Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Will you be buying this?
Yep!
67.92%
Nope!
32.08%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jay G.
Print Wikipost

NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Old 01-09-19, 11:39 AM
  #1176  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,654
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Yeah, I didn't think I was going too deep in the vault for that one.
Just for context, that reference is over 20 years old:
Lisa Gets an "A" | Simpsons Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
Jay G. is offline  
Old 01-09-19, 01:11 PM
  #1177  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,893
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Just for context, that reference is over 20 years old:
Lisa Gets an "A" | Simpsons Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
“I bent my Wookie”
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 01-09-19, 01:19 PM
  #1178  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,500
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

I think Nintendo really went after the major ROM sites as well.
fujishig is offline  
Old 01-09-19, 01:22 PM
  #1179  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,654
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I think Nintendo really went after the major ROM sites as well.
This summer. Technically, I think they only sued the owner of two major ROM sites, but that sent all the others running scared.

Nintendo settled for $12.2 million and ownership of the domains.
https://www.polygon.com/2018/11/15/1...ro-emuparadise
Jay G. is offline  
Old 03-20-19, 12:45 PM
  #1180  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,779
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Any old-school SNES fans have a recommendation what I should play next? I finished Super Metroid. I tried playing Zelda last night and couldn't get into it. I finished the first Zelda on NES, and got to the final boss on the much maligned Zelda 2, and liked both, so I'll probably stick with the SNES Zelda until it grows on me.
Paff is online now  
Old 03-20-19, 01:01 PM
  #1181  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,654
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Any old-school SNES fans have a recommendation what I should play next? I finished Super Metroid. I tried playing Zelda last night and couldn't get into it. I finished the first Zelda on NES, and got to the final boss on the much maligned Zelda 2, and liked both, so I'll probably stick with the SNES Zelda until it grows on me.
Shouldn't you be asking in the SNES Classic thread?
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game...-17-%2480.html

Anyway, for SNES Zelda: A Link to the Past , have you gotten out of the castle yet? I feel the game picks up once you're out and about and can explore.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 03-20-19, 01:05 PM
  #1182  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,779
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

We have an SNES Classic thread? My bad.
Paff is online now  
Old 03-20-19, 03:18 PM
  #1183  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 331
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Definitely stick with Zelda. It's incredible. No reason it won't eventually grab you based on your experience with the series.
wtsang is offline  
Old 03-21-19, 05:16 AM
  #1184  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 6,081
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Any old-school SNES fans have a recommendation what I should play next? I finished Super Metroid. I tried playing Zelda last night and couldn't get into it. I finished the first Zelda on NES, and got to the final boss on the much maligned Zelda 2, and liked both, so I'll probably stick with the SNES Zelda until it grows on me.
Wow. I can't believe you have to let Zelda A Link to the Past grow on you. Especially if you played through Zelda 2. I think that's probably the most difficult to revisit as it's radically different from other Zelda games and incredibly difficult. Zelda LttP is one of the greatest games ever. I like it a lot better than the usually more heralded Ocarina of Time.
tanman is offline  
Old 03-21-19, 10:14 AM
  #1185  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,779
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

I moved my talk about Link to the Past over to the proper thread.

But since I'm here, it was about 2-3 years ago I revisited Zelda 2, for the first time since the 80s. I enjoyed most of the game, I always liked the part that seemed like a glitch ("I am error"). But I got to that final battle, and after beating the boss, then the nega-Link appears and kills me every time. It's especially annoying since the last save point is about 5 minutes of game time before the boss, so after one or two attempts I lose my interest.

And while we're talking Zelda and the original NES, one game I "discovered" a few years ago was Star Tropics. That was an amazing game, and very similar in play (yet still different) to the first Zelda. I don't think it gets as much respect as it deserves. It's on the NES Classic, and if you have that system but never played it, I highly recommend it.
Paff is online now  
Old 03-21-19, 10:58 AM
  #1186  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 8,865
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I moved my talk about Link to the Past over to the proper thread.

But since I'm here, it was about 2-3 years ago I revisited Zelda 2, for the first time since the 80s. I enjoyed most of the game, I always liked the part that seemed like a glitch ("I am error"). But I got to that final battle, and after beating the boss, then the nega-Link appears and kills me every time. It's especially annoying since the last save point is about 5 minutes of game time before the boss, so after one or two attempts I lose my interest.
There was a trick to that, I seem to remember, something like kneeling in the corner, and just continually stabbing him, and he couldn't hit you.
And while we're talking Zelda and the original NES, one game I "discovered" a few years ago was Star Tropics. That was an amazing game, and very similar in play (yet still different) to the first Zelda. I don't think it gets as much respect as it deserves. It's on the NES Classic, and if you have that system but never played it, I highly recommend it.
Funny, I just read an article about that game yesterday ... apparently there's a numeric code you need to input somewhere in the game, if you don't have the code, you're stuck. The code was actually printed on the manual, in some weird way that it's only visible when you pour water on it. So anyone unaware of that playing the game on the NES Classic, would be SOL. (until you looked up the code on the internet).
joeblow69 is offline  
Old 03-21-19, 10:58 AM
  #1187  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,654
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
It's especially annoying since the last save point is about 5 minutes of game time before the boss, so after one or two attempts I lose my interest...
Couldn't you use suspend points? Hit the reset button on the console right before the boss, then save that suspend point. Then if you die, reset again, but don't save the new suspend point, and instead load your previous one. Bam, back right before the boss.

If you're happy with your status after defeating the boss, you could reset/save suspend there before you start fighting Dark Link, and just reload if you die.

More info here:
https://en-americas-support.nintendo...sic-edition%5D
Jay G. is offline  
Old 03-21-19, 11:15 AM
  #1188  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,779
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Funny, I just read an article about that game yesterday ... apparently there's a numeric code you need to input somewhere in the game, if you don't have the code, you're stuck. The code was actually printed on the manual, in some weird way that it's only visible when you pour water on it. So anyone unaware of that playing the game on the NES Classic, would be SOL. (until you looked up the code on the internet).
That's what I had to do. I don't know how the NES-C addresses that particular quirk; I actually played it in cartridge form on my old NES (did not have the manual since I bought the game on E-bay), but since I own the Classic I might re-visit the game, it was that much fun.

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Couldn't you use suspend points? Hit the reset button on the console right before the boss, then save that suspend point. Then if you die, reset again, but don't save the new suspend point, and instead load your previous one. Bam, back right before the boss.

If you're happy with your status after defeating the boss, you could reset/save suspend there before you start fighting Dark Link, and just reload if you die.

More info here:
https://en-americas-support.nintendo...sic-edition%5D
Like Star Tropics, I played Zelda 2 in cartridge form, that did not have that option. Interesting note, the cartridge I got was from someone on another forum, he said he hadn't played it since the 80s. All his save points were still in there, and I think that requires a battery. Pretty amazing that it held the info for 20+ years.

Paff is online now  
Old 03-21-19, 11:54 AM
  #1189  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,654
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
That's what I had to do. I don't know how the NES-C addresses that particular quirk..
Apparently they added a pic of the secret text to the online copy of the manual you can download from their site
https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogaming...tion_when_you/
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/en/

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Like Star Tropics, I played Zelda 2 in cartridge form, that did not have that option.
Not interested in revisiting it?

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
T]Interesting note, the cartridge I got was from someone on another forum, he said he hadn't played it since the 80s. All his save points were still in there, and I think that requires a battery. Pretty amazing that it held the info for 20+ years.
The battery in it is fairly big for a button cell (CR2032), and the RAM requires very little power to maintain the info. I found this person who calculated that theoretically, in a best case scenerio, such a battery could last for, potentially, 70 years:
Battery life of old game cartridges - Classic Gaming General - AtariAge Forums

In the real world, it's likely to be less, but you can always replace the battery in the cartridge
NES Battery Change
Jay G. is offline  
Old 03-21-19, 12:00 PM
  #1190  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 8,865
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Not interested in revisiting it?
I played Zelda 2 when it first came out, and while I did really love that damn game, there's just no way I'd replay it now. There are 2 points that drove me nuts that are burned into my brain that keep me from playing it. The first was getting that stupid hammer near the beginning of the game. The second, was the trip to the final dungeon, there's a fence you walk by, and people from behind the fence are constantly throwing stuff at you. I died so many times at this stupid fence!
joeblow69 is offline  
Old 03-21-19, 12:09 PM
  #1191  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,779
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Not interested in revisiting it?
It's not high on my list, no. While some elements of Zelda 2 are fun, several are just tedious (the caves come to mind) and you are happy to complete them so you don't have to do it again. For comparison, I'm going through Super Metroid on the SNES for a second time, and actually having more fun than the first time due to having better skill now. Some of the parts that annoyed and frustrated me the first time through (wall jumps, perfect example) are much easier now. But the annoying parts of Zelda 2 are time consuming no matter how good you are at the game, thus I'm in no hurry to revisit, not with so many NES and SNES games I've never played before right at my fingertips.
Paff is online now  
Old 03-21-19, 12:10 PM
  #1192  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,779
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I played Zelda 2 when it first came out, and while I did really love that damn game, there's just no way I'd replay it now. There are 2 points that drove me nuts that are burned into my brain that keep me from playing it. The first was getting that stupid hammer near the beginning of the game. The second, was the trip to the final dungeon, there's a fence you walk by, and people from behind the fence are constantly throwing stuff at you. I died so many times at this stupid fence!
I never died from it, but it knocked off enough life to make the final battle that much more challenging, and you can't farm for hearts in that dungeon.
Paff is online now  
Old 03-22-19, 01:31 AM
  #1193  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 6,081
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

For those interested in Star Tropics

tanman is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 02:18 AM
  #1194  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 55,779
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

It's funny how this thread was bumped. I got caught up in the hype to get this a few years ago and struggled to find it until I managed to snag it in an Amazon flash sale.

However, to be perfectly honest, I rarely, I mean rarely play it. I don't think I've touched it for 6+ months. Same with the SNES Mini. I've played my XBox One and PS4. Man, I really should try to fire it up again. Feel kind of bad that I haven't used it much and it was such a struggle to find it.
DJariya is online now  
Old 03-22-19, 10:06 AM
  #1195  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,779
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

^ I was the opposite. I got an XBox One, and have barely touched it. About the only thing I've enjoyed on it is Cuphead, and I also use it to access Shudder.

A few years ago though, a friend had a Nintendo-themed birthday party (this friend is in her 30s, just putting that out there), and while everyone was playing Super Smash Bros or whatever, I dusted off my old NES and we hooked it up to an old CRT. I'd forgotten how much fun the games were, and after the party rather than toss the NES back into the garage, I bought a little flat-screen SD monitor for it and resumed my 8-bit gaming. That's where I revisited Metroid, Zelda I and II, Castlevania, and Star Tropics. The only reason I haven't played my NES Classic so much is that I already own/played most of the games. There's still some on there I haven't though, so I'll be hitting those up in time. I didn't have Punch-Out on my NES, so that's at least one game I play on the Classic.

I never owned or played an SNES though, so that thing is totally new for me and I love it. Link to the Past is warming on me, BTW. I think I need to have a marathon session of an hour or two with it, right now I only play it for about 5-10 minutes at a time, and I've already forgotten what the NPCs said to me at the beginning. But we can talk about that in the SNES thread.
Paff is online now  
Old 03-22-19, 10:52 AM
  #1196  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,869
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

I've played my SNES games that I have on my Wii (transferred to the U) more than I have the SNES mini.

I really want to hack/download new games to it, but I keep forgetting about it.
slop101 is offline  
Old 03-26-19, 10:09 AM
  #1197  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,779
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
For those interested in Star Tropics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnw0SiVO9lQ
Thanks for posting that. I played Star Tropics for the first time just a few years ago and really liked it. I wondered why it wasn't more well-known, but I guess it just came out too late in the NES's popularity cycle. It's also good to see that the sequel is a good game as well, and I'll either be looking for the cartridge or adding it to my NES Classic once I decide I want to actually start doing that.
Paff is online now  
Old 03-26-19, 10:15 AM
  #1198  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,981
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Star Tropics was all the rage when I was growing up

I've been using my Switch a lot lately, primarily in hand held mode and mostly Tetris 99 and Super Mario U. Alas, that's about 20x more than I've used my other consoles in the last year.

RichC2 is online now  
Old 03-26-19, 01:03 PM
  #1199  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,779
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Star Tropics was all the rage when I was growing up
Interesting. Although, it certainly never became a series within the Nintendo universe, as described in the video posted where the author tried to have Mike Jones added as a Smash Bros character. But it may have well been their own fault, waiting four years to introduce a second game in the series, and by 1994 the NES was DEFINITELY an outmoded console. Too bad, as it could have easily gained the love of Zelda fans since it played far more like the original Zelda than the actual sequel (Adventures of Link) did.
Paff is online now  
Old 03-26-19, 02:39 PM
  #1200  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,500
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Didn't Star Tropics just release on the Switch a couple of weeks ago, in the "free" app that you get when you do their online service? (RichC2 mentioned Tetris 99 so I assume he has that)
fujishig is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.