Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

No Man's Sky (PS4, PC) (8/9/16)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-16, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: No Man's Sky (PS4, PC) (8/9/16)

Well I played an hours worth this morning and I am very very happy with it. In he first hour I had seen maybe 10 different types of creatures, repaired my ship, collected fuel and what not, scanned tonnes of stuff and generally had a good time exploring. Glad to see that working things out is not complex and I am enjoying it a lot. Gonna have a few more hours on it this afternoon, but no regrets so far and it's proving to be exactly what I wanted.
Old 08-10-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Well this is cool.....

http://www.psu.com/news/30811/No-Man...first-24-hours

No Man's Sky players find 10 million species in first 24 hours
Old 08-10-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I played maybe 4 hours or so yesterday and so far I'm very pleased. I feel like I spent waaay too much time on my starting planet, gathering, using, and regathering resources, and traveling to the endless number of green question marks on my screen.

At one point, I jumped in my ship and went to space just to see what it was like, only to turn right around and go back to my planet for another couple of hours. This actually led to my biggest "Oh wow" moment of the game -- when I turned around to go back to head back down to the surface, this huge planet was right behind me. In my mind I expected it to be further away, I guess. It was still really cool.

I eventually went up for good and headed towards a space station, sold some shit, and left for the nearest planet (actually a moon, I think). There I kind of hit the wall. Just like before, I found myself running from question mark to question mark, spending more time managing my inventory than I'd like, farming the same resources, and wondering what the hell I'm supposed to do next.

Think I'll ditch this moon and go to the next planet later today.
Old 08-10-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I think this can be a very good sandbox game once they add (or I find) more tools within the sandbox. The exploring is fun, but if I go to the next star system and the levels are the same it's going to be disappointing.

Moving within a planet or space station still seems wrong, but I am used to much faster traveling.

Can they get the Destiny jet ski technology?
Old 08-10-16, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

For planets with hostile alien creature; When they start attacking and you start defending does the stupid Space Police show up? Will they start defending me or do they consider the player a threat?
Old 08-10-16, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I hate the sentinel things.
Old 08-10-16, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lopper
I played maybe 4 hours or so yesterday and so far I'm very pleased. I feel like I spent waaay too much time on my starting planet, gathering, using, and regathering resources, and traveling to the endless number of green question marks on my screen.

At one point, I jumped in my ship and went to space just to see what it was like, only to turn right around and go back to my planet for another couple of hours. This actually led to my biggest "Oh wow" moment of the game -- when I turned around to go back to head back down to the surface, this huge planet was right behind me. In my mind I expected it to be further away, I guess. It was still really cool.

I eventually went up for good and headed towards a space station, sold some shit, and left for the nearest planet (actually a moon, I think). There I kind of hit the wall. Just like before, I found myself running from question mark to question mark, spending more time managing my inventory than I'd like, farming the same resources, and wondering what the hell I'm supposed to do next.

Think I'll ditch this moon and go to the next planet later today.
Lol. You did pretty much the same as me, except I went to another planet instead of a space station. I have played about 6 hours today and about 6 planets in and a space station. I am really impressed with this game and love the dynamics. The worlds are so far different enough to appear diverse. I am currently on an ice planet where my temperature is dropping all the time. It's a great dynamic and the process of inventory and having to constantly equip and recharge is not bothering me too much. I have already got an extra couple of inventory spots.

So far this game is living up to the hype for me, but j can see it's not for everyone. Some people will hate this game I am sure.
Old 08-10-16, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Well I was going to grab it today but out of four Best Buy stores there was like two copies and they were gone at the end of the day. It's possible that a lot were on the fence and waiting for some reviews
Old 08-10-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

This game needs an off-road vehicle for travelling!
Old 08-10-16, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Music
This game needs an off-road vehicle for travelling!
That's actually a great fucking idea that would add tremendously to the game!
Old 08-11-16, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just read the Jim Sterling review of the game and its pretty much what i expect to hear from a lot of people. I think a fundamental thing has been lost on a lot of gamers these days and Jim is certainly one of them, its being able to fill in blanks with your imagination. I can compare No Mans Sky to old games like Elite, Mercenary and Damocles. These games did not have amazing graphics, they did not have incredibly detailed story lines and characterizations of NPC's, they simply gave the player the chance to discover a world/universe where it went in hand with your imagination. That game was such an amazing feat of achievement when it can out 26 years ago. Released on the Commodore Amiga, on one 3.5 inch floppy disk that loaded once and then proceeded to not have any loading thereafter, the player got to fly and explore an entire solar system in 3D before first person games even really existed. The goal of the game was simple. A comet (Damocles) is headed towards the planet Eris and its your job to stop it. There were about a dozen different methods to stopping it (i still remember finding TNT scattered around the planets and a detonator and blowing it up before it hit), but other than that there was not much else to do. NPC's were almost non-existent (rectified a little in the follow up Mercenary III), as were vehicles, enemies, buildings....pretty much everything. But it was a tour de force. Most people loved the game and most reviews were between favorable to absolutely loving it. I mean check out this review from back in the day.

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/disp...e=zzap&check=1

In a game like this i do not need everything to be photo realistic. Would i like it that way? Sure. But i can easily live with it not being the way it is. It seems that a lot of gamers these days are lazy and don't want to have to use their brain and want everything shown to them as real as possible, and every character needs to have a full fleshed out background, life and existence. Now i can appreciate that many times this helps provide a fulfilling game play through as the world feels alive, but at the same time i like the ability to play a game where my own mind fills in the blanks.

Many people have been focusing also on the limitations the character has early on in this game. I have so far had no problem with it or the inventory. Would it be great to have more slots available from the start, of course, but this is one of the things that gives the player a sense of achievement when you manage to gain more. The same goes for getting a new ship, discovering new words, finding new creatures....etc. This game is about exploration and the ability to take it at your own pace. I can totally see why people may hate on the game, but i imagine that many of the gamers are not from my generation who have grown up living through every iteration of video game, computer, console, whatever.
Old 08-11-16, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

There is not a copy of this to be found at any Best Buy or Walmart in Tulsa. I did order a copy for pickup in a few days when more copies are received.
Old 08-11-16, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Man this game need some kind of map so you know where to go to.
Old 08-11-16, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
There is not a copy of this to be found at any Best Buy or Walmart in Tulsa. I did order a copy for pickup in a few days when more copies are received.
Yeah, it's crazy how it's been selling out at nearly all brick&mortar stores. Can't think of a game that sold this well and/or was this under-ordered.
Old 08-11-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Are you guys trying to hunt down physical copies because you plan/want to be able to trade it in or just because you're a fan of owning the discs?
Old 08-11-16, 09:48 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Possible game-breaking bug if you redeem the pre-order vehicle:

If you switch to it before you go through the Hyperdrive and Warp Core tutorials, the game will skip those tutorials. This is leaving people stranded because they switch to another ship and don't have the recipe to build it a new hyperdrive!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/...trands-players

If you've already redeemed the vehicle, don't switch to another until you have found the Hyperdrive and Warp Core recipes. For some players (including myself), the tutorial for these showed up after I did my first jump. Other players have found themselves completely stranded with their only recourse to start over.
Old 08-11-16, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I switched from the default ship to the pre-order one and don't remember going through those tutorials so I guess I am fucked.
Old 08-11-16, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just got my copy of the LE, and I think I'm gonna wait until the next update to play. But then I won't really have the time to play until next week anyways.
Old 08-11-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, it's crazy how it's been selling out at nearly all brick&mortar stores. Can't think of a game that sold this well and/or was this under-ordered.
When i went to pick up my copy from Bestbuy (pretty much the only place other than Walmart in PR you can now buy games at since Gamestop left the island) i noticed about 6 physical copies o the shelf. With the preorders i noticed maybe 30 copies of the game waiting to be picked up. This was late in the day as well. It does seem like its sold pretty damn well going by what people are saying.
Old 08-11-16, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Damn, I was in the process of the Warp Core tutorial when I switched ships this morning. Don't know if I'm fucked or not. Any way to find out? I had a Warp Drive on the old ship but not a Warp Core yet.
Old 08-11-16, 10:48 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Damn, I was in the process of the Warp Core tutorial when I switched ships this morning. Don't know if I'm fucked or not. Any way to find out?
You can go to your ships inventory and see if you can craft the warp core.

There's also a anti-matter tutorial after that that is helpful but not 100% necessary since you can buy it at Galactic Terminals.
Old 08-11-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Possible game-breaking bug if you redeem the pre-order vehicle:

If you switch to it before you go through the Hyperdrive and Warp Core tutorials, the game will skip those tutorials. This is leaving people stranded because they switch to another ship and don't have the recipe to build it a new hyperdrive!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/...trands-players

If you've already redeemed the vehicle, don't switch to another until you have found the Hyperdrive and Warp Core recipes. For some players (including myself), the tutorial for these showed up after I did my first jump. Other players have found themselves completely stranded with their only recourse to start over.
I switched to the pre-order ship and later purchased a new ship. I guess I'm completely fucked ? I'm still on my starter planet.
Old 08-11-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
You can go to your ships inventory and see if you can craft the warp core.

There's also a anti-matter tutorial after that that is helpful but not 100% necessary since you can buy it at Galactic Terminals.
Thanks. I'll check that out tonight. If not, I guess I have to start over.

Crappy that the Pre-Order gift, specifically designed to give you a head-start on star-hopping, ends up fucking your game over

Old 08-11-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Is there any way to view the components needed for a new bit of tech after the initial reveal if you don't have an inventory slot open? Right now I have to have a slot open so I can pretend that I'm going to build the new doohickey just to find out what I need to build said doohickey. Seems pretty bassackwards.
Old 08-11-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dom56
Man this game need some kind of map so you know where to go to.
This is really the only major failing of the game I have out of the box. Not even a predrawn map ahead of time when you land on a new planet, but at least offer the ability to chart your own map on each planet so you can get back to where you were if you wander too far... at least a marker system of checkpoint build or something.

Otherwise, I went in pessimistic, but I'm really enjoying the game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.