Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 07-24-19, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 192 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by redstang93
Thanks guys! And no game comes bundled with the console (i.e. Wii Sports)? I will keep my eye open for deals on the console.

Make sure to get the new Switch model in the all red box that should start hitting stores soon.
Old 07-24-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish the US was getting this Fire Emblem LE. I like the USB keychain soundtrack and pin set more than the CD and mini calendar. The steelbook and art book look damn good though.

Old 07-25-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,495 Likes on 4,441 Posts

Wow, the reviews for Fire Emblem : Three Houses are REALLY positive. Currently with a Metascore of 87 with over 50 reviews. Haven't been following the series, but this looks like a good game to get. Lots or replayability after a long campaign. Many reviewers talk about wanting to go back and play through it again right afterwards. Maybe the best RPG of 2019 so far. Looks like it's time to grab two more Vouchers...

Old 07-25-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Interesting. I haven't gotten a Fire Emblem game for a while. I guess I'll have to give that a look.

I wish they'd bring back the Advance Wars series.
Old 07-25-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

Target has a deal where you get 50% off any switch game with purchase of a Switch. Not a great deal but not the worst.
Old 07-26-19, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up Fire Emblem today, only got to play for about 30 minutes, but it looks great. I'm a huge fan of the series so I'm looking forward to really getting into it this weekend.
Old 07-30-19, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this has probably been discussed at length, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. I get how the primary and secondary switch stuff works, but I have a question I hope someone can answer.

My set up:

Account - This is my account, this is the account I use to buy downloaded games for my son.
Primary - my son's switch. He has had his switch since it came out and he has a ton of downloaded games from MY account, but he's on his switch with his profile
Secondary - mine (and my other son) switch. I have a couple of downloaded games that my son has on his. I also have a couple of hard copy games

I know that I can play any hard copy games. That makes sense. I also know that I can play the downloaded games as long as the primary confirms that he's not playing them.

My question is, is there a way for me to download a game that neither of us has, lets say Doom, and that it allows me to play it on my switch without needing the internet to check to see if the Primary switch is playing it (meaning I download it to the secondary switch, but the primary doesn't have it installed)? My guess is there isn't.
Old 07-30-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Switch Lite is available for preorder at the usual places.
Old 07-31-19, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,495 Likes on 4,441 Posts

Reminder : Last day to buy your Vouchers. Good for a year. I haven't played Fire Emblem : Three Houses yet, but my 13 year old son has and he's loving it.
Old 07-31-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
I know this has probably been discussed at length, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. I get how the primary and secondary switch stuff works, but I have a question I hope someone can answer.

My set up:

Account - This is my account, this is the account I use to buy downloaded games for my son.
Primary - my son's switch. He has had his switch since it came out and he has a ton of downloaded games from MY account, but he's on his switch with his profile
Secondary - mine (and my other son) switch. I have a couple of downloaded games that my son has on his. I also have a couple of hard copy games

I know that I can play any hard copy games. That makes sense. I also know that I can play the downloaded games as long as the primary confirms that he's not playing them.

My question is, is there a way for me to download a game that neither of us has, lets say Doom, and that it allows me to play it on my switch without needing the internet to check to see if the Primary switch is playing it (meaning I download it to the secondary switch, but the primary doesn't have it installed)? My guess is there isn't.
The only way to do that (right now) seems to be to buy the game through his account and make that account primary on his switch. Otherwise the secondary will always need to do an internet check for downloadable content, AND you have to be logged in as the primary user on that console.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo...intendo-switch

I could've sworn people said that you could play a game like mario kart on two consoles at once with sharing but it doesn't seem to be the case? I dunno, i don't have two switches (yet).
Old 07-31-19, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh well. I just wish there was a way to buy a game and say "This game will only ever be on the 2ndary switch", thus no check. Seems like that would be easy, just base it on the downloads. If the primary ever downloads it, it would cause a check to happen on the 2ndary.
Old 07-31-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
Oh well. I just wish there was a way to buy a game and say "This game will only ever be on the 2ndary switch", thus no check. Seems like that would be easy, just base it on the downloads. If the primary ever downloads it, it would cause a check to happen on the 2ndary.
I think the reason they don't do that (besides making things more complex) is that you could skirt the system and download it on the secondary first, disconnect, then download it on the primary.
Old 08-01-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks like Nintendo is trying to add a bit of value to their online service with a Game Trials program. Mario Tennis Aces will be free to play for a week, 8/7-8/13, plus 33% discount to buy.
Old 08-05-19, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 192 Posts

The new Switch models with the improved battery life have hit Gamestops. Picked one up tonight. And they are currently giving $200 for Switch trade ins fyi for anyone thinking of upgrading.
Old 08-05-19, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
The new Switch models with the improved battery life have hit Gamestops. Picked one up tonight. And they are currently giving $200 for Switch trade ins fyi for anyone thinking of upgrading.
So are people trading them in good with never jailbreaking and playing homebrew, or is it assumed the new models will eventually be cracked as well?
Old 08-06-19, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,048 Likes on 751 Posts

Gee, I wish I could trade mine in now and just wait for the Lite preorder but Nintendo won't let me since I wouldn't be able to keep any of my saves/data.
Old 08-06-19, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
Gee, I wish I could trade mine in now and just wait for the Lite preorder but Nintendo won't let me since I wouldn't be able to keep any of my saves/data.
You mean cloud saves? Those should be retained as long as your Switch Online subscription is active.
Old 08-06-19, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
You mean cloud saves? Those should be retained as long as your Switch Online subscription is active.
i'm not going to pay Nintendo for the ability to keep my saves. I already lost a 100+ hour Zelda save because I thought I could simply take my memory card from one system to another. I was wrong. They wouldn't give me access to my own save game data unless I had the serial number of the original system, which I didn't.
Old 08-06-19, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i'm not going to pay Nintendo for the ability to keep my saves. I already lost a 100+ hour Zelda save...
I know it's probably the principle of the matter for you, but which is more important to you: $20/year or a 100+ hour Zelda save?
Old 08-06-19, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I know it's probably the principle of the matter for you, but which is more important to you: $20/year or a 100+ hour Zelda save?
$20 a year. I had the game completed minus a few of the temples and I'll just skip any DLC. They lost my money on the season pass.
Old 08-06-19, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, not all games have cloud saves (like Splatoon and the pokemon games) so you have to do a system transfer or lose them.

I assume the original system resided with Nintendo or something? Otherwise even with the serial number how were they going to recover the saves that were on your old system?
Old 08-06-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Also, not all games have cloud saves (like Splatoon and the pokemon games) so you have to do a system transfer or lose them.

I assume the original system resided with Nintendo or something? Otherwise even with the serial number how were they going to recover the saves that were on your old system?
I don't think it was a case of them needing the SN. It certainly sounded like they just required it to give me the save. Nowhere in the communication did they make it seem like the save was gone; they simply wouldn't give it back to me without that SN.
Old 08-06-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think it was a case of them needing the SN. It certainly sounded like they just required it to give me the save. Nowhere in the communication did they make it seem like the save was gone; they simply wouldn't give it back to me without that SN.
But how would they have the save, if you never enabled cloud saves in the first place? If they had your hardware, maybe it just went back into a bin somewhere and they couldn't track it down without the SN (which seems weird because you'd think they'd log the SN). If they didn't have your hardware, I'm not sure how they would get your save back unless they secretly upload all saves or something.
Old 08-06-19, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
But how would they have the save, if you never enabled cloud saves in the first place? If they had your hardware, maybe it just went back into a bin somewhere and they couldn't track it down without the SN (which seems weird because you'd think they'd log the SN). If they didn't have your hardware, I'm not sure how they would get your save back unless they secretly upload all saves or something.
This was long before they had their online pay option. I bought a Switch at launch, sold it after maybe 4-5 months and repurchased one about a year later. They didn't have my old console and at no point during the phone call did they say the save was gone. Maybe it had more to do with allowing my memory card to work on the new console, since I still had it with all the data from the first system?
Old 08-06-19, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This was long before they had their online pay option. I bought a Switch at launch, sold it after maybe 4-5 months and repurchased one about a year later. They didn't have my old console and at no point during the phone call did they say the save was gone. Maybe it had more to do with allowing my memory card to work on the new console, since I still had it with all the data from the first system?
I'm pretty sure the saves by default are put in the "onboard" storage with no way to move them off (at least until they put in the transfer feature a few months or more after launch).

That's interesting. I wonder if they were just blowing smoke or if there really was a way for them to pull the saves from your old console while it was in the possession of someone else. That seems unlikely, though, so my guess is they were just following some script.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.