DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/637801-nintendo-switch-building-new-generation-hardware-scratch.html)

DVDTalker76 12-20-16 06:27 PM

re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

To me, this is starting to look like a bad situation.

Does this thing not look a whole lot like the Wii U? The system they're trying to erase the memory of ASAP? You've got another limited-mobility tablet thingy front and center, likely with similarly weak battery life. This is NOT what anybody expected when it was first leaked that Nintendo would merge their home and portable lines. The tablet will not come anywhere near replacing the functionality of a true handheld machine.

I guess that leak of its supposed power level is really driving things home. They just keep making the same damn mistakes. Look, you can downplay the importance of graphics and play up the first-party library at the same time, but why continue to make things harder than they need to be? It is bare obvious fact that the marketplace will be kinder to you if you have a large, varied library than if you don't. This is what third parties can give you. Now, yet again, Nintendo looks to be guaranteeing they won't have this. Using a different architecture than everyone else was already a big roadblock. For a third generation in a row NOT being power-competitive as well..? They might as well admit they're not even trying.

I will say up front that I would rather see them go third party than continue pushing out these oddball platforms I'd rather not invest in. Still, I think my growing apprehension about this thing comes more from the reality of its prospects than any bias I've got. For sure, this thing will sell bonkers out of the gate.. just like the Wii U. But is there anything here that speaks to a mainstream audience with legs, an audience beyond Nintendo's fanbase? I really can't see it.

Adam Tyner 12-20-16 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 12971788)
:shrug: I guess my problem is/was expecting a successor to the WiiU not the 3ds. I also don't think it's unreasonable to hope for a new console lagging nearly 4 years behind the competition to be in the same ballpark as 4 year old system, spec-wise.

I'm with you about all that. I really thought the rumors about something almost-Xbox One-ish were on-point.

What I meant before is...I mean, Assassin's Creed: Black Flag came out for the Xbox 360 and PS3 first, and it was a launch title for the PS4 and Xbox One when they followed a few weeks later. If, for some reason, Black Flag were one of the only title announcements you'd come across, would you assume that the PS4 and XB1 are barely more powerful than their predecessors?

"Hey, it looks like Dark Souls 3 may come out for the Switch!"
"Ugh, the hardware must be terrible then."

Though that conclusion looks like it wound up being right :D, I just don't see how the former suggests the latter.

fumanstan 12-20-16 07:13 PM

Even though i'm not entirely keen on on the Switch, playing devil's advocate a bit...

Originally Posted by wtsang (Post 12972705)
TThe tablet will not come anywhere near replacing the functionality of a true handheld machine.

Not sure I agree with that, what is it lacking that a 3DS (minus the second screen) or Vita has? Seems like it should work perfectly fine as a handheld and if anything, excels at that more then a regular console.

It is bare obvious fact that the marketplace will be kinder to you if you have a large, varied library than if you don't. This is what third parties can give you. Now, yet again, Nintendo looks to be guaranteeing they won't have this. Using a different architecture than everyone else was already a big roadblock. For a third generation in a row NOT being power-competitive as well..? They might as well admit they're not even trying.
On the other hand, the 3DS did have decent third party support and coupled with the fact that it has the same architecture as a mobile platform, I actually do think it's likely that we see improvement by that alone over the Wii U. Thinking about the Switch as just a Wii U successor looks poor, but thinking about it as both a 3DS and Wii U successor, and hoping that it's sales and support are more along the lines of a Nintendo handheld, puts it in a different category.

Adam Tyner 12-20-16 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12972761)
On the other hand, the 3DS did have decent third party support and coupled with the fact that it has the same architecture as a mobile platform, I actually do think it's likely that we see improvement by that alone over the Wii U.

...and it's an architecture that plays nicely with the major engines, so that removes one of the barriers that the Wii U faced.

There's a gulf between "not powerful" and "not powerful enough", and we don't know enough yet to say that the Switch crosses over into the dark side there. That may very well turn out to be the case, but there's a little optimism still burning over here in my corner, anyway.

At the end of the day, I think demographics are more of a deterrent for third parties than teraflops. If the Switch could meet the PS4 Pro punch for punch, but third parties still thought "gamers buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games", it doesn't matter how powerful the hardware is or how easy it is to develop for.

DVDTalker76 12-20-16 09:40 PM

Not sure I agree with that, what is it lacking that a 3DS (minus the second screen) or Vita has?
It's WAAAY bigger and isn't clamshell. That's an over six-inch screen bookended by the control attachments. Both the DS and 3DS claimed legions of young fans who would snap the thing shut and stick it in their back pocket before hopping on their skateboard or onto the subway. Ain't no way that's happening with this thing.

I also suspect the battery life is going to be closer to 3 hours than 5. That will impact its usability away from the dock.

demographics are more of a deterrent for third parties than teraflops
Yes. Do we really think there is a mainstream pull for people to take their Nintendo tablet out of the home, kickstand it on a picnic table and gather their other, mainstream friends around to grab the "JoyCons"? Again, don't see it.

Rival11 12-21-16 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12926899)
A revolutionary concept! If we lived in a world where smartphones and tablets didn't exist.

Should have just closed the thread after this and deftones post of laughing at people huddled around a phone playing multiplayer.

This is definitely something for hardcore gamers only IMO

fumanstan 12-21-16 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by wtsang (Post 12972838)
It's WAAAY bigger and isn't clamshell. That's an over six-inch screen bookended by the control attachments. Both the DS and 3DS claimed legions of young fans who would snap the thing shut and stick it in their back pocket before hopping on their skateboard or onto the subway. Ain't no way that's happening with this thing.

I also suspect the battery life is going to be closer to 3 hours than 5. That will impact its usability away from the dock.

In an age where everyone's cell phones are up to 6 inches and using 7-10" tablets, I don't think the size of this is as big of a detractor as you think. Nor the clam shell. But maybe I don't think of kids having handhelds in their pocket as big of an influence that you do (and that's what backpacks are for, anyway).

Adam Tyner 12-21-16 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rival11 (Post 12973030)
This is definitely something for hardcore gamers only IMO

Looking at those tiny, awkward Joy-Cons with only one stick each, the number of hardcore gamer-type games you could realistically control has gotta be somewhere close to zero.

Sub-Zero 12-22-16 06:50 PM

Nintendo Switch Spec Rumors Tip WQHD TV Resolution & 1080p Screen But No VR

BY CHRISTOPHER GROUX ON 12/22/16 AT 10:04 AM

Nintendo Switch spec rumors continue alongside the reveal of the console’s alleged clock speeds earlier this week. This time it’s Takashi Mochizuki of The Wall Street Journal offering up tweets about the console’s portable display and VR prospects from trusted analysts.

Despite many insiders suggesting the Switch’s portable 6.2-inch screen would have a display resolution of 720p, Mochizuki’s sources at the Ace Research Institute claim otherwise. “Nintendo Switch’s resolution not likely 1080 to 720 but WQHD to 1080, the tweet, reads. In other words, the implication is that the Switch will display games at WQHD on TVs and 1080p in portable mode.

For those who don’t know what WQHD resolution is, it’s essentially an image with four times the pixels of 720p resolution. While calling it 2K can be a bit of a misnomer, it’s easy to think of it as a half-step between full HD at 1080p and the 4K resolution standard. If true, it’s a lot better than what previous spec leaks have suggested.

Additionally, Mochizuki’s source also said those recent patents for a head-mounted display for Nintendo Switch should be taken as a concept rather than reality. “VR just for patent purpose not likely to be used,” the tweet concludes. This much is not surprising given what the device’s latest clock speeds show. If the unit is seemingly less powerful than many tablet competitors, a solid VR solution would be difficult to accomplish without a considerable hardware upgrade.

Mochizuki also mentions a supposed internal bus speed of 5Gbps for the unit, which greatly dwarves the 128 MBps offered by the likes of the 3DS.

Like any good rumor, however, these claims aren’t the gospel. While Mochizuki was correct in covering the Switch’s portable and cartridge-based nature in the past, there are others that disagree with his display suggestions. Notable among those is Nintendo insider Emily Rogers. Following the source tweet, she doubled down on the 720p portable spec as a means to conserve battery life. On TVs, resolutions could be rendered at 1080p or possibly 4K in rare instances.

Rogers is probably a safer bet given that her connections seem to be closer to Nintendo employees or developers rather than those who specialize in hardware enough to make an educated guess. If there’s anything gamers know about Nintendo, it’s that this company doesn’t often take the most likely path. In that sense, even the most qualified of analyses can be deeply flawed.

Nintendo Switch is expected to release in March 2017.

What do you think of these rumors? Is WQHD possible given the unit’s specs? Is this analyst wrong? Tell us in the comments section!

http://www.ibtimes.com/nintendo-swit...-no-vr-2464237

Sonny Corinthos 12-27-16 11:51 AM

Reliable video game journalist Laura Dale recently participated in an Ask Me Anything on the Nintendo Switch SubReddit. Naturally people were intrigued about whether she had heard anything regarding the upcoming Nintendo Switch reveal event on January 12th. Here’s what she has learned from her trust worthy sources:

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/12/2...-reveal-event/

mattysemo247 12-27-16 01:02 PM

The Switch will likely have a three-hour battery life but may go longer if settings are lowered.
That doesn't sound too promising.

Michael Corvin 12-27-16 02:43 PM

Underpowered for a console and a horrible battery for a portable. Don't ever change Nintendo.

DVDTalker76 12-27-16 04:48 PM

Yep. Sounds like not only are they repeating their usual stubborn mistakes, but the hardware is also suffering from being rushed to market to replace the Wii U.

I suppose we can continue to hope for better news at the actual hard reveal -

SunMonkey 12-28-16 02:16 AM

Yeah, probably should wait for the New Switch XL Zelda edition down the road.

mattysemo247 12-28-16 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by SunMonkey (Post 12977009)
Yeah, probably should wait for the New Switch XL Zelda edition down the road.

With improved battery life!

Sonny Corinthos 01-04-17 11:44 AM

Nintendo Switch Accessories Announced by Snakebyte.

Germany-based manufacturer, Snakebyte group, has announced new accessories for the Nintendo Switch and the hard-to-find NES Classic Edition.
Snakebyte describes the accessories as “designed to enhance the portable nature of the Switch console.” One of the two is a foldable headset that can be used for gaming on the go. The Foldable Headset delivers clear gaming audio using 40mm diameter drivers according to the product description.

The company’s Nintendo Switch Starter Kit, on the other hand, is a collection of useful items to protect the system's tablet screen and enhance your gaming experience. The kit includes a carry bag, wired stereo earbuds, screen protector, cleaning cloth, along with control caps and game cases. Snakebyte also announced an NES Classic Edition USB power adapter and a Gamepad extension cable that adds a 9.8 feet to your controller length.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/...d-by-snakebyte

Adam Tyner 01-05-17 01:44 PM

http://i.imgur.com/dEh01KO.jpg

That's...errrr, an interesting time to start. AND ON FRIDAY THE 13TH TOO

fumanstan 01-07-17 04:26 AM

I'm holding out hope that the battery life isn't as miserable as the rumors have said, but yeah if it's that poor it will be extremely disappointing. Basically an attempt at the best of both handheld/console worlds but being mediocre/poor in both.

Adam Tyner 01-08-17 11:37 AM

Nikkei reports a 25,000 yen price for the Switch, which is close enough to $250 USD to indicate that previous leaks are on the money. (Okay, okay, converted it's around $215, but you know how international prices of game consoles actually work.)

The rumors are that there'll be a base model for $250 and a deluxe with more storage and a game (an updated Splatoon?) for $300, but Nikkei doesn't get into that.

Sonny Corinthos 01-09-17 01:12 PM

The latest Nintendo Switch rumour doesn’t bode well for US consumers looking to get their hands on the upcoming Nintendo Switch in March. A GameStop insider apparently said that getting the Nintendo Switch at launch will pose to be a difficult endeavour as the majority of GameStop stores won’t be allocated enough stock to fulfil demand.

Our inside source, the same source that gave us the info on the advertising and stuff like that. He said “Getting the switch at gamestop might be a bit of a difficult endeavor because it seems that, not all, but a good majority of gamestop stores are not going to have to many switch units to go around.”

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/01/0...edium=facebook

Decker 01-09-17 01:17 PM

Really? Nintendo might not produce enough units at launch to meet demand? Wow, that's a shock.

fumanstan 01-09-17 01:17 PM

Yeah, that's not really much of a rumor. Let alone an inside source.

bunkaroo 01-09-17 01:21 PM

My policy with any Nintendo system from now on is if I can readily purchase it online without camping on sites or I see it at a store when I'm there for another reason, I'll buy it. Otherwise, fuck it. If that means I never get one then fine.

stingermck 01-09-17 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12984442)
Really? Nintendo might not produce enough units at launch to meet demand? Wow, that's a shock.

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12984444)
Yeah, that's not really much of a rumor. Let alone an inside source.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 12984447)
My policy with any Nintendo system from now on is if I can readily purchase it online without camping on sites or I see it at a store when I'm there for another reason, I'll buy it. Otherwise, fuck it. If that means I never get one then fine.

This, this and this.

ranspang 01-09-17 08:13 PM

Nintendo almost seems like they are trying to fail.
When the NES classic was announced in july, I thought must buy for me and several more to give as gifts, as I have multiple friends who would love it. But, no preorders made me a little wary of what was going to happen.
November 11 arrives and stores get almost no stock, so if you want it you have to camp out for limited supplies or go to ebay scalpers. 2 months later and you still can't find it in stores.
Then Mario Run gets released for IOS only, $9.99 for an app, OK game but not worth $10 dollars.
Now we come to the Switch, a reportedly under powered console/handheld combo that will also be on short supply at launch?
I think the WiiU will look like a massive success in comparison to this.
By the way I used to love Nintendo.