If you own Halo: MCC and haven't booted it up yet, do it NOW

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-19-14, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Thank You to Our Fans from Bonnie Ross

Last month, I promised the Halo and Xbox community that addressing the matchmaking issues and other bugs impacting players’ experience with Halo: The Master Chief Collection was our #1 priority. We’ve been working around the clock deploying weekly content updates and numerous server-side adjustments that have shown good results and we’re encouraged by the feedback we’re hearing from you. Another big challenge was met when we added fan-favorite playlists, such as SWAT and Halo: CE, back to our matchmaking menu and we plan to add more soon. Next week, we’ll release a content update that will add all 10 episodes of the cooperative experience “Spartan Ops” for Halo 4, and will address other issues. I assure you that the team will continue to work on additional content updates to further improve the all-up gameplay experience.

This has been a humbling experience and highlighted how we as a studio can – and need – to do better for Xbox fans around the world. We are so grateful to our fans who have stood by our side and we appreciate all of your patience as we worked through these issues. As a token of our appreciation and to thank fans for the continued support and understanding, we will be offering the following items, for free, to anyone who has played Halo: The Master Chief Collection online since launch (11.11.14) through today (12.19.14).*
  • 1 Month of Xbox Live Gold
  • Exclusive In-Game Nameplate
  • Exclusive In-Game Avatar
* For specifics on eligibility and further details on the offer, visit the FAQ here.

Additionally, you’ve told us that you want more Halo 2: Anniversary multiplayer map content and Halo 3: ODST on Xbox One. As a future bonus, we’re going to make these happen and give them to you for free. We are just now starting work with our partners to bring both to Halo: The Master Chief Collection and will share more specific details on timing in the coming months. But for now, here’s what you can expect:
  • Halo 3: ODST Campaign – Development has just started on the campaign for Halo 3: ODST, which will be available within Halo: The Master Chief Collection, and upgraded to 1080p resolution, running at 60fps. It will be available for free to anyone who has played Halo: The Master Chief Collection since launch (11.11.14) through today (12.19.14).* Thanks to our friends at Bungie for creating the original “Halo 3: ODST” campaign.
  • “Relic” Halo 2: Anniversary Multiplayer Map – Available via a free content update to Halo: The Master Chief Collection, we will reimagine the fan-favorite map “Relic,” fully remastered and running at 1080p resolution and 60fps. We chose this map based on its suitability for Slayer and Objective modes and its ability to support teams of varying sizes. And you can trust that Certain Affinity will tune and tweak the map to make it even better than you remember.

The satisfaction and joy of our fans is absolutely critical to everyone at 343 Industries and we regret the issues and the frustration you have endured. We are truly sorry and thank you for your continued patience and support of the Halo franchise.

Sincerely,
Bonnie Ross
Head of 343 Industries
Edited to add specifics from the FAQ:
Content and 1 month of Xbox Live Gold will be provided to all players of the “Halo: The Master Chief Collection” game on any day from launch on November 11, 2014 through December 19, 2014 at 11:59 pm PST (all Gamertags that have logged activity in the game via Xbox Live during this period will be eligible). Xbox Live Gold will be delivered as early as mid-January 2015. Offer is non-transferable.
Old 12-19-14, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: If you own Halo: MCC and haven't booted it up yet, do it NOW

Wow that is awesome. Free ODST!
Old 12-19-14, 09:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

That means I need to install the game, download the 15GB update, and get into at least one match by... 1am.
Not sure if it's possible, but I'm going to try!
Old 12-19-14, 09:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Thanks MP! Playing now, crossing fingers that I get the goodies.
Old 12-19-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
That means I need to install the game, download the 15GB update, and get into at least one match by... 1am.
Not sure if it's possible, but I'm going to try!
I've got to do the same...we'll see
Old 12-19-14, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha, same here. Install time FUCKING SUCKS.
Old 12-19-14, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If I remember correctly, you should be able to boot up the game as soon as it says it's ready and then play a campaign level and it will count (I think Halo 4 in its entirety is the first thing that fully installs). You can do this before the patch finishes downloading. And the wording in the statement sounds like all you have to do is "log activity" in the game while connected to XBL.

By all means, play a multiplayer match too if you can get everything downloaded in time, but if not, load up the game at the very least.
Old 12-19-14, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I was reading that wrong then. I thought you had to play multiplayer since that's where all the problems were. It's 25% installed now, so off to play Halo 4!
Old 12-19-14, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts

That's pretty awesome. So that's what they meant by "We'll make it right". I approve.
Old 12-19-14, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts

It says "(all Gamertags that have logged activity in the game via Xbox Live during this period will be eligible).", so I assume all it takes is popping an Achievement.
Old 12-20-14, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Very cool, another Halo game I can play in this collection that I never did before. Although i'm surprised that there supposedly wasn't plans for this before; seems like ODST and Reach were bound to be DLC.
Old 12-20-14, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Damn - I've had this game in the shrinkwrap since day 1 but with all of the issues I just never got around to installing it. I was planning on doing it this week while I had some time off. Ah well.
Old 12-20-14, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Time's up, by the way.

The cynic in me says they're getting this essential step out of the way now so that the many people who will be opening up their new XB1s and/or copies of the game on Christmas morning won't get in on the freebies.
Old 12-20-14, 01:21 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
It says "(all Gamertags that have logged activity in the game via Xbox Live during this period will be eligible).", so I assume all it takes is popping an Achievement.
I hope you're right. I played a bit of Halo 1 last night and got a few achievements. Then, while waiting for the MP to finish downloading, I watched some Netflix and fell asleep. Woke up at 7am.
Old 02-17-15, 08:26 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I got my code for a free month of Xbox Live yesterday. Check your console messages if you haven't yet.
Old 02-17-15, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Well at least I'm finally getting something out of owning this disc
Old 02-17-15, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
I got my code for a free month of Xbox Live yesterday. Check your console messages if you haven't yet.
Yep, I finally got mine too.
Old 02-17-15, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me too.
Old 02-17-15, 01:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Well at least I'm finally getting something out of owning this disc
you don't like this compilation?
Old 02-17-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
you don't like this compilation?
Have you ever thought "Man it'd be great to go back and play this." and then you try to do it and realize you have absolutely no interest in it anymore? That's this compilation for me. Its put me to sleep twice so far, once during multiplayer, once in co-op. I've never been the franchise's biggest fan, but co-op was always well implemented and I liked the "living breathing world" that it presented. It just isn't a whole lot of fun anymore.
Old 02-17-15, 02:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i hear ya. very nicely put.