Elder Scrolls Oblivion Thread: Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Elder Scrolls Oblivion Thread: Part 2

Part 1: http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455335

<hr>

At what point does leveling up no longer provide you an advantage... or what is the max level you can reach? I think my level is somewhere in the low 30s (maybe) so I know I can't reach Level 100... Is there a max level? I haven't seen any new enemies in a while and the enemies themselves aren't getting any harder. Should I stop trying to level up and improve?

Also, what is there to do after all the achievements are done? Is there an end boss? I want to be as prepared as I can for it but it's annoying to go on some of the quests sometimes...
Old 04-23-06, 10:07 AM
RVP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could someone please explain how to use soul trap spell to recharge my enchanted weapons? Also I can't seem to find a targeted soul trap spell, only touch ones. Any Ideas where to find one?
Old 04-23-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RVP
Could someone please explain how to use soul trap spell to recharge my enchanted weapons? Also I can't seem to find a targeted soul trap spell, only touch ones. Any Ideas where to find one?
Try Delphine Jend in the Bravil Mage's Guild.

I like to soul trap enemies this way, since I'm not really a magic user: on a road SW of Imperial City, towards Bravil just off the coast, there's a small ruins called Vindasel. At the bottom of these ruins is a woman named Umbra in possession of the Umbra sword. It automatically soul traps creatures it kills, so long as you have available soul gems.

I like to visit http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page whenever i'm stuck somewhere.
Old 04-23-06, 11:19 AM

I have been playing this game since day one, I am at level 25, I have logged about 133 hours and there are still things I am just figuring out how to do
With that being said....How in the heck do i improve my "speechcraft" attribute? I have REALLY high numbers in all my attributes, and my speechcraft is at 5 I tried "peruading" people but that does not make the red bar move...Thanks!
Old 04-23-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you need to be pretty tough to beat her though. I think she has full ebony armor and heals herself. She smoked me when I ran into her (by accident). I think I will need more levels before I head back.
Old 04-23-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrmagoo
How in the heck do i improve my "speechcraft" attribute? I have REALLY high numbers in all my attributes, and my speechcraft is at 5 I tried "peruading" people but that does not make the red bar move...Thanks!
The easiest way at first is just to bribe people. Later you might want to try the rotating wheel; check the npc's face before making a choice, usually the more "full" the action is (in orange) the greater the effect.

At level 15 my speechcraft is pretty high because I also play the persuasion "game" with everyone I come across; a beggar, a merchant, guards, everyone. I of course stop if it says my disposition is maxed

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 04-23-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mrmagoo
I have been playing this game since day one, I am at level 25, I have logged about 133 hours and there are still things I am just figuring out how to do
With that being said....How in the heck do i improve my "speechcraft" attribute? I have REALLY high numbers in all my attributes, and my speechcraft is at 5 I tried "peruading" people but that does not make the red bar move...Thanks!
You have to work with that speech wheel thing. It's kind of weird at first, but you'll get the hang of it after a while. Basically all you have to do is figure out the two categories that the person is ok with and then try to land the largest wedge on them. If you land a large wedge on a category that they person hates, you will loose a lot of points. So try and get the wedge that looks empty except for a little white thing on the categories they hate.
Old 04-23-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Once all your major and minor attributes are maxed at 100 then it's not worth leveling up anymore.
Old 04-23-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
I need to play this again, still only 5-6 hours in.
Old 04-24-06, 01:10 AM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by The Bus
At what point does leveling up no longer provide you an advantage... or what is the max level you can reach? I think my level is somewhere in the low 30s (maybe) so I know I can't reach Level 100... Is there a max level? I haven't seen any new enemies in a while and the enemies themselves aren't getting any harder. Should I stop trying to level up and improve?

Also, what is there to do after all the achievements are done? Is there an end boss? I want to be as prepared as I can for it but it's annoying to go on some of the quests sometimes...
I think your 7 major skills start at a base 30. Disregarding race bonuses (which should probably add 25 or so points to your major skills), if you figure that the max level is 100, that leaves you with 70 points to add to each major skill. There are 7 major skills and every 10 point increase (any combination) in skills equals a level increase, so 700 (7 skills * 100 max) less 210 (7 skills * 30 base) leaves 490 points and that divided by 10 (number of points to level) gives you 49.

Since you start at level 1, that SHOULD mean your max level is level 50.

However, as I mentioned, that's discounting race skill bonues. I'm not sure how that factors in, but I'm guessing it would increase your skill points with no increase in level advancement, so if you assume an average of 25 points extra from skill bonuses, then the max level is probably 47.5.

What's that? No. No, I don't think I spend too much time thinking about this game. Why do you ask?

Old 04-24-06, 01:15 AM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by RVP
I'm at level 26 right now and still use a touch based spell. That speaks more to laziness and stupidity rather than being the best way to do this. Regardless, this is how I do it. I just keep an eye on how small the health bar of my enemy (the little arc on top of the crosshair) is getting and when they're almost dead, I cast the spell and then kill them off. Even a 10 seconds can be a long time if they're almost dead.

As for a targeted soul trap spell, if you have become a member of the Mage's Guild and have gained access to the Arcane University in the Imperial City, you can now make your own spells. Just make your own Targeted Spell Trap spell.

FYI, if you have a USB keyboard, you can attach it to the XBox. It will make it much easier to enter spell names.

Also, learn some summon spells. I use summon skeleton and soul trap to easily fill up petty soul stones. Scamps need lessor sized stones.
Old 04-24-06, 06:27 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Blade
I think your 7 major skills start at a base 30. Disregarding race bonuses (which should probably add 25 or so points to your major skills), if you figure that the max level is 100, that leaves you with 70 points to add to each major skill. There are 7 major skills and every 10 point increase (any combination) in skills equals a level increase, so 700 (7 skills * 100 max) less 210 (7 skills * 30 base) leaves 490 points and that divided by 10 (number of points to level) gives you 49.

Since you start at level 1, that SHOULD mean your max level is level 50.

However, as I mentioned, that's discounting race skill bonues. I'm not sure how that factors in, but I'm guessing it would increase your skill points with no increase in level advancement, so if you assume an average of 25 points extra from skill bonuses, then the max level is probably 47.5.

What's that? No. No, I don't think I spend too much time thinking about this game. Why do you ask?

Also, you can go beyond the max level. I've read numerous accounts of people going to jail hoping they lose some points in their major skills. If they do, then they can increase them again and thus should go beyond the level 50 max.
Old 04-24-06, 10:48 AM
Mok

The Wizard's Tower is up on Xbox Live 150pts.
Old 04-24-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 906 Likes on 668 Posts
Nice. I'll have to dl it when I get home. The Orrery was short but a nice addition.
Old 04-24-06, 11:13 AM

if you can enchant weapons and have the soul trap spell you can add the soul trap ability to a weapon for 1 sec and then add some frost, fire, shock damage and you should be doing major damage and will always trap the soul of what you kill if you have a soul gem large enough to hold it. this works great if you kept the Azure Star since it is a soul gem that can be used as many times as you want.
Old 04-24-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bluntman72
if you can enchant weapons and have the soul trap spell you can add the soul trap ability to a weapon for 1 sec and then add some frost, fire, shock damage and you should be doing major damage and will always trap the soul of what you kill if you have a soul gem large enough to hold it. this works great if you kept the Azure Star since it is a soul gem that can be used as many times as you want.
Yep, that's the best strategy. Keep the Azura Star and give your sword 1sec soul trap, then just kill everything with the sword. Works awesome.
Old 04-24-06, 11:29 AM

I'm about to finish the mage guild quests. With enchanting, is it only a one time deal on the item like burning a cd, or can you add/remove/change it up when you feel like?
Old 04-24-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 906 Likes on 668 Posts
Once you enchant an item there's no way to change it. It'll stay that way for good.
Old 04-24-06, 12:11 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Mok
The Wizard's Tower is up on Xbox Live 150pts.
Sweet... except that there goes another 150 points.. But, at least it should be useful content. I hope more useful then the Star thing from last week. Though it is kind of fun wondering what effect you will get from the Moon.
Old 04-24-06, 01:58 PM
Mok

Rats Rats Rats! I decided to start a new character today, so I decided to clean up my saved games for my 20th level character. Soooo I did the mistake of erasing all saves except the autosave. Well little did I know when my new character autosaved it would autosave over my old character. So I guess I learned my lesson the hard way never depend on the autosaves.

Last edited by Mok; 04-24-06 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-24-06, 02:06 PM
Suspended

OK,

My question, what is everyone that is in a fighting class using for Destruction/Illusion/Conjuration magic? I have less than 100 magica and using most of the touch spells are pretty hard to do against a decent opponent. How/what spells do you use when you are of the fighter class?
Old 04-24-06, 02:45 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Ok.. wow.. the Mage's Tower.. very cool.. The stuff that happens right after you walk in and look at a book that tells you about the tower.

The view is nice. And being able to go right to any Mage guild is a great thing.
Old 04-24-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mok
Rats Rats Rats! I decided to start a new character today, so I decided to clean up my saved games for my 20th level character. Soooo I did the mistake of erasing all saves except the autosave. Well little did I know when my new character autosaved it would autosave over my old character. So I guess I learned my lesson the hard way never depend on the autosaves.
Seriously, I'm very sorry for your loss. Have you lost the motivation to play? My brother-in-law lost his 200+ hour game while playing Morrowind (it was the XBox's fault) and he was so close to beating the main quest and never had the motivation to start over.
Old 04-24-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can someone help me with the "Where spirits have lease" sidequest? I think that's the name - it's where you have to buy a house for cheap at Bravil, I believe.

The guy who sold me the house went to the Imperial City and I can't convince him to come back and get rid of the ghosts. You would think you just have to get the disposition high enough, but he's maxed out at 100 already. Is there someone else who can get through the portal in the basement, or do I need to bribe him or something? I'm sensing he's still critical to the quest, since I can only make him unconscious and can't kill the bastard.
Old 04-24-06, 04:55 PM
Mok

Originally Posted by rabbit77
Seriously, I'm very sorry for your loss. Have you lost the motivation to play? My brother-in-law lost his 200+ hour game while playing Morrowind (it was the XBox's fault) and he was so close to beating the main quest and never had the motivation to start over.
I was really pissed off, but I still have the assassins guild/thieves guild achievements to unlock. So I made a new character and started over. I had over 87 hours logged and had already completed the main quest and mages/fighters guild. One day I will make a new character and tackle the main quest again. Thanks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.