Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Life is Strange (5 eps on 360,XO,PS3,PS4,PC) - Time Lords and hipsters, apply within

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Life is Strange (5 eps on 360,XO,PS3,PS4,PC) - Time Lords and hipsters, apply within

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Life is Strange (5 eps on 360,XO,PS3,PS4,PC) - Time Lords and hipsters, apply wit

Downloaded this last night and played through the first three episodes already. Like others have said its definitely a great game and a step above Telltale games which are fun to an extent but kind of boring at times. I like the interactivity in this game and how your actions really impact the story. Really happy with my purchase so far and one of the best games I've played in a while.
Old 08-04-15, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Life is Strange (5 eps on 360,XO,PS3,PS4,PC) - Time Lords and hipsters, apply wit

This is kind of neat, a flow chart for all the possible outcomes for a scene in Episode 4. Spoilers.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/08/04/th...fe-is-strange/

Spoiler:
For the Frank scene... it took me awhile to pick the right choices so that we all end up peaceful. First time Chloe shot him and his dog. Multiple times after that he got stabbed in the leg. Finally we ended up friendly
Old 08-17-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I'm about 1/2 way through Episode 4, and holy shit.
Spoiler:
choosing whether or not to help Chloe die? Fuck. Just... fuck. I ended up with NO, and I'm not sure how that affects the rest of the game, to be honest. I have a feeling that, regardless, you still go back and let her father die instead, but damn. Still, it's awesome that Chloe's a big fan of Blade Runner.

Dark shit, I say.
I made that choice quickly and without hesitation. I just wanted to see if I'd get a reaction for acting weirdly fast on that request. Nope.
Old 08-17-15, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoVegan
I made that choice quickly and without hesitation. I just wanted to see if I'd get a reaction for acting weirdly fast on that request. Nope.
I had the same reaction when
Spoiler:
letting Warren beat the shit out of Nathan. Nathan, your tears of unfathomable sadness are delicious. I don't even care if he was an unwilling pawn of Jefferson. He's still a dangerous douche bag.
Old 08-24-15, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Game is currently on sale

Episode 1 : $2.50 (50% off)
Season Pass (Episodes 2-5) : $13.59 (20% off)
Complete Season (Episodes 1-5) : $15.99 (20% off)
Old 10-19-15, 10:57 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Last episode is out tonight/tomorrow!!
If you're playing on Xbox One, you can start playing at 5:01pm Pacific Time tonight. All other platforms at midnight (I think).

I've said it before, but this series is fantastic. Sad to see it end, but I can't wait!
Old 10-19-15, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Last episode is out tonight/tomorrow!!
If you're playing on Xbox One, you can start playing at 5:01pm Pacific Time tonight. All other platforms at midnight (I think).

I've said it before, but this series is fantastic. Sad to see it end, but I can't wait!
Bah! I have to avoid spoilers until tomorrow night. And yeah, sad to see it end but thrilled with what they've done. Unless they massively blow it in the finale, which I don't think they will, this will be my GOTY. I'm still really hopeful that we'll get a physical release so I have an excuse to play this one again.
Old 10-19-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've enjoyed the game thus far and looking forward to finishing it. I played the first three episodes in a day or so and really liked it but decided to save the fourth to play along with the final episode. Probably will finish them both off this week.
Old 10-19-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finale Trailer. This would be my GOTY so far too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/usMneZLivTM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-19-15, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder with this game being called a season if there's a chance at a sequel season sometime in the future maybe focusing on different characters or something or if the game will just be done after this.
Old 10-19-15, 01:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ The devs have done interviews where they've said they're interested in expanding on the concept or the universe of this game, but haven't said anything concrete. They did say that the reception to this game has been far beyond their expectations, but I imagine the decision lies with Square Enix in the end.

As it stands, if we get a second season, I would expect it to be a completely new cast of characters/events.
Old 10-19-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The nature of this game seems like it would lend to some trippy crossovers if they have a new cast
Old 10-19-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do think even if there is a sequel or a second season it'd probably be hard to top the first one. I think the reason the game has been so enjoyable is because its been a unique experience and I don't really see a sequel being as good.
Old 10-20-15, 09:17 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

There was some sort of glitch last night, so the episode wasn't available on Xbox One at the time they had announced. Looks like they fixed it this morning.

Hopefully I'll get to sit down and play through it tonight!

This does feel like my GOTY, too. It's nice to see that others are enjoying it. When I first started the game up, I NEVER thought I'd play more than just the demo.
Old 10-20-15, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Well fuck.....

*The above is my official review of episode 5

Last edited by starseed1981; 10-21-15 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-21-15, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just finished.

Spoiler:
I sacrificed Arcadia Bay for Chloe. I just went through all that to save my friend and just couldn't imagine going through all that to see her die [again].

As for the entire episode, I was going to be annoyed when it seemed like Max was going to get out of the Dark Room so easily and predictably. I was glad to see things turn out not so simple, even if the end was somewhat predictable as to what your choices were and how things turned out. Seeing Max succeed and have to take it all back felt cruel.

The nightmare sequence was pretty annoying to me, especially getting around all those flashlights and stuff. Hate stuff like that! Anyway, even though it ended somewhat predictably I enjoyed the execution and overall story. The game did such a great job with the characters that it continued to make those choices thoughtful and tough.

Still my GOTY.
Old 10-21-15, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Just finished.

Spoiler:
I sacrificed Arcadia Bay for Chloe. I just went through all that to save my friend and just couldn't imagine going through all that to see her die [again].

As for the entire episode, I was going to be annoyed when it seemed like Max was going to get out of the Dark Room so easily and predictably. I was glad to see things turn out not so simple, even if the end was somewhat predictable as to what your choices were and how things turned out. Seeing Max succeed and have to take it all back felt cruel.

The nightmare sequence was pretty annoying to me, especially getting around all those flashlights and stuff. Hate stuff like that! Anyway, even though it ended somewhat predictably I enjoyed the execution and overall story. The game did such a great job with the characters that it continued to make those choices thoughtful and tough.

Still my GOTY.
Yeah, still my GOTY as well. I made the same choice for the same reason.
Old 10-21-15, 10:04 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't played it yet and I'm so tempted to click on those spoiler tags but NO! I CAN'T!!! AHHHH!!!
Old 10-22-15, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hurry up Dan.

Also, some other random spoilers.

Spoiler:
I totally friend-zoned Warren and gave him a hug. Never been on his side so no kiss for him!
Old 10-22-15, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Hurry up Dan.

Also, some other random spoilers.

Spoiler:
I totally friend-zoned Warren and gave him a hug. Never been on his side so no kiss for him!
You bastard (in South Park voice)!
Old 10-22-15, 09:44 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Started (and finished) it last night.

Damn. What a game.

Spoiler:

First the Jefferson stuff. Holy shit, the guy is such a creep. Even if he's not raping the girls, the whole thing, and his attitude/motivation, is just so unsettling. I truly felt uncomfortable for Max in that situation. The fight between Jefferson and David was cool.

I KNEW Warren's drunken picture would help them out! Getting to Warren & Joyce in the diner was a pain, though. It took me forever to realize the sand bag was there to stop the explosion. Silly me. And yes, I had Max kiss Warren. They were meant for each other.

The nightmare stuff was pretty frustrating, but overall a good implementation of addressing Max's biggest fears. It reminded me of another game I completed this year, but won't name because it may not be obvious. It's a AAA game, though. In my timeline, Kate lived, and she throws a major guilt trip on Max. The flashlight maze was dumb, but again, brought out some of Max's inner fears.

As far as the finale goes, I totally called it, although I like how it wasn't QUITE as predictable as I expected. I thought going back to let Chloe die would be the only way out. I did not at all expect that you could just say, "Fuck it. Chloe's here. I'm keeping her." So that was a tough choice to make. I went with saving Arcadia Bay because, in the end, I felt that Chloe was always meant to die in that bathroom. Yes, you spend the entire game fighting to keep her alive in various scenarios, but letting an entire community die... damn. I couldn't do it.
That is, until I finished the game, then went back to that chapter and immediately chose the other option.
I think the writers really want you to let Chloe die. That ending felt more... complete. The "save Chloe" ending is much shorter, but feels less satisfying. Like, yes, you saved your best friend... but for what? Everyone else (including Warren!) is gone.

So, I'm not 100% in love with this last episode, but overall, this was a phenomenal experience for a damn video game. Quirks aside (texture pop-ins, terrible lip sync, janky controls), this game exceeded all possible expectations for me.

When I first downloaded the Episode 1 demo
Spoiler:
which ends immediately when Chloe gets shot

I expected a stupid hipster TellTale wannabe game.

But we got the best game TellTale never made.
Old 11-02-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

So I played through this game over the last few days and man, what an amazing experience. Max and Chloe are wonderfully developed characters and I really empathized with Max's difficult choices.

In the end, I ultimately decided to
Spoiler:
sacrifice Chloe. I figure that it how it was meant to be. The two best friends got to spend an incredible week together, and maybe that's what it was all about.

I thought the music was awesome, not just the soundtrack, but also the original score. The music cues were really well done.

While the game is not perfect (minor technical issues, some hokey dialog, and an annoying sequence in the last episode), this is still one of the best games I've ever experienced.

I finished the game yesterday, but I find myself still thinking about it today, which is unusual for any game. It seems to have really resonated with me. I feel a lot of sadness though, knowing this was the end. I wish I had Max's time rewind power. I wouldn't mind suffering through a few nosebleeds in order to play this game for the first time again.
Old 11-02-15, 05:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Glad more people are finding this game.

And yeah, I finished it a week and a half ago, but I'm still thinking about it a lot. A good number of people are complaining about the ending, but after some thought, I disagree. I think it's kind of excellent. It's not so much about what happens at the very end as it is about the journey you took to get there.
Spoiler:
If you sacrifice Chloe, it doesn't mean none of that stuff happened or didn't matter. It was those interactions with the people in the town through the five episodes that specifically influenced your experience to lead you to your decision in the end. If none of it ever happened, then your choice wouldn't be as informed as it is.

I can't remember if it's a quote from the movie, or just the tag line, but from Upstream Color:

"You can force your story's shape. but the color will always bloom upstream."

Seems very appropriate for this game.
Old 11-12-15, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welp, for those of us who want a physical copy (like myself), here you go...the official announcement:

http://eu.square-enix.com/us/blog/li...n-announcement

Coming in Limited (which looks very nice) and Standard editions at $39.99 and $29.99 respectively.

The Square Enix store has them (I would assume Amazon will soon too)...it's a little hard to navigate so I did the work for you:

Xbox One - Limited Edition

Xbox One - Standard Edition

PS4 - Limited Edition

PS4 - Standard Edition
Old 11-12-15, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I've already beat the game, so naturally I bought the limited edition. To be fair, this was probably my favorite game of 2015.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.