Reload this Page >

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 09-21-19, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

My local Wal-Mart only received eight Nintendo Switch Lite systems. I was there at 7:30 am yesterday to get one for my Daughter for Christmas. It makes you wonder if this will be a hard to find holiday item.
Old 09-21-19, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Anyone playing the new Zelda today?
How is it?
I'm hearing mixed stuff, like the game is good, but gets in it's own way by being clunky with bad frame-rate/visual issues.
The visuals from what I've played have some judder that weirdly doesn't effect Link much at all but the fps drops are aesthetically noticeable and odd. Great game so far and overall visual style though.
Old 09-21-19, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The visuals from what I've played have some judder that weirdly doesn't effect Link much at all but the fps drops are aesthetically noticeable and odd. Great game so far and overall visual style though.
I'm going to have to unfortunately hold off on playing any more of it until it gets patched. I played for 30 minutes last night and it gave me a massive headache. It felt like the first time I played my PSVR.
Old 09-21-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
The SNES Switch controllers are up for sale now.
I wasn’t emailed a shipping confirmation, but logging into Nintendo’s website, I see that mine will be here on Tuesday. Glad they’re getting these out quickly!
Old 09-23-19, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Rakuten has the switch lites for 169.99 after coupon SAVE15:

warning, there seems to be a d-pad lottery with these, some can do diagonals fine, some can't.
Old 09-23-19, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

That sucks. I've definitely had more controller issues with Nintendo than with any other console manufacturer. GBA SP, every form of DS - none were particularly good with diagonals or precision controls. Now my Switch Pro controller is completely dead to stick drift and outside the warranty. I'm certainly not shelling out $60+ for another one of those if it's just going to break again.
Old 09-23-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

It's so weird that Nintendo of all people have trouble making good D-Pads. They had that shit mastered from jump street with the NES and SNES.
Old 09-23-19, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Mass Manufacturing fail
Old 09-23-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Maxflier
It's so weird that Nintendo of all people have trouble making good D-Pads. They had that shit mastered from jump street with the NES and SNES.
I think for a long time they actually held the patent as well.

I can understand the buttons in the place of the dpad on the joycon, they need to be that way for it to function as an individual controller. I don't understand how they could mess up the Pro controller and some of these lites (the problem with the lites that are off seems to be that the dpad doesn't stick out far enough and you need to put a lot of pressure to get a diagonal, plus the plastic gets in the way)
Old 09-23-19, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They don't have trouble, they simply don't care. Core gamers have been quite vocal about the Pro Controller for ~two years now, and nothing. No fix, not even an acknowledgment.

It's amazing how this company can be so stubborn about upholding certain standards, yet be completely impassive towards other glaring issues. One would think a commitment to quality - whatever the internal motivation - would apply across the board.
Old 09-23-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wtsang
They don't have trouble, they simply don't care. Core gamers have been quite vocal about the Pro Controller for ~two years now, and nothing. No fix, not even an acknowledgment.

It's amazing how this company can be so stubborn about upholding certain standards, yet be completely impassive towards other glaring issues. One would think a commitment to quality - whatever the internal motivation - would apply across the board.
Look at the glacial pace of their online offering. Part of it, I'm sure, is that nintendo fans will still buy stuff, the other part is that they probably have to choose where to focus and this isn't that big of a priority.

I thought the pro was slightly redesigned from the Xenoblade version (which I never saw) and on, but I'm not buying a new one until that's verified fixed so I don't know.
Old 09-23-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had two Switch pro controllers (a launch one and a Xenoblade version) and put 100+ hours into each and never had any problems. It's one of my favorite controllers.
Old 09-23-19, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I've had two Switch pro controllers (a launch one and a Xenoblade version) and put 100+ hours into each and never had any problems. It's one of my favorite controllers.
Do you use the dpad a lot, though? That's the major issue, the dpad registers up/down when hitting left/right.
Old 09-23-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Do you use the dpad a lot, though? That's the major issue, the dpad registers up/down when hitting left/right.
I use the d-pad when it's required to be used so no not a lot. Do you guys not use analog sticks?
Old 09-23-19, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I use the d-pad when it's required to be used so no not a lot. Do you guys not use analog sticks?
Of course I do. I'm just saying the complaints about the pro controller are mainly centered around the dpad, which is important because nintendo doesn't make anything else (well, besides the switch lite now) with a dpad for the system.
Old 09-24-19, 12:24 AM
Banned

I thought the pro was slightly redesigned from the Xenoblade version (which I never saw) and on, but I'm not buying a new one until that's verified fixed so I don't know.
The consensus seems to be that nothing was really fixed and there are just random "good" controllers out there. Anecdotally people cite good and bad dpads on all the different versions. I've come across one well-functioning dpad myself and it was on a regular black version with nothing to identify it. If you do buy a new one you're just going to have to keep returning/rebuying until - IF - you find a good one.

It really truly sucks because it's a fantastic-feeling controller overall; even the dpad was amazing to use on the ONE pad I stumbled across that actually worked as intended.

Old 09-24-19, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The consensus seems to be that nothing was really fixed and there are just random "good" controllers out there. Anecdotally people cite good and bad dpads on all the different versions. I've come across one well-functioning dpad myself and it was on a regular black version with nothing to identify it. If you do buy a new one you're just going to have to keep returning/rebuying until - IF - you find a good one.

It really truly sucks because it's a fantastic-feeling controller overall; even the dpad was amazing to use on the ONE pad I stumbled across that actually worked as intended.
Agreed that the controller otherwise is great. The battery life is phenomenal.
Old 09-24-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My issue was analog stick drift, i.e. you can set the controller down on the table and your character will still just randomly move around. It pretty much ruins any game when the controller is sending a signal to the system that you're moving up and to the left 75% of the time.

Until that started happening, the controller was great.
Old 09-24-19, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoVegan
My issue was analog stick drift, i.e. you can set the controller down on the table and your character will still just randomly move around. It pretty much ruins any game when the controller is sending a signal to the system that you're moving up and to the left 75% of the time.

Until that started happening, the controller was great.
I'm sure you've done this, but did you recalibrate the sticks? Joycon drift is pretty common but I hear about pro controller drift a lot less. That said, it is a problem, so if you've calibrated already have you tried this fix?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi..._analog_stick/
Old 09-24-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sure you've done this, but did you recalibrate the sticks? Joycon drift is pretty common but I hear about pro controller drift a lot less. That said, it is a problem, so if you've calibrated already have you tried this fix?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi..._analog_stick/
Thanks. Yeah, recalibrating didn't help - the drift is sporadic, so sometimes you can go into the calibration screen and the stick is dead center and a minute later, it'll be drifting.

Maybe I'll try that fix the next time I'm looking for a project. I guess it depends how much all the parts cost.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-19, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,171 Likes on 4,201 Posts

My SNES controller arrived tonight, though it showed OOS when I ordered it. Looks nice. Will have to try it out tomorrow.
Old 09-28-19, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I’m surprised that they sold through their initial stock of the Super Nintendo controller and that it's still unavailable.
Old 09-28-19, 02:15 PM
Banned

Sarcasm?
Old 09-28-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Sarcasm?
No? Legitimately I find it odd that they sold through that many of them (or didn’t make that many) in such a short period. I’d like to get one at some point.
Old 09-30-19, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Anyone use an 8bitdo controller? I loved it but recently started playing MM2 and now I notice input lag that I don't get with the pro controller. Anyone have this problem? I might end up getting a the SNES classic controller now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.