Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 03-22-19, 08:33 PM
  #2826  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 62,513
Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Just going off what I see locally in used used shops, vendor's malls, facebook, letgo, craigslist, etc. Most are pretty weathered and/or the analogs are destroyed. I can't trust that the analog stick would be any good if I buy online.
Old 03-24-19, 08:27 AM
  #2827  
Moderator
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 19,191
Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Looks like G4F is porting (or remastering) Professor Layton and the Curious Village to the Switch and it will head towards North America later this year.

I have almost every game in the series, but doubt I would upgrade (unless theyíre reasonably priced).
Old 03-24-19, 03:52 PM
  #2828  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,435
Received 550 Likes on 402 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

The Labo sets are getting clearanced out at Target for anyone who has kids. I got a tweet from one of the deal people I follow while we were at breakfast this morning so I mentioned it to my sister and law for my niece and nephew and she stopped on the way home and grabbed all three different sets and they were down to $20 a piece. They were still showing the higher price on the website and brickseek but scanned at $20.
Old 03-25-19, 12:07 AM
  #2829  
Moderator
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 19,191
Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by The Questyen
The Labo sets are getting clearanced out at Target for anyone who has kids. I got a tweet from one of the deal people I follow while we were at breakfast this morning so I mentioned it to my sister and law for my niece and nephew and she stopped on the way home and grabbed all three different sets and they were down to $20 a piece. They were still showing the higher price on the website and brickseek but scanned at $20.
Not sure I even want to drop $20 on these. #sorrynotsorry
Old 03-25-19, 11:06 AM
  #2830  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 7,375
Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

It looks like Nintendo is going to release two versions of the Switch. One will be a cheaper version and the other one will be an enhanced version that targeting avid gamers. I'm not really sure what that means.

https://www.gameinformer.com/report/...-of-the-switch
Old 03-25-19, 11:15 AM
  #2831  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,734
Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Interested to at least see what the new model is (the higher end one). Not sure Iíll buy it right away, but I like my Switch a lot and depending on what theyíre upgrading it might be worth it at some point.
Old 03-25-19, 11:18 AM
  #2832  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,158
Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I'm in on the higher end one (if true) since that's what I've been waiting for. My daughter can have my "old" one. Well, she has already taken it, but she can "officially" own it now.
Old 03-25-19, 11:18 AM
  #2833  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cobra Island
Posts: 17,129
Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Interested to see as well, but probably pass for me. The fans dont kick in on Tetris 99
Old 03-25-19, 12:11 PM
  #2834  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 43,894
Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Maybe they'll let you do this without requiring some hack.

Old 03-25-19, 12:15 PM
  #2835  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,158
Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by slop101
Maybe they'll let you do this without requiring some hack.

[img]https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/sKqdq3B9-iJfePaE6Ae2221k3qE=/0x0:1920x1200/1200x800/filters:focal(807x447:1113x753)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/60138993/Flip_Grip_with_Switch_Front_edit.0.jpg
Heck, if they just fixed the freaking d-pad like the Hori one and made it so dust doesn't get under the sticks, I'd consider that a win (well that plus making sure the joycon clips don't break).
Old 03-25-19, 12:50 PM
  #2836  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 43,894
Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by fujishig
Heck, if they just fixed the freaking d-pad like the Hori one and made it so dust doesn't get under the sticks, I'd consider that a win (well that plus making sure the joycon clips don't break).
No kidding! Though I think that so each half of the joycon can be used on it's own, it still makes for a shit controller when combined as one. Though it's moot, as I HAD to get the pro-controller, and I keep it docked when I play anyhow (my old man eyes can't take starring down at the screen for too long).

Old 03-25-19, 02:33 PM
  #2837  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
lopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,803
Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Give me a bigger, brighter screen and bluetooth and I'm all in for an enhanced version.
Old 03-25-19, 02:37 PM
  #2838  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,734
Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I think the brightness is fine. Maybe make the screen a bit bigger, improve the battery life, ditch the directional buttons for a d-pad, and more built-in memory. Those would be my big wants from an upgraded Switch.
Old 03-25-19, 02:59 PM
  #2839  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 75,669
Received 6,166 Likes on 4,196 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think the brightness is fine. Maybe make the screen a bit bigger, improve the battery life, ditch the directional buttons for a d-pad, and more built-in memory. Those would be my big wants from an upgraded Switch.
Honestly, while those all sound like good ideas, none would make me spend another $300 on another system.
Plus the inability to play a digital game on more than one system makes it far less likely that I would buy a second one. If I could share the digital games with my son, I might have bought a second one.

Nothing in the Switch cries out for improvement enough to make an upgrade necessary the way that the first 3DS with its timy headache inducing screen did.
Old 03-25-19, 03:04 PM
  #2840  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,158
Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by Decker
Honestly, while those all sound like good ideas, none would make me spend another $300 on another system.
Plus the inability to play a digital game on more than one system makes it far less likely that I would buy a second one. If I could share the digital games with my son, I might have bought a second one.

Nothing in the Switch cries out for improvement enough to make an upgrade necessary the way that the first 3DS with its timy headache inducing screen did.
You can share the digital games with your son, though.
Old 03-25-19, 03:15 PM
  #2841  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 75,669
Received 6,166 Likes on 4,196 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by fujishig
You can share the digital games with your son, though.
Really? On two different systems?

Edit : I see you now can as of September's update. Never knew that. Might then upgrade this Summer when my daughter goes to college - maybe.
Old 03-25-19, 03:30 PM
  #2842  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,734
Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

It would be nice (though doubtful) if Nintendo would just offer the option to upgrade the tablet and Joy Cons and let it work with an existing dock to cut a little cost.
Old 03-25-19, 03:36 PM
  #2843  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,158
Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by Mike86
It would be nice (though doubtful) if Nintendo would just offer the option to upgrade the tablet and Joy Cons and let it work with an existing dock to cut a little cost.
I didn't even think about them having to redesign the dock. I already have two, I don't mind buying another one with the system but it would suck if I can't use my other docks for my other tvs.
Old 03-25-19, 11:47 PM
  #2844  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 20,247
Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Final Fantasy VII & Power Rangers: Battle For The Grid release tomorrow!
Old 03-26-19, 11:15 AM
  #2845  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 43,894
Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by fujishig
I didn't even think about them having to redesign the dock. I already have two, I don't mind buying another one with the system but it would suck if I can't use my other docks for my other tvs.
The dock can scratch the screen, so they may implement a change there - though all it would take would be some soft padding on the inside top corners of the dock, which you can do yourself - that, or get a screen protector. But again, just like needing the pro-controller, and a memory card, yet another thing to have to buy for your Switch - I can't recall another console that required so many peripheral purchases.
Old 03-26-19, 11:15 AM
  #2846  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 43,894
Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Final Fantasy VII & Power Rangers: Battle For The Grid release tomorrow!
And Yoshi on Friday!
I'm super excited for that one!

Old 03-26-19, 11:21 AM
  #2847  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,158
Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Final Fantasy VII & Power Rangers: Battle For The Grid release tomorrow!
They closed the preorder bonus for Battle for the Grid a couple of days ago. It's weird, knowing I missed out on it kind of tempts me not to pick it up at launch at all.
Old 03-26-19, 11:28 AM
  #2848  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,734
Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by slop101
The dock can scratch the screen, so they may implement a change there - though all it would take would be some soft padding on the inside top corners of the dock, which you can do yourself - that, or get a screen protector. But again, just like needing the pro-controller, and a memory card, yet another thing to have to buy for your Switch - I can't recall another console that required so many peripheral purchases.
I can see where the tablet getting scratched could be a problem, but I think if youíre careful it wonít happen. I put a screen protector on mine which fits perfectly and is barely even visible just in case though. Its not necessarily a need, but people who take care of their electronics will want one. Plus theyíre pretty cheap. Pretty sure the one I bought was under $10 and itís staying in place fine (I put it on a few months after buying the Switch).

As far as controllers, you donít need a Pro-Controller necessarily. Some people want it or prefer it but itís completely optional. The Joy Cons work well and I used the included grip while playing docked for quite a while before deciding to upgrade. Itís not like they give you no controller out of box though, just not the one you prefer.

As far as memory and getting an SD card goes, I agree the Switch should have more on-board storage. At least with getting an SD card though theyíve gotten cheaper and also theyíre easier to upgrade as opposed to the One or PS4 where the options are pretty much only removing stuff off your HD to clear up space for new games and putting them on to the cloud or an external expansion that takes up more room. At least the card goes easily inside the Switch and you can keep all your stuff saved. I think of it as no different than having memory cards for some consoles back in the day.

Last edited by Mike86; 03-26-19 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-26-19, 11:55 AM
  #2849  
Moderator
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 19,191
Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by slop101
Maybe they'll let you do this without requiring some hack.

[img]https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/sKqdq3B9-iJfePaE6Ae2221k3qE=/0x0:1920x1200/1200x800/filters:focal(807x447:1113x753)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/60138993/Flip_Grip_with_Switch_Front_edit.0.jpg
I backed the FlipGrip on Kickstarter. Itís a solid little accessory... that solves a problem I didnít know I had.
Old 03-26-19, 12:04 PM
  #2850  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,158
Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by slop101
The dock can scratch the screen, so they may implement a change there - though all it would take would be some soft padding on the inside top corners of the dock, which you can do yourself - that, or get a screen protector. But again, just like needing the pro-controller, and a memory card, yet another thing to have to buy for your Switch - I can't recall another console that required so many peripheral purchases.
I'm cool with just a cosmetic change or even an upgrade as long as the old docks (and joycons, and pro controller) are still compatible.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.