DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4, Xbox One) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/623737-dark-souls-ii-scholar-first-sin-ps4-xbox-one.html)

Maxflier 11-25-14 12:02 AM

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4, Xbox One)

Fucking. A.
Also coming to old gens and PC as well FWIW.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/v0GxBZcVmHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MoviePage 11-25-14 02:45 AM

Re: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4, Xbox One)

HNNNG

Day 1. Again.

mewmartigan 11-25-14 06:36 AM

Glad to hear it! Although isn't Bloodborne coming in March, right before this? I wonder if that will hurt sales of this? Maybe it will be priced to move!

Noonan 11-25-14 07:19 AM

Glad to hear. I still haven't played the last gen version.

Breakfast with Girls 11-25-14 07:51 AM

This is a remake?

mewmartigan 11-25-14 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls (Post 12313593)
This is a remake?

I just assumed it was Dark Souls II with the DLC built in. So for old gen it will be a "deluxe edition" or something.

Maxflier 11-25-14 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by mewmartigan (Post 12313602)
I just assumed it was Dark Souls II with the DLC built in.

Exactly. With a next gen facelift.

RichC2 11-25-14 08:46 AM

Don't expect too much, the PC version wasn't exactly awe inspiring.

dom56 11-25-14 09:39 AM

On the PS4 and Xbox 1 you can have six people playing online. Might help fighting some hard bosses easier. Suppose to have some new NPC also on all console I believe.

MoviePage 11-25-14 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls (Post 12313593)
This is a remake?

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin will be launching in the Americas on April 7, 2015 on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, and PC/Steam (DirectX 9/DirectX11)!

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin will include the three previously released DLC packs - Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Old Iron King, and Crown of the ivory King - along with additional features.

All versions of the game will include the following features (Existing Dark Souls II owners will receive a patch to implement these elements):
  • Additional NPCs added for an enhanced story experience.
  • Parameter adjustments for improved game balance.
  • Augmented item descriptions.
  • Improved online matchmaking functionality.

Xbox One, PS4, and DirectX 11 versions of the game will include the following features (in addition to those listed above):
  • Additional upgrades to graphics, sound, performance.
  • Increase in maximum online players in single session (6 total).

GreenMonkey 11-25-14 12:18 PM

I found DaSII disappointing compared to the first game, but I'll still rebuy it for PS4. Disappointing or not it's still a lot better than most modern games. For example I think the reason I found Shadow of Mordor a snoozefest for the last half was simply because it was too fricking easy for me.

Time to go trade in my copy to Gamestop or Amazon before the trade value plummets, I saw Amazon's trade in dropped two bucks since the announcement last night already.

Funny though I just bought the second DLC a couple of weeks ago, but I got distracted playing Bayonetta 2 and (oldschool) Heroes of Might and Magic 3, lately, instead of playing the DLC.

M Polo 04-10-15 06:59 AM

Anyone else pick this up? I'm new to the "Souls" games and am enjoying the hell out of Bloodborne. I ended up picking this up for the X1. I fired it up for a few minutes, just to get it started and I immediately died via some damn demon piglets in Majula. I love you FROM Software!

RichC2 04-10-15 07:07 AM

Yeah, I'm curious how this compares to Bloodborne? I've seen a few people play Dark Souls II on PC but haven't given it a chance myself, though I did try DSI for an hour or so, didn't really get into it.

I'm absolutely loving Bloodborne though.

Maxflier 04-10-15 08:56 AM

I picked it up but haven't messed with it yet. I am hoping for a patch because I heard there is a bug or something and weapons degrade way too fast.

dsa_shea 04-10-15 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 12447734)
I picked it up but haven't messed with it yet. I am hoping for a patch because I heard there is a bug or something and weapons degrade way too fast.

Yes, I have it and they degrade far too quickly. If one breaks before you can get to a bonfire then it is really expensive to repair.

MoviePage 04-10-15 02:13 PM

I picked it up and I'm enjoying the hell out of it, again. Dark Souls at 60fps is glorious.

The durability thing can be annoying sometimes, but From has said that it's intentional. A patch is unlikely. I get around it by carrying at least 2 good weapons that I can switch between. Also, repair powder.

RichC2 04-10-15 02:28 PM

Hah it's like they went back, saw how people were playing the game and decided "You're playing it wrong."

dom56 04-10-15 06:07 PM

I had a total of four summoners to take out the Pursuer boss and he was down in a few seconds, I just sat back and watch. :lol:

Lots of changes in this game for example.
Spoiler:
There a dragon on the top platform in Heide's Tower of Flame. I think I come back when I'm more powerful to take it out later.

dsa_shea 04-12-15 10:00 PM

I got pounded today by four of those ninja-steel turtles.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_AJUzIqcK-I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dom56 04-13-15 12:51 AM

I'm breezing quite fine right now. Just defeated the Old Iron King boss and tried to access to the dlc but don't have the key to unlock the door yet.

Maxflier 04-22-15 08:14 AM

Good news, they are fixing the weapon degradation bug.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/...-getting-fixed

MoviePage 04-22-15 02:54 PM

That's good to hear, but it doesn't help me much now. Already finished 3 playthroughs and 1000 GS. Glad it will make things a bit easier for others, though.

kegman 04-22-15 08:19 PM

Early in game weapons break in 10 minutes. No place to repair or buy new ones. Down to last weapon that I can't carry. Suggestions?

RichC2 04-23-15 07:52 AM

Wait for the patch?

kegman 04-23-15 11:18 AM

Is the patch for the xbox one version? I think I started off going the wrong way. I went through heides tower first. I would hate to completely run out of weapons

dsa_shea 04-23-15 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by kegman (Post 12460864)
Is the patch for the xbox one version? I think I started off going the wrong way. I went through heides tower first. I would hate to completely run out of weapons

Yikes! You need to run to the old lady in the tower of the Forest and get the Blacksmith key. You will then be able to get the blacksmith to repair your weapons. However, you will need 1,000 souls to get the key.

Maxflier 04-23-15 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by kegman (Post 12460864)
Is the patch for the xbox one version?

Yes, but I don't think the patch has actually been released yet.

RichC2 06-14-15 10:15 AM

I picked this up the other day (It's $41.99 right now) and I dunno how I feel about it yet.

Bloodborne didn't blow me away visually initially but it still always looked good, Dark Souls II sort of shows how big the jump from generation to generation is, it just looks so incredibly dated by comparison, even at 1080p @ 60 fps. But I'm just not digging the level structure in this one, it isn't bad, it just isn't nearly as compelling as I hoped it'd be.

maxfisher 03-02-16 10:01 AM

Finally started this up last week, mainly due to how much I love Bloodborne. Question for those who have been through it, are the NPC invaders just to fuck up people playing offline? For some reason I'm losing my online connection to the game within 5-10 minutes every time I play. I'm to the point where I keep encountering Armorer Dennis invading my game as an NPC and he absolutely slaughters me every time. I'm wondering if it's a punishment intended to break the game for those who opt out of online play. If it is, I'm going to hang this one up. I have no idea why I'm having such online connection issues, as I never had them with Bloodborne and am not seeing anything else to indicate a problem with my home's internet.

dom56 03-02-16 01:19 PM

NPC red invaders will alway appear wither you online or not. Not sure why you having connection issue could be server problem. Have not play the game in months since Bloodborne has me hooked.

Gooter 03-02-16 01:45 PM

My buddy played thru it twice on Xbox and PS and he never complained about invaders or connection issues. Sorry you're having trouble. :(

dsa_shea 03-02-16 02:05 PM

Armorer Dennis messed me up several times but after leveling up a bit, I was able to finally vanquish him. I moved along quite well after that. I still have not finished the game yet, though.

Jeremy517 03-03-16 10:48 AM

There is an NPC that you can summon for the Armorer Dennis fight.

From a wiki:

Spoiler:
The white phantom NPC Ruined Aflis can be summoned for help just before the Forest of the Fallen Giants encounter. His summon sign is located just to the right of the bottom of the stairs leading into the dark hallway with the skeletons. It is recommended, however, that you journey ahead and dispatch the three Old Ironclad Soldiers lying in ambush atop the building first, as these can make short work of Aflis before ever even encountering Dennis. With his help as a distraction, the fight should be a breeze even at low levels.

maxfisher 03-04-16 06:25 AM

Thanks for the input guys, but I'm done with this one. I much preferred Bloodborne, where it was very challenging, but I felt like I progressed and the combat felt fluid. This hide-behind-a-shield-because-if-you-dodge-you'll-get-nailed-and-use-all-your-stamina-so-you-can't-even-swing-your-sword crap isn't for me. Maybe I was playing it wrong, but I spent 15 hours with the game, which I think is more than enough to gauge whether I'd enjoy pushing through. Hopefully III takes some cues from Bloodborne in terms of combat.

Jeremy517 03-04-16 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher (Post 12742451)
This hide-behind-a-shield-because-if-you-dodge-you'll-get-nailed-and-use-all-your-stamina-so-you-can't-even-swing-your-sword crap isn't for me.

You need to roll. Many people play the game without a shield at all.

The Dude 03-05-16 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 (Post 12742784)
You need to roll. Many people play the game without a shield at all.

But if you're going to roll, you need to up your ADP. It's a stupid mechanic (and a terrible addition to the franchise), but a necessary component if you hope to get through the game on a first play through.

foxdvd 05-30-16 10:56 AM

So after not getting into this on ps3, I finally started the ps4 version and I am having a blast. Coming from Dark Soul 3 the combat feels dated, but the game is a lot of fun. I think I am about level 90 now, and I am surprised how much fun I am actually having.

RichC2 09-21-21 10:17 PM

Sorry for the bump, I've been playing through the franchise and am finishing up my last entry (this one) now.

While I'm mixed on the entry overall, the boss design is just fucking great. They had a lot of fun with it, despite the bosses generally leaning toward easy.

The design for Demon of Song actually made me laugh.