Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Resident Evil 7

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Resident Evil 7

Honestly, and I don't know if my feelings are shared here, but I don't feel like it was a new IP with a name slapped on at all. I truly feel as if this game is literally a first person version of RE1 with some elements of stealth added to it. Im only three hours in, but so far with the types of doors and the puzzles its highly reminiscent of my days in the Arklay Mountains. Minus your typical zombies and BOW variants of course.
Old 01-30-17, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

For those that completed the game....I'm

Spoiler:
at the door that needs the code and entered the correct one and I have to drop all my stuff. Instead of proceeding I ran back to the trailer and saved. The reason is because I have no first aid kits left. Should I run around the Main house to try and stock up? I know RE games and I don't want to get to a point I can't finish the game because I can't heal. I don't get upset with spoilers so any input is appreciated.
Old 01-30-17, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Unfortunately I'm unable to play this game as it the camera gives me motion sickness (even with the camera wobble turned off). I've tried multiple times and within a few minutes I'm feeling disoriented like I need to puke. Similarly to how I feel when I ride in the back seat of a car and don't look out the window.

Hoping future installments are more like Resident Evil Revelations 2 and less like this; because I'm a huge huge fan of RE, but I can't play this.
Old 01-30-17, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
For those that completed the game....I'm

Spoiler:
at the door that needs the code and entered the correct one and I have to drop all my stuff. Instead of proceeding I ran back to the trailer and saved. The reason is because I have no first aid kits left. Should I run around the Main house to try and stock up? I know RE games and I don't want to get to a point I can't finish the game because I can't heal. I don't get upset with spoilers so any input is appreciated.
Spoiler:
You should be fine. You'll get your stuff back shortly after that part and you'll be able to go back into the house. Me personally whenever I'm at a point where the enemies have stopped I go back and clear all of the items out of every previous area and put them in my item box.
Old 01-30-17, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RForte1189
Honestly, and I don't know if my feelings are shared here, but I don't feel like it was a new IP with a name slapped on at all. I truly feel as if this game is literally a first person version of RE1 with some elements of stealth added to it. Im only three hours in, but so far with the types of doors and the puzzles its highly reminiscent of my days in the Arklay Mountains. Minus your typical zombies and BOW variants of course.
I don't feel strongly one way or the other. They could have just made it a new IP and that would have been fine although having it be called Resident Evil helps sales. I agree it has aspects that feel like a RE game
Spoiler:
but with really no connection storywise (other then a few nods here or there)
it kind of feels like a marketing move.
Old 02-02-17, 09:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I finished this last night on VR mode in PS4. It was extremely engaging, and worked well for the most part. The graphics aren't great and you can really see the "seams" in a lot of places that aren't noticeable in HD, but for the most part it worked well. The biggest issue are the cutscenes because they aren't in VR and it takes you out of the game.

I plan to replay it in "Madhouse" on the television for comparison.
Old 02-04-17, 06:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
is it a particularly hard/frustrating game? i love me some ammo and shooting stuff and this seems more like conserving and going around stuff. Kinda like that great one on PS with the infected. What was that Last of Us? I couldn't get into it...
Anyone on the above? Is it like LoU at all?
Old 02-04-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Play the demo...
Old 02-04-17, 09:48 PM

I don't think the demo is indicative of the game. That was just a piece. Maybe gave us mechanics, but not true test of actual game...
Old 02-05-17, 12:01 AM

The game is like the early Resident Evil games, just from the first person perspective. It's also been compared to Alien: Isolation.
Old 02-13-17, 04:09 PM

Here are my thoughts on first DLC. There are three modes, all pretty different:

* "Ethan Must Die" -- this is a roguelike mini game that incorporates elements from Dark Souls. Not my cup of tea, but a lot of people really like it. Very challenging.
* "Nightmare" -- fight waves of enemies and craft items to help you; reminds me a bit of a single-player "COD: Zombies" mode.
* "Bedroom" -- an "escape the room" game. My favorite of the three, a lot of fun even though there's no replay value after you solve the puzzle.
Old 02-18-17, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Finished it. Overall I'm torn. This is a pretty good game. But It's like the Halloween 3 of the Resident Evil series. It has some similarities to the earlier games(puzzles, limited inventory) but it also feels so entirely different than the earlier games that it doesn't feel like a RE game. And with there basically only being (very) small connections to the game overall it feels more like a marketing move. I kept thinking to myself "This would be one hell of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre game or hell a Clock Tower or Silent Hill game" but it's not Resident Evil.

I will also say I thought the villains were lame. None of the bad guys were memorable and unlike in Alien:Isolation where I would crap my pants when the Alien showed up, when one of the Baker family showed up I got more annoyed than anything else.

Overall I would give this game a 4/5. I did enjoy it, but it wouldn't even make my top five Resident Evil games.
Old 02-18-17, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a high score for a game that wouldn't even land in your top 5 RE games. Out of curiosity, what are your top 5?
Old 02-18-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never played 3 or 6 so if I had to rate them it would be:

1. Resident Evil 7
2. Resident Evil 2
3. Resident Evil: Code Veronica
4. Resident Evil: REmake
5. Resident Evil 0
6. Resident Evil 5
7. Resident Evil 4
Old 02-18-17, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I never played 3 or 6 so if I had to rate them it would be:

1. Resident Evil 7
2. Resident Evil 2
3. Resident Evil: Code Veronica
4. Resident Evil: REmake
5. Resident Evil 0
6. Resident Evil 5
7. Resident Evil 4
4 is dead last, really?
Old 02-18-17, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
4 is dead last, really?
4 is the only RE game I don't like.
Old 02-18-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a high score for a game that wouldn't even land in your top 5 RE games. Out of curiosity, what are your top 5?
If I was rating the series as a whole, it would go like this:

RE2: Still one of the best gaming experiences ever for me.

RE4: One of my all time favorite games period.

RE1: Classic.

RE: Revelations 2: Really enjoyed it after not liking 1 all that much.

RE:Remake: I'm considering this a separate game since it does have enough differences to be unique. If you don't consider it a separate RE game then I would replace it and put Code Veronica on there. If I was rating the main number series in order it would go like this:

RE:4=Masterpiece. I still replay it occasionally to this day. 5/5
RE:2=One of my best gaming memories ever. 5/5
RE:1=Probably my favorite in terms of story, mystery and atmosphere. 5/5
RE:5=I thought it was fun but the cracks started to show in the RE4 formula. 4/5
RE:7=Different and unique but more boring and frustrating than the others. 4/5
RE:3=Fun but unmemorable and felt more like an expansion pack. 3/5
RE:0=Hated the Billy character and the game is just unmemorable. 2/5
RE:6(The only one I never finished because I got bored after the Leon and Chris missions and never finished Ashley's.). No rating.

Opinions vary, but considering that 4 is regarded typically as one of the greatest games ever made that does seem kind of confusing.
Old 02-18-17, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen
just curious, but why?
Old 02-18-17, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm very happy to finally find someone that agrees that 4 is awful. I thought it took the whole franchise in a poor direction and the story became a convoluted mess after that. It wasn't until Revelations 1 that I thought it brought back the great survival horror. My hatred of this game grows even more over the years because of the heaps of praise it has gotten from both gamers and reviewers. My ratings would be

Resident Evil 2 (a top 5 game for me)
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil Revelations
Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 4

Haven't played 5,6 yet but I heard both were not that good but I do want to pick up Revelations and 7 as reviews are good for both.
Old 02-18-17, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I forgot about the two Revelations games. I like both of those also.
Old 02-19-17, 11:45 AM

Here are my thoughts on the second DLC "Banned Footage Volume 2". Once again there are three unique modes:

* "Jack's 55th Birthday" -- a combat/action oriented mini-game; not bad, but not particularly deep
* "21" -- blackjack meets Saw. Not bad the first time through, but it plays too slow for me to want to replay
* "Daughters" -- the highlight of this DLC. A story-driven stealth prequel to the main story.
Old 02-20-17, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Regarding the upcoming free DLC "Not A Hero", looks like it's gonna be
Spoiler:
taking place right after the events of the main game, with you playing as Chris Redfield, going after Lucas Baker who ran away after his puzzles in the main game.
Old 02-20-17, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Here are my thoughts on the second DLC "Banned Footage Volume 2". Once again there are three unique modes:

* "Jack's 55th Birthday" -- a combat/action oriented mini-game; not bad, but not particularly deep
* "21" -- blackjack meets Saw. Not bad the first time through, but it plays too slow for me to want to replay
* "Daughters" -- the highlight of this DLC. A story-driven stealth prequel to the main story.
Thanks for your thoughts on the Banned Footage stuff. I ended up getting a season pass for half price off someone and I played through all the stuff that interested me (21, Daughters, Bedroom).
Old 02-21-17, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

Ok, I was going to wait until I beat the game to post but I just can't. I absolutely love this game - they nailed the atmosphere and it's super creepy.

Pretty amazed at how you're basically playing cut scenes at times. those sludge monsters are terrifying when they appear - caught myself Mother F*** my tv a few times.

I just love the house and how it feels like you're playing a movie come to life (if that makes any sense).

This is truly the first "Great" game to come out for the new consoles IMO. This is the type of game that has me questioning all the other games I own (which isn't many but still) and I'm hoping it will continue to amaze - I know it's short but I don't care about that.

I hear all DLC is going to be tapes as well which I think is cool.

Finally - I think the highest praise I can give this game is that it just may be scarier than Outlast - and if not scarier, it's easily just as scary.
Old 02-28-17, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

Well, I beat this game last weekend and unfortunately it
Spoiler:
Takes a bit of a dive once you leave the house

Way, way, too much was explained (If you read all the notes and documents you pick up along the way you'll know what I'm talking about) - so much so that it made the creatures and other elements a bit less scary and just destroyed the feeling of the unknown - this bummed me out a bit but the story as a whole was actually nice and deep and you really end up feeling for
Spoiler:
Eve

I love this game though - I'm so pleased with it - the controls are tight, graphics are excellent and the sound was amazing as well. Loved playing the tapes and just loved the atmosphere overall.

I don't see future titles being this good though as I'm sure we're going to get
Spoiler:
explosions and less creepiness
but I will take what I can get - this was an amazing haunted house game for the most part.

Groucho - thanks for the DLC details.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.