DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Favorite game in the Super Mario series? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/626810-favorite-game-super-mario-series.html)

Sub-Zero 05-12-15 06:15 PM

Favorite game in the Super Mario series?

What is your favorite game in the Super Mario series (main console series only)?

Me007gold 05-12-15 06:46 PM

Re: Favorite game in the Super Mario series?

Super Mario World, then Mario 64, then SMB3

fumanstan 05-12-15 06:59 PM

World for me too. I'm not a fan of the 3D Mario games really, so I never got in to something like Galaxy. I got rid of my Wii before New Super Mario Bros. Wii came out, but did love the DS version that doesn't count here.

Michael Corvin 05-12-15 07:25 PM

#1. Super Mario World - perfected what Mario 3 started and introduced Yoshi. What's not to love?

#2. Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 - While I think 2 is a superior & more polished experience, 1 gets the nod for being so original.

From there it's a toss up between Mario 3 and 64.

mhg83 05-12-15 07:36 PM

Mario 3. It was my first Mario game and still a joy to play. I think I beat it 12 times :)

DthRdrX 05-12-15 11:10 PM

Mario 3. That was something when that game came out. Sold out and hard as can be in my area to get a copy for sometime. We used to play it at the local pizza parlor too! I'd put Super Mario World right after it.

foxdvd 05-12-15 11:33 PM

I was almost going to pick super mario world but at the last second I went with Super Mario Galaxy 2....

Sub-Zero 06-04-15 07:25 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. I had no idea that Super Mario World was so popular.

RichC2 06-04-15 08:28 PM

SMB 3 was the best overall, I found SMW a little bit annoying with the Yoshi stuff. 64 was just way too repetitive.

SMB 3 > SMG > SMB2 (soft spot).

chess 06-04-15 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 12479803)
#2. Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 - While I think 2 is a superior & more polished experience, 1 gets the nod for being so original.

My thoughts precisely, except that they are my absolute favorites even though I generally prefer 2D platformers.

mattysemo247 06-05-15 07:44 AM

I still need to play SMG 2. It's still in the wrapper from release day :doh: I did finish the first one though, which is still one of my favorite Mario games. I voted for M64 though. I played through that one multiple times when it came out. Loved that game.

Mike86 06-05-15 03:35 PM

Of the ones I've played its a toss up between Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario 64. I grew up with Super Mario Bros. 3 and have fond memories of playing it with my parents and brother, but I always liked Super Mario 64 a lot too. I didn't have an SNES growing up so the games from that era I played later but never have had the same attachment to and I honestly haven't liked Nintendo that much since the N64 (other than their handhelds).

DVD Josh 06-05-15 03:59 PM

I really love SM2 even though it's the wicked stepchild of the series. It's the most fun in my opinion.

RichC2 06-05-15 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 12500645)
I really love SM2 even though it's the wicked stepchild of the series. It's the most fun in my opinion.

:up:

OldBoy 06-05-15 04:25 PM

SMB 3. only one i finished. 64 has a soft spot as well, but never finished...

Supermallet 06-05-15 08:39 PM

I don't think I even bought SMG2, I guess I should.

For me it's SMW and I'm not surprised that it's gotten so many votes. It is the archetypal Mario game, with just enough variation to keep the levels from getting stale, and some really challenging areas. The game also feels absolutely epic.

After that I'd probably go with SMB2 and then 3D World.

beavis69 06-06-15 10:55 AM

Mario 64 for me then SMB 3. Mario 64 is one of the few games that blew me away when I played it. I remember it was on a demo in Best Buy back when they had the Nintendo console hooked up to a bunch of tvs that formed a big screen that everyone in the store could see. Still love playing it to this day.

Dubya 06-06-15 11:18 AM

Never had a Nintendo system after the NES so I went with SMB 3. Shout out to the original SMB 1 though because I remember not playing it for quite awhile after I received the NES for Christmas 87 but once I finally did I couldn't wait for each sequel.

Noonan 06-06-15 04:35 PM

World was my favorite; followed by RPG

Keith6601 06-06-15 07:08 PM

RPG followed by World.

zero 06-07-15 12:02 AM

I REALLY love Mario Sunshine, really sad Nintendo has yet to revisit that world.

brayzie 06-08-15 04:10 AM

Easily Super Mario Bros 3.
The callback to the first Mario Bros game with the bonus stage was brilliant and gave the game a sense of continuity. It had the colorful graphics of SMB 2 but went all-out with level design and new gameplay.

Super Mario World was really fun too but I just liked the overall design of SMB 3 better.

<s>Third favorite is Super Mario Land.</s> Forgot this was only for the main consoles.

RichC2 06-08-15 08:03 AM

Super Mario Land taught me about stereo headphones as a kid. The music when you got star power would jump back and forth ear to ear and was always a bit trippy :lol: