DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Xbox Live to support cross-network multiplayer (PC / PSN) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/633555-xbox-live-support-cross-network-multiplayer-pc-psn.html)

Adam Tyner 03-14-16 11:31 AM

Xbox Live to support cross-network multiplayer (PC / PSN)

Announced at GDC.

Cross-Network Play
First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.

Drexl 03-14-16 03:59 PM

Re: Xbox Live to support cross-network multiplayer (PC / PSN)

I think your thread title has an error.

This doesn't seem like a great idea, at least in FPS games. Won't gamepad users get smoked by mouse/keyboard users?

fumanstan 03-14-16 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 12750985)
I think your thread title has an error.

This doesn't seem like a great idea, at least in FPS games. Won't gamepad users get smoked by mouse/keyboard users?

It's up to developers, so chances are they wouldn't mix PC and console players if one has an advantage.

The bigger news is that Microsoft was supposedly adamant before about being closed off from other platforms which is rumored to be one of the major reasons why some games haven't come to XBox. Titles like the before-mentioned Rocket League was often an example of the developer going to PS4 first because of PC/PS4 cross play for a bigger pool of users, and I think I recall people talking about Capcom mentioning it with Street Fighter V.

Michael Corvin 03-14-16 05:07 PM

You can bet your ass this wouldn't be even a hint of an option if X1 was outselling the PS4.

Cool idea though. It would be fun for Arcade style downloadable games.

Giantrobo 03-15-16 02:37 PM

I'm cool with PS4 linking but not PC. They linked PC players with XBOX players on "Lost Planet" for Multiplayer. It really seems like the PC folks had a real advantage. Totally ruined the experience IMHO. At least there seems to be an opt out option.