Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else sick of how things are being done this gen (console-wise)?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is anyone else sick of how things are being done this gen (console-wise)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Is anyone else sick of how things are being done this gen (console-wise)?

I don't see an issue with updating a controller, although having to do it wired sucks. Hard drive space is definitely a major concern, and it's sad they didn't go with 1 TB. At least Microsoft made the option to upgrade on their side much easier this time around.

Unfinished releases and a weak group of "AAA" releases so far is probably the most disappointing for me, but also not particularly surprising.
Old 03-10-15, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Slow installation is a pain. I've been installing my new games as I receive them so they'll be ready to play when I want (not all--just the ones that I anticipate playing soon), but I tried to play Wolfenstein the other day and found it needed installation. Maybe the network had been down when I first tried or something. And of course by the time it was installed, I'd lost my window to play before the kids got up and took over the console.

Updates and patches I don't mind too much. It's a lot easier than fixing games used to be.

Storage was an obvious issue considering the move to digital downloads. My Xbone is two months old and already 75% full.
Old 03-10-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Slow installation is a pain.
This is something Sony abso-fucking-lutely nailed this gen. Thirty to sixty seconds and you're up and running while it installs in the background.
Old 03-10-15, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Agreed. That's one place the ps4 is easily beating the One: installation times and process
Old 03-10-15, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Getting two free, usually very good, games from Sony and one free sometimes-good game from Microsoft every month is a very nice change this generation, as is the frequent sales of significant discounts on digital games on both systems (if disappointingly, not DLC). It's gotten to the point where I don't ever buy "XBLA" style games anymore unless they're at least moderately discounted. It seems they all go on sale quickly (and sometimes they go free before I even have a chance to buy them on sale).
Old 03-10-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Agreed. That's one place the ps4 is easily beating the One: installation times and process
It's the same on xbox one - you damn sony fanboys drive me nuts. Also for BOTH systems....no mulitplayer modes will be available until the game has fully installed.
Old 03-10-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
It's the same on xbox one - you damn sony fanboys drive me nuts. Also for BOTH systems....no mulitplayer modes will be available until the game has fully installed.
Naw, I own both, the PS4 has thus far done a much better job hiding installations. It's noticeable.

I don't do much multiplayer playing so I was unaware of that part. And the slow down is definitely noticeable while either system is installing in the background.

What's absurd is the PS4 is just now getting the Suspend feature.
Old 03-10-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the XB1 overall, but the installation process has been a shitshow from day one.
Old 03-10-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Installation times definitely blow. Load times in general are one of the things I wish would have been addressed this generation, especially now that all games are installed to drive instead of reading from disc. Disappointed SSDs were too expensive to be the norm on a console.
Old 03-10-15, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rival11
It's the same on xbox one
Originally Posted by davidh777
Slow installation is a pain.
Originally Posted by RichC2
Naw, I own both, the PS4 has thus far done a much better job hiding installations. It's noticeable.
Originally Posted by MoviePage
I love the XB1 overall, but the installation process has been a shitshow from day one.
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Installation times definitely blow.
One of these is not like the rest.

Also jumping to fanboy nonsense is absurd. All I said is Sony hit a home run on installs.

I didn't know about MP installation restrictions. I'm mostly a SP guy so I guess that's why it's never affected me/never noticed it.
Old 03-10-15, 02:58 PM

No question installation times are slower (considerably) on the X1, but it's not a big deal to me either way. I can play something else or browse on the iPad for 30 minutes if I need to. What bugs me is being forced to download a whopping big Day 1 patch after I've installed the game. THAT can kill a gaming session for the night.

I do like the cheaper HDDs now - that makes upgrading less painful (especially on the XO where you plug in a $60 1 GB HDD the size of a deck of cards and you're done. Things are MUCH more involved on the PS4 with re-downloading everything and retrieving game saves, but it's still easy enough for even someone as un-tech-savvy as me to pull off.
Old 03-10-15, 03:37 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Just put in my Sunset Overdrive disc to install (got it a while back, just now getting to it) since I went ahead and bought the season pass at a discount today, and it seemed faster than earlier games for the XO, and it included a 2GB patch, to install. It took about 10 minutes to get the message "Ready to start", and which isn't bad, but I will agree, the PS4 will give you that message anywhere between 3 to 5 minutes. What exactly I have full access to I have no idea for either system, as I don't get around to playing the game immediately. But in this day and age with the speed of these systems, it is strange that a game couldn't install within a few minutes with a disc. So yes, PS4 is at least x 2 faster to install discs than the XO, if not faster.
Old 03-10-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
One of these is not like the rest.

Also jumping to fanboy nonsense is absurd. All I said is Sony hit a home run on installs.

I didn't know about MP installation restrictions. I'm mostly a SP guy so I guess that's why it's never affected me/never noticed it.
Relax, it was a joke...but the truth is, xbox one games are playable during install.
Old 03-10-15, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Don't some games give you the option of what part of a game to download or install first?

I don't remember seeing it much, but do remember it being touted...
Old 03-10-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Couldn't help noticing that I'm downloading Dragon Age on Xbox right now and it says it's 15% installed and ready to play.
Old 03-10-15, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wasn't there a game that gave the ready to play message but it only let you sit at the splash screen? I remember some folks mentioning it here.
Old 03-10-15, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Most games.

"Ready to play" usually means "Here, look at the menu with a different progress bar for a while."
Old 03-10-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Destiny beta did that shit. That was annoying as hell.
Old 03-10-15, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Wasn't there a game that gave the ready to play message but it only let you sit at the splash screen? I remember some folks mentioning it here.
I think that was GTA V.
Old 03-10-15, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Aside form shitty X1 install times (which hopefully get fixed in an update soon) and the storage issues, by FAR the worst issues this generation is: People suddenly giving a shit about arbitrary game resolutions. I remember the day where people would play games for fun, not to count screenshot pixels to prove one console looked better then the other. I've played multiple Xbox and PS4 games at multiple resolutions...shockingly, they all look fine!

Another note, Xbox Live seems very lonely this generation. On 360, I would always have people online playing and wanting to chat/game. This time, I think I have played 3-4 times in the past 18 months with friends. Maybe it's an isolated instance, but overall gaming with friends seems to have gone very quiet this generation.

Overall though, I have no regrets about the Day One Xbox. It gets better every month, I couldn't live without the Kinect voice controls on another console, and the games/OS have been great.
Old 03-11-15, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by discostu1337
Aside form shitty X1 install times (which hopefully get fixed in an update soon) and the storage issues, by FAR the worst issues this generation is: People suddenly giving a shit about arbitrary game resolutions. I remember the day where people would play games for fun, not to count screenshot pixels to prove one console looked better then the other. I've played multiple Xbox and PS4 games at multiple resolutions...shockingly, they all look fine!
I agree. Maybe somebody can tell the difference between 720p, 920p and 1080p with a glance but I pretty much can't (and don't really care either way). Frame rate is a much bigger deal to me, and even that isn't a deal-breaker at 30FPS most of the time
I couldn't live without the Kinect voice controls on another console, and the games/OS have been great.
I don't know what this sentence exactly means. If it means that you're finding the Kinect voice commands invaluable, I (and almost everyone else) have found almost no use for Kinect. They tried to market it as essential for the device (yet idiotically made no extension cable available making it an unusable device in a lot of households who rely on HDMI cables and internal wiring for discretely mounted TVs, including mine). They seem to drop almost all support the minute they saw what we all suspected would happen -- that the price of the Kinect was making their system less attractive to consumers. I haven't seen anything the Kinect can do on my system that I can't do with a button push or two with the controller I had in my hand anyway.
Old 03-11-15, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It meant that, yes, we find the Kinect incredibly useful. I use it constantly and it works perfectly. For example, today I was cleaning the kitchen and simply said "Xbox, On" and then "Xbox, go to Pandora". I never had to leave the other room and had music within 15 seconds. It's great for Netflix viewing as well, we utilize it every night for that. Basically, the thing is great and as I said, I wouldn't want to use another console without exceptional voice control.
Old 03-11-15, 07:01 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

It meant that, yes, we find the Kinect incredibly useful. I use it constantly and it works perfectly. For example, today I was cleaning the kitchen and simply said "Xbox, On" and then "Xbox, go to Pandora". I never had to leave the other room and had music within 15 seconds. It's great for Netflix viewing as well, we utilize it every night for that. Basically, the thing is great and as I said, I wouldn't want to use another console without exceptional voice control.
It's very nice for opening apps quickly. Plus you can save the battery on the controller by using Kinect voice commands. I still think gestures are a joke.
Old 03-11-15, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking of Kinect, I saw the first stand alone on sale at Target yesterday for $150. Which means a couple months from now, I can pick it up for $45 when it hits 70% off
Old 03-11-15, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't know that this is anything new. I remember in the SNES/Genesis days people were getting all worked up over the number of colors each could display.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.