Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: The Force will be with you. . . on which of the following gaming machines?
PC
8.99%
PS4
52.81%
Xbox One
38.20%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Still seems silly to me. This is Star Wars. Everyone wants a chance to be Luke or Vader, not just the l33t players that hit a killstreak. Should there be rewards for killstreaks? Sure, but holding out on the holy grail for players is weak.
This reads eerily close to what my last response was (including "l33t" ) before I thought I'd be less antagonistic
Old 10-12-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

What can I say?
Old 10-12-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

I get the complaints that those who are used to COD style gameplay, I've played a ton of them and still play AW and Black Ops 2. But, the most annoying thing about those games is when you get grouped with people/groups that can start bombarding you with kill streak rewards a few minutes into the game turning it into an chore just to take two steps. I'm more of an objective player, not a high kill count player so I have very rarely achieved decent kill streaks.

Played some more Assault last night and had a blast because I got to take control of several vehicles and got a hold of some of the more destructive explosives and got to contribute more to my teams cause than I would just running around with my stock weapons.

Can't wait for this to come out.
Old 10-12-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How much longer is the beta going on for?

EDIT: Looks like it ends tomorrow.
Old 10-12-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Still seems silly to me. This is Star Wars. Everyone wants a chance to be Luke or Vader, not just the l33t players that hit a killstreak. Should there be rewards for killstreaks? Sure, but holding out on the holy grail for players is weak.
I don't think you need to be elite to earn a quality killstreak. I suck at CoD but still manage to earn some upper tier streaks from time to time -- or I just plain luck into them with drop boxes (that I earned). If everyone is cool with a totally level playing field then more power to them... I personally like the challenge of earning something rather than wandering a map to luck into it. I also understand why someone is pumped because their kids could do all those cool things -- in an earlier post I said the same about my son -- but as the adult who will mostly play this game, I'm disappointed that it's so random.

And Pinata - have all the opinions you want, but I sure wouldn't tell people what makes a solid RPG when I've never play them.
Old 10-12-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V
And Pinata - have all the opinions you want, but I sure wouldn't tell people what makes a solid RPG when I've never play them.
Ah, here's the disconnect. I never claimed that this would make it a "solid FPS". I simply said that it should be accessible to all players and be more fun than serious, like this Polygon editorial suggests.

There's no reason why there can't be multiple modes either. They could do progression/reward game modes as well as arcade-y modes with level playing fields and powerups/weapons lying around.

I guess I'm more Doom/Quake than CoD/BF, but they all exist and are all "solid" in their own ways.
Old 10-12-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Ah, here's the disconnect. I never claimed that this would make it a "solid FPS". I simply said that it should be accessible to all players and be more fun than serious, like this Polygon editorial suggests.

There's no reason why there can't be multiple modes either. They could do progression/reward game modes as well as arcade-y modes with level playing fields and powerups/weapons lying around.

I guess I'm more Doom/Quake than CoD/BF, but they all exist and are all "solid" in their own ways.
Ok, listen - not trying to be confrontational. I guess I'm more disappointed than anything because I've been clamoring for a Battlefront game for years. I, for one, love the CoD style but I can certainly understand why others don't.
Old 10-12-15, 03:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone posted that the season pass for this game is going to be $50?
Old 10-12-15, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Old 10-12-15, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Yes, you. It does have new game modes including the 1v7 Hero Mode.
Old 10-12-15, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure there will be a GOTY version or a huge sale similar to all of the BF games.
Old 10-12-15, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I played the ever-loving shit out of Black Ops II, and towards the end I was usually near the top of the charts after every match. But I can't killstreak to save my life. I think the best I ever did was 7 in a row and that was once after months of playing almost every night.

I loved that within a few hours of playing Battlefront I had flown TIE fighters several times, along with AT-STs and once in the AT-AT. Along with the usual bombs and such. I'll have Black Ops III to play as well, so I'm fine with having both styles available.
Old 10-13-15, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Played for a little bit last night and didn't really care for it. Seemed like a dumbed down version of Battlefield 4. Too bad they passed on doing a campaign, that could have been pretty cool.
Old 10-13-15, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Played for a little bit last night and didn't really care for it. Seemed like a dumbed down version of Battlefield 4. Too bad they passed on doing a campaign, that could have been pretty cool.
Agreed though I do not want to beat a deadhorse as I have already stated my opinion on the matter.

I am let own because it has been marketed and hyped as a CoD\BF like version set in the Star Wars universe and instead of getting that, they seem to be targeting a more casual FPS sort of market vs. the normal FPS market where you have your favorite franchise(s) (Halo, BF, CoD, etc.). Regardless of my opinion and disappointment, it will be interesting to see how well the title does regardless as I am not sure there is a "casual" FPS market. We will see...
Old 10-13-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Finally figured out how to us the tow cable with the Snow Speeder, yeah, At-At take down will be my goal every game!!
Old 10-13-15, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Well...it seems the most ever participated in a EA Beta ever....

Star Wars Battlefront Beta Drew More Than 9 Million Players on PS4, Xbox One & PC

Ending earlier today, the Star Wars Battlefront beta saw more than nine million players log in and play the game across PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, making it “the single largest beta in the history of EA.”

Saying that “the beta has been one of the most talked about topics around the game over the last six months,” Senior Producer Sigurlina Ingvarsdottir talked about player feedback:

And like Han Solo at the end of A New Hope, we’re glad you showed up. Even more importantly than just showing up, you’ve been spending a lot of time playing, having a great time and leaving us some invaluable feedback, as we continue to tune and balance the game until launch on November 17, 2015 in North America, and November 19, 2015 in Europe.

On behalf of the team at DICE, and everyone at EA, thank you for playing. We hope you enjoyed what you played in the beta, which is just a small part of the overall experience

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...4-xbox-one-pc/

Now the million dollar question...just how many of those will still buy or say no thanks?
Old 10-13-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the biggest question is the one thebunk already asked: Is there a "casual" FPS market?

There's a really long discussion there.

But we will see.

This game wasn't in my radar. I downloaded the beta and had fun. I sucked the first day, but by the second one I was having a positive KD. I think there are enough modes to keep you entertained. I'm not getting the game though. Maybe when it hits $20.
Old 10-13-15, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think there is a casual market for a month or two... Then it'll dwindle to nothing... EXCEPT this is Star Wars so the hype machine alone will give this life for at least six months.
Old 10-13-15, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If this does well, and I've no reason to think it won't with the upcoming media blitz for the movie, then I think SW:BF2 will add a lot of what people think is missing here.
Old 10-13-15, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there is a casual market for a month or two... Then it'll dwindle to nothing... EXCEPT this is Star Wars so the hype machine alone will give this life for at least six months.
Agreed. Without a lot of the things that a top tier, current day FPS brings to the table, how long will this keep casual players interest? I actually would not be surprised if the game does great in terms of initial sales and throughout the holiday season regardless of what reviews will say. If you watched any initial impressions review videos, you will see sites like Gamespot, Polygon and others are all a bit divided. Some call the simplicity "refreshing" while others view this as a negative.

What I can see happening is that sales drop off in Q1 and the sales of the four expansion packs graphically will look like a water slide. If there is nothing to reward players, are people going to pony up cash for the expansions? Time will tell I guess.

If this does well, and I've no reason to think it won't with the upcoming media blitz for the movie, then I think SW:BF2 will add a lot of what people think is missing here.
But you see it will not because they are two very different styles of FPS. It is like saying if this sells well, they will turn a game like Wii Mario Kart into the most recent release of Gran Torismo. I am not belittling the game, it is just they are two different styles of game with different audiences in the same high level genre grouping. In fact if this does well, they will prove their point in that there is a market for casual FPS gamers. Why would they then go and ignore a new captive market?
Old 10-13-15, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This game is very pretty but with Halo 5, Tomb Raider, and Fallout 4 coming, this one is way, way down on my list of must haves. Especially at full price for multiplayer only.
Old 10-14-15, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it will do great and I think BF2 will give us a SP campaign and improve some things... but if this wasn't Star Wars, I don't think it'd have half the sales it actually will have.

I find myself missing the beta... my son really misses it . But when i actually played, I found myself so frustrated with things like ridiculous spawning or getting shot from across a map. I think if EA can fix those minor issues, I'll be on board with this game much more than I initially thought. I also hope that all game modes can be played across all maps (although I doubt it). To only play capture the flag or Hero Mode on the same map over and over would be painful.
Old 10-14-15, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I think it will do great and I think BF2 will give us a SP campaign and improve some things... but if this wasn't Star Wars, I don't think it'd have half the sales it actually will have.
I find myself missing the beta... my son really misses it . But when i actually played, I found myself so frustrated with things like ridiculous spawning or getting shot from across a map. I think if EA can fix those minor issues, I'll be on board with this game much more than I initially thought. I also hope that all game modes can be played across all maps (although I doubt it). To only play capture the flag or Hero Mode on the same map over and over would be painful.

I agree 100%...and I almost sense a parallel with Destiny....Destiny 1 was fun at first but many soon started finding issues, lack of something, commerce, leveling, upgrading and of course Bungie's meddling. Many including myself said no to The Taken King but by a lot feedback TTK seems to be a vast improvement. SWB might experience the same thing a month or two after release where all the glitter & dazzle starts to wear off and then the usual complaints will pop up. The exclusion of a campaign or story mode is no doubt a glaring issue with many. Just not certain throwing more MP Maps into the mix will satisfy everyone months later especially the first & second quarter of next year.
Old 10-14-15, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So no micro-transactions but you have to pay $110 for the full experience. LOL.
Old 10-19-15, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mByznNYCWTY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.