DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Far Cry Primal (PS4, XB1, 2/23/15; PC, 3/16) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/628976-far-cry-primal-ps4-xb1-2-23-15%3B-pc-3-16-a.html)

starseed1981 03-03-16 10:31 AM

Re: Far Cry Primal (PS4, XB1, 2/23/15; PC, 3/16)

Them sons o bitchez.

Rob V 03-03-16 10:40 AM

Clearly this game was meant to be DLC... and it feels as such.

mattysemo247 03-03-16 10:45 AM

Our local library just got this in. I think I'm going to pass for now though, because I still need to play through Far Cry 4 and don't want to be burnt out by blowing through this one first.

Rob V 03-03-16 10:49 AM

^^ you should really play Primal first because 4 is vastly superior and it'll be a nice breath of fresh air.

mattysemo247 03-03-16 12:53 PM

How long does it take to get through Primal? Just the main campaign stuff.

Rob V 03-03-16 12:57 PM

lol... I don't know because I can't get the desire to play it; whereas FC4 was just a blast from beginning to end.

foxdvd 03-03-16 01:48 PM

I am still playing this. It is fun in small chunks. I can't play it more than an hour or so before I have to stop. Riding on the back of an animal companion is fun though.

This does feel like dlc that was expanded. That being said it does feel like it is worth the asking price. They did not cut corners. Also, while the map is obviously the same as 4, until someone pointed it out I had not noticed. The game does look amazing.

My mind tells me I should love this game, but my heart is just not into it that much.

Larry C. 03-05-16 03:43 AM

Quick question a little off topic. Does anyone who has played and really enjoyed FC4 prefer Primal over it? And I got hooked on FC4 something fierce. I'm gonna probably take a break and wait on a Primal significant price drop out of fear of that jumping straight into Primal after putting what's gonna be over 100 hrs after helping friend to co-op I'll be strung out on the FC format and might be overly critical of Primal.

Now my off topic... Any opinions on if I loved FC4 is Rise of Tomb Raider a must play? It obviously has major differences, third person, more linear, etc. I'm more interested in similarities in overall tone, atmosphere, exploration, collectables and upgrades.

Michael Corvin 03-05-16 04:03 AM

I just started Far Cry 4, but if you're more into the collecting, setting, exploration, etc. then Tomb Raider definitely fits the bill.

nickdawgy 03-05-16 11:31 PM

I still have to play Tomb Raider.

I think I like FC Primal more than FC 4.

foxdvd 03-06-16 12:01 AM

I finished this up today, and got my platinum. It was the shortest game in the series. I finished it at about 13 hours...but it took another 7 to get my platinum. There are collectibles I still need to find, but really that is all I have left in the game to do.

It was fun. A solid game with flaws. If you are on the fence, I say wait until it is under 30....

Decker 03-06-16 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 12743762)
I think I like FC Primal more than FC 4.

Whoa. I'm sort of liking Primal, but it's nowhere near as much fun as FC4 IMO.

bryce0lynch 03-07-16 12:36 PM

Far Cry is my favorite series, since 1 (which I think is/was better than HL2 & D3), but I returned Primal to Steam today.

It doesn't feel like a Far Cry game. The open world sandboxy gameplay just isn't there the way it was with 1, 3, and 4. Lack of options, maybe, to execute your plans?

I think it was a very very pretty game, and the concept was interesting. But it was not for me/not what I was expecting from a Far Cry game.

Decker 03-10-16 08:24 AM

You know, it's weird : the combat is as much of a drag as I imagined -- blindly swinging clubs or standing out in the open firing arrow after arrow into bad guys' faces. But once you level up your Beastmaster skills, the game becomes much too easy. Between an owl that can tag all enemies, drop bombs and stealth kill even tougher enemies and a menagerie of animals like Jaguars and bears to send in and take care of the enemies once they're tagged (and can be revived at any time from your menu for the cost of two leaves), you never even have to see an enemy again (except for boss fights). Outpost takeovers were my favorite part of FC4, but here it's just a comical waiting game until they're all cleaned out by my animals. In the FC4 thread, I was bemoaning not being able to take over an outpost without being detected (a requirement for leveling up certain skills), but here that's not a problem at all.

Also, whenever you kill somebody, you have the option to move the body, but for the life of me I don't know why you'd ever want to. Once there was an NPC who asked me to throw some bodies on a fire - that was the only time I ever moved a body, or had any reason to. Hell these guys don't even think it's weird when an owl flys overhead and kills them one by one. If that were me, I'd be heading indoors after a few of my friends were suddenly killed by the owl I now see circling overhead.

dsa_shea 03-10-16 09:51 AM

Sounds like the owl drops bombs on some moms.

nickdawgy 03-11-16 02:49 AM

The animals can get killed easy if you're outnumbered.

Anyway I finished it. About 50% done. No desire to get all the collectibles.

A fun game but repetitive at the end. Speaking of the end, the ending sucked. I'm getting rid of this tomorrow.

uteotw 03-11-16 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12747557)
You know, it's weird : the combat is as much of a drag as I imagined -- blindly swinging clubs or standing out in the open firing arrow after arrow into bad guys' faces. But once you level up your Beastmaster skills, the game becomes much too easy. Between an owl that can tag all enemies, drop bombs and stealth kill even tougher enemies and a menagerie of animals like Jaguars and bears to send in and take care of the enemies once they're tagged (and can be revived at any time from your menu for the cost of two leaves), you never even have to see an enemy again (except for boss fights). Outpost takeovers were my favorite part of FC4, but here it's just a comical waiting game until they're all cleaned out by my animals. In the FC4 thread, I was bemoaning not being able to take over an outpost without being detected (a requirement for leveling up certain skills), but here that's not a problem at all.

Also, whenever you kill somebody, you have the option to move the body, but for the life of me I don't know why you'd ever want to. Once there was an NPC who asked me to throw some bodies on a fire - that was the only time I ever moved a body, or had any reason to. Hell these guys don't even think it's weird when an owl flys overhead and kills them one by one. If that were me, I'd be heading indoors after a few of my friends were suddenly killed by the owl I now see circling overhead.

Yeah I know what you mean, but you don't have to do it that way. I use the owl to pick off one or two, esp. on the tough outposts, and then do the rest myself. (Or sometimes I'll send in a cheetah to take care of one because they are stealthy and fast.)

To each his own, but I'm loving this game. I just tamed a brown bear and he's been a great help.

nickdawgy 03-11-16 04:37 PM

Wait til you get the tougher bears.

I never used the owl once outside of the times they forced you to.

mndtrp 03-13-16 11:29 AM

While I haven't played Primal yet, I like when a game gives you the option of an easy way or a hard way. Speaking from Far Cry 3, sometimes I liked the challenge of taking an outpost by knife. Sometimes I just wanted to get it over with, and I went in guns blazing.

Decker 03-13-16 01:29 PM

Sure I agree that there's an easy way and a hard way to tackle anything in the game, the problem is that the easy way nets you four times the XP of the hard way thanks to the Stealth bonus. Sure you could try for the Stealth bonus using takedowns and throwables, but the odds of being sucessful are far worse.
I played the shit out of FC4 and I think it balanced your options much better. Here the tamed animals are so overpowered that there are a bunch of weapons (shards, slings, traps) that I've never even used once since I got them.

foxdvd 03-13-16 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12750160)
Sure I agree that there's an easy way and a hard way to tackle anything in the game, the problem is that the easy way nets you four times the XP of the hard way thanks to the Stealth bonus. Sure you could try for the Stealth bonus using takedowns and throwables, but the odds of being sucessful are far worse.
I played the shit out of FC4 and I think it balanced your options much better. Here the tamed animals are so overpowered that there are a bunch of weapons (shards, slings, traps) that I've never even used once since I got them.

Not true at all...the easy way will net you a lot more xp than the normal guns blazing way because of the stealth bonus, but you lose a LOT of xp when your pets kill enemies vs you and also if enemies are fighting themselves you get zero xp. The best xp way would be the true hard way of slowly taking out your enemies without alerting anyone and not using pets, outside tagging. An average size camp later in the game can have 2-4 heavy enemies. Take downs on them will net you 200 xp each, so those alone can equal your stealth bonus. Also even with guns blazing (or I guess arrows blazing) the camp will call for reinforcements which can bring another 5-10 enemies, some heavies, in which might even make up the stealth bonus loss.

gerrythedon 03-16-16 11:25 PM

:up: Hunter vision
:up: Owl
:up: taming/using/feeding/petting your animal
:up: Double Bow

:( my tamed buddy getting hurt and going down

83.74% 34h 15M. 1000GS

I think this one was my favorite from all. I just loved the story, setting and theme. I liked looking for lost Wenja and building our village... and it was something different than just Guns all the time. My franchise play is over and damn it was great. Love this series/ franchise and it's definitely in my top 7 list.

Decker 04-02-16 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 12748554)
The animals can get killed easy if you're outnumbered.

Anyway I finished it. About 50% done. No desire to get all the collectibles.

A fun game but repetitive at the end. Speaking of the end, the ending sucked. I'm getting rid of this tomorrow.

I'm right there with you. Finished it up and returned it today. About 50%, 34 hours. And yeah, the ending sucked big time. Actually the entire story was a bore and they kind of forgot about it for most of the game. Each secondary character has one or two missions then theor story just ends. So weird.
These games are absolutely my wheelhouse but this one was no where near as fun as 3 or 4 (and WAY easier with Beast Master skills enabled -- most of my deaths in the second half of the game were from falling too far)

Osiris3657 08-09-16 11:08 PM

Beat this tonight. I liked it, as I thought I would. Sure, it's just a primitive setting painted over Far Cry 4, but I still had a blast. I thought it was really cool that the game designers hired a couple linguists to create a couple new languages.

Sure, there's nothing particularly memorable about the characters or story, but the gameplay was fun. No regrets spending $30.

I'm at 66%, thinking of going for 100%.

mattysemo247 01-05-19 05:19 PM

I just wanted to pop in and say this game is so much fun :lol:

I'm extremely late to the party, but I'm glad I finally got around to it, even if that means Far Cry 5 sits on the shelf a little bit longer now. The people in your camp seem to be way more interesting than just about anyone I've met in other FC games and trying to get all the animals has been pretty fun so far. Anyways, solid recommendation from me.