Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Chrono Trigger?

Old 05-26-03, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrono Trigger?

Am I the only one that thinks that Chrono Trigger was the best game ever made? Even though it was a SNES game it was one of the longest games I've played and definately had the best plot. Oh how I miss it.
Old 05-26-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Overrated, massively. Lufia I and II were infinitely better RPGs.
Old 05-26-03, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by Superboy
Hah.

No.
Old 05-26-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I'm actually 1/2 way through a game of C.T. right now. I've finished the game many times, and have seen all but 1 of the endings.

Great game... in fact it's the only true reason behind me keeping my snes.
Old 05-26-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about the best game, but for me it's one of the best RPGs along with Lunar the Silver Star and Lunar Eternal Blue.
Old 05-26-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

played chrono cross first, which i really enjoyed... started playing chrono trigger and got lost. that is, i forgot what i was supposed to do and sort of gave up. i'll have to force myself to finish it... one of many many many rpgs i have to finish.
Old 05-27-03, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chrono Trigger was simply amazing.

Lufia II was simply ingenious, and definitely underrated.

But Secret of Mana....
Old 05-27-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Its definitely one of my favorites. CT and Super Mario RPG are my two favorite SNES RPGs.
Old 05-27-03, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by Superboy
Chrono was good, but I gotta go with Superboy and the Lufia games. I thought pt 1 was / is one of the greatest rpgs I've ever played. And now that i'm thinking about them, I wish I had them.
~MD~
Old 05-27-03, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chrono Trigger was an awesome game, and still is. Back when Squaresoft used to make video games. Probably tied with FF3 as the best games they've made. Chrono Cross is an insult.

But, as stated already, the Lufia games were better. Maybe not in presentation, but in depth of gameplay. I've seen the new Lufia game for the GBA, has anybody had a chance to try it out yet? If it's anything like the SNES games it's a purchase for me.
Old 05-27-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Forgot to mention, Chrono Trigger has the best soundtrack of any video game ever.
Old 05-27-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts
how about secret of evermore, now that was an interesting game
Old 05-27-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by pixyboi
Forgot to mention, Chrono Trigger has the best soundtrack of any video game ever.
I disagree....the game was cool, and original, yeah, but I have heard plenty of soundtracks that are better IMO then Chrono Trigger.
Old 05-27-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best game ever, no, not really. It is a good game and I enjoyed it alot, but not as memorable as Lunar or Panzer Dragoon Saga or even Phantasy Star 1, for me anyway.
Old 05-27-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nickdawgy
I disagree....the game was cool, and original, yeah, but I have heard plenty of soundtracks that are better IMO then Chrono Trigger.
Examples please?
Old 05-27-03, 11:29 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Trigger is easily my favorite game of all time. Sure other games are good, but something about this game sucked me in and still hasn't let go.
Old 05-27-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dragon Fly
Trigger is easily my favorite game of all time. Sure other games are good, but something about this game sucked me in and still hasn't let go.
Something about this game.. could it be Yuji Hori and Akira Toriyama? The same people that created the best RPG series EVER, Dragon Warrior? The same people that had NOTHING to do with Chrono Cross..?

Old 05-27-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i can't believe no one has mentioned FF7! the GREATEST... GAME... EVER... (also, the greatest soundtrack of all time...)
Old 05-27-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
True, FFVII was a great game. The ending ruined the game for me though.
Old 05-27-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright, I won't go into FF7's lack of gameplay merit as it's been argued to death (also why nobody mentioned it to this point, but I digress).. I will argue that the soundtrack to FF7 is awful. The music sounds like it's being piped through a midi synth on a cheap $15 no name soundcard, and FF8 is even WORSE. When I played through FF7 the first time it was the first thing I noticed was how weak the music was in comparison to the last FF games. Sure, overall the soundtrack may be better than a good percentage of games out there, but when you have a series and the series has the same composer you have to judge against the previous chapters. It may have something to do with them trying to cram 90 songs into what little space was probably left after filling the disc with worthless FMV sequences.

Good soundtrack, sure. I'll agree there. It's at least memorable in it's own merit. However, it suffers from trying being the follow-up to the masterpiece soundtrack of FF3.
Old 05-27-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Chrono Trigger was pretty good for its time, I remember trying to get all the different endings and being so surprised when I got to the developers room. Gotta love the CT theme music too. I liked the sequel, Chrono Cross better though, it had a much deeper story and excellent music (by the same guy who did CT), battle system, and filled in a lot of plot holes in the original CT. CC also had multiple endings with strange outcomes depending on when you beat it your second time through. They're both great games.

I'll put in another vote for Super Mario RPG as well. That was a collaboration effort between Square and Nintendo if I recalll. Earthbound was an awesome, unique RPG too!!
Old 05-27-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ANy discussion of Chrono Trigger for GBA?
Old 05-27-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by ryuryu2949
ANy discussion of Chrono Trigger for GBA?
I haven't heard any, but I do know that Earthbound is a go for the Japanese market. Hopefully they will decide to give it to us as well.
Old 05-27-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Earthbound was different, and there were a lot of good concepts that i felt were executed pretty well for an RPG. The story was pretty good too, lotsa tongue-in-cheek humor. I hate people who take the game too seriously and judge games by their graphics.

Chrono Trigger was OK, but it's not the greatest game in the world as everyone constantly peddles it to be. There's ZERO character development, the storyline bites, and the battles get boring and tedious. People are just so forgiving of it's faults and hold it so high just because it looks and sounds good. Hm, how typical of the world =P.
Old 05-27-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by pixyboi
Examples please?
well Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy X, Any Medal of Honor game, heck even F-Zero had catchier tunes. Remember, this is my opinion, so I am sure you want to laugh and say "Yeah right" or "are you serious" but hey, just my opinion. I expect yours to differ.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.