Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Ori and the Blind Forest (PC and Xbox One; 360 coming soon)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ori and the Blind Forest (PC and Xbox One; 360 coming soon)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-15, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Xbox One: no, wait, it's $349 again -- cheapskates, resume rejoicing

Originally Posted by Dan
You're talking about
Spoiler:
climbing the tree as it fills with water

right?

I totally agree. That part was awesome, and I love the music in that sequence so much. The soundtrack is on streaming services. I've been listening to it. A lot.

What's frustrating about the map, for me, is that some areas are completely blocked off once you complete them, so if you do miss any of the collectibles, you have to start from scratch and try to get everything.
Yeah, that's where I was. I don't know how far along I am now, although I just got the feather thing. I finally reached a few areas where I'm dying a lot more; a lot of it is due to my own impatience and my attacks seem to be weak against some enemies, so probably my own fault. Are there recommendations on what skills to upgrade first? I've been going pretty even so far across all 3 areas.

I've heard that there are areas you can't back track which sucks; I hope that's something they can address as I don't think these type of games should ever have areas that are completely blocked off.
Old 03-19-15, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts
Re: Ori and the Blind Forest (PC and Xbox One; 360 coming soon)

Originally Posted by Dan
I completed the game last night. The final sequence was a little frustrating, but easier than I expected it to be. Overall, this is easily one of my favourite games of 2015.
Dammit. I was going to wait for a sale on this, but maybe I won't. I was able to hold off buying the Sunset Overdrive Season Pass, so I do still have some money in my account. We'll see, I guess. One way or another I'll buy this game at some point in time.
Old 03-19-15, 12:46 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Are there recommendations on what skills to upgrade first? I've been going pretty even so far across all 3 areas.
I did the same. If you really feel like you're too weak, you can go to areas you've already been in and just keep killing enemies until you level up. It's a bit of grinding, but it doesn't take too long. You don't have to do it at all though, as there's also an achievement for never using any of those power-ups or whatever the game calls them. Getting the map stones really helps, since it'll reveal where the good stuff is. I was almost maxed out by the time I got to the final level. The main thing is finding the trees that give you new abilities (like the feather, bash, etc.). There's one particular type of enemy that looks kind of like a mini rhino made of rock. You have to bash next to those guys before you can kill them.

I've heard that there are areas you can't back track which sucks; I hope that's something they can address as I don't think these type of games should ever have areas that are completely blocked off.
There's two or three areas, but yeah, it's disappointing. I hope they can patch that in, either by letting you roam around after you complete the game OR just by unblocking those areas so you can revisit them before you pass the point of no return.

Originally Posted by Decker
Dammit. I was going to wait for a sale on this, but maybe I won't. I was able to hold off buying the Sunset Overdrive Season Pass, so I do still have some money in my account. We'll see, I guess. One way or another I'll buy this game at some point in time.
DO IT!!
Nah, if you're hesitant, wait for a sale. I think it's worth the full $20, but I've become a total fanboy for this game in the last couple days. I'm sure that'll wear off.
Old 03-19-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Also, there's a "no death" achievement. No way I'm getting that one.
Yeah, I haven't gone back to the game since finishing it to see what my final death total was, but it's...way more than zero. I know it's north of 500.
Old 03-20-15, 10:04 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Mine's around 350 or so. A lot of those were intentional after getting some damage that I didn't want.
I bet I could do it in 100 or less. MAYBE 50 if I was really cautious about it. There's already a bunch of folks who have hit the 0-death achievement, AND I think someone completed the game in under two hours. My total time was about 10.5
edit: according to them, someone hit < 55 minutes.
Old 03-20-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The no death achievement can be accomplished by using backup saves or whatever the game calls them. I'd imagine 99% of people who have it have used that method.
Old 03-20-15, 01:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

That works on the PC version, but I think it's impossible on the console... unless you're willing/able to quit the game and restart it (from your last save) every time you die... hmmm...
Old 03-20-15, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's the trick, yes. Lots of people are doing just that.
Old 03-21-15, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Forlorn Ruins made me it's bitch Took me forever to figure out the physics behind those floating blocks and being upside down. Ugh.

Also, I assume that was the section you can't back track to? Looks like I missed some things there
Old 03-21-15, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

You can't go back to any of the three "dungeons" once completed.
Old 03-21-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Poop. Glad i'm not a completionist in these games.
Old 03-22-15, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finished this morning. I think I was around 400 something deaths and just a bit under 9 hours although I tend to pause the game and go do other things for some stretches when I play. Had 1 ability left to level up and didn't get all the health and energy either I suck.

Very enjoyable game overall; I'm not sure if it the gameplay is significantly better then other Metroidvania style games out there, but the style and animation are easily one of the prettiest. And it's hard not to love Naru and Ori together.
Old 04-09-15, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/cel.../1100-6426518/

Indie game Ori and the Blind Forest, which received widespread praise upon its release last month for Xbox One and PC, turned a profit after just one week. Developer Thomas Mahler shared the news in a post on NeoGAF, also teasing that this success might mean more Ori in the future.

"Business-wise, Ori was already profitable a week after release and Microsoft is super happy, so we'll see about Ori's future," Mahler said.

We spoke with Moon Studios co-founder Gennadiy Korol today, who confirmed the game was profitable for Microsoft after one week of sales.

However, it took "a couple of weeks" of sales for Ori to become a profitable project for Moon Studios itself, he said. Korol didn't say, however, how many copies of the game have been sold to date.
Nice to hear
Old 05-05-15, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Postmortem.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/24253...ind_Forest.php
Old 05-23-15, 02:53 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This was one of my initial batch of games for the XO, and the prologue alone swept me away. Those bastards pulled an Up on me!

Anyway, I just met the Spirit Tree and I'm loving it so far.
Old 07-05-15, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally finished this today. Goddamn it was hard. I never threw a controller but wanted to many times. However, I loved the art style and it gave you a good since of satisfaction getting through some of the areas. Well worth playing. In my top 5 so far for game of the year.
Old 07-05-15, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

For anyone who has been waiting on a price drop this is pictured as one of the games that will be on sale during the Xbox Ultimate Summer Game sale which starts on the 7th. No pricing details yet.
Old 07-06-15, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

It's $14.99 (25% off). Not quite what I was hoping for, but at least a little discount. Thinking about picking it up...
Old 07-06-15, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's $14.99 (25% off). Not quite what I was hoping for, but at least a little discount. Thinking about picking it up...
Give it at least 24 hours for the complete details of the sale to come out, maybe it'll be cheaper considering they were promoting the sale as 40-60% off.
Old 07-06-15, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It was briefly $4.99 on PC for a bit this morning. Seems like they fixed it now though
Old 07-06-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cleaver
Give it at least 24 hours for the complete details of the sale to come out, maybe it'll be cheaper considering they were promoting the sale as 40-60% off.
"Up to 40-60% off." All the XB1 sale prices have been live since early this morning, so it won't be cheaper. At least not this week.
Old 07-06-15, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

I bit. I get my XBOX money at a discount so ended up being like $12. Played about 45 minutes so far and it's great.
Old 07-13-15, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished this. 8.5/10. A lot of great things going for it: Art, story, world/level design, gameplay mechanics. All very solid.

I only have a few knocks against it:

1. Slow start. I would have cut the non-Ori playable stuff at the beginning to speed things up.

2. The trial and error aspect of the "escape" sequences. A lot of the deaths during those parts were cheap and so you just have to grind your way through them. It kills the momentum and when I'm done I feel more relief that it's over than any sense of accomplishment.

3. Forlorn Ruins is non-returnable, so you can miss collectibles without warning.

4. Controls are a little off. They are serviceable once you get use to it, but are not razor sharp like Super Meat Boy.

Last edited by wmansir; 07-13-15 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-06-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Apparently an expansion is coming. No details yet about it though.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/stat...31239326085120
Old 08-06-15, 01:49 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome news. This is one of my favourite games this year, only slightly behind Life is Strange.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.