DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   WWE 2K15 - Cena on the cover - Sting pre-order bonus (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/621184-wwe-2k15-cena-cover-sting-pre-order-bonus.html)

stingermck 07-14-14 10:08 PM

WWE 2K15 - Cena on the cover - Sting pre-order bonus

NEW YORK - 2K today announced the long-awaited debut of Sting in "WWE 2K15," the forthcoming release in the flagship WWE video game franchise. Sting will be available for those who pre-order the game at any participating retailer for Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system and Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft, as well as the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 computer entertainment systems. "WWE 2K15" is currently scheduled for release on Oct. 28, 2014, in North America and Oct. 31, 2014, internationally.

One of the most popular and revered competitors in WCW history, Sting will be featured in "WWE 2K15" through two unique playable characters: the mysterious, ghost-like persona with trademark black-and-white face paint who was the face of WCW during the "Monday Night War" era, as well as his earlier look, sporting bright colors and a blond, flattop hairstyle.

"The only thing for sure about Sting is nothing's for sure, except my debut in 'WWE 2K15,'" said Sting. "I'm honored to have my legacy immortalized in a video game. It's showtime!"

Making his WCW debut in 1991, Sting generated worldwide recognition for his unique presence and in-ring prowess. Across more than a decade, he amassed eight WCW championships and competed against many notable rivals, including "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan, the New World Order (nWo), Vader, Rick Rude, The Four Horsemen and Ric Flair.

"We're eager to introduce fans to Sting in a compelling new way, while debuting the next generation of gaming in the 'WWE 2K' franchise," said Chris Snyder, Vice President of Marketing at 2K. "Pre-ordering 'WWE 2K15' is the ultimate way to embrace the history and individuality of Sting's impressive career."

Developed collaboratively by Yukes and Visual Concepts, a 2K studio, "WWE 2K15" is not yet rated by the ESRB. "WWE 2K15" is currently scheduled for release on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4 and PS3 on Oct. 28, 2014, in North America and Oct. 31, 2014, internationally.
http://s29.postimg.org/jw8uu0bnr/W07868.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/diOtZg4mJRU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maxflier 07-14-14 11:08 PM

Re: WWE 2K15 - Cena on the cover - Sting pre-order bonus

Awesome. Hopefully they do a better job on him than they did on Warrior.

Obi-Wanma 07-14-14 11:09 PM

Pretty sure Warrior was just an imported model from the Legends of WrestleMania game. Sting has never been in a WWE game before, so they have to start from scratch.

Mike86 07-15-14 01:12 AM

Did WWE change their logo? If so not a huge fan. Regardless I'm in for this game with the Sting announcement. I was likely going to get it anyways since even though I don't really watch regularly anymore the games are fun. Too bad it's bland old Cena on the cover this year but oh well I suppose. It'd be cool if this year's story mode was partially made up of classic WCW matches to incorporate Sting or possibly do some classic matches from the Monday Night Wars.

TheKing 07-15-14 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12168829)
Did WWE change their logo? If so not a huge fan. Regardless I'm in for this game with the Sting announcement. I was likely going to get it anyways since even though I don't really watch regularly anymore the games are fun. Too bad it's bland old Cena on the cover this year but oh well I suppose. It'd be cool if this year's story mode was partially made up of classic WCW matches to incorporate Sting or possibly do some classic matches from the Monday Night Wars.

That's the Network logo, but it will be the primary logo starting next month. They're phasing out the scratch logo.

chowderhead 07-15-14 06:57 AM

so, do we get the Madden curse with this cover?

DthRdrX 07-15-14 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by chowderhead (Post 12168892)
so, do we get the Madden curse with this cover?

Don't say that thew entire company might go down if something happens to Superman Cena.

chuckd21 07-15-14 10:58 AM

I love that Sting's "quote" is basically just two old WCW promos mashed together with "WWE 2K15" thrown in.

Mike86 07-15-14 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by TheKing (Post 12168855)
That's the Network logo, but it will be the primary logo starting next month. They're phasing out the scratch logo.

I suppose that they were due for an update to the logo at some point but I don't really care for it. It feels like a friendlier version of the Attitude era scratch logo or something. It looks kind of lame to me but whatever.

TheKing 07-15-14 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12169648)
I suppose that they were due for an update to the logo at some point but I don't really care for it. It feels like a friendlier version of the Attitude era scratch logo or something. It looks kind of lame to me but whatever.

I look it as a "safe" change, kinda like when they updated the logo in 1993 by turning it 45 degrees.

starseed1981 07-16-14 09:22 AM

Man, between that and the Warrior intro last year 2K really knows how to cut a promo. Any idea if this will run off the same again as last years? It's getting a bit old at this point.

Mike86 07-16-14 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 12170134)
Man, between that and the Warrior intro last year 2K really knows how to cut a promo. Any idea if this will run off the same again as last years? It's getting a bit old at this point.

Well if I'm not mistaken wasn't WWE 2K14 basically the same engine as the THQ/Yukes games because 2K Sports didn't have enough time to rebuild it? I think the said the next entry would be different but maybe I'm wrong.

starseed1981 07-16-14 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12170202)
Well if I'm not mistaken wasn't WWE 2K14 basically the same engine as the THQ/Yukes games because 2K Sports didn't have enough time to rebuild it? I think the said the next entry would be different but maybe I'm wrong.

No, you're right.

Obi-Wanma 07-16-14 10:33 AM

Yukes is still developing it according to the press release, so I would guess same engine.

JCWBobC 07-17-14 06:04 PM

Too bad someone who knows how to make a good wrestling video game can't pick up this series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showdow...s_of_Wrestling

Everything about it was great except the game play.

Mike86 07-17-14 06:18 PM

I dunno I never have really minded the THQ games in all honesty. The Smackdown/Smackdown vs. Raw series I thought were pretty fun. Last year's entry by 2K Sports wasn't bad either. I guess I've never thought the engine is as horrible as some people make it out to be. I'd change certain things like branching the main ring area to the backstage area like in older games for the no disqualification match types, tweak the Royal Rumble system so it's not such a bitch to play, and maybe tweak the weight system (shouldn't be easy for a lightweight to take down a heavyweight, etc.). I didn't mess with it much but online seemed to need some work too. The commentary is repetitive too but there's only so much that can be done with that.

Mok 07-17-14 08:54 PM

Bring back Virtual Pro Wrestling 2!

TheKing 07-17-14 11:04 PM

2K14 was still mostly developed by THQ and Yuke's, as much of the work on the nuts and bolts of the game occur early in development. There was talk that THQ and Yuke's were also working on next gen before THQ went belly up, so they might still have some of their fingerprints on 2K15.

For 2K14, 2K didn't do much. They worked on audio aspects mostly, but they were basically putting out THQ's game with the THQ team mostly still in place. That has changed as guys like Cory Ledesma have left, and 2K is taking more of a central role in making the game part of their stable by putting it in the hands of Visual Concepts, home of the NBA 2K franchise.

Personally I'd like to see 2K start from scratch and develop something new. The engine of the current game is still from the PS2 days. We really should be able to have more than 6 wrestlers in the ring at one time. Is it really too much to ask to have real 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 Survivor Series matches, or a 10 man battle royal? I'll cut some slack on say having 20.

There's another issue with this year's game, at least on the XBONE and PS4. Since those systems don't support MP3s yet, there may be no way to import custom themes into the game. That's a pretty big issue for those of us who enjoy using CAWs. Or if someone gets a new theme, we won't be able to change it. I really don't want to by the PS3 version just for this, but I hate the idea that the next gen version is going to possibly lack something the older versions get. 2K removed custom entrance videos last year, so it might be they just don't see the customization options as something important. I hope that's not the case.

Obviously the custom theme issue isn't 2K's problem, it's Sony and Microsoft that screwed the pooch there.

darkdaze73 07-21-14 06:10 PM

It's been forever and a day since I pre-ordered a game since I rarely even play any more. How does this pre-order bonus work? Do you receive a code when you pick up a game, or is the code included in the case itself? The chance at playing as Sting in a WWE game has caught my interest. Now if only they would get him in the ring for something other than WM31.

Mok 07-21-14 08:52 PM

I hope they have his theme song "a man called sting" for some reason they cut it out on the network.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/I1opBep9wZs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/I1opBep9wZs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Obi-Wanma 07-21-14 09:13 PM

If they cut it, then they don't own it, and it most likely won't be in the game.

wlj 07-23-14 07:36 AM

i wish they had these games on Steam, but no luck there. I used to be a big wrestling fan in the 90s and early 2000s. I lost interest after Austin and Rock left. I used to be obsessed with these games back then. Create-a-Wrestler and Create-an-Entrance were always very important to me. This wrestling game had the best of those modes. My friend and I really created some crazy wrestlers and entrances. good times.

http://www.wrestling101.com/home/wp-...view-cover.jpg

fujishig 07-23-14 12:10 PM

I've never played that game, I don't think. I think the N64 games are still held up as great games, though we'll never see them on virtual console or anything because of the licenses, I would assume.

It was also way easier to convince yourself that the CAW you made was the wrestler when the graphics weren't as good (which is one of the reasons I still like CAW in Firepro). Now the options are overwhelming to me.

TheKing 07-23-14 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by darkdaze73 (Post 12175696)
It's been forever and a day since I pre-ordered a game since I rarely even play any more. How does this pre-order bonus work? Do you receive a code when you pick up a game, or is the code included in the case itself? The chance at playing as Sting in a WWE game has caught my interest. Now if only they would get him in the ring for something other than WM31.

When THQ made the game, the pre-order bonus was a code in the case. The one exception to this was with SvR 2010 where Gamestop had the exclusive.

Last year when 2K took over, they changed it. The Warrior code was not in the case, instead you would have gotten the code either sent to you via E-mail if you ordered online, or would have ot printed on the reciept if you did it in store.

Either way, you'd be able to buy Sting come January.

Originally Posted by Mok (Post 12175832)
I hope they have his theme song "a man called sting" for some reason they cut it out on the network.

I just looked at the Great American Bash 1995 and the song is there. The Network and its music is hit and miss. It's not the best way to gauge what songs they have the rights to use. Many times they're using older versions of shows where they changed out music that is now OK for them to use.

"A Man Called Sting" should be included for the surfer Sting. But this is one of those situations where the lack of MP3 support could get in the way. Obviously it would be an easy fix if you could just put the song in yourself.

Mok 07-23-14 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by TheKing (Post 12177589)

I just looked at the Great American Bash 1995 and the song is there. The Network and its music is hit and miss. It's not the best way to gauge what songs they have the rights to use. Many times they're using older versions of shows where they changed out music that is now OK for them to use.

"A Man Called Sting" should be included for the surfer Sting. But this is one of those situations where the lack of MP3 support could get in the way. Obviously it would be an easy fix if you could just put the song in yourself.

Yeah I was watching the best of Nitro Sting vs Flair and they used some generic music. I hope it is in the game.