Reload this Page >

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Old 10-04-14, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Picked this up as Dell was offering a $25 GC on it (and I had 2 $25 GCs to order it with). Playing on my PS4, finally glad to get something to play on it. Destiny so far has been kinda...meh.

I've never gotten around to playing an Assassin's Creed game or one of the Batman games (spent the last year playing almost nothing but Dark Souls 1 & 2) but I'm enjoying it so far.

The nemesis thing is pretty awesome. There's nothing like getting your ass kicked by the same Uruk again and again (and he gets nastier every time).

I don't know how great of a game it would be without this, though. I can see the stealth/killing/etc getting kind of old without the same pissed off, crazed randomly-generated captains coming after you again and again. Makes me wonder what the PS3/360 reaction to the game is since I hear it doesn't have it.
Old 10-04-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,189 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
well fuck this game...I am surprised how much I am NOT having fun with it.
It's a hard ass game. It gets harder as go along, too. Your best tip is to not get killed by an Orc.
Old 10-04-14, 08:04 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It's a hard ass game. It gets harder as go along, too. Your best tip is to not get killed by an Orc.
I am not finding it hard at all....just massively annoying.
Old 10-04-14, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

The Nemesis system sounds like something that will be awesome if they use it for the next Elder Scrolls. I think Diablo 3 on PS4 was the first to use Nemesis concept.
Old 10-05-14, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83
I think Diablo 3 on PS4 was the first to use Nemesis concept.

D3: Spawn an over powered bad guy who killed your friend for loot.
This: Something else entirely.
Old 10-05-14, 09:37 AM
gamer for life

Maybe I am lucky but I have not had 9 captains attack me at once since my earlier problem. The most has been 3 at once, which makes getting runes easy.
Old 10-06-14, 08:33 AM
gamer for life

7 hours in, and just to add to my above post, my game must of glitched earlier, because at no point have I been chased by 9 or more captains all at once.

Positives-Combat is enjoyable. Upgrades really change the game, and there is a push to unlock more and more. The mixture of stealth/bow/sword really is well done.

Negatives-game feels small. Not any sort of variety to settings (this might change later) Level designs are lazy. Not enough difficulty.

Good game, but has flaws.
Old 10-06-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 395 Likes on 296 Posts

Insta fail stealth missions can kiss my ass.
Old 10-06-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 306 Posts

I"m really liking this game but the controls are wonky as all get-out. I repeatedly get "pinned" against a mountain or rock formation at the most inopportune times.
Old 10-06-14, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts

Polygon Writer Accidentally Kills Wife When Trying to Kiss Her

by Jack · October 4, 2014

Zach Gage has been arrested and is facing charges after police say he killed his wife in a brutal attack inspired by the game Shadow of Mordor. Gage insists that he was only trying to kiss her and that he simply executed the wrong move.

After playing the tutorial of Shadow of Mordor, Gage wrote an article on Polygon explaining how the game introduces the stealth killing mechanic through a kiss to the main character’s wife. This was extremely offensive to Gage who later said that this tutorial only added insult to injury when he accidentally killed his wife while trying to kiss her the same night.

“I loved my wife a lot and I did not mean to kill her,” stated Gage through a statement, “I believe the game Shadow of Mordor corrupted me through that disgusting tutorial I wrote about. The game designers clearly have no heart and do not understand the fact that human beings are playing their video games. If they wanted to make a good video game, maybe they should consider watching Schindler’s List before trying again.”

Police say that Gage was pretending to give his wife a goodnight kiss when he suddenly started stabbing her with a kitchen knife. Police chief Bill Testa argues that in order to prevent tragedies like this in the future, the public should actively ignore people like Zach Gage.

“We shouldn’t be giving attention to these psychopaths who write these manifestos,” said the police chief, “This man is clearly a danger to society, not only to the public, but for innocent readers who are having their brain cells killed from trying to decipher this garbage. The only reason he thought he could get away with this is because he thought he had an audience.”

“Everyone should be ashamed of themselves in this whole situation, not just this murderer,” reiterated Testa, “By propagating this article across the internet, we are sending a message to future lunatics that it’s okay to write things like this. It’s not. And shame on the website who decided to publish this tripe. The depressing part about this is that the only lesson that website will learn is that it’s okay to continue publishing articles like this. Again, it’s not.”

Testa was also confused at what all of this had to do with video games.

source
Old 10-06-14, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

If that article was supposed to be funny, it failed miserably.
Old 10-06-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 395 Likes on 296 Posts

Yeah that was in poor taste and unfunny.
Old 10-06-14, 05:18 PM

Yeah it kind of was - sorry. I do think his op-ed criticism was absurd though. To be offended by that tutorial is to be way too easily offended in my book
Old 10-06-14, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I've only got the 360 still. I am picking up Borderlands next week and thought I would have that to hold me over till this came out. The reviews have been good but from what I'm reading here makes me a little hesitant to put down the money to play it after I'm done with Borderlands. I don't mind the AC comparisons since I loved them all except AC III.
However, comments like "hard as hell" and especially "instant fail stealth missions" really turn me off.
Old 10-07-14, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 306 Posts

^^ I'm liking it plenty and with my limited time for gaming, it's getting my attention.
Old 10-07-14, 09:01 AM

Honestly Barth, without the Nemesis system, I think you would be missing out on the best part of the game. I think you would be better off waiting until you bought a next gen system and buying it after that.
Old 10-07-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Honestly Barth, without the Nemesis system, I think you would be missing out on the best part of the game. I think you would be better off waiting until you bought a next gen system and buying it after that.
This is correct. Plus the last-gen version of this is going to tank and will be $20 before you can turn around.
Old 10-07-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the game. I am about 60% in so far, and my next step is to brand the war chiefs. Some of the things are boring and monotonous, but then again, many games are when you trying to complete everything.
Old 10-07-14, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,189 Likes on 915 Posts

After a week I'm only 17% in. Shit is hard. I'm going to start from the beginning now that I'm more familiar with the controls.
Old 10-08-14, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm well over halfway done I think.

I still like it, but it's got some big issues...particularly how abusable the roll-over-the-top dodge move is (there's a youtube video of a twitch streamer who just does it over and over again and never gets hit), and how almost every captain seems to be hurtable/killable with the stun-flurry-move (my experience).

It seems to me it got very easy about halfway through and I stopped dying at all. If I get low on health I've been just rolling over enemies, running to the nearest herb and healing to 100%, and returning, and since even high-level captains seem to still be hurt by the flurry move and combat finishers, I don't have to exploit their weakness really.
Old 10-08-14, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finished it tonight. Really good game that I feel awkward recommending too highly because I also feel that it is egregiously overrated by game journalists. But if you even slightly enjoy Assassin's Creed games and/or LOTR, don't miss it.
Old 10-09-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The wife has been dropping not so subtle hints that she has bought this game and a PS4 for my birthday at the end of the month. Looking forward to it.
Old 10-09-14, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm still having fun with it. I'm not sure how far along in the story I am but its a good game.
Old 10-09-14, 09:26 AM
gamer for life

I am also about 50-60% done...Game has been fun, but you get so powerful the challenge is gone. I have 17 hours in it already though, so the game is meaty.
Old 10-09-14, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
The wife has been dropping not so subtle hints that she has bought this game and a PS4 for my birthday at the end of the month. Looking forward to it.
Hold on to her, she's a keeper!

I had to beg, borrow, and steal for mine, LOL. (the PS4, not the wife )

Last edited by Gooter; 10-09-14 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Edited for Edstein! ;)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.