DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/637801-nintendo-switch-building-new-generation-hardware-scratch.html)

fujishig 03-23-21 10:45 AM

Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13909920)
This is expensive for a third party controller but looks really nice.
​​​​​​https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1...666721284?s=19

Looks cool but there's no chance I preorder a hundred dollar controller from Power A, I need to see reviews first.

milo bloom 03-23-21 04:27 PM

So, no chatter about the Pro? I'm not interested in rebuying my Switch games in 4K versions, but if it has an upconversion algorithm that can smooth out some weird edges on existing games then I might be interested. But they're talking $350-$400 for something like that.

Mike86 03-23-21 05:02 PM

Depending on the price I’ll buy Switch Pro or whatever it ends up being called. Mainly because the battery on my current Switch isn’t very good. Plus it’ll be nice getting an upgraded model. I’ll probably keep my original model at this point though too.

fujishig 03-23-21 05:08 PM

Until we get something more concrete I'm not sure there's more to talk about. Even that price is pure speculation.

I'll probably get one, and I'm curious how they'll handle the split market (they didn't handle it all that well with the DSi, the new 3ds and such, at least as far as using the upgraded hardware well)

E Unit 03-23-21 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13910153)
So, no chatter about the Pro? I'm not interested in rebuying my Switch games in 4K versions, but if it has an upconversion algorithm that can smooth out some weird edges on existing games then I might be interested. But they're talking $350-$400 for something like that.

That's what this Pro sounds like it'll be doing. They're using an upgraded Nvidia chip that will have some kind of "AI upscaling" that won't tax the memory and processor. I'm pretty happy with my current one.

https://www.ign.com/articles/new-nin...e-this-holiday

Adam Tyner 03-23-21 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13910153)
So, no chatter about the Pro?

I’m looking forward to it, especially because of DLSS. I’m really hoping that’ll help with some of the dodgier visual elements of Switch games.

I’d be surprised if there are any (or more than a trickle at worst) pricey upgrades of existing Switch games. Pro-exclusives, probably. Games that don’t play nearly as great on the OG Switch, sure. But I think the titles they’re going to try to sell you on buying again will pre-date the Switch.

RichC2 03-23-21 09:05 PM

DLSS is amazing on PC, i cant imagine it being anything less than stellar for the Switch.

Dan 03-23-21 10:30 PM

My kid broke the USB charging port on my Switch. Now it won't charge. I imagine Nintendo will charge a lot to fix it... Ugh.

E Unit 03-24-21 11:32 AM

Yikes. Ugh...good time to get the Pro when it comes out...?

Dan 03-24-21 11:33 AM

But I need my Hades save file! :lol:

clappj 03-24-21 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13910310)
My kid broke the USB charging port on my Switch. Now it won't charge. I imagine Nintendo will charge a lot to fix it... Ugh.

What do you mean by "broke"? Did he actually break/bend the USB-C connector pinout "plate" inside the switch?

redbill 03-24-21 01:19 PM

should charge on the dock. unless its a Lite

Dan 03-24-21 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by clappj (Post 13910528)
What do you mean by "broke"? Did he actually break/bend the USB-C connector pinout "plate" inside the switch?

Here's a pic... It was kind of hard to get a good one, but you can see that the outer ring of the port is split all the way down. It's hard to see but the right side has a little tab that locks into the left side, but I can't push it back together.
The pins kind of look ok, but I tried charging it with a cable and with the dock. No dice. The dock's charging light comes on for a fraction of a second when I put it in there, but I tried (lightly) jiggling it and holding it in different ways, but still nothing. The port is no good.

Spoiler for size

fujishig 03-24-21 01:58 PM

Yikes, I'm almost afraid to ask, but how did that happen?

Dan 03-24-21 02:07 PM

:lol:
Changing cable was plugged in... she picked up the console then dropped it and it either yanked the cable out sideways or fell onto the cable/connector. Not sure and hard to get a straight answer out of an 8-year-old.

Anyway... None of the local shops do Switch repairs. There are others in Houston, but none close to me. And they all want $130+ to fix it. Looks like Nintendo may charge $99 up front and who knows how much after. Ugh.

And I don't have the skill/equipment to pull this off...

Jay G. 03-31-21 06:59 AM

Today's the last day to buy Super Mario 3D All-Stars, either digitally or physically.
https://arstechnica.com/staff/2021/0...time-to-do-it/

The Questyen 03-31-21 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 13913572)
Today's the last day to buy Super Mario 3D All-Stars, either digitally or physically.
https://arstechnica.com/staff/2021/0...time-to-do-it/

​​​​​​Just digitally. Physical copies will still be in stores until they sell out. Nintendo isn't having stores send back their unsold stock they just aren't printing more. Nintendo produced a lot of these so it will probably take awhile to sell out. The closest Target and Walmart to me had at least 50 copies the last time I was there.

PerryD 03-31-21 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13913574)
​​​​​​Just digitally. Physical copies will still be in stores until they sell out. Nintendo isn't having stores send back their unsold stock they just aren't printing more. Nintendo produced a lot of these so it will probably take awhile to sell out. The closest Target and Walmart to me had at least 50 copies the last time I was there.

Is it anticipated/rumored that they will release the titles individually and include Super Mario Galaxy 2 in the mix?

The Questyen 03-31-21 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 13913598)
Is it anticipated/rumored that they will release the titles individually and include Super Mario Galaxy 2 in the mix?

That is the rumor that they are just going to sell them digitally separately but who knows with Nintendo.

Adam Tyner 03-31-21 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 13913598)

I don't know what the likelihood of this happening actually is, but I've wondered if they'll do a 3D All-Stars II that includes Galaxy 2 alongside up-rezzed versions of Super Mario 3D Land and maybe the two New Super Mario Bros. games, depending on how far Nintendo is willing to stretch "3D".

I do suspect that Nintendo will make 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy available somehow, even if it's no longer in a bundle, but there's never really any telling with Nintendo.

tanman 03-31-21 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13913727)
I don't know what the likelihood of this happening actually is, but I've wondered if they'll do a 3D All-Stars II that includes Galaxy 2 alongside up-rezzed versions of Super Mario 3D Land and maybe the two New Super Mario Bros. games, depending on how far Nintendo is willing to stretch "3D".

I do suspect that Nintendo will make 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy available somehow, even if it's no longer in a bundle, but there's never really any telling with Nintendo.

Yeah who knows. They seem to like to leave a lot of money on the table. But then again they sometimes come through with second reprints and such of Amiibos and the Classic consoles.

tanman 03-31-21 09:31 PM

I'm really going to miss Mario 35. That was the best way to play the OG Mario. Really shook the formula up and made it infinitely replayable.

PerryD 04-01-21 01:14 PM

Looks like a new sale has started with some Lego games, Crash and Spyro.
https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals/

I had Blazing Chrome on my wish list and got notified for a sale for it also, a well reviewed Contra style game.

Decker 04-04-21 08:53 PM

Just got back from Mexico. Most things there are considerably cheaper than in the US, but not in the Video Game world.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...3510000d1c.jpg

This is at Costco. A Switch with one $60 (now discontinued) game are being sold as a bundle for $9500 pesos, which is about $475 US, or $115 more than it would be in the US! Ouch

fujishig 04-04-21 11:42 PM

Try Europe. I think I remember the next gen retail prices going up to like 90 bucks there.

Also I found this reddit thread that confirms that when the switch was released in MX, it was 10,000 pesos for the base system:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi..._is_outraging/