Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-15-15, 05:38 PM   #101
dsa_shea
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Order: 1886 - PS4 (2/20/2015)

I'm watching a video and the game looks really good. I do think they could have made more of an exploration/puzzle solving effort and involved the map that they created more than what seems to be a trek through it. I don't like the being led by another NPC part of the game. Especially, when that other person doesn't seem to do much to help. I might be wrong.
Old 02-15-15, 05:43 PM   #102
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

My plan was to buy this and a PS4 on Friday. I still might go for it... but I'm feeling some hesitation now. It still looks like an amazing fun game, and I'll definitely play it when I get a chance, but I'm not sure I can justify the $546 CAD it would cost me to buy in. Not right now, anyway.

FUCK.

I really want to play it though. Maybe I can convince a co-worker to lend me his PS4 for a week, if I split the price of the game with him. Or... what's Best Buy's return policy? Hmmm...
Old 02-15-15, 06:00 PM   #103
dsa_shea
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
My plan was to buy this and a PS4 on Friday. I still might go for it... but I'm feeling some hesitation now. It still looks like an amazing fun game, and I'll definitely play it when I get a chance, but I'm not sure I can justify the $546 CAD it would cost me to buy in. Not right now, anyway.

FUCK.

I really want to play it though. Maybe I can convince a co-worker to lend me his PS4 for a week, if I split the price of the game with him. Or... what's Best Buy's return policy? Hmmm...
If it's a game that you are willing to go through that much of a hassle in order to play then just get the PS4. Even if you are ultimately disappointed in the game there will still be more just down the pipeline that will more than make up for it.
Old 02-15-15, 09:38 PM   #104
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by musick View Post
I didn't watch the videos posted but can gather the person's intent wasn't to "play" the game but to get from point A to Z as quickly as possible on the easiest level ... that is not the way I nor most would be playing this game

I haven't written this one off yet
I briefly viewed some of the videos, and it doesn't seem like he was rushing through anything at all. Given how linear the game looks and how many cut scenes, short of spending time to admire the graphics and the hunt for collectibles I can't imagine game play is significantly longer then what was mentioned. Makes me wonder if the 18 hour play time mentioned on the harder difficulty is a result of just more enemies which takes longer to kill, and more deaths.

That said, while it sounds a little short the game still looks really fun to me and doesn't seem much different from say the single player campaign of Gears of War, which also wasn't very long and what this game was being compared to often. Granted there's multiplayer in that series, but i'm one of the weirdos that played that series for the campaign

Quote:

FUCK.

Reviews should be out Wednesday or Thursday, so that should be enough time to see official reviews before making a decision. Worst case, wait for Uncharted?

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 02-15-15, 09:52 PM   #105
Deftones
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Yes, why wouldn't we expect something different. I was hoping that this would turn out like the original Bioshock but in this new setting.
um, because most of the videos and impressions that people have from playing it basically said what i said?

i'm not saying it won't be a good game, but people's expectations of this seem to be higher than what the game has deserved based what they've shown, imho.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 02-16-15, 08:00 AM   #106
K&AJones
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sure...there has been a lot of hype on this game but no where like Titanfall and Evolve, both of which were basically crowned Game of the Year before the release day. The game will be different along with new setting and atmosphere. But if you go back over the past year, so-called Game Critics have ripped about everything that has come out, even the BF & COD series which has been a lock for high scores has fallen. When it comes to "Action Games"...there really hasn't been much high scores except with Dragons Age and GTA.

"If there's nothing wrong with me, then there must be something wrong with the universe" -Dr. Crusher-Star Trek
Old 02-16-15, 08:14 AM   #107
LorenzoL
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

FUCK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Reviews should be out Wednesday or Thursday, so that should be enough time to see official reviews before making a decision. Worst case, wait for Uncharted?
If I were you, I'll wait for Uncharted too and wait for one of those bundles specials. Don't forget that once E3 is done, usually Amazon.ca, Future Shop and Best Buy Canada will have their pre-order special sale. Take advantage and pre-order games then. In some cases, you can save up to $20 per game. The only bad thing is the waiting.
Old 02-16-15, 10:40 AM   #108
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

This guy who took his time said it took around 9 hours

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=843

But in that thread someone else mentioned another YouTube video of someone collecting everything and it's not that much longer then the 5 hours mentioned previously.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1268

Kind of funny to see the reactions about this on other sites; there are some folks that seem to refuse to believe the game could be short and disappointing.

And of course you can GFY. -chess

Last edited by fumanstan; 02-16-15 at 11:01 AM..
Old 02-16-15, 12:08 PM   #109
dsa_shea
DVD Talk Legend

The game looks amazing but the length is real disappointing. They could have probably taken another route with the gameplay and the created world wouldn't be as wasted as it is appears to be. It doesn't quite need to be like the recent open world games like FC4 and Dying Light but it would have allowed the game to be more fleshed out than an on the rails shooter/action/QTE game. Hell, an investigative game with action mixed in would have been better and even a few QTE would have been forgiven.
Old 02-16-15, 12:15 PM   #110
Maxflier
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, these days I prefer games to be shorter anyways.
Switch:SW-7570-2348-9702

My Countdown Counting down to: The first Saturday in May.
141 days 9 hours 59 minutes
Old 02-16-15, 12:16 PM   #111
starseed1981
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
Eh, these days I prefer games to be shorter anyways.
Me too. I'm actually surprised by the amount of posters here that prefer longer games. But maybe that's just a value proposition thing.
Old 02-16-15, 12:38 PM   #112
Rob V
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A five hour game will take me over a month to complete... I'll take it! I can't get anywhere with FC4.
Old 02-16-15, 12:42 PM   #113
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Can't see myself spending top dollar for a five-hour game I could easily rent and finish. Like the CE, but suppose I could put that money towards the Arkham Knight CE instead.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 02-16-15, 12:48 PM   #114
slop101
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
Me too. I'm actually surprised by the amount of posters here that prefer longer games. But maybe that's just a value proposition thing.
Yeah, but 5 hours (even 8 hours) is just way too short for a story-based single-player game that doesn't seem to have much replay value.

And it depends on the game - Last of Us was around 15 hours, and I would've loved more as it was paced so well that it didn't wear out it's welcome. This game just seems like a gyp all around.
Old 02-16-15, 12:52 PM   #115
musick
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if the story/gameplay is good I have less issue with the length

if anything NG games such as inFAMOUS and Watch Dogs proved padding a game with repetitious missions/actions/long waypoints to make it appear longer does not make for a great gaming experience
Old 02-16-15, 01:16 PM   #116
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Yeah, but 5 hours (even 8 hours) is just way too short for a story-based single-player game that doesn't seem to have much replay value.
10-12 is the sweet spot for single player games with no replay value, IMO. Not long enough to wear out its welcome but long enough to leave you satisfied.

Also Borderlands will be out in a few weeks so I don't mind this being a short one.
Old 02-16-15, 01:57 PM   #117
dsa_shea
DVD Talk Legend

I guess all that is left is for some to hope that Bloodborne is a letdown. I'll likely still get this one and I will for sure be getting Bloodborne and Borderlands in March.
Old 02-16-15, 02:36 PM   #118
robin2099
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
10-12 is the sweet spot for single player games with no replay value, IMO. Not long enough to wear out its welcome but long enough to leave you satisfied.

Also Borderlands will be out in a few weeks so I don't mind this being a short one.
Depends. Alien Isolation was a 10-15 hour game and that was one of the biggest complaints. That the game went on too long and should have been shorter.

I think this whole idea of "single player games need to be x amount of hours or its a rip off" needs to be rethought. I'd rather have six great hours of gameplay than fifteen hours of mediocre gameplay.
Old 02-16-15, 02:43 PM   #119
astrochimp
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post

That's what she said!

PSN tag: spacemunky49
Old 02-16-15, 02:45 PM   #120
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
This guy who took his time said it took around 9 hours

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=843

But in that thread someone else mentioned another YouTube video of someone collecting everything and it's not that much longer then the 5 hours mentioned previously.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1268

Kind of funny to see the reactions about this on other sites; there are some folks that seem to refuse to believe the game could be short and disappointing.
It's a Sony exclusive so of course a lot of people on NeoGAF refuse to believe it isn't a masterpiece. They really want another title to add to their list wars. Besides that, there's the usual thing of people getting caught up in the hype and defending something they're already invested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I guess all that is left is for some to hope that Bloodborne is a letdown. I'll likely still get this one and I will for sure be getting Bloodborne and Borderlands in March.
Why on earth would anyone hope for that unless they're a console warrior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
I think this whole idea of "single player games need to be x amount of hours or its a rip off" needs to be rethought. I'd rather have six great hours of gameplay than fifteen hours of mediocre gameplay.
Why not fifteen hours of great gameplay? For me, if either of those factors fall short it's not a day-one $60 purchase.
Old 02-16-15, 02:54 PM   #121
lopper
DVD Talk Gold Edition

See, short games are fine as long as I feel I'm getting my money's worth. There's got to be some value there. I'm struggling to see $60 of value in a game with five or six hours of great gameplay coupled with twice as many hours of cut scenes.
Old 02-16-15, 03:16 PM   #122
Maxflier
DVD Talk Legend

People still pay $60 for games?
Switch:SW-7570-2348-9702

My Countdown Counting down to: The first Saturday in May.
141 days 9 hours 59 minutes
Old 02-16-15, 03:21 PM   #123
slop101
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like what little gameplay there is, amounts to just some shooting galleries mixed with scripted-events. Throw in some insta-death quick-time-events and a bunch of cinematics, and you have this game.
Old 02-16-15, 03:33 PM   #124
musick
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ thanks for posting the special recipe for a non open word action/adventure videogame
you forgot puzzle elements and platforming
Old 02-16-15, 03:39 PM   #125
Music
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very sloppy...