DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/637801-nintendo-switch-building-new-generation-hardware-scratch.html)

Matto1020 01-12-17 11:03 PM

re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Man... I was totally looking forward to a NEW Nintendo console. This conference just took the biggest shit in my mouth I could ever expect. Good lord that was AWFUL!!!

Matto1020 01-12-17 11:06 PM

And unfortunately Zelda is the one Nintendo property I couldn't care less about...

Goldberg74 01-12-17 11:06 PM

Looks like Breath of the Wild is a launch title! 3.3.17

... but I'm still gonna wait.

Adam Tyner 01-12-17 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 12987286)
Preorders start January 21st.

Was that just Japan? Gamestop said that they'll have preorders as soon as their doors open in the morning. ...or at least a bunch of Gamestop managers have said that. Maybe it's not official.

fujishig 01-12-17 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 12987286)
Preorders start January 21st.

In Japan only, right? I mean I'm sure GameStop will take preorders with no idea how much stock they're really going to get, but I suppose other retailers would wait for the official US date.

Adam Tyner 01-12-17 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 12987298)
I mean I'm sure GameStop will take preorders with no idea how much stock they're really going to get

We'll find out in the morning, but supposedly allocations are going to be printed out and taped on each store's door.

Breakfast with Girls 01-12-17 11:11 PM

I have a ton of games in my queue as it is, so I wasn't going to pick this up at launch no matter what they announced. Once Dragon Quest 10 comes out, though, I'll bite. Zelda looks fantastic.

edstein 01-12-17 11:11 PM

BotW looks amazing but I'm waiting for Mario.

Adam Tyner 01-12-17 11:12 PM

I'm sitting on a ton of Amazon gift cards, so I'll probably still bite on day one. If I were paying actual money...no way. The only compelling game seemingly for the first few months is coming out on a system I already own, even. :D

pinata242 01-12-17 11:12 PM

Zelda looks great. I don't understand why there's no pack-in game, even that <s>Wii Sports</s>1-2 Switch tech demo for $299.99.

Everyone is going to buy Zelda on March 3rd. Just put it in the damn box, charge $350 or whatever, and celebrate your 100% attach rate.

Breakfast with Girls 01-12-17 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 12987306)
The only compelling game seemingly for the first few months is coming out on a system I already own, even. :D

I'm pretty sure 1-2 Switch is an exclusive, Adam.

Adam Tyner 01-12-17 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 12987307)
Zelda looks great. I don't understand why there's no pack-in game, even that <s>Wii Sports</s>1-2 Switch tech demo for $299.99.

I was genuinely astonished when they showed it wasn't a Wii Sports/Nintendo Land-style pack-in.

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls (Post 12987308)
I'm pretty sure 1-2 Switch is an exclusive, Adam.

:lol:

fujishig 01-12-17 11:14 PM

Unless it's like a dollar a month or something, what exactly are you going to be getting paying for their online service? FIFA and Splatoon matches?

Decker 01-12-17 11:14 PM

I missed this. It's $300 without any software? :lol:

Adam Tyner 01-12-17 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12987311)
I missed this.

More like you dodged a bullet.

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12987311)
It's $300 without any software? :lol:

As far as first party goes, it's a goofy minigame collection called 1-2 Switch and Breath of the Wild. Everything else from Nintendo is summer/holiday 2017 and beyond. If there's more, Nintendo didn't bother to show 'em off. Third party is essentially one gigantic question mark. Too much third party stuff seems like they're very early in development (if not in straight-up pre-production). Bizarrely, the stuff that seems like it'll be here sooner rather than later was relegated to a lightning round at the very end.

No Mario Kart (beyond the recap of the initial teaser from a couple months back). No Smash. Nothing from Retro.

pinata242 01-12-17 11:16 PM

No software, but it does include not one, but two!, state of the art wrist straps!

fujishig 01-12-17 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 12987314)
No software, but it does include not one, but two!, state of the art wrist straps!

Don't forget the HDMI cable. I guess we should count ourselves lucky they included a power cable and didn't make us reuse the WiiU one, though.

Forgot to say, 70 bucks for a pro controller too.

Breakfast with Girls 01-12-17 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 12987310)
Unless it's like a dollar a month or something, what exactly are you going to be getting paying for their online service? FIFA and Splatoon matches?

Mario Kart, Dragon Quest 10 (it's an MMO).

Decker 01-12-17 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 12987313)
More like you dodged a bullet.

As far as first party goes, it's a goofy minigame collection called 1-2 Switch and Breath of the Wild. If there's more, Nintendo didn't bother to show 'em off. Third party is essentially one gigantic question mark.

But they're not bundled with the system right?

I like Zelda, but not enough to spend that much at launch.

I just assumed it would be $250 with some tech demo thing included

The Questyen 01-12-17 11:19 PM

Obviously there will be more than two games at launch.

pinata242 01-12-17 11:20 PM

But will they be worth playing?

Adam Tyner 01-12-17 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 12987320)
Obviously there will be more than two games at launch.

In total? Of course. First-party? Exclusives? If there were, this would've been the forum to showcase them, right? Nintendo's press release lists a couple of other games not mentioned in the presentation, but the only other one that looks like it'll be there at launch isn't a retail release...just on the eShop. I don't see anything along those lines on Nintendo's Switch site either.

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12987319)
But they're not bundled with the system right?

The packaging doesn't show any sort of pack-in. They only showed off one SKU, so the rumors of a deluxe version with more storage and an additional game seem to be B.S.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/image...84285189_1.jpg

fujishig 01-12-17 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls (Post 12987318)
Mario Kart, Dragon Quest 10 (it's an MMO).

Didn't DQ 10 come out years ago, and has a subscription fee to boot? I didn't see anything about a US release either.

Adam Tyner 01-12-17 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 12987326)
Didn't DQ 10 come out years ago, and has a subscription fee to boot? I didn't see anything about a US release either.

They said in the presentation that DQ 10 and 11 are both coming to the Switch.

Oh, and fuck this:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/image...84285047_1.png

$70!!?!?!? That's not a placeholder from some random retailer -- that's straight from the horse's mouth. If you want an extra charging dock, it's $90.

pinata242 01-12-17 11:23 PM

Battery life will be an issue. How long before there's an external battery pack and a new dock to accommodate the wider body?

Adam Tyner 01-12-17 11:28 PM

In marginally less shitty news, if you subscribe to Nintendo's online service:

Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.
So it doesn't sound like you can build a library the way you can with PS+ or Games with Gold.

According to Nintendo's Japanese site, Mario Kart Deluxe 8 will launch in April. Among the new characters are the Inklings from Splatoon!

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: With Nintendo Switch, fans can enjoy the definitive version of Mario Kart 8 anywhere, anytime, even with up to eight friends in local wireless multiplayer. All your favorite tracks and characters return from the Wii U version, plus all DLC tracks and characters, and new characters join the roster, too: Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy from Splatoon, as well as King Boo, Dry Bones and Bowser Jr.! Plus, Battle mode has been revamped and includes Balloon Battle and Bob-omb Blast, with new courses such as Urchin Underpass and Battle Stadium, and returning ones like GCN Luigi’s Mansion and SNES Battle Course 1. Players can now carry two items at a time, including new items returning from previous Mario Kart games such as Boo (the item-stealing ghost) and the Feather, which gives players a high jump in Battle mode. Players can even choose to use a new Smart Steering feature, which makes driving and staying on the track easy for novice players and kids, even at 200cc. Play in TV mode in up to 1080p. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe launches in April.

lopper 01-12-17 11:30 PM

Based on what they showed tonight, I'll have to offer a polite, yet firm, "No fucking way, Nintendo."

fujishig 01-12-17 11:30 PM

Wow a free NES or SNES rental? Of their choosing? Sign me up.

Or is that a game to keep?

pinata242 01-12-17 11:32 PM

Online VC play is long overdue. But it's not like any emulators had that feature in 1997 or anything...

fujishig 01-12-17 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 12987335)
Online VC play is long overdue. But it's not like any emulators had that feature in 1997 or anything...

All that means, to me, is that prior VC purchases are STILL not going to transfer over because of the added features. I'd love to be proven wrong.

They will probably severely delay the WiiU version of Zelda too.

Adam Tyner 01-12-17 11:36 PM

Japanese launch lineup (includes third party titles):

- Zelda Breath of the Wild
- 1 2 Switch
- Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2
- Nobunaga no Yabou Power Kit thingy
- I am Setsuna
- Puyo Puyo Tetris S
- Disgaea 5
- Super Bomberman R

Adam Tyner 01-12-17 11:39 PM

The Breath of the Wild Master Edition. The most interesting thing to me is the hint at what retail packaging for Switch games will look like:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2BwO2wUUAcIcwg.jpg:large

DVDTalker76 01-12-17 11:39 PM

This company is even further off their rocker than the sane among us have thought for the last several years.

I was progressively more underwhelmed while catching up with each piece of news, but, really.. I have to echo you, Mr. Tyner: SEVENTY BUCKS FOR A FUCKING (OPTIONAL) CONTROLLER???

Where the hell was any evidence that there will be a truly solid library of games..?

I am now unabashedly hoping for this to fail, quickly and hard. The world needs Nintendo's fantastic legacy series. It most certainly does NOT need their bumbling, unnecessary proprietary platforms.

Gaming was not broken back when they tried to create "revolution" with the Wii in 2006, and it is not broken now.

fumanstan 01-12-17 11:41 PM

Wait, so you only get to play the NES/SNES freebie for that month? :lol:

$299 is too expensive for a "why the hell not" purchase for me, especially with what seems to be little out at launch. And yeah, $70 for the controller seems weird, higher MSRP then the Xbox One and PS4.

Adam Tyner 01-12-17 11:43 PM

Walmart's pre-order is up now. Best Buy is taking pre-orders now too.

Box art:

http://media.nintendo.com/nintendo/b...9Jmouu5aS9.png http://media.nintendo.com/nintendo/b...mMpgQqJOUw.png http://media.nintendo.com/nintendo/b...iGwJSeaUUT.png http://media.nintendo.com/nintendo/b...x2UaV_m6On.png

windom 01-12-17 11:59 PM

Are they carrying over the Mii concept to the Switch? I assume not, but I haven't heard anything yet.

It's $90 for an additional dock. What does the dock actually do other than provide a HDMI connection and charging? Does it even have an ethernet port or does the Switch just always use wi-fi from the main unit even when docked?

Adam Tyner 01-13-17 12:13 AM

Maybe some of the TBDs on Nintendo's list of Switch games will wind up being launch games, but the only confirmed launch titles in North America are:

1, 2, Switch
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Bomberman R
Snipperclips - Cut It Out, Together!
Just Dance 2017
Has Been Heroes
Skylanders Imaginators
Just Dance 2017
I Am Setsuna
Oh, man, please watch the milking video at http://1-2-switch.nintendo.com/ This is a $50 game, just as a reminder.

Jeremy517 01-13-17 12:21 AM

The included controller still looks incredibly uncomfortable to me, with the buttons not being offset from the analog sticks. Switching between buttons and the stick looks really awkward. So really, it is essentially $370 for me, with no games. I couldn't care less about the tablet feature. Oh, and pay more for online.

I love Nintendo, but I can't do it.

Jeremy517 01-13-17 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12987343)
And yeah, $70 for the controller seems weird, higher MSRP then the Xbox One and PS4.

But it comes with motion controls and Amiibo support! And HD rumble? Nice one, marketing department, that makes a lot of sense.

:yack:

Coral 01-13-17 12:34 AM

$399 CAD for this thing? Really? :lol:

After looking at this thing, the odds were pretty slim that the Switch was going to do well IMO... and now after seeing the price - I'm positive it'll be a failure.