Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Ori and the Blind Forest (PC and Xbox One; 360 coming soon)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ori and the Blind Forest (PC and Xbox One; 360 coming soon)

Old 08-07-15, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Ori and the Blind Forest (PC and Xbox One; 360 coming soon)

I've seen no news at all about a 360 release. I wonder if they've just given up on that.
Old 03-01-16, 09:03 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Definitive Edition comes out March 11th!
For starters, an expanded theater mode – as described by Executive Producer Mark Coates – further shines the spotlight on the game’s gorgeous visual presentation. “Not only will you be able to view all of the cut-scenes, but now you will be able to see early concept material from the game, trailers, and some other really cool content in theater mode.”

While behind-the-scenes bonus material might be enough to draw fans back to the Spirit Tree, Coates and his team aren’t stopping there. A sizable new playable area, dubbed Black Root Burrows, will let fans dig deeper into the game’s rich fiction. “There is a great story sequence throughout Black Root Burrows where you’re discovering the past of Naru, the mother character,” Coates said. “You discover her roots, where she came from, and you learn a bit more about her as a character and why maybe she is compelled to do some of the things that she does later on in the game. It’s all interwoven with the already-existing story.”
Old 03-01-16, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

No word on price for existing owners yet it seems.
Old 03-01-16, 09:35 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure that info is coming. I'm looking forward to replaying this one. I'm also hoping the soundtrack finally gets a vinyl release (the composer hinted at it last year, but it never happened...)

One of the devs spoke up on NeoGAF (BTW, that place isn't as horrid as it used to be, eh? )

Guys, calm down, OF COURSE we are also releasing the Definitive Edition on STEAM as well

It'll be available on March 11th for Xbox One, Windows 10 and STEAM. And if you already bought the original version of Ori and the Blind Forest on any platform, you'll be able to buy this version for a small upgrade fee.

To clear up why there's a DE exactly a year after the original release, it's simple: We god tons of mails about making DLC. So we thought that might be a cool option, but Ori being a Metroidvania, it didn't feel right to just add more levels in a separate menu item. No, instead we thought it'd be great to enhance the world, add more abilities and story and add the new DLC content directly within the world you've already played through. Because of that, you can play through the game in new ways, since you'll gain new abilities and extras that you can then make use of in the rest of the game - We felt that that was a much better way of doing DLC than just making a separate pack with more stuff that wasn't connected to the original game in any way

I'm excited we're getting so close and that you guys can check out what we did - We just also put almost an hour of making of content into the game, so for people who're excited to learn more about our prototyping process, ideas we had, etc., there's just a lot of stuff in there

Also, since we constantly get asked about a retail release and merchandise (plushies, shirts, statues, etc.), we'll have news about that soon as well. Nothing's set in stone just yet, but we're trying to make it all work. We're super humbled by how you guys responded to Ori, so I hope with this release and the stuff we have planned we'll make you all happy!
I'm guessing $5 to upgrade.
Old 03-01-16, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Just played through this back in January so I'm in no rush to upgrade. However, blocking off areas that you can't 100% sucked ass. I wonder if that will be addressed in the new version. It killed all interest in achievement hunting since it would require playing the entire game again.
Old 03-01-16, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would very much like to get back into this game. Was enjoying it a great deal right up to the part where it auto advances the screen (very quickly) up the ginso tree. I think there is water or something chasing you from the bottom of the screen. It basically has to be done in one try, no checkpoints.

I prob tried this an hour a day for a week, before finally giving up and haven't returned since.

Any advice (besides sucking less)?
Old 03-01-16, 01:52 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I think I did it in 2 or 3 tries.

So yeah, just... suck less.

No, I don't know... but they have said that you can dynamically change the difficulty in the game, so you can bump it down to easy for that part, then back up again when you pass it. That part's just about timing and using the double-jump or whatever move it is where you shoot yourself in a specific direction.
Old 03-01-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The definitive edition will have an easy mode
Old 03-01-16, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Took me a couple dozen tries but I ended up skipping some of the items as I didn't know I wouldn't be able to return later. Easily the most frustrating part of the game.
Old 03-09-16, 11:56 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Upgrade price is $4.99.
Old 03-09-16, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
Re: Xbox One: no, wait, it's $349 again -- cheapskates, resume rejoicing

Originally Posted by Decker
I can't go for full-priced digital games anymore with sales being so frequent. I will pick up Ori eventually. Looks really cool (but apparently brutally hard which is kind of a turn off for me -- maybe that's something they'll address post-release).
Yay, Easy Mode! I'll pay $5 for that.
Old 03-09-16, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

It's definitely not brutally hard. I suck at hard games and there are a couple spots where I died a bunch but not overly so. 98% of the game is average difficulty. I died more trying to 100% Yoshi's Wooly World then I did playing through Ori.
Old 03-09-16, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Definitely in for $5 to upgrade.
Old 03-10-16, 08:25 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

is the DE up for preorder on the One site? all i'm seeing is the regular version and i know this comes out tomorrow...
Old 03-10-16, 08:30 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

No. It'll show up tomorrow, apparently.
Old 03-10-16, 08:37 AM

thanks Dan.
Old 03-10-16, 11:41 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

This may disappoint some folks, but apparently your game saves from the original release will NOT carry over into the Definitive Edition. You have to start over if you were stuck in one spot or were waiting to unlock an area.
Upside: you still get both the original and Definitive releases. You can also move your save file between Xbox One and Windows 10 (but the game isn't cross-buy, which is dumb)

Oh and apparently the score, which will have 29 tracks total, might be a free purchase as well. I love the score for this game already, so I'm looking forward to the additional material.
Old 03-10-16, 11:50 AM

Ugh, that's stupid. Oh well, I didn't make it that far anyways.
Old 03-10-16, 12:07 PM

Ugh, that's stupid. Oh well, I didn't make it that far anyways.
that tough?
Old 03-10-16, 12:25 PM

It's not super-tough. It's just one of those games that requires lots of carefully timed jumps and with checkpoints that aren't that close together so you can get stuck in an area for a long time if you don't do it perfectly.

I'm hoping some of the Newb Mode tweaks make it easier to advance.
Old 03-10-16, 12:38 PM

It's not super-tough. It's just one of those games that requires lots of carefully timed jumps and with checkpoints that aren't that close together so you can get stuck in an area for a long time if you don't do it perfectly.

I'm hoping some of the Newb Mode tweaks make it easier to advance.
yeah, that's what i'm looking forward too. i mean the soundtrack and the look of this game is sheer brilliance and utterly gorgeous! such fluidity. i want to tackle it when it's not so so frustrating...
Old 03-10-16, 07:42 PM

Definitive Edition is up for purchase now

https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-On...e=full&lc=1033

There isn't an "Upgrade" choice, but the new Definitive Edition game shows a drop from $19.99 to $4.99 when you sign in if you already own Ori.

Game description:

NEW IN THE DEFINITIVE EDITION
• Packed with new and additional content: New areas, new secrets, new abilities, more story sequences, multiple difficulty modes, full backtracking support and much more!
• Discover Naru’s past in two brand new environments.
• Master two powerful new abilities – Dash and Light Burst.
• Find new secret areas and explore Nibel faster by teleporting between Spirit Wells.

The forest of Nibel is dying. After a powerful storm sets a series of devastating events in motion, Ori must journey to find courage and confront a dark nemesis to save the forest of Nibel. “Ori and the Blind Forest” tells the tale of a young orphan destined for heroics, through a visually stunning Action-Platformer crafted by Moon Studios. Featuring hand-painted artwork, meticulously animated character performance, a fully orchestrated score and dozens of new features in the Definitive Edition, “Ori and the Blind Forest” explores a deeply emotional story about love and sacrifice, and the hope that exists in us all.
Doesn't say anything about the Soundtrack. Though it should be noted that the Soundtrack was available for purchase this morning and isn't now.
Old 03-10-16, 07:57 PM

Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition Makes a Great Game Even Better
by Xbox Wire Staff Posted on March 9, 2016 at 9:00 am

Moon Studios’ sidescrolling exploration-platformer Ori and the Blind Forest captured players’ hearts when it debuted on Xbox One last year. And starting March 11, it’s getting the star treatment with the release of Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition for Xbox One, which delivers a multitude of new areas, difficulty options, and gameplay upgrades that should appeal to both new and seasoned Ori players.

Current owners of Ori and the Blind Forest can upgrade to the Definitive Edition for $4.99, while all new players can pick up the full game for $19.99, which includes the original Ori. Fans can also purchase official merchandise at the new Ori and The Blind Forest shop.

As you can see from the trailer above, it’s a lot to unpack… so we sat down with Microsoft Studios’ Mark Coates, Executive Producer, to break down what fans will discover in the Definitive Edition – and what makes Ori and the Blind Forest such a special, one-of-a-kind journey.

Xbox Wire: What makes Ori such a special game?

Mark Coates: Well, the incredible response from the trade media, our game development peers, and (of course!) the fans are really what made the Definitive Edition possible, and we’re so grateful for that. Not every team gets the opportunity to revisit, perfect, and add to their game in a non-linear way, so we took this very seriously. So a lot of care and attention was taken to seamlessly integrate the new content into the world of Nibel, and create the new abilities in such a way that they perfectly blended and augmented Ori’s existing skill set.

Xbox Wire: What are the biggest and best additions to the Definitive Edition?

Mark Coates: So much to tell! We’ve added a ton of new content in all categories of the game, including new environments, new music, new abilities, new skills, new story elements, and new features.

True to the original game, the two new areas – Black Root Burrows and Lost Grove – come with a unique theme in both graphical presentation as well as play mechanics. For example, in Black Root Burrows, Moon Studios wanted to use light and darkness to challenge the player to navigate with limited visibility, and then use a light orb that the player carries to modify interactions with certain objects in the environment. Fans of the game fell in love with the characters and story in the original Ori, so in Black Root Burrows, you’ll discover new in-game cut-scenes that tell more of the background and history of the guardian figure Naru, providing context for why she is so motivated to help Ori.

In addition, the player can find two new core skills in the form of Dash and Light Burst. Dash allows Ori to dash forward short distances with a tap of the Right Shoulder button. Light Burst enables Ori to toss small projectiles with a tap of the Left Shoulder button, that – when detonated – deal damage to enemies. Or, the player can instead hold the Left Shoulder button down and adjust the trajectory of the projectile with great precision. Plus, both Light Burst and Dash can be upgraded through the abilities tree! Dash, for example, can be upgraded so that dashing through enemies causes them damage… and then upgraded again so that it can be performed while in the air!

Xbox Wire: Can you go into detail on some of the Definitive Edition’s new features?

Mark Coates: We wanted to enable the player to access the new areas early on, because once unlocked, they truly allow the player to navigate and experience all of the game in a fresh new way. Hopefully, players will agree that we’ve maintained the same quality and craftsmanship achieved with the original Ori, but we also aimed for the new content and changes to appeal to both existing owners of the game and new players.

For example, we added new difficulty settings to the game, to make it accessible to a wider range of players in terms of skill. Yes, there is now an Easy setting, in addition to Normal! Plus, we added a Hard and One-Life setting. Another cool new feature is the addition of Fast Travel; in the original game, the player would occasionally encounter Spirit Wells in fixed locations that replenished Ori’s energy and life, but now players can quickly transport themselves between found Spirit Wells in an instant. This allows players to revisit areas and collect missed items much easier. We expect that it will also create a whole new paradigm for the speedrunning community to exploit and set new records!

Another really cool feature is the expanded Theater. In addition to allowing collection and viewing of cinematic cut-scenes from the game, the player can now view an assortment of promotional game trailers, concept art, and behind-the-scenes clips of very early design and story treatments.

We wanted to make the Definitive Edition a celebration of sorts for our players and fans, and welcome them into the journey that we went through from the beginning to the end of the development process. All of these things make Ori very special.

Xbox Wire: Looking back, are you happy with how Ori‘s unique save game system worked out? Do you have any thoughts on it?

Mark Coates: Yes, absolutely. We’re really proud of the “save anywhere” system in Ori. We realized early in development of the game that we wanted Ori to be a challenging experience. We thought it important and central to the gameplay style that the player be challenged to master newly found abilities, and then employ them to progress, so as to achieve that overwhelming feeling of accomplishment. This can be frustrating when it takes multiple tries to succeed… but giving players control over where and when they saved and re-spawned really helped us get to the fun faster. It actually was the source of many design discussions and debates during development, as many other great games in the genre employ fixed save points, and balance the game around the player exploring out from these hubs. So, our solution was a bit of a risk of sorts – but in the end, it worked out really well.

Xbox Wire: What would you say separates an average platform exploration game from a truly great one?

Mark Coates: This is a bit subjective, but in my opinion the key ingredients are as follows. 1) An extreme attention to detail when it comes to tuning and designing the movement and control of the player character, so that nearly pixel-perfect precision can be obtained when navigating the environment. 2) Presenting new and interesting abilities to the player, in such a way that the level design is informed by the newly found abilities and requires the player to master them to progress. 3) I guess these might be separate things, but a beautiful, enthralling world combined with memorable characters and narrative to compel the player to explore it. Certainly, these are some of the key pillars that we established as goals during the development of the original Ori and the Definitive Edition.

Xbox Wire: What are the challenges in making a game that maps closely to this kind of exploration structure?

Mark Coates: This style of game can be quite challenging to make, which some people find surprising. There is an inherent complexity to the design of the overall world and level structure, due to the elements of re-traversal, and various changing states of character capabilities that the player goes through. Trying to build a cohesive, believable world where the temporarily blocked areas don’t feel contrived or punitive is certainly one of the challenges – and I would also put forward the challenge of creating, tuning, and balancing a wide assortment of interesting character abilities that combine and work seamlessly with one another. Both of these can take an inordinate amount of time to get just right.

We knew from the beginning that we didn’t just want to add a little bit of content and extend Ori in a linear way and call it good. Instead, we wanted to truly make this the definitive edition of the game.

We also wanted to provide an update about the release of the definitive edition on Steam and Windows 10. Yes, we did announce a release date of March 11th. But to make sure everyone who plays Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition gets a great experience regardless of platform, we’re taking a bit of extra time with the Windows Store and Steam versions. We will launch the Xbox One version on March 11, and will update you soon on when the other versions will launch. We can’t wait to get the final game in the hands of players and see their reaction!
Old 03-10-16, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There are 2-3 sections like that. The rest of the game is pretty much 'save anywhere.'
Old 03-10-16, 09:40 PM

Just bought the upgrade. Can't wait to dig in some time tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.