Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Battleborn (next-gen only from Gearbox)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
re: Battleborn (next-gen only from Gearbox)

Play the story mission on private as Montana. Didn't do too bad only lost maybe three lives while fighting four bosses in the first mission. Last boss was very easy. When you done with the mission you get some gears and another character unlock. While Borderlands 2 is way better I kind of liking the game so far.
Old 05-05-16, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Multiplayer only on console games always seems like a failed experiment, despite it being quite the opposite on PC.
Possibly, but then again it's hard to say if it's an issue with the specific games in question or the genre itself. You can probably argue that a lot of the big titles have had issues (Titanfall, Evolve, Battlefront) since it's obvious console players spend a lot of time playing multiplayer shooters (CoD, Halo, Battlefield).
Old 05-05-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

The one exception would be Star Wars Battlefront which is essentially Multiplayer-only, nearly online-only and still sold very well, even if it was pretty poorly received.
Old 05-05-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
... but there's been a few people acting like multiplayer only games are destined to fail when it's most definitely not the case.
I wouldn't say "definitely". He gave you enough examples to show that are have been plenty of failures. Yes, some have succeeded, but those are outliers, and there are far more cases of multiplayer-only games that fail than there are those that succeed, especially with consoles. This, to me, looks to be the case of a failure, as those that have succeeded, like Destiny, still have a decent single-player component.
Old 05-05-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
The one exception would be Star Wars Battlefront which is essentially Multiplayer-only, nearly online-only and still sold very well, even if it was pretty poorly received.
I think the IP helped it a bit...
Old 05-05-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Battleborn (next-gen only from Gearbox)

Originally Posted by slop101
I wouldn't say "definitely". He gave you enough examples to show that are have been plenty of failures. Yes, some have succeeded, but those are outliers, and there are far more cases of multiplayer-only games that fail than there are those that succeed, especially with consoles. This, to me, looks to be the case of a failure, as those that have succeeded, like Destiny, still have a decent single-player component.
I would, but then again i've had this argument with you already in other threads. I disagree that they're outliers, and we're not talking about console only anyway - Battleborn, Overwatch, and some of the other games coming out like Paragon are across all platforms including PC, where there are a ton of successes that I already pointed out. Then again, this forum is very console centric so I can see why people keep ignoring the major successes on PC and completely unaware of how huge the market is there, especially competitively with eSports.

I'd also argue that the sample size is pretty small. And if you think about it, the number of single player games that don't sell well is going to be pretty high compared to the big releases as well just by comparison and quantity too. And finally, some of these titles might have been underwhelming, and player base fell quickly, but just by sales it might be hard to say games like Titanfall or Evolve necessarily "tanked" - as far as i've seen, both actually sold decently.

Again, I'm not defending Battleborn specifically - it could tank. But i'll always argue that multiplayer only games are just fine and have an audience, especially since consoles seem to be latching on to trends that have been successful on PC's (MMO's, some MOBA's, Free to Play, etc).

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-05-16 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-05-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Also, going back to my point that some of the games in question like Evolve and Titanfall had flaws, the early Battleborn reviews seem to be mixed so far -

http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...critic-reviews

If the game doesn't do well, is it just because it's multiplayer only or is it because the gameplay that you do get isn't engaging enough?
Old 05-07-16, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Again, I'm not defending Battleborn specifically - it could tank. But i'll always argue that multiplayer only games are just fine and have an audience, especially since consoles seem to be latching on to trends that have been successful on PC's (MMO's, some MOBA's, Free to Play, etc).
It is going to tank because it's not very good and feels absolutely half-assed and rushed in pretty much ever possible way.

They can probably fix a lot of the problems with post release content, but I'm not sure there will be much of a community around by the time that happens.
Old 05-07-16, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by atxbomber
It is going to tank because it's not very good and feels absolutely half-assed and rushed in pretty much ever possible way.

They can probably fix a lot of the problems with post release content, but I'm not sure there will be much of a community around by the time that happens.
You also forget that Overwatch is coming out in a couple of weeks which looks like a better version of the same game. In a vacuum, maybe Battleborn does okay, but if an informed consumer looks at the two games side-by-side, I suspect most go for the Blizzard game over this one.
Old 09-26-16, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably not a surprise, but this is now $19.99 on Amazon as well as Best Buy. It's tempting, but I have plenty on my plate right now and this is the kind of game that demands a lot of time.
Old 10-21-16, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I picked up the game used for like $15 and decided to give it another try after doing the beta. We started the story part (the first long mission). We had to call it getting late and made it I'd say 3/4 of the way. Next day we got on and it started us from the beginning....

...does this not have save checkpoints? We thought when you reached one of those points...the re-spawned area?...that was also a checkpoint that you could continue. if that's not the case and if you quit out at any point, you have to start at the beginning no matter what....that's stupid.
Old 01-13-17, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In case some are still playing it, Battleborn will have a huge update next week....

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...ves-next-week/

All 25 Core Characters Unlocked! 25 badass playable characters, no waiting! You’re eager to find your favorite, so get to it! With this update, the core 25 characters will be unlocked for all players after completing the Prologue.
What about the character unlock challenges? These challenges now award a brand new skin upon completion! We’ve also adjusted several challenges to be more attainable.

Main Quests – Story Mode
Story Mode missions will have more guides and tools to lead your through various areas of the game. The Credit rewards have also been boosted to help you get an early edge on loot packs

Two New Training Modes

Incursion Tutorial: Build up your PVP skills and learn the key elements of competitive play in Battleborn. Your first play-through is solo, but this practice mode can be repeated with groups of up to three players.
Dojo: Take each and every Battleborn hero for a test drive! Learn how to slice, dice, blast, smash, and rocket your way through waves of minions.

RETURNING PLAYER ENHANCEMENTS
We’ve talked to many players who have put hundreds of hours into the game. Whether you’re coming back for the second time or your two hundredth, we are all about replayability. Listening closely to your feedback, we made some big moves to continue keeping the Battleborn experience fresh for you.

User Interface Changes: Battleborn’s user interface gets a major facelift. Cleaner, more vibrant, and much easier to find the information you need most. You’ll see UI changes throughout Battleborn, from the starting screen, to the Command center, character select, and even some menu changes.
Draft Mode: This is one of the most exciting new additions! In Draft Mode, teams and players take turns picking and banning characters trying to find the perfect match-ups and counters for what the other team is choosing.

Introducing Daily Quests: The action doesn’t end when you take down Rendain. Check back daily for new objectives and rewards across both Story Mode and Competitive Multiplayer Mode.
Command Rank and Character Rank Increase: Keep on growing your Command and Character ranks! We pushed the cap to 150 for Command Rank, and rank 20 for each character, with all-new rewards!
Updated In-game Economy: We’ve overhauled the Credits system and how loot packs are made available, particularly in Competitive Multiplayer matches. Credits will now accumulate faster in public PVP matches, making it easier to grab more loot packs from the Marketplace. But not for leavers – they are out of luck and will not receive any rewards. You see, nobody likes a quitter.

Loot Packs: All loot pack variations will still drop in Story Mode missions, but only one type of loot pack will be available in the Marketplace: The Core Pack. The Core Pack has better odds for higher rarity gear and has a chance to drop any skin or taunt previously available in Faction packs.
Boosts: A bigger variety of Boosts will become available for Platinum in the marketplace.
PS4 Pro Support: Battleborn will also support PS4 Pro! PS4 Pro players will be able to choose between 1080p at 60fps or 4K at 30fps.

On top of all of that, the game’s 30th hero Beatrix, and the game’s third story DLC (called Oscar Mike vs. The Battle School) will be released on January 12. Beatrix is a physician gone rogue who uses her prosthetic syringe arm to spread various diseases to enemies. She can be unlocked for 47,500 credits on January 26, or is available one week earlier with the game’s season pass. Meanwhile, the story DLC can be purchased for 700 Platinum in Battleborn‘s in-game store. In it, players will have to get past Oscar Mike’s dangerous Battle School which is filled with various traps.

Read more at http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...4BFXSZWHOfj.99
Old 02-17-17, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Down to $5.59 at Best Buy w/ GCU. Any takers?
Old 02-17-17, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shoot...I thought getting it used at $13.00 was good....

I'm not sure why the beef with Battleborn; we've been playing the co-op campaign part and since opening up all the characters it's quite fun yet challenging in some places. We haven't even done the PvP part but at $6.00 the co-op part can be entertaining and fun.
Old 02-17-17, 09:14 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will say that my friends and I picked this up last year, and spent many hours going through the coop. Finishing each map on advanced and hardcore was a blast. The game has problems, but as a 4 player coop game we all agreed that if we had paid full price for it we would have been happy.

Part of the problem with the last few borderlands games, all the back-tracking, is removed from this game. It is pure 4 player coop rpg-hybrid. Also what makes it great is each character plays so different, that going through the same level with a different character feels like a different game.

There are some balance issues. A few characters are clearly more powerful than others, and while not an issue on normal, trying to go through missions on hardcore or advanced, you feel like you stuck with the same 5 characters....but still a lot of fun with friends.
Old 02-17-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Right now there are two of us and we've got to a point where we almost need a 3rd. But like you said taking another character thru feels different and it's sort of fun mixing it up and seeing different combo of characters changes the game...like one being a long range and one being a brawler or two brawlers, a healer & brawler, etc....I like the fact you have a new skill tree at the start and sort of mix it up and change it around. It's not as polished as Overwatch but the co-op part with a wide assortment of characters now makes up for it.
Old 02-17-17, 10:25 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The game scales up with the more people that play. I found that 2 player was the easiest to do coop...with 4 player being the hardest.

On the really hard levels when playing on advanced difficulty we stayed away from all the healers. The difficulty comes from protecting something, and if that thing blows up its game over. Having a healer, who does not do a lot of damage does not really help the team. Instead we did out best to take characters that can deal out damage, and still stay alive on their own. We picked damage dealers that also happened to have a skill or two that healed or buffed the team.

Galilea is one of the best characters to take on every mission. If you speck her right, she gets insane self healing, but more importantly she actually can heal the team as well. If you are about to die you can go into your ultimate and are immune. Almost impossible to kill, and dishes out massive damage. She sucks at ranged enemies though.

ISIC is another great character, who until level 5 is one of the worst characters in the game, but transforms into a beast at level 5. His ultimate is insane. 45 seconds of enemy clearing power....You can spec him later to do even more damage, or become almost immune to damage depending on the level you are on.

Oscar Mike. In about every way Whiskey Foxtrot is a better choice. Whiskey does more gun damage, his grenade does more damage. His ultimate melts bosses and hard enemies (the area effect of Oscar is nice, but really only against trash enemies)...so why take Oscar Mike? He can turn invisible. Enemies do not attack you in this state. You can spec for it to last a long time, and come back almost instantly. You can heal down teammates. You stay on the outside of battle, doing very good damage, and when someone goes down you can run in revive them and get out. On hardcore where there is no revives, he is amazing.
Old 02-17-17, 11:13 AM

Hell, at that price I bought one copy to be shipped to me and one to ship to my best friend in HI. If we even play it once or twice, it's worth $12 to me.

Thanks for the heads-up on the co-op campaign. I'd forgotten about that.
Old 02-17-17, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oscar Mike is one that doesn't have a lot of "Flash and the Wow Factor" like some of the other characters but like so many other games out there that has a "cloak feature"...he is pretty darn valuable. Actually he's one of my top 3 I like to play with.