Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 05:59 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

NINTENDO SWITCH / 15 DEC 2016
NEW NINTENDO SWITCH PATENTS SHOW VR HEADSET ACCESSORY

World 20-20.

BY JOE SKREBELS

A new set of Nintendo patents for its upcoming home-handheld hybrid Switch console show what appears to be an accessory allowing for virtual reality play.

Spotted by NeoGAF user Rösti, the accessory is referred to as an "HMD (head mounted display)", and appears to work similarly to Google and Samsung's smartphone VR solutions - the core Switch tablet is placed into a headset, which features lenses to create the 3D effect.

The patent also describes being able to use the detachable Joycon controllers while using the headset, although does not say whether they would utilise motion controls while doing so.

The patent description notes that in the "present embodiment" of the Switch, it will use acceleration and angular velocity sensors to perform head tracking. However, the patent also indicates that the Switch console may not contain those sensors, meaning the headset itself will perform the tracking. The patents were published today, December 15, but were filed on June 10, meaning the choice will almost certainly have been finialised in the interim.

As with all patents, this filing does not necessarily mean the accessory will be released, simply that Nintendo considers it a possibility and wants to safeguard its work in researching it.

Nintendo president, Tatsumi Kimishima did recently reveal that the Switch would feature more accessories than we had so far been shown, and Nintendo has previously confirmed that it has researched VR.

That said, maybe don't hold out hope for that seemingly new Mario game to take advantage of it - Shigeru Miyamoto has already said it "doesn't really fit" the classic series.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/12/...dset-accessory
Old 12-15-16, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Hmmm. Since it's reportedly not that high resolution a screen, I wonder how well that'd work.
Old 12-15-16, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, on my Google Pixel XL I can still see the individual pixels on the screen with the Daydream View. On a presumed 720p screen it would be much worse, although patents could just be something Nintendo is messing around with rather then actually releasing a product.
Old 12-16-16, 09:45 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

http://www.comingsoon.net/games/news...ch-reveal-tour

Nintendo Switch Reveal Tour Announced

Nintendo has announced today that following the official unveiling of the upcoming Nintendo Switch on January 12, Nintendo’s next home gaming system is traveling across North America to provide hands-on time for fans, gamers, families and everyone in between. Nintendo Switch will be the star of an interactive multi-city tour that is open to the public on select days. The currently-scheduled cities that are part of the Nintendo Switch reveal tour include:

New York – Jan. 13-15
Toronto – Jan. 27-29
Washington, D.C. – Feb. 10-12
Chicago – Feb. 17-19
San Francisco – Feb. 24-26
Los Angeles – March 3-5

The first two days of each of these tour stops is invite-only, but Nintendo is changing things up and asking fans to join the fun on the third day. The Sunday stop of each tour is open free to the public, so anyone that wants to be among the first people in the world to experience Nintendo Switch will have her or his chance. Space is very limited, however, and fans will be let in on a first-come, first-served basis. Early arrival is highly recommended.

The interactive and engaging tour will let people of all ages experience Nintendo Switch for the first time and play select launch games in very original and surprising settings. Each of these unique areas will highlight the different ways Nintendo Switch can be played.

In addition to these Nintendo Switch reveal tour stops, Nintendo will bring the Switch and launch games to PAX South in San Antonio (Jan. 27-29), PAX East in Boston (March 10-12) and SXSW in Austin, Texas (March 16-18). Anyone that misses out on the Preview Tour can catch Nintendo Switch at one of these events.

Additional details about Nintendo Switch will be revealed during the Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 on January 12.

In related Nintendo news, a special Holiday greeting has made its way online from the company featuring some new footage from the upcoming The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Check it out below!

Old 12-16-16, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I like how big the the new Zelda world looks, but man, everything I've seen has the world looking absolutely lifeless and deserted.
Old 12-16-16, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Yeah, I'm really hoping they scaled back on foliage for the sake of having these vids run smoothly. Gamer have come to expect quite a bit more from open world games thanks to the like of TES and GTA.
Old 12-16-16, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Yeah, that video really pales in comparison to Steep, a recent open-world game that hasn't made a blip on the gaming scene and will soon hit the bargain bins :

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tLd9SWnhevE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-16-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is Steep any good?
(I miss SSX)
Old 12-16-16, 11:28 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Open-world snowboarding?? I'm intrigued, too.
Old 12-16-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I played the Beta. I quite liked it except the paragliding parts that were really boring and hard to control
Old 12-19-16, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Eurogamer on Switch specs. Unless someone's trolling them, they're quoting developer documentation, so they seem really certain about this. The real world result may differ, but apparently we're looking at something close to 2.5 times the performance of the Wii U and somewhere around a third of the Xbox One. I figured it'd be sub-Xbox One, but I didn't think it'd be that far off.

Clock-speeds are a crucial piece of information required to get some idea of Switch's capabilities beyond the physical make-up of the Tegra processor. As many have speculated, the new Nintendo hardware does indeed feature two performance configurations - and the console is categorically not as capable in mobile form, compared to its prowess when docked and attached to an HDTV. And we can confirm that there is no second GPU or additional hardware in the dock itself regardless of the intriguing patents that Nintendo has filed suggesting that there might be. With battery life and power throughput no longer an issue, the docked Switch simply allows the GPU to run much faster. And to put it simply, there is a night and day difference here.

Where Switch remains consistent is in CPU power - the cores run at 1020MHz regardless of whether the machine is docked or undocked. This ensures that running game logic won't be compromised while gaming on the go: the game simulation itself will remain entirely consistent. The machine's embedded memory controller runs at 1600MHz while docked (on par with a standard Tegra X1), but the default power mode undocked sees this drop to 1331MHz. However, developers can opt to retain full memory bandwidth in their titles should they choose to do so.

As things stand, CPU clocks are halved compared to the standard Tegra X1, but it's the GPU aspect of the equation that will prove more controversial. Even while docked, Switch doesn't run at Tegra X1's full potential. Clock-speeds are locked here at 768MHz, considerably lower than the 1GHz found in Shield Android TV, but the big surprise from our perspective was the extent to which Nintendo has down-clocked the GPU to hit its thermal and battery life targets. That's not a typo: it really is 307.2MHz - meaning that in portable mode, Switch runs at exactly 40 per cent of the clock-speed of the fully docked device. And yes, the table below does indeed confirm that developers can choose to hobble Switch performance when plugged in to match the handheld profile should they so choose.
But perhaps the biggest takeaway from this is that those hoping for Switch to bring Nintendo back into contention with Microsoft and Sony's hardware should temper expectations. While there will be multi-platform projects (a point Nintendo made in its reveal with the Skyrim footage), we should not expect to see Switch versions of cutting-edge blockbusters. That should be fairly obvious when we consider that Xbox One S uses 16nm FinFET technology with gaming power draw in the region of 75-80W. Nvidia's GPU technology is more power-efficient, but it stands to reason that a mobile device (which typically operate with a 5-10W power budget) won't be in the same league.
A number of insiders have said that current-gen third party ports would be a breeze to bring to the Switch, but that sure sounds less likely if Eurogamer's sources are on the money.

tl;dr: The Switch isn't a console you take on the go; it's a handheld you can play on your TV. That's sort of where my head was, so I'm not all that disappointed, and I'm still onboard for anything that plays Nintendo games, but this is lower than most people's lowest expectations. It's a portable Wii U that's a Wii U Plus when docked. If you look at it as a 3DS replacement, then it's multiple generations forward.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 12-19-16 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-19-16, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Kind of matches the GFLOP numbers I posted earlier The reduction running in tablet mode is a lot more then I thought.
Old 12-19-16, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Figured it would be like that - powerful for a portable handheld, but way under-powered for a dedicated console.

I suppose this is more of the next-gen of handheld devices, not TV gaming consoles.
Old 12-19-16, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

3x less powerful than what will be a 3.5 year old console? So we're back to:

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
You don't think that's good news?
No. Pretty much this:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I don't think so. If the bar is getting a current generation game running on a system that isn't even out yet that is already running on hardware that is three years old doesn't seem encouraging.
Old 12-19-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's reasonable to have assumed it was the next-gen of handheld devices since it is a handheld device with a glorified hdmi dock.
Old 12-19-16, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess, but man what a letdown for console consumers. I have zero interest in a portable.
Old 12-19-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
I think it's reasonable to have assumed it was the next-gen of handheld devices since it is a handheld device with a glorified hdmi dock.
Another give away is that the games come on what are essentially cartridges instead of optical discs. What's the capacity of those things anyways?
Old 12-19-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by slop101
Another give away is that the games come on what are essentially cartridges instead of optical discs. What's the capacity of those things anyways?
Rumor was 16 GB.
Old 12-19-16, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Rumor was 16 GB.
Yeah, that's not bad, but almost every major next-gen game is double that and more. But then they've also gotten really lazy with compression and patches lately.
Old 12-19-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No. Pretty much this:
I still bristle at that comparison because no one, anywhere, ever set that as the bar.

It's a drag for those third-party cases where console+portability would've been terrific: really arcade-y stuff, RPGs and whatever else with mindless grinding, etc. It was destined to primarily be a Nintendo box for me either way, and I don't think more power would've amounted to too much there.
Old 12-19-16, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Switch isn't a console you take on the go; it's a handheld you can play on your TV.
Can I interest you in one of these?

Spoiler:

Old 12-19-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I'd probably play my Vita games more if I had one!
Old 12-19-16, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well good news for you then, Target has them on clearance. So you should't have a problem finding one for at least 50% off.
Old 12-19-16, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I still bristle at that comparison because no one, anywhere, ever set that as the bar.
I guess my problem is/was expecting a successor to the WiiU not the 3ds. I also don't think it's unreasonable to hope for a new console lagging nearly 4 years behind the competition to be in the same ballpark as 4 year old system, spec-wise.
Old 12-19-16, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Yeah if this is the case I'm a bit surprised they didn't advertise it more as a portable successor to the 3ds, that also has added functionality. I guess that's because the 3ds is actually still making them money.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.