DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   A New Cartridge-Based Console Is Coming Out Next Year. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/630075-new-cartridge-based-console-coming-out-next-year.html)

Sonny Corinthos 12-21-15 08:52 AM

A New Cartridge-Based Console Is Coming Out Next Year.

Classic gaming company Coleco is making a comeback. The company has announced a partnership with Retro Video Game Systems for a cartridge-based console it's calling Coleco Chameleon.

It's described as a "versatile new video game system that serves as a modern day take on the classic game console." It can play 8-, 16-, and 32-bit games, which Coleco says it is a "growing and popular genre."

The Coleco Chameleon will play cartridge games--no, really. That makes it the first console about two decades to do that. In a statement, Retro Video Game Systems president Mike Kennedy said the console "is a love-letter to all the classic cartridge based gaming systems that came before it."

"It will take gamers and their families back to a simpler time where games were all about great gameplay and fun factor," he added. The original ColecoVision console was released in 1982.

Pricing was not announced. But writing on Twitter, developers said "it will be significantly more affordable than the first go-around."

The Coleco Chameleon will be available to buy in early 2016 and will be on display at the Toy Fair New York in February. You can learn more about the console on its website.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/a-n.../1100-6433270/

Me007gold 12-21-15 09:02 AM

Re: A New Cartridge-Based Console Is Coming Out Next Year.

From the comments in the article

This isn't really new, the company behind this tried a Kickstarter for the system back in May, when it was called the "Retro VGS", and it failed miserably. The system is made using the original mold from the Atari Jaguar shell, and possibly will use the cartridge shells too. And the controller is simply a 3rd party Wii-U pro controller they bought they rights too and very slightly modified. Now after failing once, they are trying to partner up with the group that owns the rights to the Coleco name, slapping a new logo on it, and trying again.

Solid Snake 12-21-15 09:16 AM

meh

fujishig 12-21-15 09:22 AM

Wait, failed Kickstarter, Atari jaguar shell, 3rd party wiiu controller, cartridges, 32 bit games and the venerated coleco name? Sounds like a recipe for unmitigated success!

I mean, I bought an Ouya so I don't have a leg to stand on, but who's the market for this? And what store is going to devote shelf space to their cartridges? Radio Shack?

dom56 12-21-15 09:31 AM

Err..Radio Shack went out of business.

DVD Josh 12-21-15 10:02 AM

Have it play old school NES, SNES, and Genesis carts and I'll think about (even though that already exists anyway)

Adam Tyner 12-21-15 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by dom56 (Post 12677544)
Err..Radio Shack went out of business.

They're a shadow of what they were, but they're still around.

K&AJones 12-21-15 10:10 AM

So you'll have a new updated shinny nex gen looking console to play older outdated tech base games that you can get almost dirt cheap on disc or digital download on a current gen system....be like me wanting to ditch my Projector & 7.1 sound system and go back to a 36" tube TV and 4-channel stereo.

Mike86 12-21-15 12:22 PM

I think Coleco is overestimating the demand for something like this. I think there is a certain group of gamers that like to play retro games on classic consoles and NES games and other classic cartridge console games are sort of popular again but that's because they have known titles that have already been out for ages that people want to go back to.

chuckd21 12-21-15 12:37 PM

Coleco isn't actually even Coleco anymore. It's just some Trademark holder.

Music 12-21-15 03:18 PM

It looks like something that should have come out in the early 90s...

Spoiler:
and failed