny Corinthos 07-08-21 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 13954866)
Mine is always docked, too. No interest in the new model.

Same here.

lopper 07-15-21 03:43 PM

My Switch is only docked when I'm charging it. As far as I'm concerned, it's 100% a handheld console. And I use it quite a bit -- I travel a lot for work so it's nice to have in the hotel, and I also play a lot around the house when the rest of the family is watching TV.

I want to want this new model, but $350 is just too much for what is being offered here. Maybe when they discontinue the original Switch, make the OLED version the base model and drop the price back down to something more reasonable, I'll bite. Otherwise I think my launch Switch will do just fine.

tanman 07-20-21 03:17 AM

If they came out with a special edition Metroid version.....

Decker 07-20-21 08:37 AM

... It would be sold out in seconds, impossible to attain and a source of much frustration for fans.

tanman 07-20-21 10:56 PM

Yeah...:(

Goonies85 08-16-21 06:48 PM

Mostly play mine docked, but I still can't believe how awesome and effective it is when I take it mobile. Like, I have a job that I currently hate (COVID forced me to take the job) and so when I get that half-hour break midway through the day, I'm in heaven. Everything else about my day sucks, but at least I can play some Animal Crossing and not ponder...well...whatever...The sound is great, the visuals are surprisingly great...I'm just amazed by the system, and I was one of the ones that was constantly degrading it when it was announced...Even the Zelda game is growing on me, despite me being supremely pissed at the old man and his paraglider shit...I've completed a couple Shrines and I'm enjoying it...And yet? I almost want to pick up Skyrim again and just start playing it all over (and I've had it for the PS3, then I bought it again and started all over for the PS4...but I kinda wanna experience it on the Switch...I just love that game and feel it has countless hours of content...)...

Goonies85 08-26-21 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Goonies85 (Post 13971467)
Mostly play mine docked, but I still can't believe how awesome and effective it is when I take it mobile. Like, I have a job that I currently hate (COVID forced me to take the job) and so when I get that half-hour break midway through the day, I'm in heaven. Everything else about my day sucks, but at least I can play some Animal Crossing and not ponder...well...whatever...The sound is great, the visuals are surprisingly great...I'm just amazed by the system, and I was one of the ones that was constantly degrading it when it was announced...Even the Zelda game is growing on me, despite me being supremely pissed at the old man and his paraglider shit...I've completed a couple Shrines and I'm enjoying it...And yet? I almost want to pick up Skyrim again and just start playing it all over (and I've had it for the PS3, then I bought it again and started all over for the PS4...but I kinda wanna experience it on the Switch...I just love that game and feel it has countless hours of content...)...

Started Skyrim again. Already level 18 (but that really doesn't mean much in that game). Did the game a whole different way then before (mainly cause, trying to play as an ARCHER with the Switch controller sticks is extremely annoying and difficult...I mean, I can play them while they are docked and the screen only only "yet so big", but I can't use them when it's not docked, cause they just tend to aim all over the place)...But, aside from that said, I played more Animal Crossing but I'm still disappointed in Nook's offerings...It just felt like even in the GameCube version (which I think was the first one, and definitely the first one I played), there were way, way, way more original stuff being revealed every day...whereas now, it's basically just buy Nook Tickets and whatnot, cause I've bought everything else...I appreciate Nintendo adding stuff from time to time, but they really need to step it up...especially for a game that's sold like 37 million copies for them...And the islands are pretty small...And the multiplayer is so annoying (and some people, like myself, don't even wanna use that aspect, I just wanna develop my island and slowly, gradually collect new items, fruits, furniture, etc.)...This game is kind of annoying me...There's only so many hours (or basically, at this point, an hour a day I'll spend time fishing or catching bugs)...

And I tried Zelda again, but I keep getting killed going to that one Shrine that you have to wear Winter Apparel, but no one will EXPLAIN how to wear that apparel, so now I have to look it up online (which I don't like doing)...I really feel this game was overrated...Had they compared it more to something like Skyrim, man, that Zelda game woulda been lucky to have got scores like 7/10 or 6/10...Have no idea why it is so highly acclaimed...Aside from having the word "Zelda" in the title..

Michael Corvin 08-26-21 07:03 PM

Not sure if anyone is interested but I've seen the "Limited Edition" Animal Crossing Switch at multiple Targets.

Goonies85 09-02-21 02:29 PM

Based on the Nintendo Switch games I've purchased so far, I'd rank them as follows:

1) Animal Crossing: New Horizons - just a flat out great game, one of which makes me actually wanna wake up each day just to play it, even if that means waking up at 5:00 AM.

2) Skyrim - Again, this is my third run-thru with this game, having previously owned it for the PS3 and PS4, but I'm loving it just as much. The controls are a little iffy, and I gotta get one of those main Nintendo controllers, but I'm enjoying it just as much as my previous sessions...

3) Mario Golf: Super Rush - this game may have gotten a lot of flack, and much of it was deserved. Should have more courses and whatnot, but I love golf and I'm loving this game...

4) Resident Evil 4 - Still enjoying this, but like I said before, I really need to get one of those Pro Controllers, cause the Joy-Cons just don't work for this game.

5) Super Smash Bros. - Just a classic. I really like it, but would probably enjoy it more if I had buddies to play it with, in person, as opposed to online...

6) Stardew Valley - Really liking this one, but there's a bit of a learning curve...Hope to get the hang of it more later on...

7) Super Mario Kart 8 - I enjoy this, but like Smash Bros., it'd be more fun with friends over to play multiplayer in person...For now, it's okay. And I still hate how you have to pause the game at the start of matches to shut off that "driver's assistance", or whatever it's called...

8) Super Mario Odyssey - Fun...Getting better, with more worlds opening up, but there's still parts that really, really frustrate me, and I'll die like ten times before tackling certain areas...It's still fun, but I feel it's a weaker Mario game...And nowhere close to as fun as something like Super Mario Sunshine was...

9) Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I still don't get it. I hated it at first, and then conquered three Shrines and was like, this is an okay game...Then came the Shrine that's in the ice inhabit, and I still for the life of me can't figure it out...Sure, I could look online, but I always feel like that's cheating, and I like to figure things out on my own...So this game is bugging me a great deal...Might pick it up and play again, but at this point? I'm much more looking to more Animal Crossing, Skryim, and Mario Golf...And I really hope they add more courses to Mario Golf, cause it really is a blast to play, but at a certain point, I want more variety in the courses...

I think those are pretty much the games I have...Kinda wanna buy one of those Pokemon games, but that'll be in the next paycheck...

tanman 09-02-21 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Goonies85 (Post 13978914)
7) Super Mario Kart 8 - I enjoy this, but like Smash Bros., it'd be more fun with friends over to play multiplayer in person...For now, it's okay. And I still hate how you have to pause the game at the start of matches to shut off that "driver's assistance", or whatever it's called...

8) Super Mario Odessey - Fun...Getting better, with more worlds opening up, but there's still parts that really, really frustrate me, and I'll die like ten times before tackling certain areas...It's still fun, but I feel it's a weaker Mario game...And nowhere close to as fun as something like Super Mario Sunshine was...

You don't have to pause it to turn that off. In the driver selection where you choose your cart you can hit either the plus or the minus button and it will bring up an option for you to turn off the auto steer and the auto drive. BTW the auto steer and auto drive are some of the greatest things in a Mario Kart game. At least it is for me in this time of life. You can actually feasibly play with young children that way and it's a great way to make it more accessible to more players.

Super Mario Odyssey is the crown jewel of the Switch collection and the Mario series IMHO. It's the most innovative game in the series since Galaxy. And the most original first party game on the Switch. It's perfectly balanced where even the simplest tasks reward you and allow you to advance through the game but also providing some of the greatest challenges in a Mario game.

The Questyen 09-03-21 11:27 AM

Agreed. Super Mario Odyssey is my favorite 3D Mario by a mile. Fantastic and an absolute joy to play.

Michael Corvin 09-03-21 02:19 PM

:lol: I found it to be the 2nd worst 3d Mario since Sunshine. I couldn't even muster up the energy to finish it.

tanman 09-03-21 11:35 PM

Really? How so? What was so bad about it?

slop101 09-04-21 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13979365)
Agreed. Super Mario Odyssey is my favorite 3D Mario by a mile. Fantastic and an absolute joy to play.

I liked both Galaxy games better than Odyssey, though I'd put Odyssey as 3rd best after those (or maybe tied for 3rd with Mario 3D-World).
What held Odyssey back for me was the back-tracking and having to revisit previous levels in order to see everything.
Unless it's a metroid-vania, I like when I can progress through a game in more of a straight line, and do everything there is to do in a level while I'm there for the first time without having to go back.

Goonies85 09-04-21 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Goonies85 (Post 13978914)
Based on the Nintendo Switch games I've purchased so far, I'd rank them as follows:

1) Animal Crossing: New Horizons - just a flat out great game, one of which makes me actually wanna wake up each day just to play it, even if that means waking up at 5:00 AM.

2) Skyrim - Again, this is my third run-thru with this game, having previously owned it for the PS3 and PS4, but I'm loving it just as much. The controls are a little iffy, and I gotta get one of those main Nintendo controllers, but I'm enjoying it just as much as my previous sessions...

3) Mario Golf: Super Rush - this game may have gotten a lot of flack, and much of it was deserved. Should have more courses and whatnot, but I love golf and I'm loving this game...

4) Resident Evil 4 - Still enjoying this, but like I said before, I really need to get one of those Pro Controllers, cause the Joy-Cons just don't work for this game.

5) Super Smash Bros. - Just a classic. I really like it, but would probably enjoy it more if I had buddies to play it with, in person, as opposed to online...

6) Stardew Valley - Really liking this one, but there's a bit of a learning curve...Hope to get the hang of it more later on...

8) Super Mario Odessey - Fun...Getting better, with more worlds opening up, but there's still parts that really, really frustrate me, and I'll die like ten times before tackling certain areas...It's still fun, but I feel it's a weaker Mario game...And nowhere close to as fun as something like Super Mario Sunshine was...

9) Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I still don't get it. I hated it at first, and then conquered three Shrines and was like, this is an okay game...Then came the Shrine that's in the ice inhabit, and I still for the life of me can't figure it out...Sure, I could look online, but I always feel like that's cheating, and I like to figure things out on my own...So this game is bugging me a great deal...Might pick it up and play again, but at this point? I'm much more looking to more Animal Crossing, Skryim, and Mario Golf...And I really hope they add more courses to Mario Golf, cause it really is a blast to play, but at a certain point, I want more variety in the courses...

I think those are pretty much the games I have...Kinda wanna buy one of those Pokemon games, but that'll be in the next paycheck...

Purchased Pokemon: Shield, which is fun enough. I haven't actually played a Pokemon game since my first one, which I think was on a cousin's GameBoy...or maybe a GameBoy Advance. I found it very addictive. Only thing I'm not liking so much is the absolutely weird Pokemon characters...Like, I felt the original ones had more character and whatnot, but I understand why they'd alter that so you're not constantly collecting the same Pokemon characters over and over....

Also had some funds saved up with Nintendo Points or whatever they're called, and noticed they had some Super Street Fighter Mega Collection, so I though, what the hell, I'll buy that. I think it was only like $12 Canadian. Supposedly has like 8-10 games, including the classic originals. I still have those games on my Classic SNES, but it's fun having them portable now...And at that price, it was a steal...

And props to whoever it was that told me about that Mario Kart trick. I honestly didn't know that so was constantly pausing the game at the starts of every match...That trick is very helpful and super appreciated...And I understand your point about how that thing can be useful, but I just feel it limits me too much when it comes to shortcut routes and whatnot...

And finally picked up Civilization VI, as the Nintendo eShop had it onside for like $20, which is a great deal, in my mind. Looking forward to playing it, but I know it'll be a major time commitment...Haven't actually played one of the series since Civ 2...or 3, can't remember...Loved making the Wonders of the World or whatever they were called and just slowly gathering resources, although, like I said before, I've never even come close to finishing it...It was just a nightmare at a certain point, with mobs storming my cities and rioting...But I loved building roads and railroads and whatnot, and establishing a cool country...

The Questyen 09-04-21 03:45 PM

The Mario Kart accessibility thing is for kids or beginners. If you know how to play then turn it off once and it stays off on your file.

Goonies85 09-04-21 05:54 PM

That's a good idea. I appreciate the head's up, cause like I said, I was basically pausing the start of each match. Didn't know it was that easy to switch off. And I get why they did it, it definitely makes it easier for kids to play, but it's way funner, in my mind, to play without it. So many other shortcuts you can do and whatnot...It's a little more challenging but I like it like that...

Also, apparently it was Pokemon: Sword, not Shield I got (I had someone deliver it and I just let her pick one. It's still fun, but honestly, I'm still playing way more Mario Golf. I understand the negative reviews, and it should've had more courses and it should've had more modes, but to me? It's still really fun. I'm actually enjoying it far more than Mario Kart or Smash Bros., to be honest...Maybe it's just that I'm a golfing fan, but, man, the game is fun...

Civilization VI has been a bit more difficult. Definitely a learning curve, (kinda like Stardew Valley), but I'm still enjoying it. That Street Fighter Mega Collection on the other hand? I love that s**t. Love playing those games I played as a kid. Still wish I had a buddy to play with, but I still enjoy them...And I'm still grinding my way through Resident Evil 4...still tough to play with the Joy-Cons, but I'm slowly getting the handle on them...

tanman 09-04-21 10:49 PM

That's what is brilliant about the Mario Kart auto setting. You don't have to adjust your playing or pick an easier level. You can play on the same track with whatever character you want with a beginner player. It's very rare in a game where you can play simultaneously on different difficulty settings. They even balance it so you can't get the top boost if you use those handicaps.

fujishig 09-07-21 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 13980026)
That's what is brilliant about the Mario Kart auto setting. You don't have to adjust your playing or pick an easier level. You can play on the same track with whatever character you want with a beginner player. It's very rare in a game where you can play simultaneously on different difficulty settings. They even balance it so you can't get the top boost if you use those handicaps.

It and Mario Party are probably the two games my kids enjoy the most because even the younger ones can win with practice and luck. Mario Party especially, you can dominate all the minigames and still lose.

The switch is the system that has really turned my younger kids towards games, mainly because they can start up easing into games and as they get better, turn off the handicaps. Odyssey is the same way.

Goonies85 09-07-21 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Goonies85 (Post 13979923)
Also, apparently it was Pokemon: Sword, not Shield I got (I had someone deliver it and I just let her pick one. It's still fun, but honestly, I'm still playing way more Mario Golf. I understand the negative reviews, and it should've had more courses and it should've had more modes, but to me? It's still really fun. I'm actually enjoying it far more than Mario Kart or Smash Bros., to be honest...Maybe it's just that I'm a golfing fan, but, man, the game is fun...

Civilization VI has been a bit more difficult. Definitely a learning curve, (kinda like Stardew Valley), but I'm still enjoying it. That Street Fighter Mega Collection on the other hand? I love that s**t. Love playing those games I played as a kid. Still wish I had a buddy to play with, but I still enjoy them...And I'm still grinding my way through Resident Evil 4...still tough to play with the Joy-Cons, but I'm slowly getting the handle on them...

Pokemon: Sword has been fun, albeit surprisingly (even frustratingly) easy thus far. I know I haven't really met the more superior Pokemon yet, but right now I'm kind of cruising through it. I know it was really aimed at a younger crowd, but damn, it's pretty simple. I'm not liking that your path is pretty much defined...Like, as much as I was told it was more of an "open-world" game, most of it really doesn't seem like this. The so-called "Wild Area" is kind of neat, but still, for the most part I'm just kicking ass, and often it's the same damn 5 or 6 Pokemon I'm dealing with. It seems like the game will get a little deeper as I move on, but right now I just consider it more of a diversion than anything...Don't have to put much thought into it, just pop in and play...

Had to do the Civ VI Tutorial, as I was just getting killed playing the regular game (had I been playing the PC version, I probably could've picked it up quicker, but learning the controls on the Switch has been a bit of a struggle...but I'm picking them up and looks like I'll enjoy the game quite a bit)...

Mario: Odyssey is a little bit better, now that I've unlocked certain new worlds. I've enjoyed the whole Metro/City level, and there's some Beach level (Sunrise Beach or something like that) that I've really enjoyed...Can't believe how many of these Power Moons there are, but I've got like 102 or something like that, which I think is decent so far. Like I said before though, certain aspects still frustrate me, as there's just certain little side-missions or whatever you wanna call them that in which I have to literally try them like 10 or more times before I actually beat them, which wouldn't bother me, but most of the time you have to start at the very beginning (despite saving) or even further back, and you have to once again travel all the way to the area in question and start all over again. That can get annoying. Especially if it's just me trying to have Mario jump from one brick/area to another...and you fall, and boom, back to square one.

Animal Crossing remains the go-to game, but I dislike it when they do something like close Nook's Cranny for the day, just cause it's getting moved and being made bigger or whatever. Just annoying cause anything I collect that day has to basically be placed in storage, as I don't have room to carry it all when I want to collect other stuff as well...But I digress...