Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Apex Legends (From Respawn)

Old 02-03-19, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Apex Legends (From Respawn)

coming out tomorrow apparently

Free 2 Play battle royale game set in Titanfall world

Update: Respawn co-CEO Vince Zampella has confirmed an Apex Legends livestreamfor 8am PST tomorrow. "we’ll tell you everything about Apex Legends. Everything." We'll have more to share from our own hands-on time from an Apex Legends event on Monday.

Original story:

Titanfall studio Respawn will unveil Apex Legends this week: a battle royale game which, according to prolific rumours at the weekend, will be set in the Titanfall universe. Confirmation comes via Geoff Keighley, who tweeted about it earlier today.

That's about all that's confirmed, but if the weekend rumour mill is to be believed, Apex Legends is a free-to-play battle royale with up to 60 players. Interestingly, it won't feature Titan mechs, but it'll feature an array of playable characters with unique abilities, ala Overwatch and Rainbow Six Siege.

According to a "tipster" speaking to Kotaku, "it plays like Titanfall mixed with Overwatch and Blackout from Call of Duty: Black Ops 4". The biggest surprise among the rumours, is that apparently the game will be unveiled and released this week.

While it's hardly a surprisethat Respawn will release a new Titanfall-centric game this year, Kotaku reports that Apex Legends will act as something of a stopgap before Titanfall 3, which a source claims was internally delayed due to dated graphics. Whatever the case, a new Respawn game is definitely coming this week.
Old 02-03-19, 10:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Apex Legends (From Respawn)

Whew! I was beginning to worry that there weren’t enough Battle Royale games out there.
Old 02-03-19, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

No Titans = Not Interested
Old 02-04-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm surprised they didn't do an all Titan battle royale.
Old 02-04-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
If I remember, Titan Brawl from TF2 was one of the more popular game modes, when it was available. Completely clueless why they didn't go in that direction.
Old 02-04-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
They are probably saving something like that for Titanfall 3. No point in making that a freebie like this game if it could be a main selling point for your next game.
Old 02-04-19, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Available now! I'll give it a shot later tonight. It doesn't really remind me of Titanfall.

Last edited by mattysemo247; 02-04-19 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-04-19, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
They are probably saving something like that for Titanfall 3. No point in making that a freebie like this game if it could be a main selling point for your next game.

Nope......according to this article.....Respawn Entertainment: We're Not Making Titanfall 3 - Push Square

Respawn Entertainment: We're Not Making Titanfall 3

Apex Legends is studio's FPS focus

Once again it seems the virus...Battle Royal...has taken over another game......leaving no hope for a 3rd installment.

Old 02-04-19, 04:10 PM

From a business perspective I can't really blame them...if this takes off, the micro transactions along will bring in more money than a conventional AAA release.
Old 02-04-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched the trailer...it looked like a cross of Battleborn, Overwatch and any other generic Battle Royal game....it's getting crowded in that area....Fortnite, Overwatch, H1Z1, Players Underground, new COD....whatever but yea, I can see it but it's going to reach a tipping point of the market being flooded. I have no desire to play it...heck I'll go back to playing that Horde Mode Frontier Defense...that was a blast to play. Providing they haven't turned that off to force everyone into Apex....

Just saw this interview with Executive Producer Drew McCoy on Gameinformer....well...I'll let it speak for itself....

Not to be throwing EA under the bus, but this wasn’t the game they were expecting. I had to go to executives and show it to them and explain it and…not convince but more “Hey, trust us! This is the thing you want out of us.” As a corporation, they can only quantify based on past data and they’ve never done anything like this before. There’s a giant rainbow question mark over revenue projections for this game. They’re like “We don’t know! We can’t predict.” This is a game we had to say “This is what we want to do. Help us get there.” They had no hand in development or anything about this game.

Last edited by K&AJones; 02-04-19 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-05-19, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Screw these guys.....yes a lot of us were expecting Titanfall 3 to be announced, not another Fortnite clone.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-are-no-titans

"The world thinks we're making Titanfall 3 and we're not - this is what we're making."
Old 02-05-19, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I installed this and played a couple rounds today. The first round showed promise. My squad stuck together, we got some kills, I used my legend's abilities for some healing and reviving. I could definitely see myself getting into this. Looks good, plays good, has it's own take on things.

Then I played round two. Dropped in to the map, both my squad mates were killed almost immediately, and I was eliminated very shortly thereafter, while frantically picking up every piece of loot I could. And I hadn't had a chance to mute other players yet, so I got to hear one of my squad mates giving me shit over mic right after being killed.

I ESC'd right out of that game and promptly uninstalled it. At the end of the day it's just another battle royale, and I'd had enough of those fuckin things two years ago.
Old 02-05-19, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's interesting that they say Titanfall 3 isn't in development, but yet they posted jobs for it just months ago?

https://gamerant.com/titanfall-3-respawn-job-listing/

And there were also some posts going around yesterday saying something about the graphics not being what they needed to be for Titanfall 3. So that would make me think that it's in development, but not shipping this year, which would also explain the need for this game to fill that gap.
Old 02-05-19, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What I'm confused about is...the original Titanfall was MP using Titans that was solely PvP that had six vs six. But now, the very part of Titanfall, the Titan is left out in favor of flooding the field with up to 60 players in groups of (3). If you really wanted to stand apart from all the other Battle Royal Games out there, why ditch the one element that made the game work; essential having two characters to play, a Titan and Pilot? In a month to six months, I'd like to see where this game is and player numbers. I wonder if this will have the same fate as Lawbreakers.....shows promise but won't draw enough to maintain.
Old 02-05-19, 09:03 AM

So this is Fortnite plus Overwatch, pretty simple formula. It's VERY polished, I'll give it that, but nothing about it felt fresh or interesting. I may play a bit more to get a feel for the various Heroes...er "Legends", but so far I'm not wowed. Maybe if there was a solo Battle Royale mode I would be more interested, I'm not a huge fan of squads in this type of game.
Old 02-05-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess this is good for them...

Apex Legends Topped 1 Million Unique Players in Under 8 Hours

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net...lion/#/slide/1
Old 02-05-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I wonder if this will have the same fate as Lawbreakers.....shows promise but won't draw enough to maintain.
Lawbreakers was a $30 game and received so so reviews (also probably didn't help not releasing on XB1). This is free to play and seems to be well received so far.

If they continue to add some new maps or modes, I could see it really taking off.
Old 02-05-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

I've not found BR to be my cup of tea... but this looks good (watched some YouTube vids). I'm definitely going to give this a try.
Old 02-05-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by K&AJones
What I'm confused about is...the original Titanfall was MP using Titans that was solely PvP that had six vs six. But now, the very part of Titanfall, the Titan is left out in favor of flooding the field with up to 60 players in groups of (3). If you really wanted to stand apart from all the other Battle Royal Games out there, why ditch the one element that made the game work; essential having two characters to play, a Titan and Pilot? In a month to six months, I'd like to see where this game is and player numbers. I wonder if this will have the same fate as Lawbreakers.....shows promise but won't draw enough to maintain.
A map this large is pretty much ideal for a Titan Brawl and the concept is pretty much the the same.

It would've worked: Eliminate enemies, increase your Titan meter, call Titan, Destroy shit.

At this juncture, I'd be down if Respawn released some more paid-content for Titanfall2 (Maps, Titans, Weapons, etc). It will sell.
Old 02-05-19, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

I thought it was pretty obvious why they didn't go with Titans and instead went with people. Having 60 titans in a battle royale together would be infinitely harder to do if even possible and would take way more time and money.
Old 02-06-19, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No titans honestly makes sense, but they really missed a golden opportunity. Honestly, a BR with light mech/power armor that you could eject from before it explodes (and you could assume control of headshotted mechs) seems like such a no brainer I'm surprised nobody has done it yet.

That said, I love Apex Legends. I completely suck at it, but it's fun as hell, it looks good, there's a good amount of variety in equipment, and it works amazingly well without a mic. I've played probably 25 rounds and been on the winning team once. It's an exceedingly rare game where I even get a kill. I think I'm getting better, but fuck if I know. Would be nice to not always play with randos (they probably don't want to play with me either) but even still it's not too bad.
Old 02-06-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I won't throw it under the bus for now...but with Battle Royal games almost a dozen or so out already....not sure plus I already have Anthem and Division 2 coming along with waiting for Path of Exile this month.

But Monday 4th, we got this...."Titanfall 3 Is Not In Development" .....https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/02...in-development
"There are some people who think there are too many battle royale games or it's a fad, the world thinks we're making Titanfall 3 and we're not – this is what we're making," McCoy told the outlet.

Well today it's...."Another Titanfall Game Coming This Year, New Twist On Universe" .....https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/02...st-on-universe
In prepared remarks, EA CEO Andrew Wilson talked a little bit about the success of Apex Legends, which is the bright shining spot in an otherwise bummer year for the company despite only being a day old. "As the live service evolves," Wilson stated, "Respawn also plans to launch a premium game this year that is a new twist on the Titanfall universe. More to come on that in the months ahead."
Old 02-06-19, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

I'm digging Apex Legends... a lot! It's simple, fast and looks good.
Old 02-06-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

EA sure does like to position Respawn games against themselves. It'll be interesting if Anthem takes away a lot of people that gave this a shot when it comes out.
Old 02-06-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Anthem demo turned away a lot of people from Anthem

Seriously though, I'm still on board for that game but it's going to have a rocky start for sure, especially after all of those server issues.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.