Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Resident Evil 5

Old 07-18-07, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Resident Evil 5

New Resident Evil 5 Details

Producer Jun Takeuchi shares some info in the latest Famitsu.

Being able to see new footage of Resident Evil 5 was one of our E3 highlights, even though the new trailer didn't really tell us too much about the game. Enter the latest issue of Famitsu, which is home to an interview in which producer Jun Takeuchi shared some of the details we were looking for.

Takeuchi only provided vague hints about the storyline. As many have guessed from the insignia that appears in the footage, main character Chris Redfield is a member of a group called BSAA. According to Takeuchi, something has happened in the desert area that serves as the game's setting, and BSAA has dispatched Chris to investigate.

Once on the scene, Chris encounters a new form of enemy. Takeuchi described the game's enemies as something of human form that has intelligence. However, the foes are neither zombie nor ganado (in reference to the creatures from RE4).

In addition to the new enemy, a certain girl will make an appearance in the game. She's someone whom fans of the series will recognize. In the full version of the E3 trailer (which will be distributed on Xbox Live and PSN later this month), she appears just briefly, but Takeuchi expects her to have a more significant role in the next trailer (no ETA given on that, unfortunately). In the game proper, she will have a big part both in the story and as part of the gameplay.

On the topic of gameplay systems, Takeuchi admitted to the magazine that the hardest part of development so far has been in mixing new elements with part 4's basic gameplay. For the most part, RE5 will be played from a perspective similar to that of part 4, with Chris appearing on the left side of the screen. However, Takeuchi also promised a big surprise addition that he believes is an obvious evolution for the gameplay.

According to Takeuchi, if, after seeing the E3 trailer, you feel RE5 looks like RE4 now, you'll be left with a completely different impression following the next trailer.

Previously, Takeuchi has spoken about the importance of light in the game. In this latest interview, he offered an example of how light will play a role. Say Chris enters a doorless building. The surroundings are bright and the interior is dark, so it takes Chris a few moments to adapt before he can see. The game will replicate this, along with the opposite effect of going into a bright area after being in the dark for an extended period. This is where you can expect to encounter some of the series' trademark fear, this time from the inability to aim or see.

Takeuchi wouldn't provide a solid release date for RE5, but there seemed to be some consensus of it appearing some time before 2010. It will be a long wait, but then again so was the wait for RE4, and that one turned out pretty good.

IGN.com
Old 07-18-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Before 2010? That's a hell of a game development cycle.
Old 07-18-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
So it's going to be harder to aim and shoot? Thats why I couldn't get anywhere with RE4!

Anyway, So will the girl be Claire or Ada?
Old 07-18-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know capcom will get Resident Evil 5 for Wii version.
Old 07-19-07, 06:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
Before 2010? That's a hell of a game development cycle.
RE4 was in development for 4 years. 3-4 year development cycles are not that uncommon.

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
So it's going to be harder to aim and shoot? Thats why I couldn't get anywhere with RE4!

Anyway, So will the girl be Claire or Ada?

I think they just mean that going into really bright areas will temporarily blind you until your eyes adjust, like what happens in real life. This makes it harder to aim while you are momentarily blinded.

I personally think the girl will be Sherry. Claire and Ada are a little too well known, so if it was either of them, they would have just flat out said it. Sherry is slightly more obscure so that they could hint that only real "fans" of the series will recognize her.
Old 07-19-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
RE4 was in development for 4 years. 3-4 year development cycles are not that uncommon.
I would presume they started development just before RE4 GC was released though.
Old 07-19-07, 07:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris_D
I would presume they started development just before RE4 GC was released though.
RE4 came out in 2005 on the Cube. RE5 will probably come out in 2009. That is a 4 year development cycle.
Old 07-19-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I don't know about anyone else here, but when I walk from dark into light I'm not blinded. I can still see. I just have to squint a little. Now eyes adjusting to darkness takes some time, but can't he just carry a flashlight, and maybe put on a pair of sunglasses?

By the way it says the trailer will be released on PSN, so I don't think this would be just a 360 exclusive would it?
Old 07-19-07, 08:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I don't know about anyone else here, but when I walk from dark into light I'm not blinded. I can still see. I just have to squint a little. Now eyes adjusting to darkness takes some time, but can't he just carry a flashlight, and maybe put on a pair of sunglasses?
Personally, I do have trouble seeing when I go from a really dark room into light. Every morning when I wake up and turn on the lights, my eyes can't see shit for a moment or two.

By the way it says the trailer will be released on PSN, so I don't think this would be just a 360 exclusive would it?
It was announced long ago that RE5 would be coming to both the 360 and the PS3.
Old 07-19-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Lost Planet(Capcom) has that temporary "blinded by the outside light" effect. When you come out of underground areas into the light and snow you can't see for a few moments.
Old 07-19-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I would honestly give up the next-gen graphics of RE5 on the 360 for a Wii version played like RE4 is played on the Wii.
Old 07-19-07, 01:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
I would honestly give up the next-gen graphics of RE5 on the 360 for a Wii version played like RE4 is played on the Wii.
I was going to post the same thing. Capcom has hinted that RE5 will get a Wii port. If that's still a possibility by the time this is released I'll probably wait. The controls of RE4 Wii edition were amazing.
Old 07-19-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
It will probably all come down to whether or not they meet their sales goal on RE4 on the Wii. I think their target was 600k, which I think is pretty damn ambitious for a third release.

Any site out there track game sales?
Old 07-19-07, 02:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
In the "Capcom predicts Sony will drop price" thread, there was this quote:
Abe, visiting Santa Monica for the E3 video game exposition, also said sales of its action horror title "Resident Evil 4" for the Wii will likely exceed its target of 420,000 units for the current business year to March 2008.
As for tracking game sales, try http://www.vgchartz.com/
Old 07-19-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Well there you go. Thanks Groucho.

Here's the vgchartz Resident Evil 4: Wii page.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 07-19-07 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-19-07, 02:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This thread title should be changed, as RE5 is coming out on at least the 360 and the PS3, and, as the discussion here shows, possibly the Wii as well.
Old 07-19-07, 04:26 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know what you mean. Wiiplaying this again is spoiling me.
Old 07-19-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by taffer
For original content? As far as I'm aware, Gears of War didn't take 4 years to make. I can see churning out sequels like Madden, where they just update the game. But, to me, anything longer than 2 years is long.
Old 07-19-07, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
For original content? As far as I'm aware, Gears of War didn't take 4 years to make.
And GoW's single-player game was about half as long (and IMO, not nearly as polished) as RE4's single-player.
Old 07-19-07, 06:19 PM
Banned

For original content? As far as I'm aware, Gears of War didn't take 4 years to make. I can see churning out sequels like Madden, where they just update the game. But, to me, anything longer than 2 years is long.
That wasn't exactly my point. I was just saying that it is not uncommon for a game to have a long development cycle. Sure, Gears of War only took a couple years to develop, but that certainly does not mean every game only takes a couple years to develop. There have been many, many games that have taken 3 or 4 years or even longer.
Old 07-19-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ehh...Resident Evil 5 is coming out for PS3 as well right?
Old 07-19-07, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Ehh...Resident Evil 5 is coming out for PS3 as well right?
Read the second part of post #9.

Short answer: yes it was confirmed last year that it is coming to 360 and PS3.
Old 07-19-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Old 07-19-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow, I didn't really think games were churned out that quick. It has always felt to me that a development time of 3-4 years was more the norm, but then again I've really only paid attention to PC games. Maybe those are typically longer.
Old 07-20-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk God

And GoW's single-player game was about half as long (and IMO, not nearly as polished) as RE4's single-player.
But it has online multi-player play, which adds to the longevity of the game. I'm just saying, unless you are working on Duke Nukem Forever, 4 years is quite the extensive game cycle, and isn't the norm.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.