Rock Band 4 (XB1/PS4, 2015)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-15, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Rock Band 4 (XB1/PS4, 2015)

Originally Posted by flashburn
No ION? Well fuck them then. I'm out.

How do they not even have leaderboards? That's just downright asinine.

edit: Wait, I just glanced over that article now, it isn't that they aren't planning on doing a lot of that stuff, it's just that it isn't implemented yet. They still have several months, and it's not like this is an extremely complicated game in the first place. If they have a decent sized team working on this, I would expect most of those features to be available at launch (except Online Multiplayer).
It definitely seems like they're targeting the casuals, and not the whales, which I think is a stupid decision. The casuals aren't going to be the ones buying weekly DLC and keeping food on their tables for months. They're going to be the ones that break out Rock Band at parties when they're drunk and want to belt out some really horrible renditions of Bruno Mars songs.

I'm just really skeptical that anything other than the bare minimum features is going to make it in at launch.

I know that they built this new game from scratch. Unless they don't have the rights to their own old code, I think that was maybe a mistake. I'm sure there were a lot of things there that they could have transferred over to the new consoles with very little effort.
Old 06-19-15, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoVegan
I'm still kind of torn. I'm probably going to pass on preordering now. I don't want to order a guitar bundle and then find out I'm never going to be able to use my drums. I can't go back to the non-ION ones.
I'm not going back or stock drums either but not buying the game or a bundle isn't going to solve anything really.

Remember people have been hacking drum kits and brains since RB2 I believe so there is that to fall back on.

If you have not already please go to the offical HMX forums and make your voices heard there.

ION/E-Kits
http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/disc...and-rb4#latest

MPA2
http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/disc...want-it#latest
Old 06-19-15, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kelkee
I'm not going back or stock drums either but not buying the game or a bundle isn't going to solve anything really.

Remember people have been hacking drum kits and brains since RB2 I believe so there is that to fall back on.

If you have not already please go to the offical HMX forums and make your voices heard there.

ION/E-Kits
http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/disc...and-rb4#latest

MPA2
http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/disc...want-it#latest
Thanks for the links.

I think hacking the Ion kit's to work is going to be extremely difficult or impossible if the dongle doesn't support wired controllers though.
Old 06-19-15, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
It definitely seems like they're targeting the casuals, and not the whales, which I think is a stupid decision.
I agree but I'm rationalizing this by hoping that they are going for the most bang for their bucks right now. Hitting the casuals first will hopefully fill their coffers with cash to be able to feed the whales.

I know that they built this new game from scratch. Unless they don't have the rights to their own old code, I think that was maybe a mistake. I'm sure there were a lot of things there that they could have transferred over to the new consoles with very little effort.
Does anyone know if this is true about the old code? If it is then things would make more sense.
Old 06-19-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.rockbandaide.com/21107/e3...unity-manager/

Can people use their e-kits to drum?

“We’re very aware a bunch of hardcore players would like to. Unfortunately, game development as an indie studio is a numbers game, and we need to focus on first-party instruments to cast the widest net. We technically haven’t even finished converting every plastic instrument, but we will look at IONs and e-kits when we have time.”
Old 06-19-15, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems like all they care about is getting the game out before Guitar Hero. RB is out 10/6 and GH on 10/20. But releasing a half assed version of a franchise that everyone is generally fond of is a terrible idea. Especially since this is the first release on the new consoles and after taking a couple years off. If this bombs, they have no one to blame but themselves.

And I still can't find a $60 release, which is weird as hell because I sure as shit don't need any more plastic instruments taking up any more space in my basement. But at this point I guess it doesn't matter since I'm not picking it up at release anyway. Not in the state it's in now.
Old 06-19-15, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
And I still can't find a $60 release, which is weird as hell because I sure as shit don't need any more plastic instruments taking up any more space in my basement. But at this point I guess it doesn't matter since I'm not picking it up at release anyway. Not in the state it's in now.
I heard the only way to buy game-only is a digital release, which is yet another way to screw over their loyal fans. For casuals this might be okay, because a lot of them probably don't have their instruments anymore though.
Old 06-19-15, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

so much butt hurt so soon...

Go buy the awesome Guitar Hero Live game... that'll show 'em!
Old 06-19-15, 09:17 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I agree but I'm rationalizing this by hoping that they are going for the most bang for their bucks right now. Hitting the casuals first will hopefully fill their coffers with cash to be able to feed the whales.
Yeah, it's a solid strategy... it's just disappointing that the game is so... lacking... on release.
I'm a filthy casual when it comes to this game, but even I'm disappointed.
Old 06-19-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

For me, the vast majority of the old DLC working on this is the strongest selling point along with the old instruments working. That may be because between the PS3 and 360 I have nearly 1K tracks along with like 4 guitars and 2 drum sets.
Old 06-19-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone have one of these? http://cronusmax.com/

If it works like it claims to work then this would go in your console and your MPA would plug into it and then drumming ensues.
Old 06-19-15, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I heard the only way to buy game-only is a digital release, which is yet another way to screw over their loyal fans. For casuals this might be okay, because a lot of them probably don't have their instruments anymore though.
I'm curious why a digital release wouldn't be welcomed, unless you want the disk as a collectors item or something. I can kind of understand with most standalone games that you want the physical disk to own or whatever, but this is a game that is almost entirely dependent on DLC and digital content anyway, so it's not like the disk does you much good in case of an apocalypse and you aren't able to download your stuff again.

If anything, a digital-only release cuts off some casual fans that would buy the game off the shelf, which would be bad for them, but not for the consumer.
Old 06-19-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, "Rock Band as a Platform" shouldn't need a disc. I wouldn't be surprised if the bundles were just download codes.
Old 06-19-15, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yep, I fully support this going digital. Plus it's a party game, being able to load it up without swapping out whatever was in the drive is a plus.
Old 06-19-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anyone have one of these? http://cronusmax.com/

If it works like it claims to work then this would go in your console and your MPA would plug into it and then drumming ensues.
Only if RB4 supports drumming with a normal gamepad. Being that there won't be a wired drumset, it's not even like they could add support to emulate the standard drumset. Only if the dongle they are working on also supports legacy wired drumsets, then would it be possible. I can't imagine if they add USB support to the dongle they wouldn't also add support for the Ion kits at the same time.
Old 06-19-15, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242
Yeah, "Rock Band as a Platform" shouldn't need a disc. I wouldn't be surprised if the bundles were just download codes.
Aside from being able to get the game only version at a cheaper price, yeah, there is no reason, especially for the "loyal" "die-hard" fans.
Old 06-19-15, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
A Harmonix rep posted on NeoGAF that there will be a disc-only release.
Old 06-22-15, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
A Harmonix rep posted on NeoGAF that there will be a disc-only release.
WHAT? Disc-only. no-breakneck speed. no individual instruments?

The "We're an indie studio that blew through our millions on hackysacks and foosball tables, and we're too incompetent to implement features we already wrote" will only go so far.
Old 06-22-15, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by redbill
WHAT? Disc-only. no-breakneck speed. no individual instruments?

The "We're an indie studio that blew through our millions on hackysacks and foosball tables, and we're too incompetent to implement features we already wrote" will only go so far.
He didn't say that you won't be able to download it. He said there will be a disc-only release, as in you can buy the disc without having to buy an instrument bundle if you already have lots of plastic instruments lying around.
Old 06-22-15, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

that talks me off the ledge a bit, as does reading the actual Q&A from rockbandaide instead of the summary from here. The actual quotes make it seem like a lot of stuff (like breakneckspeed) just wasn't in the build they played at E3, but probably will be in the real game.
Old 06-22-15, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by redbill
that talks me off the ledge a bit, as does reading the actual Q&A from rockbandaide instead of the summary from here. The actual quotes make it seem like a lot of stuff (like breakneckspeed) just wasn't in the build they played at E3, but probably will be in the real game.
You mean that fan summaries can be alarmist and hyperbolic? Color me shocked!
Old 06-22-15, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242
You mean that fan summaries can be alarmist and hyperbolic? Color me shocked!
No.. not them.... not here...
Old 06-22-15, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Music
Aside from being able to get the game only version at a cheaper price, yeah, there is no reason, especially for the "loyal" "die-hard" fans.
Well, there is an "unofficial" reason why some would want a disc option. In order to play customs you need the disc, a particular version at that. The RB3 download and later pressings of the discs have an unremovable title update that prevents the customs from working. So there's one reason, assuming that the customs community can figure out how to create compatible songs for RB4. (And I'd think that niche group of people would be considered RB die-hards.)
Old 06-22-15, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If RB Customs somehow continues into the RB4 world, which is a far stretch given the new hardware and security, but they couldn't even get past the most recent 360 updates (as you point out) so there's no reason to think HMX would just lose that code outside of a massive hacky sack incident.
Old 06-24-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And now there is this hope for those with e-kits or IONS:

http://www.bytearts.com/products/midi_rocker_lx

We are working on bringing the MIDI Rocker LX back in time for the release of Rock Band 4. Keep on eye on this site for updates, follow us on Twitter, or drop a line at [email protected].

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.