Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Need for Speed: Unbound (12/2/22; Xbox Series S|X, PS5, PC)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-22, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

The official reveal is supposed to be tomorrow, but here's a sneak peek:

Old 10-05-22, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
re: Need for Speed: Unbound (12/2/22; Xbox Series S|X, PS5, PC)

When was the last NFS: Most Wanted type game? I need to be chased by the cops in the best gen possible!
Old 10-06-22, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 10-06-22, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

More from IGN!

Titled Need for Speed Unbound, Criterion's long-awaited return to the racing scene will utilize new-gen consoles and the Frostbite Engine to deliver 4K 60fps visuals in a free-roaming open world called Lakeshore. The physics will run at a high frame-rate as well, offering "more control and nuance to...the physical movement of the cars," creative director Kieran Crimmins says.
It's reflected in Need for Speed Unbound's single-player, which will feature a "completely new campaign structure."

"So when you go in a race, there's a buy-in, which basically, you have to be able to play the race and then you can win that back with a reward if you do well or you can lose that money. So you have to make a choice in which race you want to do and what buy-ins you're comfortable with," Crimmins explains. "Every single race also gives you a little bit of heat. So if you do lots and lots of races in one session, your heat can build up and you'll take a huge gamble on the money that you're carrying around as well. So there's a consequence there."

It will also include what Criterion describes as an "immersive narrative" in which two friends are torn apart by a robbery at a family auto shop, leaving the player to try and reclaim a priceless car by winning the "ultimate street race."

"[E]very single one of those characters, we've actually made them full characters this time," Crimmins says. "They've got little story arcs, they've got personalities, they've got their own car customization and style and you can see them driving around."
Multiplayer, meanwhile, has been tuned to be "as low friction as possible." When you go into the multiplayer mode you can drive around the world, meet up with friends, or just mess around. While there, "people will be pinging off race requests and playlist requests and you can seamlessly join any one of those events at any time," Crimmins says.

The mode includes a banner system that will allow players to show off photos and achievements. Neither Criterion nor EA were ready to discuss whether Need for Speed Unbound would have a battle pass or any other type of monetization; however, EA did confirm that it will feature a series of "free content updates" after launch, including "new features, experiences, content drops, and more." EA says it will reveal more details on post-launch content "soon."

One way or another, Need for Speed Unbound will include plenty of ways to make your car your own, including fully customizable characters, body kits, and wraps, as well as tiered vehicles similar to Forza Horizon and tie-ins with "loads of really high-end prestige brands." Gameplay customization will also include "thousands of thousands" of combinations for car tuning, as well as tiered vehicles similar to Forza Horizon. Crimmins wasn't able to say how many cars will be in the new release, only that it will have "a lot."
It's all wrapped in what Crimmins claims is the "deepest driving system and the best handling" that Criterion has ever put in one of its racing games. It's augmented by a brand-new physics system, which Webster calls a "super sophisticated physical simulation" that's "comparable to other big driving sims." The difference, Webster says, is that Need for Speed aims to be as accessible as possible via driver assist mechanics while maintaining a high skill ceiling.
Old 10-06-22, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I always enjoyed the tuning aspect of the NFS games... they've seem to have gone away from that as of late. Not sure how I feel about those 1960 Batman popup graphics either. I might wait until this is free on Game Pass.
Old 10-06-22, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Oh man, I do like that trailer. To me the series has not been that great since Underground and I am getting that vibe here.
Old 12-10-22, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Re: Need for Speed: Unbound (12/2/22; Xbox Series S|X, PS5, PC)

Well this game came out. Never heard a peep about it.
Anyway it's on sale now.
Old 12-10-22, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I may grab it, hearing good things about. I’ve just never been that into this series.
Old 12-10-22, 01:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Looks fun, especially because it's a new Criterion Games game, but I'll wait until it's on EA Play or whatever that Game Pass add-on is called. John from Digital Foundry seems to really like it, and I find my taste frequently aligns with his.
The following users liked this post:
Rob V (12-12-22)
Old 12-10-22, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

You can play 10 hours of it on EA Play.
Old 12-10-22, 07:49 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Shush! I want to play 11 hours.