Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Order: 1886 - PS4 (2/20/2015)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-15, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Order: 1886 - PS4 (2/20/2015)

Originally Posted by slop101
...not so much, maybe a rental, not so much due to the length, but what seems to be the rudimentary mechanics of the gameplay.
Then what are we even talking about???

And what am I wrong about again?
Old 02-18-15, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Resident Evil 4 - http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=7720 - 16 1/2 hours
Uncharted 1 - http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=10799 - 9 Hours
The Last of Us - http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=9997 - 15 Hours

Uncharted is really the only one that is comparable. Portal doesn't count since it was a small title and a throw in with the Orange Box, or cheap standalone.

It's funny because i'm onboard the "game length isn't that big of an issue" train and don't have a PS4 yet. I'm all for tight single player experiences; if it's not worth $45 - 60, then wait until it's under $30. Or buy it and sell it right after. Or rent it and finish it over a weekend. Seems like a lot of ways to get around paying a lot for a short game that still might be fun.
Old 02-18-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if the above is accurate ..... Uncharted story and gameplay held my attention more at 9 hours than TLOU ever did at 15 hours (yes, I'm not one of those odd people that found themselves crying durring the opening sequence of TLOU)

again, I'm not so concerned about the length of The Order ..... it is gamplay and story/characterization that will make or break this game for me
Old 02-18-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Today I learned that there's a website that is dedicated solely to tracking how long it takes to beat video games.

And I didn't think it would be possible to be embarrassed for the internet.
Old 02-18-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

here is a favorable review posted if you are interested in some impressions

The review through Google translation:
Spoiler:

It is amazing the headwind The Order had to indulge 1886 in the last few months about. First there was talk of graphical downgrade, then stood hose level, generic shooter gameplay and much too short playing time in the criticism. We klären in this test, what the PS4 -Exklusivtitel really can and are tailored to the strengths and weaknesses of the new game from Ready At Dawn.

The History

It is important to know that The Order 1886 is a game that is strongly supported by his story. Therefore, we will not go into details at this point, and also betrayed not know what twists there. Still, it's just the story of Sir Galahad and the Knights of the Round Table to give the title a real experience. Unfortunately, it is also true that the narration takes the time to take away. Shortly before half the total playing time the action will begin really to pack you and makes it almost impossible a aufzuhören playing before the credits over the focusing screen flicker. Nevertheless, the front part is really worth playing and it falls hard to escape the magic of the story. Here are other titles can certainly take a leaf and developers should The Order 1886 must see if you want to see how well tells a story.

The sound of The Order 1886

It's Ready At Dawn managed to deliver a soundtrack that is currently on the PS4 topped by anything. The orchestral force, the entgegenschlägt one is simply overwhelmingly. In addition, the music accompanies the dismal mood wonderful and exciting battles in driving the classic instruments adrenaline levels fühlbar in the height. The German synchronization is almost always perfectly done and the speaker breathe their roles extremely well to life. Incorrect stresses just now and if so, then it does not really bother. Who is on absolute perfection, the warmly recommend to switch to the English language. Nevertheless, the German edition definitely belongs to the upper league.

The graph

This has been discussed heiß in advance. Was there The Order 1886 now a graphical downgrade or not? The answer is a definite NO! Of course the title looks different than in his first presentation to E3 2013. However, the Veränderungen are positive. The developers have just rotated to the correct screws to perfect the presentation of the game. The Order 1886 simply the schönste game for the new console is currently be obtained. Such detail was so far no game world. It's always hard to believe that the scenes we get offered, actually flickering monitor in real time over. Whether character models, details in the game world or light, fire and smoke effects. There are currently no simple game that achieves this graphic level. Particularly noteworthy, we find it that with all the details no clipping errors or pop-ins have emerged, while we have fought us in Victorian London by dismal Verschwörungen.

The gameplay

Here there will be the first time a reason to nörgeln. It is true that one might expect from a playful 1886 The Order no revolution. Nevertheless, the control feels at times a bit notchy and could respond more directly. Außerdem the Waffenauswahlmenü is down for our taste too big and covers the entire central area of ​​the screen with a weapon switch. This is not bad if you move without resistance through the game world, but is more dafür unübersichtlicher if you are in the middle of a heated battle and then the gun must go under enemy fire, because the ammunition is depleted. Here, the developers hätten quietly detailed in the successful competitors operate dürfen, without this been a negative point wäre. But all this is *****ing at a high level. Because the overall title plays almost all flüssig and all actions are well out of hand.

More problematic, or more dependent on the individual preferences of the players dürften there already be the many and sometimes long cutscenes. Although these are interspersed with many QuickTime events. But unfortunately they are certainly not for everyone. Ultimately, however, the presentation of the overall game would suffer from the omission of the cut scenes - especially the story, which is why we have to deduct points here though, the loss for The Order 1886, but keeps in check.

The Time

Due to the youngest discussions we dedicate this point exception, an exclusive manufacturer of the Review. Plain language to play through we-needed exactly 10 hours and 48 minutes on the normal difficulty setting. Geübte Players can certainly deduct therefrom again one to 1.5 hours. In order for the campaign of The Order 1886 is quite good in the middle range for a single player title. The problem is that nothing off it will offer. Who listen closely, you can even earn the Platintrophäe on the first pass. Then there are at least in this form no reward for a renewed playthrough. This does not mean that it is done with it. Because after our Einschätzung it will happen once that this item is withdrawn from the player does not matter to start a new run. For to make the campaign just too much fun. For this purpose, it is too perfectly staged, dafür makes the story come from too much. In short, you will play 1886 The Order more than once. However, if absolute value on a multiplayer mode, or play primär to fill his virtual Trophäenregal that is not well-advised to make a purchase. All other expected a wonderful single-player experience.

Conclusion:

Here is probably the Headline Review this program. The Order 1886 the game did recently apparently hate everyone. A real reason dafür there is not definitive. If you can live with the fact that the game 10 hours late after approximately and next to, mind you magnificent, single player experience has nothing to offer that can safely access here. However, if absolute value on a multiplayer mode and also at all can not live Mita (interactive) cutscenes and quick time events, which should knock or buying again gründlich überlegen to an offer. We for our part to impress upon The Order 1886 necessarily fond of because it is the first exclusive title that justifies the purchase of a PS4 and shows which lies dormant power in the new consoles.

Review summary
Graphic - 96%
Sound - 92%
Gameplay - 81%
Scope - 70%
Story - 90%
89%Superb!
What gefällt us

Great Story
Outstanding graphics
Superior sound
Density atmosphere
Cinematic Presentation

Does not gefällt us

Part hakleige control
Relatively small extent

Summary: Ready At Dawn provides an outstanding start to the PS4. Anyone who can start with sharp graphics, a great story that is excellent presents and a sound that has no equal, something that should definitely strike. All those who how much content they get exactly work out for a euro invested, however, think again about buying after.

http://n4g.com/news/1674319/review-t...hate-gameplane
Old 02-18-15, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It's funny because i'm onboard the "game length isn't that big of an issue" train and don't have a PS4 yet. I'm all for tight single player experiences; if it's not worth $45 - 60, then wait until it's under $30. Or buy it and sell it right after. Or rent it and finish it over a weekend. Seems like a lot of ways to get around paying a lot for a short game that still might be fun.
At first I let it get to me but then realized I can trade it back in to Best Buy and only be out ~ $8. Like Musick said, at this point, I'm more concerned with how it plays and if it is fun moreso than the length or lack thereof.
Old 02-18-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by musick
here is a favorable review posted if you are interested in some impressions

The review through Google translation:
Man, that was hard to read through

Good to know that the graph wasn't downgraded and the screws were rotated perfectly.
Old 02-18-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
Today I learned that there's a website that is dedicated solely to tracking how long it takes to beat video games.

And I didn't think it would be possible to be embarrassed for the internet.
na, you should just be embarrassed for being wrong about how long it takes you to beat the above listed games.
Old 02-18-15, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
na, you should just be embarrassed for being wrong about how long it takes you to beat the above listed games.
Oh, so there is now a criteria for beating games in a certain amount of time without embarrassment?
Old 02-18-15, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There's far more embarrassing things out in the internet then a website about game length. Far more.
Old 02-18-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

There's far more embarrassing things out in the internet then a website about game length. Far more.
Can you compare inches to hours? If the game is fun and plays smoothly then I am alright with it.
Old 02-18-15, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Eh, I see games as experiences, if it's a good one then it's worth the money, if not then it's not - or substantially discounted. The "sweet spot" for a single player game for me is between 8 and 12 hours. Most that are substantially longer tend to either have a lot of filler, or a lot of "walk around" time.

Then again, two of my most played games are under 2 hours long
Old 02-18-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, that's where I'm at too. I was one of the few people that used to buy the COD games for the single player campaign, and hardly touched the multiplayer. After coming off Alien Isolation (a game that easily could have been 5 hrs or so shorter) I don't mind a 8 - 10 hr campaign. As long as I'm having fun during that time, it's a win for me.
Old 02-18-15, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Can you compare inches to hours? If the game is fun and plays smoothly then I am alright with it.
I don't get it.
Old 02-18-15, 01:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

This thread. WTF happened?

Heaven forbid people be interested in this game as a reason to buy a PS4, huh? The better the catalog of PS4 games, the more games i'll be excited to play when I buy one.
100% agreed. No one here is feigning concern over this game. This is easily one of my most anticipated of the year, but I'm trying (trying) to be a bit more conscious about my own budget. If the game turns out to be an absolute must-have, then I may cave sooner than later. Otherwise, as someone else suggested, I'm aiming for the inevitable Uncharted bundle, at which point I can pick this game up for half price, if I'm lucky. That'll give me two solid AAA games to play, which will be enough to make me happy about my purchase.

edit: and I know people here hate Ben Kuchera for some reason (Goober Gators, maybe?), but his opinion piece on short games is exactly how I feel. Bring 'em on!
Old 02-18-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazon also has the exclusive $150 Premium Edition back in stock. So they either got another batch in or those are from canceled preorders. Any brave souls here ordering that one?
Old 02-18-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Yep, that's where I'm at too. I was one of the few people that used to buy the COD games for the single player campaign, and hardly touched the multiplayer. After coming off Alien Isolation (a game that easily could have been 5 hrs or so shorter) I don't mind a 8 - 10 hr campaign. As long as I'm having fun during that time, it's a win for me.
Same, I actually liked most CoD campaigns, but recently discovered that FPS just isn't my thing anymore.
Old 02-18-15, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't get it.
it's a weiner joke
Old 02-18-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You should have seen the size of my Resident Evil 4 disk on Gamecube. That thing was tiny...like a third the size of a DVD. Definitely not worth launch price.
Old 02-18-15, 01:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Same, I actually liked most CoD campaigns, but recently discovered that FPS just isn't my thing anymore.
I bought Advanced Warfare, ploughed through the campaign, then traded it in within about 4 days. Didn't touch MP at all. The campaign on that one was good, but not good enough to keep it, IMO.
Old 02-18-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This for instance:

Originally Posted by Deftones
Old 02-18-15, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

it's a weiner joke
dsa_shea prefers his weiner's fun and smooth?
Old 02-18-15, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
edit: and I know people here hate Ben Kuchera for some reason (Goober Gators, maybe?)
He writes a lot of stuff that's halfway thought out (if that much), often with the seeming intention of riling people up. That piece was one where I agree, though.

For me, personally, the idea of sinking 30-40 (or 100+) hours into a game is borderline-unfathomable. I mean, I've done it (recently-ish, 100+ hours in Destiny and Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and north of 30 hours in Far Cry 4 and Ni No Kuni), but with only so much time to direct towards gaming, I gravitate towards tighter, more focused, single-player experiences. The idea of a really polished, really cinematic game that clocks in at only 6 hours isn't a negative to me. The emphasis on corridor shooting, excessive cut scenes, and QTE boss battles, on the other hand... I'm still up for The Order, but Sony's first party games have all plummeted in price pretty quickly, and I'll get it in the $20-$30 range instead. I was on the fence until just a few minutes ago, but I'll be on the way opposite end of the spectrum playing Kirby and the Rainbow Curse this weekend.
Old 02-18-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's a weiner joke
Old 02-18-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gooter
Originally Posted by Gooter
My gawd, we're turning into Neogaf!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.