Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Pokemon GO (IOS/Android)

Old 10-02-16, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Pokemon GO (IOS/Android)

Pokemon Go is somewhere between actual distance and as the crow flies. I often do a loop that for every 1km it tracks about .4km if I'm lucky. My loop in the city is extremely stop efficient but not pokemon go efficient for eggs and candy. Hell, even if you walk in a completely straight line I've found it to be 10-20% off compared to google maps and my fitness tracker. A bit of hyperbole, a bit of truth.

I am at 142/142, the most you can get without flying to another continent. I guess I should have stated that I completed the North American dex.
Old 10-04-16, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flair View Post
I failed miserably at my goal of hitting 30 over a weekend period, but I have made amazing progress in the last two weeks. Completed my dex. Grinded up to 33 from 27. All of this was from forming a clan to take gyms.

If you're losing interest I'd highly suggest reaching out to users in your area via facebook or reddit. It has definitely upped the games value for me. We have a crew of 30 or so that do nightly gym runs and send group texts when we find some of the rarer pokemon. Pretty neat. I have quite a few pokemons in gyms so I have no choice but to actively hunt every day for star dust and to evolve 2000+ CP mons in order to be able to attack/defend more and more gyms. It really helps that blue (we are red) are also pretty active and do runs as well. I think we both leave the one yellow ten top in town alone

Digging the walking aspect as well, 750km down (which is around 750 miles according to my fitness tracker). I don't mind dropping $20 a week on incubators when I'm getting 20 hours+ of enjoyment out of the game. $1 an hour is cheap af.
I find I get about a dollar a mile.
Old 10-13-16, 06:30 PM
Banned

The last update must have made it easier as I have caught 6 new ones in the past week or some. Some I'd never even seen and they were already evolved
Old 10-14-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sgtsnake View Post
The last update must have made it easier as I have caught 6 new ones in the past week or some. Some I'd never even seen and they were already evolved
I was told by someone, FWIW, that a recent update has increased your likelihood of finding rare Pokémon, but the common Pokemons (pidgies, caterpies, etc.) are now harder to catch.
Old 10-15-16, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just noticed some new "circles" in the center (top) of my screen when I go to catch a new Pokémon. They disappear pretty quick.

I, too, have finally seen and caught some new (to me) Pokémon in the last week or so. I thought maybe it was because I haven't played much and they we're trying to entice me back in.
Old 10-15-16, 08:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I just noticed some new "circles" in the center (top) of my screen when I go to catch a new Pokémon. They disappear pretty quick.

I, too, have finally seen and caught some new (to me) Pokémon in the last week or so. I thought maybe it was because I haven't played much and they we're trying to entice me back in.
I believe the circles how what type of Pokémon they are...water, grass etc
Old 10-15-16, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's what it appears to be. They disappear pretty quick and I don't know enough about Pokemon to have picked up on that.
Old 10-15-16, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You get bonuses for catching the same types of Pokemon. That's what you are seeing, if I am not mistaken.
Old 10-16-16, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's your medal bonus which now has a catch rate bonus attached. If you have bronze, +1. Silver +2, Gold +3. What this means...who knows. Click your trainer on the lower left and check to see the progress on your medals, they now mean something.
Old 10-25-16, 04:21 PM

A Halloween Event. It's not clear yet exactly when it starts or ends.

From Niantic:
It’s Halloween season and we have a treat for you! From October 26th to November 1st,
you’ll earn double the amount of Candy every time you catch, hatch and transfer Pokémon!
Don’t forget your Buddy Pokémon, because they will help you earn Candy four times as fast.
If you encounter more spooky Pokémon than normal, don’t be startled, they want to enjoy the fun too!
Scare up some friends, grab your buddy and enjoy this spooky, fun celebration with us! Happy Halloween!
Old 10-25-16, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by DeFan View Post
A Halloween Event. It's not clear yet exactly when it starts or ends.
Originally Posted by DeFan View Post
It’s Halloween season and we have a treat for you! From October 26th to November 1st
Old 10-25-16, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Its already started,getting double candies and stuff spawning like crazy tonight.
Old 10-25-16, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
Its already started,getting double candies and stuff spawning like crazy tonight.
Gastly and Haunter were spawning every 60 seconds down my street. Caught at least 15 before I had to call it quits....
Old 10-25-16, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I caught a dozen cubone's and meowths along with a bunch of Onyx. I have pikachu as a buddy earning a candy every 0.25km, so I'll have a Raichu shortly. A lot of fun playing tonight. Looking forward to buddying several of my pokemon this week.
Old 10-25-16, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

17 candies down, 83 to go for my 95.6 IV Dragonite..... I should be able to knock down 60-70 of them.

TONS of Ghastly. Got two new ones, the third ghastly (caught him although I have enough to evolve a second level ghastly) and the third onion one (Vileplum I believe) but the attacks suck big time even though it had good IV.

I buy eggs for fitness so I'm getting tons of candies for egg.

I wish I hadn't cashed out like 100 Pokémon that I was farming last Friday Would have been like an extra 100 candy. I plan to trade in ALL my farmed pokemon (pidgeys, rattatas, etc.) for the double candy and then catch the ones to evolve later.

Now if I could just hatch another Dratini and a couple Snorlaxes

Now a Magicarp is 400 candies at 1k each or 400k or 248 miles or / 4 = 62 miles. A Dragonite is 100 candies at 5k each or 500k or 310 miles / 4 = 77.5 miles.... I think Dragonite is best choice for this, if you're gonna divide something by four take the one that takes most distance.

I hate math if you can't tell.
Old 10-26-16, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm walking snorlaxes. You can easily catch 3-4+ dratini here a day if you check the spawn points, but more than 1 snorlax in a day is very rare. Should be able to end up with 8-10 laxes up over 2500cp with this amount of candy. Also hoping to get 2 more dragonites with catches.

The only bummer is the 12 candy evolves turning into gastly+, cubone, mewoth. Completed all of those very early on in the game and was hoping to get 2 million+ xp over the event with the 12 candy evolves.
Old 10-26-16, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flair View Post
I'm walking snorlaxes. You can easily catch 3-4+ dratini here a day if you check the spawn points, but more than 1 snorlax in a day is very rare. Should be able to end up with 8-10 laxes up over 2500cp with this amount of candy. Also hoping to get 2 more dragonites with catches.

The only bummer is the 12 candy evolves turning into gastly+, cubone, mewoth. Completed all of those very early on in the game and was hoping to get 2 million+ xp over the event with the 12 candy evolves.
I have caught TWO Snorlaxes since I started playing 6/13 and have yet to see Dratini in the wild. I buy eggs for fitness purposes so I hatch A LOT (408 eggs hatched to far, tons of 10k) and ONE Dratini hatch.

Extremely rare in Vegas. Just got my first Lickitung (hatched, sucky attacks).
Old 10-26-16, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It started for us last night. Just sitting in our condo, we were getting tons of Ghastly, Haunter and Meowths.

We've also noticed a general increase in spawning around our condo in the past week or so, just low level junk, but apparently the more you catch the more the game puts in the area?
Old 10-26-16, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Getting a lot of Cubones also.
Old 10-26-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess Cubone makes sense since he's basically wearing a little skeleton costume.
Old 10-26-16, 11:02 PM
Banned

This new update for Halloween is insane. I've never seen a drowsy or a gasey but I caught enough today to fully evolve Drowsy to hypno and Gasly>haunter>Gengar and a few away from evolving my koffin
Old 10-26-16, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't seen any Koffin I have 25 out of 50. I have gotten like 8 new Pokémon since yesterday night I'm at 129 out of 149 Pokémon.

Just hatched a moving plant and evolved my 91% IV Weeping Bell and the third evolution has killer 15/120 attacks and over 100 hp already. FINALLY after like 10 evolves of sucky attacks.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-27-16 at 03:24 AM.
Old 10-26-16, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
my buddy got the pokemon go watch thing. he says he hatches eggs too quickly now and runs out of them. the major plus of the watch thing is that you dont need to have your phone on all the time
Where did he get it? I haven't been able to snag one
Old 10-27-16, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At 119/125 so far, loving all the ghost's, was able to get Gengar finally. Finally found out about the Sliph Road site which is great for locating nests. Gonna hit up one later to stock up on Machop's.
Old 10-27-16, 08:38 AM
Banned

i only have 110 pokemon so I still have a long way to go to finish

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.