Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gears of War 4 (XBox One, 2016)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Gears of War 4 (XBox One, 2016)

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Unless something changes, there's planned cross play for Gears of War 4 so theoretically you could play on PC with XBox friends.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/...one-windows-10
Now that is cool....that have that with Paragon with PC and PS4 players and that's been fun and haven't seen any issues. That makes me actually feel good today...thanks.
Old 09-15-16, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

WTFUCK!? that's been known/old news.
Old 09-16-16, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Why people have to constantly use harsh language and talk down to people here is beyond me....I guess some of us normal people are not some smarter-than-thou all knowing as some in this forum apparently have been righteously bestowed upon and gifted to be
Old 09-16-16, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

That's just how some people are...

Some people do it with sarcasm... others are just... well like gerry there...

I guess he wants to be thought of as the news guy around here...
Old 09-16-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't really understand the expletive there, I imagine cross play in general isn't that well known and there's still probably questions about it and how it will work for multiplayer. I can see co-op not being an issue, and I imagine the keyboard/mouse is less of an advantage for a game like Gears versus a faster paced shooter, but still
Old 09-19-16, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This looks great to me! The cover song sounds pretty good too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ji2aU4EdQww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-19-16, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

There's a few previews out for the game that seem pretty positive, not that previews can really be trusted.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...n-epic-revival

The truly disarming thing about Gears of War's return is that it no longer has an obvious rival. The original's mechanics have been imitated by every blockbuster under the sun, from Killzone through Tomb Raider to the Tom Clancy franchise, but most of its disciples have either died off or evolved beyond recognition. If the Coalition's debut is a fairly conservative work at heart, one that is content to tinker ingeniously within sturdy parameters, it nonetheless feels strangely exotic. There is no game out there right now that plays like this one, that uses quite these variables in quite this way, and while the revisions aren't mind-blowing individually, they're gripping as a whole. Marcus Fenix may have aged disgracefully, but Gears of War 4 has the wind in its sails.
http://www.gamesradar.com/hands-on-g...e-first-place/

This is what's so great about Gears of War 4. By going right back to basics, by reveling in the fundamentals of what made the series so vital in the first place, it is free to expand and grow at a steady pace in exciting new directions of its own, without the pressure of “Bigger, better, and more badass”. It's more dynamic, and more freeform, but it's still entirely Gears of War at its core, evolving from that rebooted starting point in a more logical and coherent fashion that allows it to be intricate and interesting rather than flashy or flamboyant.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/19/129...r-4-pre-review

At a basic level, Gears of War 4 is a joy to play. The guns are differentiated and interesting, each with its own quirks and use cases, and the feedback loop of shooting and hitting your target and nailing an active reload and shooting more is incredibly strong. Gears of War 4 could be far less complex in its environment design and enemy behaviors and it would still be fun to shoot things. But in the two-and-a-half hours I played, there was a strong, subtle evolution and progression to everything that made me sad when I had to stop.
Old 09-19-16, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't really understand the expletive there, I imagine cross play in general isn't that well known and there's still probably questions about it and how it will work for multiplayer. I can see co-op not being an issue, and I imagine the keyboard/mouse is less of an advantage for a game like Gears versus a faster paced shooter, but still
Quoting myself for clarification -

http://www.pcgamer.com/gears-of-war-...n-co-op-on-pc/

Additionally, the game can be played cross-play online between Windows 10 and Xbox One for the campaign co-op, Horde mode, multiplayer versus mode against AI, and multiplayer versus mode in private and LAN games. So while you won’t be able to jump into the same matchmaking queue as those poor souls who aren’t using a mouse to aim, you will be able to play with friends who don’t have the game on PC.
Split screen co-op on PC too is neat.
Old 09-20-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Gears is being given away as a free game for Nvidia GTX 1070 or 1080 buyers.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/20/12...-1070-gtx-1080
Old 09-21-16, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Development on Gears of War 4 is complete, as Microsoft announced the upcoming shooter has gone gold.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, Head of Xbox Phil Spencer, and other execs joined developer The Coalition in Vancouver to celebrate the milestone, according Xbox Wire. The company marked the occasion with a celebratory image of Nadella holding the gold master disc next to Spencer and The Coalition Studio Head Rod Fergusson.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09/...-has-gone-gold
Old 09-22-16, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gears Of War 4's Full Achievement List Has Been Revealed

The Coalition has stated that it's altered the descriptions of some of the rewards a little bit in an effort to prevent too many story spoilers - so that's nice. There's still a little bit of spoiler-based content in there, so be aware of that if you want to read on.

You can check out the full achievement list below:

General Gameplay:
  • Zen and the Art of Reloading - Perform 25 perfect active reloads [5G]
  • Drop the Beat…down - Get 3 Dropshot headshots [5G]
  • Now That's a Knife! - Kill 10 enemies with combat knife after yanking or kicking [5G]
  • Triple Play - Kill 3 enemies with a single Buzzkill shot [5G]
  • Whoomp, There It Is! - Knife execute an enemy that was yanked over cover by another player [5G]
  • I Live. I Die. I Live Again! - Rescue someone from inside a Snatcher [5G]
  • Pounsus Interruptus - Kill a Pouncer mid-pounce with Shotgun or Chainsaw [5G]
  • Stop Hitting Yourself - Kill a Guardian with a Guardian weapon [5G]
Campaign:
  • 16 Story Progression Achievements [80G]
  • Ready for More - Complete all campaign Acts (any difficulty) [10G]
  • Learned the Hard Way - Complete all campaign Acts on Hardcore or Insane Difficulty [20G]
  • The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors - Complete all campaign Acts on Insane Difficulty [30G]
  • Come And Knock on My Door - Complete one Act in Co-op Campaign (any difficulty) [5G]
  • Brothers Till The End - Complete all Campaign Acts in Co-op (any difficulty) [20G]
  • The Sound Of Silence - Complete the Campaign without dropping your inheritance [25G]
  • Collector - Recover 5 Campaign collectibles [5G]
  • Pack Rat - Recover 10 Campaign collectibles [10G]
  • Completist - Recover all Campaign collectibles [15G]
  • Remember the Fallen - Recover all COG Tags during the Campaign [15G]
  • But You Can't Pick Your Family - Find 5 weapons in snot bubbles [5G]
  • Look out! Uh… Never Mind - Kill 25 enemies by dropping pods on them [5G]
  • --Spoiler Protected-- Kills [5G]
  • Gone With The Windflare - Kill 15 enemies using the environment during a windflare [5G]

Versus:
  • Big Ol Hero -Get the "Big Ol Hero" Ribbon ten times [5G]
  • Bounty Hunter - Complete 20 Bounties [10G]
  • Chest Candy - Earn one of each launch Ribbon [10G]
  • Custom Made - Win a match using a non-Starter Character and non-default Weapon Skin [5G]
  • Ranked and Filed - Achieve a rank in all launch Core and Competitive game modes [5G]
  • Rollin' With the Homies - Earn the maximum Consecutive Match Bonus in Versus [5G]
  • Say Hello to My Little Friend - Get the final winning kill in Arms Race [5G]
  • How's it Going to Work? Teamwork! - Win a Casual Co-op Versus match [5G]
  • Teamwork Makes the Dream Work! - Win a Normal Co-op Versus match [5G]
  • Talent Gets Kills, Teamwork Wins Games! - Win a Hardcore Co-op Versus match [5G]
  • To Go Fast, Go Alone. To Go Far, Go Together - Win an Insane Co-op Versus match [5G]

Horde
  • At First I Was Afraid, I Was Petrified - Survive the first 10 consecutive waves of Horde in a squad (any difficulty, any map) [10G]
  • Bilford Bogin! - Complete 50 consecutive waves of Horde in a squad (any difficulty, any map) [25G]
  • I've Killed Things, Seen Places - Complete 50 consecutive waves of Horde in a squad on every Launch Series map (any difficulty) [50G]
  • I Have Approximate Knowledge of Many Things - Complete 50 consecutive waves of Horde as Scout on Insane in a squad (any map) [20G]
  • Job's Done - Complete 50 consecutive waves of Horde as Engineer on Insane in a squad (any map) [20G]
  • Oh What a Day! What a Lovely Day! - Complete 50 consecutive waves of Horde as Soldier on Insane in a squad [20G]
  • I Choose Violence - Complete 50 consecutive waves of Horde as Heavy on Insane in a squad (any map) [20G]
  • Give a Name. Any Name. - Complete 50 consecutive waves of Horde as Sniper on Insane in a squad (any map) [20G]
  • I Have a Very Particular Set of Skills - Upgrade a Skill card to maximum level [5G]
  • Skills That Make Me a Nightmare - Upgrade 5 Launch Series Skill cards to maximum level [10G]
  • Classy Move - Reach level 10 in one Horde Class [5G]
  • Stay Classy - Reach level 10 in every Launch Horde Class [10G]
  • Gold Digger - Spend 100000 Power in the Fabricator (across all sessions) [10G]
  • Sugar Daddy - Deposit 1,000,000 power in the Fabricator lifetime [10G]
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot. - Upgrade Fabricator to maximum level (in one session) [5G]
  • Call a Dr. If Lasting More than 4 Teammates - Resurrect 4 teammates using the Fabricator in a single session (any difficulty) [5G]

Progression & Cards:

• Level 10 - Reach level 10 [10G]
  • Level 50 - Reach level 50 [25G]
  • It's a Start - Earn 1000 Credits lifetime [5G]
  • Moving on up! - Earn 10000 Credits lifetime [10G]
  • I'm Drumpf - Earn 100000 Credits lifetime [20G]
  • Craftsman - Craft a card [5G]
  • Master Craftsman - Craft a Legendary card [10G]
  • Thank You, Sir. May I Have Another? - Re-up once [10G]
  • Please Sir, Can I Have Some More? - Re-up ten times [100G]
  • Seriously 4.0 - Complete Insane Campaign, ribbons, rank placements, Horde maps, re-ups, classes and five skills [200G]

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news...-Revealed.html
Old 09-23-16, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I bought a digital copy off of eBay. A guy was selling about 25 of them (from Nvida cards). Some folks at CAG got them for as little as $34 but I found out about it late and had to pay $40. Still that's better than Best Buy with GCU and RZ certificate. And now I have the option to play on the PC as well (not that I'm likely to do that). Looking forward to this one.
Old 09-23-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I already have mine pre-ordered but I just noticed that at Gamestop if you are a pro member you will get a 20 dollar voucher to another game if you pre-order there.
Essentially making Gears 40 dollars or the game you buy with the voucher 40 dollars.
Old 09-26-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
I already have mine pre-ordered but I just noticed that at Gamestop if you are a pro member you will get a 20 dollar voucher to another game if you pre-order there.
Essentially making Gears 40 dollars or the game you buy with the voucher 40 dollars.
bah the $20 coupon is only good on games that cost $59 or more
Since I already have GCU, best buy seems like the way to go. $48 after gcu and $10 in rewards. I am assuming the cheapest it will be on BF is $30-$35.

edit: Ouch, the season pass is $50. I guess I need to reconsider the ultimate edition.

Last edited by Krayzie; 09-26-16 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-26-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I bought a digital copy off of eBay. A guy was selling about 25 of them (from Nvida cards). Some folks at CAG got them for as little as $34 but I found out about it late and had to pay $40. Still that's better than Best Buy with GCU and RZ certificate. And now I have the option to play on the PC as well (not that I'm likely to do that). Looking forward to this one.
I can't believe I missed out on the amazon screw up. They emailed out the gears codes before the cards shipped so a bunch of people ordered them then canceled the cards for free gears 4.
Old 09-26-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's pretty shitty. Couldn't Amazon always go in and deactivate those codes at a later date? I thought I remember reading that they ended up doing something similar with another game that they accidentally sent full game codes for.
Old 09-26-16, 01:54 PM

That is a shitty thing to do. No excuse to rip off a business like that. I sincerely hope that's not where my code came from.

Not trying to take some sort of moral high-ground, but I wouldn't do that sort of thing even if I knew I could get away with it.
Old 09-27-16, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Gears of War ‏@GearsofWar 40m40 minutes ago
Good news! #GearsofWar4 pre-load for XB1 digital pre-orders begins later today at 5pm PDT (12am UTC). Expected download size will be 54.6GB.

Gears of War ‏@GearsofWar 39m39 minutes ago
#GearsofWar4 PC pre-loading is coming soon and will be well ahead of launch! We will be sharing updates on that in the near future.
Old 09-27-16, 07:17 PM

So I can download the 55 GB game a full two weeks before I can actually play it?

@GearsofWar, You and I have very different definitions of "Good news!"
Old 09-27-16, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Compared to trying to download 55 GB the day it comes out at the same time as everyone else, it sounds like good news to me. I guess I don't get the sarcasm
Old 09-27-16, 07:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Any idea when we can dl the older games?
Old 09-27-16, 08:01 PM

Downloading it a couple of days early certainly might be useful. Being able to download it 14 days before you can play it seems unnecessary and certainly nothing to triumphantly tweet about.

To me, that's kind of like putting presents under the tree in mid-October.
Old 09-27-16, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Any idea when we can dl the older games?
13 months ago, I think.

If you never got the codes before, I guess you'll get them with the game. I have the digital preorder, but I already owned digital copies of all the games (TWICE), so I can't tell if they give you the code when you buy the preorder or not.

Edit : I found my old codes. I may have redeemed one of them (Gears 2, I think) but I already had the rest owned. So I'll PM you those codes and you can play the games now.
Old 09-27-16, 08:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Thanks Deck. I just preordered the digital copy yesterday so perhaps I'll get email soon?
Old 09-27-16, 08:39 PM

With Gears Ultimate they sent the codes out like a month after the game came out, via Xbox message. I assume that it will be something similar.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.