Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

X-Wing/Tie Fighter might come out tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-14, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
X-Wing/Tie Fighter might come out tomorrow

ABOUT TIME. Man, I can't tell you how many hours I wasted on both of these games. My older brother had them long before I did so whenever I'd visit him, it would just be hours and hours of X-Wing.

From Kotaku:

Jeez, it only took decades, but two of the finest space combat games - not to mention best Star Wars games - of all time are about to get a re-release.

Special downloadable versions of both X-Wing and Tie Fighter will soon be released on Good Old Games. They'll be $10 each.

For that price you're getting not just the special editions of the games (which had slightly higher resolutions and improved sound, as well all of both games' expansions), but more importantly they'll be editions of the games that will run on a modern PC without the need to tinker.

The Special Edition offered here, includes Star Wars™: TIE Fighter and Star Wars™: TIE Fighter - Defender of the Empire, both in the 1994 and 1998 versions!

The Special Edition offered here, includes Star Wars: X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM and both Tour of Duty expansions: Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing.

It's crazy that it's taken this long. These games were two of the giants of PC gaming in the 1990s, and from the mission design to the combat still hold up very well today. If you've never played either of them, but keep hearing people like me blabbing on about how fucking fantastic they were/are, this is going to be $10 well spent.

Note that the announcement of both games comes via a GoG forum notice, which spilled the beans a little early. Similar postings reveal other classic Lucasarts games will also be coming to GoG, such as Fate of Atlantis, KOTOR and Sam & Max (though of course they're exciting, since they've long been available on services like Steam).

Given the timing of the posting, it looks like both X-Wing and Tie Fighter will be available as early as tomorrow.
Old 10-27-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: X-Wing/Tie Fighter might come out tomorrow

Yeah, I posted this over in the PC Gaming thread. I wish they were doing an HD remake or graphical update, but this is a nice start. Hoping for more LucasArts games.
Old 10-27-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Pretty cool. Played the shit out of these games back in the day. Not sure I have the patience for a space sim anymore.
Old 10-27-14, 09:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

This can't possibly be true. If it was, it means I'm dead and in heaven. And I'm pretty sure there is no dvdtalk in heaven.
Old 10-27-14, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Pretty cool. Played the shit out of these games back in the day. Not sure I have the patience for a space sim anymore.
Same here Corvin. I had a Thrustmaster flight stick and the separate throttle controller too. It was badass!
Old 10-27-14, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed them in their day, but have no desire to relive them, or their 386-era graphics and sound.
Old 10-28-14, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I can remember playing the crap out of this on our Gateway 486DX
Old 10-28-14, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I posted this on the general PC games thread, but GOG has these, plus a few more LucasArts titles, available now:
http://www.gog.com/news/new_publishe...ctivelucasfilm
The day has finally come and the holy grail of classic gaming has arrived on GOG.com. Welcome, Lucasfilm games! You are among friends, here! We're proud to announce our team-up with ©Disney Interactive that allows for the DRM-free release of 20+ classic titles from the cult-classic developer. We know you waited long for this moment, so we want to reunite you with those golden oldies with as little delay as possible. Today, to start with a bang, we are releasing a selection of 6 acclaimed titles from Lucasfilm's most famous gaming franchises, so that the Lucasfilm/Disney catalog on GOG.com is made impressive from day one. Here are the great titles you can get right away:
  • Star Wars™: X-Wing Special Edition - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
  • Star Wars™: TIE Fighter Special Edition - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
  • Sam & Max Hit the Road (Windows + Mac + Linux!) - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
  • The Secret of Monkey Island™: Special Edition
  • Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis™ (Windows + Mac + Linux!)
  • Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic

Note that numerous Lucas titles, including 3 from the launch lineup (Star Wars®: X-Wing Special Edition, Star Wars®: TIE Fighter Special Edition, Sam & Max Hit the Road), are available digitally for the first time ever, ready to play with no fuss on modern operating systems. With more fantastic titles headed for our Lucasfilm/Disney catalog, you can expect to see Lucasfilm games popping up frequently on GOG.com in the coming months.
Old 10-28-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
I enjoyed them in their day, but have no desire to relive them, or their 386-era graphics and sound.
X-Wing and Tie Fighter were slightly redone in 1998 to use the updated "X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter" engine, which uses texture mapping instead of Gouraud shading.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa...ector_Editions

The GOG releases include both the updated version as a Windows executable, and the original version as a DOSBox game.
Old 10-30-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure I understand.
1) Wasn't they already on Steam?
2) WIll this be on CD-ROM box set?
3) Updated resolution as in widescren HD?
Old 10-30-14, 02:25 PM

Nope.
Digital only, only on GOG for now.
?
Old 10-30-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's basically just a re-release of the old games that will run on modern systems. Nothing else updated graphic wise.
Old 10-30-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I posted this on the general PC games thread, but GOG has these, plus a few more LucasArts titles, available now:
http://www.gog.com/news/new_publishe...ctivelucasfilm
Nice. Sam & Max was pretty fun. But, Day of the Tentacle was my favorite of those games from that era.
Old 10-30-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
Nope.
X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and Sam & Max Hit the Road are at the moment GOG-exclusive.

The remainder of the LucasArts library is currently on Steam (or has been in the past).

SOURCE: I purchased KOTOR on a Steam sale once for $2.49.
Old 01-20-15, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wave 2, with 3 more exclusives, has been released:

http://www.gog.com/news/lucasfilm_on..._ii_starts_now
Today, with great pride and joy, we're excited to announce Wave II of Lucasfilm games on GOG.com! Starting right now, six new Star Wars™ classics are available in our DRM-free Lucasfilm/Disney catalog. This includes three amazing titles available, for the first time in digital distribution, exclusively on GOG.com:
  • Star Wars™: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
  • Star Wars™: X-Wing Alliance™ - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
  • Star Wars™ Galactic Battlegrounds Saga - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
We're also celebrating the DRM-free release of these Star Wars™ games with a 72-hour 20% launch discount:
  • Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II
  • Star Wars™: Dark Forces
  • Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II: The Sith Lords™
Just in case you missed your chance last time, you can grab three more Lucasfilm classics for the same 20% discount, until Friday, January 30, at 1:59 PM GMT!
  • Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic™
  • Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis™
  • The Secret of Monkey Island™: Special Edition
The email I got also mentioned "6 more Star Wars games coming this Thursday and next week."
Old 01-20-15, 09:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Tomorrow can't come soon enough!
Old 04-28-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

More games out today on gog.com

Star Wars: Jedi Knight II : Jedi Outcast
Star Wars: Jedi Knight : Jedi Academy
Rebel Assault
Rebel Assault II
X-Wing upgraded to Collector's Edition (new to DDL, this is in addition to the SE/98 versions)
Tie Fighter upgraded to Collector's Edition (new to DDL this is in addition to the SE/98 versions)
Old 04-28-15, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Rebel Assault
Rebel Assault II
Note that these two are sold as a single title (Rebel Assault I & II), and it's a digital premiere: these games were previously not available to purchase as digital downloads.

I remember playing the first one when it came out. It touted the first new live-action Star Wars footage since the original trilogy (in a whopping 15 fps).
Old 04-28-15, 02:22 PM

It's great to finally get the definitive CD editions of Tie Fighter and X-Wing. I've been waiting for these before I dig my joystick out of storage and lose myself into ~1998 again.
Old 03-02-16, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone who hasn't bought these yet and wants them on Steam, the new Humble Bundle may appeal:
https://www.humblebundle.com/star-wars
Originally Posted by Jay G.
Star Wars Humble Bundle II:
Pay what you want ($1 min) for:
  • Star Wars Rebellion™
  • Star Wars™: X-Wing Alliance
  • Star Wars™: X-Wing vs TIE Fighter - Balance of Power Campaigns™
  • Star Wars™ Galactic Battlegrounds Saga™
  • 10% off Humble Monthly coupon

Pay more than the average to also unlock:
  • Star Wars™: X-Wing Special Edition
  • Star Wars™: TIE Fighter Special Edition
  • Star Wars™: Knights of the Old Republic™
  • Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II: The Sith Lords™
  • 75% off up to any 3 Star Wars titles in the Humble Store coupon (excludes titles in this bundle)
Pay $9.99 or more to also unlock!
  • Star Wars™ Empire At War: Gold Pack
  • LEGO® Star Wars™ - The Complete Saga
Pay $34.99 or more to also unlock!
  • Exclusive Star Wars™ T-shirt