Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Remastered Video Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-14, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Remastered Video Games

Since this seems to be a hot topic across a few different threads and for all consoles, maybe a new thread for discussion would be nice.

I think i've seen all sorts of opinions on here:

-Why would anyone want to play 10 year old games?
-Pricing remasters full price like a new game is shitty!
-Wind Waker is great, look at all the work they put in to it!
-These new consoles just have a bunch of remasters! Boring!
-Last of Us so quickly? Rip off!
-Halo Collection? Awesome!
-Tomb Raider Definitive Edition? Does Lara look hotter?
-No wonder there's no backwards compatibility, companies can sell remastered games!
-GTAV? DAGGER

Personally, I think it sucks to re-release games so quickly like Tomb Raider and Last of Us and charge full price; I get that they're also pitching to an audience that didn't play those games last generation and to fill gaps in a console's first year, but I still think they should be cheaper.

As someone that's bought the God of War collection on PS3 and Kingdom Hearts 1.5, it's nice to revisit old games in better quality, especially as someone that got a PS3 late in it's lifespan. I'm also a fan of remastering old school games; I LOVE that Monkey Island got the treatment, and looking forward to Grim Fandango doing it. I guess there's a big difference in remastering 20 year old games versus a 1 year old game though.

Thoughts? Discuss!
Old 06-10-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Remastered Video Games

I have no problem with any game being remastered and re-released. I would never have played God of War without the HD collection. Never would have played The Last of Us without this upcoming release.

I'll buy any remastered version of a game I love and would play again. Why? Because it's a better looking, better running version of a game I love, duh.
Old 06-10-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not a fan but as long as it doesn't tie up important resources needed to get new product out I'm happy for those who do care
Old 06-10-14, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If people will buy them, I think they should continue to make them.

When people stop buying them, they should stop making them.

Worst case, their sales help fund other games.
Old 06-10-14, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

I'm not buying GTA V, Tomb Raider Definitive or TLoU Remaster because I just bought all three and they looked fine. I already know my XO and PS4 can make prettier graphics; I don't need to re-buy games to prove that point.

Now The Master Chief Collection is something different in that it's a compilation with some extensive remastering of Halo 2 and with all those multiplayer maps in one place. That's an upgrade that to me seems worth it.
Otherwise, I can't really see myself re-buying last gen games I already own just to admire prettier graphics. Might rent some, though I suppose.
Old 06-10-14, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eh. Easier money for publishers than making a brand new game, and consumers have a choice whether to buy or not. I have no problem with it, really.

I do wish there was some sort of upgrade program for those who bought the previous versions.
Old 06-10-14, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I love having the option to play older games that I love on my new console rather than having to drag the defunct console out of a closet to play it.
Old 06-10-14, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the time I have zero interest. I've checked a few "remasters" the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, and really didn't like the way they looked in my PS3. I didn't get Halo remastered so no comments there.
Old 06-10-14, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I don't mind remasters; if you played it before recently, you can either skip it or wait for a price drop (current gen Tomb Raider dropped really really quickly, for instance). I do prefer that they add something to the experience or bundle them up, though.
Old 06-10-14, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm still waiting to get Tomb Raider for $20ish.... have it on the 360, but only played it a little bit so far.

When I get the Master Chief Collection, it will be the 3rd copy of Halo I will own and still not have played more than a little bit of the game.
Old 06-10-14, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

It basically comes down to price and content. Full price for a decade old game with nothing really new added to the package ala Wind Waker? Pass. A collection of multiple games like Halo giving you every bit of content since the game came out including DLC(4 $60 games and probably well over $100 in DLC)? Sold.

Originally Posted by Music
I
When I get the Master Chief Collection, it will be the 3rd copy of Halo I will own and still not have played more than a little bit of the game.
Already on my third:
Halo (xbox)
Halo (360 - digital)
Halo Anniversary (360)

The X1 collection would put me at 4. Halo is the Star Wars of video games.

Played through the campaign every time. Multiple times on the original.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 06-10-14 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-10-14, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Already on my third:
Halo (xbox)
Halo (360 - digital)
Halo Anniversary

Played through the campaign every time. Multiple times on the original.
I have:
Halo: GOTY (Xbox) Still sealed
Halo Anniversary (360)

And then Halo Anniversary (One)
Old 06-10-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wait for them to drop to $10, then buy them.
Old 06-10-14, 09:11 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I had the Gamecube version of Resident Evil and had no idea it was a remaster... until I played the original as a free download on PSN and almost got sick trying to play. Yeah, remasters are okay with me!

That said, I don't really get all that many. I liked the new Dr. Mario but I never got into, say, Super Mario All Stars, for example.
Old 06-10-14, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Well, Ps1-> GameCube or PS2-> PS3 HD is one thing. Late 720p PS3 game -> Early 1080p PS4 game is quite another. I still think remastering those recent games is unnecessary.
Old 06-10-14, 10:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can see the arguments for it. They're likely relatively easy to do, are almost guaranteed to sell well because nostalgia, and can fund other games.

However unless the remastering is REALLY excellent or the game is so old that I want to give it a new spin, I'll pass on almost all of them. And this trend of taking games released in the last year or two on the PS3/360 and re-releasing them? Fuck right off. Those games should be budget priced if you're going to do that.
Old 06-10-14, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anxiously awaiting the Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing remaster.
Old 06-10-14, 10:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'd like to see some new games. It seems like every other release on the PS4 is something I've already played.
Old 06-10-14, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

The remastered versions are good for those who are getting a Nex Gen and haven't played the previous verson(s)....like me. I came from the 360 to the PS4 and never played The Last of US but read the reviews hoping this would come to the PS4 (july 29th). Same for Uncharted and hopefully one day God of War. Anyone who is getting the Xbox One and has never played Halo would be wise to get that set.

The "Remasters" also have the luxury of including lots of extras like DLC into a nice little package so buyers are actually getting a good deal on a much improved, more flashy packaged game than the original(s). Pretty much everyone wins......
Old 06-10-14, 11:20 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Bring 'em on.
I'll buy the ones I want and ignore the ones I don't.
Old 06-11-14, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

I have no interest in remakes of games less than 5 years old... but if they could bring back Point and Click classics (ie Grim Fandango) on Live or PSN, I'm down with that.

Also, I know this is blasphemy but I just dont' get the Halo love. While the confirmed collection is a good value, I could never see replaying all those games just because some of the graphics were amped up... and yes, I"ve played most of them but that series is just not my cup of tea.
Old 06-11-14, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

There are many games from the PS1, PS2, Gamecube days that i would love to see remastered or rebooted. Tenchu, Roll Cage, Mercenaries (1 and 2), Time Splitters 2, Rogue Squadron 2....to name a few.

There are so many of the old 8 bit games that could be updated and released its beyond belief. The old Ultimate games with Sabreman could be a great series. Games like Carrier Command, Mercenary/Damocles, Way of the Exploding Fist.....there are literally thousands of games that could make fantastic come backs.
Old 06-11-14, 08:52 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally have no interest in rebuying a game I already played and beaten (within one generation, barring a major change in play mechanics like the Wii Resident Evil 4), but I have bought a 'Game of the Year' edition of a game I hadn't played yet (with all the DLC and other extra content) at full price. So in that sense I don't have a problem paying 'full price' for a reissued game if it contains content that previously would have cost $90 to buy separately.

Some of these remastered packages like Last of Us just seem like GOTY editions with the added bonus of remastering. I've played that game and its DLC so I won't be picking it up, but if I hadn't it seems like it would be a good way to jump in.
Old 06-11-14, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I had the Gamecube version of Resident Evil and had no idea it was a remaster... until I played the original as a free download on PSN and almost got sick trying to play. Yeah, remasters are okay with me!

That said, I don't really get all that many. I liked the new Dr. Mario but I never got into, say, Super Mario All Stars, for example.
That wasn't a remaster. It was a remake.

I played RE1 on the PS1. Good times. Once the remake came out on GC. the old one was obsolete to me. That was an extremely well done remake.
Old 06-11-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm a big fan of the HD collections / remasters. I have quite a few in my collection. It's helpful to me because I'm basically allowed two book shelves of games in my house. A lot of the PS3 collections have helped me trim previous generations titles and get space back (like getting rid of the PS2 PoP trilogy and replacing it with the HD anthology).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.