Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS4/X1 - Which is better media player?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-15, 07:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS4/X1 - Which is better media player?

Now that the price has dropped on both, I am finally going to buy a new console. I do plan to wait until Black Friday to see what deals are available then.

My main question is which is the better media player? I am a casual gamer, so I will mostly use it for streaming Netflix and watching Blurays. Which console does that better or is it about the same on both?

My second question is are there any problems this gen like there was last gen with the RROD?
Old 10-10-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: PS4/X1 - Which is better media player?

Originally Posted by Ganondorf
Now that the price has dropped on both, I am finally going to buy a new console. I do plan to wait until Black Friday to see what deals are available then.

My main question is which is the better media player? I am a casual gamer, so I will mostly use it for streaming Netflix and watching Blurays. Which console does that better or is it about the same on both?

My second question is are there any problems this gen like there was last gen with the RROD?
1. They're about even, slight edge to the Xbox One because I like the HDMI Pass Thru for my cable box. The Xbox One has Sling TV and Cable Passthru, the PS4 doesn't but does offer Playstation Vue (a different type of cable package). On the other side of the coin, the PS4 has Spotify, the Xbox One does not.

2. There are some tales of issues with both consoles, but nowhere near RROD levels.
Old 10-12-15, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont gave any experince with X1 but I do have to say the only problem with watching media on my PS4 is the lack of a deficated media remote. The PS4s controller sucks as far as battery life is concerned and has a habit of not powering down after a reasonable ammount of time. Leads to many charging sessions.
Old 10-12-15, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
I dont gave any experince with X1 but I do have to say the only problem with watching media on my PS4 is the lack of a deficated media remote. The PS4s controller sucks as far as battery life is concerned and has a habit of not powering down after a reasonable ammount of time. Leads to many charging sessions.
I was going to add that and the fact it lacks IR compatibility, but the recently announced PS4 Media Remote fixes both issues.
Old 10-12-15, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I vote PS3?
Old 10-12-15, 12:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Can I vote PS3?
You can I suppose, but I am not going to buy it. My choice is between either PS4 or X1. The only games on PS3 that I really want to play have been remastered on PS4 anyway. (Uncharted and The Last of Us)
Old 10-12-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Between those two then I vote PS4. I've had far too many audio sync issues on the X1 to recommend it as a media player.
Old 10-12-15, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I was going to add that and the fact it lacks IR compatibility, but the recently announced PS4 Media Remote fixes both issues.
That's not out yet, is it?

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Can I vote PS3?
This is what I would vote too. Otherwise, I think the Xbox One sync issues are fixed, but I wouldn't know because I use my PS3 for all media. If/when the PS4 gets IR support or fixes their Harmony compatibility, I'd probably use that, though.

But yeah, besides the battery problem, controlling media via the PS4 controller sucks... you have the always-on blue light, and the fact that nudging the controller even a little will cause the bumpers to fast forward/rewind.
Old 10-12-15, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
That's not out yet, is it?
The official release date is October 27th, but GameStop has it now.
Old 10-12-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Yeah, my PS3 does wireless streaming much better than my 360 or X1. I actually like the feel of the 360 media remote better than the PS3, but I use the PS3 for all my BD play so I'm used to it. The X1 media remote is OK but feels too small with indistinct buttons.
Old 10-12-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

I dont gave any experince with X1 but I do have to say the only problem with watching media on my PS4 is the lack of a deficated media remote. ...
Personally, I am quite happy there is a lack of this.
Old 10-12-15, 05:31 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Vote for PS3, which was a true media server unlike the PS4
Old 10-13-15, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Same here. Use my PS3 to stream stuff all the time, both online and from my PC.
Old 10-13-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

If Plex would hurry up and allow people to buy the standalone apps instead of Plex Pass that would help a lot. I like that both the PS4 and XB1 allow you to play more file formats natively then last gen though. That's a benefit for me over my PS3, which I still use as a blu-ray/netflix player.
Old 10-13-15, 03:09 PM
Banned

You guys recommending the PS3... If I wanted a last-gen console, I would have said so in the opening post and/or title. I specifically want either a PS4 or X1.

Yes, the PS3 may be better than the new gen consoles, but really how much longer is it still going to be supported? Is it even still supported now? The PS4 is much more future-proof since it is going to be supported for significantly longer at this point in time. Plus, as mentioned before, I am a casual gamer. The only PS3 games I am interested in have already been remastered on PS4 (Uncharted and Last of Us).
Old 10-13-15, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you are getting that answer because of this:

I am a casual gamer, so I will mostly use it for streaming Netflix and watching Blurays.
There is no point in purchasing a $350 - $400 system when a $150 - $200 (or cheaper if you buy a used/refurbished) will do what you are asking for BETTER than the new tech that is out there now. I think everyone is just trying to save you some dough