DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/637801-nintendo-switch-building-new-generation-hardware-scratch.html)

Mike86 11-16-18 01:14 PM

Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13445262)
I'd imagine it's the same difference between the old games like red/blue, silver/gold...etc.

I’ve actually never played a traditional Pokémon game (just Go). A friend gave me a bit of a rundown on the differences between the releases though.

asianxcore 11-16-18 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13445260)
What’s the difference between the Pikachu and Eevee versions?

Outside of the Pokemon you start with, the differences are mostly a good handful of Version Exclusive Pokemon.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/11/15/1...ee-what-to-buy

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 13445208)
I haven't really been following along, is the game pretty much a $60 version of their free to play phone game?

Everything you catch in Pokemon GO can be transferred to Pokemon: Let's Go as well. Certain Pokemon like the newly discovered Melmetal (and Meltan) are only available through Pokemon GO. You can't catch either of them in Pokemon: Let's Go.

There's a lot of Cross-Platform stuff that is really cool.

asianxcore 11-18-18 09:36 AM

I'm about 17.5 hours into Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu and I've acquired all 8 Gym Badges.

Before I make my way to the Elite Four, I'll probably search for new Pokemon as well as Level Grind for a bit.

EDIT: Didn't have to Level Grind as much as I thought to beat the Elite Four. Finished the game in 21 hours & 43 minutes with 98 Pokemon caught.

I'll definitely have to Level Grind a bit to catch a few Pokemon I missed during my first Playthrough.

GatorDeb 11-19-18 11:26 PM

Anybody in Vegas with Pokemon Let's Go? lol

Decker 11-19-18 11:32 PM

My son, but not until Christmas. :D

GatorDeb 11-20-18 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13447046)
My son, but not until Christmas. :D

I can wait lol

(But better if someone else has it now!)

So I play Pokemon Go. Like a lot. There's Meltan and Metmeltan. You can do a 9 page quest (that I'm gonna do anyway because I like challenges) and at the end you can get a Meltan with at most 7 candy and you need 400 for Metmeltan. If you connect to the switch game, you can turn on 30 minutes of Meltan spawns in Pokemon Go which gets you about 10 Meltan/70 candy, so you need about 6 connects for Metmeltan.

I just can't in good conscience spend $350 for a Metmeltan ... and I have no time as it is for a new system. Pokemon Go takes all my gaming time available.

GatorDeb 11-20-18 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 12926906)
You can't transition from a console game to a handheld seamlessly. I predict this is going to be like the Wii. Gonna be called a gimmick and then sell through the roof.

BTW...

called it lol :D From when first announced.

fumanstan 11-20-18 10:37 AM

Except it turns out you can transition from a console game to a handheld seamlessly, apparently :)

GatorDeb 11-20-18 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13447246)
Except it turns out you can transition from a console game to a handheld seamlessly, apparently :)

Someone said this is just a tablet or a cell phone. I said it isn't because with those you can't transition seamlessly from a console to a tablet.

fumanstan 11-20-18 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 13447282)
Someone said this is just a tablet or a cell phone. I said it isn't because with those you can't transition seamlessly from a console to a tablet.

Ah, without the context your quote made it sound like you were just making a statement. Cool beans.

Turns out, the gimmick sure is working though. Unlike the Wii where people lost interest in motion controls, I see so many people of all ages bringing their switches with them on the go.

beavis69 11-20-18 11:42 AM

In my opinion this is the future of gaming and if Sony and MS aren't planning on their next consoles being this way they are making a mistake.

fumanstan 11-20-18 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by beavis69 (Post 13447294)
In my opinion this is the future of gaming and if Sony and MS aren't planning on their next consoles being this way they are making a mistake.

Eh, I don't think so. I'd be disappointed if we were limited to the power and battery constraints of a portable device.

Mike86 11-20-18 11:50 AM

Yeah, I love the Switch personally but can’t see the most hardcore gamers ever accepting it as their main console. Mainly because it’s not powerful enough for all the big games and things like battery life. It still has its place though I think and is a pretty big step up from a traditional handheld like a 3DS.

Mike86 11-20-18 12:26 PM

I think that’s a bit of an insult to the Switch. It’s just fulfilling a different market but still has its place. I also think Nintendo realizes this and don’t try to directly compete. I agree that it’s in a different league than Xbox, PlayStation, or PC though.

Edit: the post I was replying to was apparently deleted.

Maxflier 11-20-18 01:13 PM

I'm with you guys, I LOVE the Switch and at this point it may just be my favorite system, but I would not want Sony to go this route.

Mike86 11-20-18 01:17 PM

Sony hasn’t even made a great stand alone portable despite a couple attempts. The Vita isn’t bad but support died off pretty quickly and doesn’t get a lot of major releases. I don’t see Microsoft making an attempt anytime soon.

fujishig 11-21-18 11:10 AM

Yeah, the Vita was pretty much the precursor to the switch; to me the main difference is that Sony had the home console to fall back on, while Nintendo pretty much went all in on the Switch and had to make it work (the other main difference is that Nintendo IPs are really strong and not because of graphics).

There's no way Sony can completely switch over unless there's some revolutionary technology that can make the portable as powerful as the next Xbox will be, because otherwise Microsoft will gain a lot of ground. It actually behooves them to just match Microsoft, as boring as that is, and let Nintendo have their space, kind of like an extension of the dominance of the 3ds.

Adam Tyner 11-21-18 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13447361)
I don’t see Microsoft making an attempt anytime soon.

Microsoft's play sounds like it'll just be streaming to phones/tablets.

fujishig 11-21-18 01:05 PM

For the Black Friday eshop sale, they finally have Skyrim on sale. Which is weird, since I don't remember it having any kind of sale before and they just slashed it 50%.

Decker 11-21-18 01:17 PM

Link to the deals : https://happyholidays.nintendo.com/cyber-deals/

Goldberg74 11-24-18 11:57 AM

I finally bit the bullet and pre-purchased the NES Classic Switch controllers... I know I don't "need" them... but hey, nostalgia took over. ;)

GatorDeb 11-25-18 11:21 PM

Got someone I met from the PoGo community to hook me up weekly with her Switch :banana:

kefrank 11-28-18 11:08 AM

Picked up a Switch on a Black Friday deal. Any recommendations on good puzzles games or platformers?

Decker 11-28-18 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 13451834)
Picked up a Switch on a Black Friday deal. Any recommendations on good puzzles games or platformers?

Wow, your timing stinks. Everything just came off sale price in the eshop 1 hour ago.

Of course you should pick up Super Mario Odyssey. It's fabulous.

I hear Celeste is fantastic but super-hard platromer. Just came off sale
Shovel Knight is another fantastic platformer that just came off sale. I hear the unrelated Hollow Knight is also really fun.
Ditto Sonic Mania (Plus).

Adam Tyner 11-28-18 12:43 PM

I'll always recommend Snipperclips as a great puzzle game, at least if you have someone else to play with. It's one of my favorite co-op games this gen.