Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-15, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

I admit I've checked some "Help Guide' but there seems to be so much to see and do with twists, turns, levels everywhere, doors, windows I want to explore without a full map....in many cases the Messengers see all over provide just enough help.

The parry with the shotgun is all about timing and I'm still learning myself. Practice on the Townsfolk at first but when you see the wind-up...FIRE!...then R1. You can also stagger them, dash behind for a Back-stab. Done right, a solid thrust to their insides and you'll see blood fly everywhere and the enemy fall flat.....most satisfying....
Old 03-27-15, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
What is that second fountain or whatever in the Hunter's Dream? The one almost directly above the one where you buy items. It asks if I want to use Insight to buy it if I remember right, but I don't even know what it is for.
When you ultimately do accumulate your 10 insight, be sure to buy everything that you need from the messengers in the insight fountain. Why is this? Because, once you fall below 10, and exit that window, they disappear again, until you get back to 10. I couldn't decide on buying a full set of gear during a visit to them, exited to compare gear stats, then, they were gone. I couldn't buy the rest of the set.

Also, I have used the "white phantom" (co-op) system 2 times now, via the password system with my brother. We both set our network password to something unique to us, one of us rang the beckoning bell, the other, the small resonant bell (we were at a boss in the Cathedral, which I will not spoil). The first pairing took almost 2 or 3 minutes (the screen pulses, and has a dialogue box telling you that it's searching), but, the second and third summoning took maybe 30 seconds. The downside was that each summoning / pairing brought with it an invader....one for each of us. We were going into the fog gate to fight the boss each time, so the invaders were banished, but, I did notice that it was every time.
Old 03-27-15, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
IGN has an article up on "How Bloodborne lost me" apparently the guy spent 12 hours on the first level and still hasn't figured out how Gates work (as suggested by his "15 minutes of enemies to get to the boss.") I'm guessing one of his co-workers should have popped by his cubicle and gave him a few pointers.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/...dborne-lost-me
Of course fanboys come out in droves. It seems a lot of the community have a superiority complex.
Old 03-27-15, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Invaders are real-life players? They can kill you?
Old 03-27-15, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some tips:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KIebWVN3Za4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

More and more committed to trying this game out. Maybe that Target sale next week.
Old 03-27-15, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Gooter
Invaders are real-life players? They can kill you?
They are, man. In Bloodborne, rather than just using a stone, they ring the invasion version of the resonant bell (sinister bell?). When a host is looking for help, the sinister bell can answer the "call", too. If the levels are similar (it was usually within ten soul levels in past games), they will be sent to your world to try and kill you. I noticed that, each time, it mentioned that a woman was calling them (can't remember her name) via the sinister bell, so, I am curious, maybe you can kill this woman, and stop the invasion? Because you get a warning, and they don't arrive immediately.

Sorry for not being one hundred percent sure, I am still learning some of the differences between Bloodborne and Demon's Souls / the Dark Souls games!
Old 03-27-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

IGN has an article up on "How Bloodborne lost me" apparently the guy spent 12 hours on the first level and still hasn't figured out how Gates work (as suggested by his "15 minutes of enemies to get to the boss.") I'm guessing one of his co-workers should have popped by his cubicle and gave him a few pointers.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/...dborne-lost-me
I think he has some valid points.
Old 03-27-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I think he has some valid points.
He does (especially on combat, which is improved but far form perfect), but some of his complaints are headscratchers. I guess if you play the game in a more traditional manner (clear the room, hit a check point) it could get frustrating, but I'm sure most people realize after the second or third death that this isn't that kind of game. I guess realistically, he seems to have missed one major gate that is greatly detracting from his enjoyment.

Originally Posted by mhg83
Of course fanboys come out in droves. It seems a lot of the community have a superiority complex.
Fanboys of what though? I mean I'm all for dissenting reviews, I'm just a bit puzzled that someone could spend a full day with any game and not grasp some basics.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-27-15 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-27-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
Yes, load times suck but man, I don't mind cuz this game rocks. Still haven't beaten the first boss as I'm having fun roaming around the city. I made it into the sewers and found the hunter armor. Is it better stat-wise than the Yharman set you can buy?

I re-rolled so I could pick the saw cleaver but I think I prefer the cane as it is quicker. I'm pretty sure you can buy the starter weapons later on in the game, right?

Still trying to get the timing down on the offhand shotgun blast to stagger. Can all enemies, even bosses, be staggered by it?

The ravens and those legless creatures in the sewer freaked the crap out of me.

Love this game!!
I like the cane too. There is a badge you can get in the sewers that will allow you to buy the rest of the starter weapons.

I totally missed the area in the sewer where you get the hunter armor. I spent a good 2-3 hours trying to get it and lost 4500 blood echoes somewhere along the way. When I finally got it, the stats weren't much better. The hunter armor is a bit better for melee attack defense but is less on the blood/arcane defense. So towards the beginning where everything seems hack and slash, its probably better than the set you can buy.
Old 03-27-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So on the co-op part....how long does it last and is it just for a certain area or boss. I'd love to try it but I'm still in the first section just exploring with "The Father Boss" up next. I'm not even thinking the Chalice Dungeons yet which is where I'm certain to use them.
Old 03-27-15, 04:45 PM

Well, in every other Souls get, your helper phantoms stay with you until you die, they die, or you beat the boss for the level you are on. I can only confirm the death part, because I died from an ill advised roll during the boss fight in the Cathedral. Back to my world I went.
Old 03-27-15, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Wiped the floor with the Cleric Beast on my second try
Old 03-27-15, 10:32 PM

I gave the summoning/co-op another spin today, this time, through Old Yarnham (partially, since I did the beginning solo). There is a particularly annoying individual in the zone that is part fun, part pain in the ass.

We were able to beat the boss for the area, and it's a pretty challenging fight, even with the 3 players. He has a particular element to the fight that is classic in the Souls series (unfortunately), which adds to the challenge. This fight unlocked the Chalice Dungeons option for us.

We were able to set up our first one, and it's fun, but sort of a pain in the ass to get the co-op going on. If you haven't yet done Chalice Dungeons, here's some help:

---Take your chalice to one of the headstones on the right, outside of the workshop (they will all be open at this point)

---Spend the requested items to create your dungeon

---Set the options for online to either "open" or "closed"

---Closed will give you a glyph code, or password. This can be shared with others you want to have the opportunity to play YOUR version of the Chalice Dungeon

---If you want others to join you that you know, normal rules for summons apply...you have to be within 10 levels or so (I presume), and you have to have your password set in network settings to the same one

---Summon as usual with the Beckoning Bell, and small Resonance Bell

Also, one last note (no spoilers here)---for anyone who hasn't play any of the Souls games before, know this trick: If ever an enemy you fight should fall to their death down a pit, chasm, etc, just quit out of the game via the network/in-game options, then reload your game. The gear that the enemy would drop is now back on solid ground for you to claim.
Old 03-27-15, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Out of curiosity, do you even have to beat the Cleric Beast? I mean, his road dead ends and I don't recall getting much from him outside of another Hunter's Dream entry, which is actually really poorly located.
Old 03-28-15, 01:23 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of curiosity, do you even have to beat the Cleric Beast? I mean, his road dead ends and I don't recall getting much from him outside of another Hunter's Dream entry, which is actually really poorly located.
yes...it opens a new part of the world...

God this game is unreal. I am not sure how many hours I have in this but I just took out a mini-boss that was pissing me off to no end...his shoots you if you want a hint who I am talking about
Spoiler:
machine gun guy

after dying to the fucker 4 times I looked up how to beat him...everyone said you could
Spoiler:
shoot him off
but I could not get that to work. finally I just went at him and rolled strike rolled strike and finally took him down. I felt like I was playing Witcher with all that rolling.

I can't get enough of it.
Old 03-28-15, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by foxdvd
God this game is unreal. I am not sure how many hours I have in this but I just took out a mini-boss that was pissing me off to no end...
That's who I am alluding to in my earlier post. I didn't want to spoil, either. I had more trouble getting to him at first, until I learned the "right" path to get to him. I died on my first try fighting, then, my second time, I got lucky, because
Spoiler:
I shot at him, and he rolled right off of the platform
Old 03-28-15, 01:59 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by Emperor Charon
That's who I am alluding to in my earlier post. I didn't want to spoil, either. I had more trouble getting to him at first, until I learned the "right" path to get to him. I died on my first try fighting, then, my second time, I got lucky, because
Spoiler:
I shot at him, and he rolled right off of the platform
lol I hate you...
Old 03-28-15, 02:31 AM

lol I hate you...

It didn't happen intentionally, it was during the course of fighting him. I climbed, he rushed me, we fought, then, what I described in the spoiler tag happened. I almost ended up falling victim to the same death from rolling out of the way.
Old 03-28-15, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the write up on the co-op. I'm dying to try it and give it a go but I need to still explore the first part, level up my character and give "Father" a try. And thanks for that Trick if the enemy falls off. I did not know that.

And congrads to mhg83 on the Cleric Beast....when you first see him it's like Holy Cr#p...what have I got myself into. Taking him down...utter satisfaction
Old 03-28-15, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So the beginning weapons are worth upgrading right? not like in Final Fantasy where an enemy will drop a much better weapon 10 minutes later?

I just did the second upgrade on my threaded cane and just want to make sure I am not wasting shards. The upgrade should help me with the third form of the second boss which has been kicking my butt.
Old 03-28-15, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

yes...it opens a new part of the world...
Oh, guess I haven't noticed. A lot was open before killing him. Edit: skimmed a guide, played out of order haha. Killing him is supposed to provide a badge and your first Insight which I had gotten off the bridge near the second boss priorly.
Old 03-28-15, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I have been farming those two werewolves on the way to the Cleric boss and they drop blood shards from time to time. So, I wouldn't worry about using them to upgrade as you will get more.
Old 03-28-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I have been farming those two werewolves on the way to the Cleric boss and they drop blood shards from time to time. So, I wouldn't worry about using them to upgrade as you will get more.

Cool, i may have to try that. If you want to take the fun out...or they have almost killed you, apparently if you run into the house they will follow you down the stairs but can't actually enter the house.

I also was in the middle of a mob fight yesterday when I got my first "weapon is in danger of breaking" warning. I totally forgot to repair and my cane was down to 43/200. I ran away....fast...back to a lantern, haha.
Old 03-28-15, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suck at this game. I'm not even past the first boss.
Old 03-28-15, 10:54 AM
gamer for life

Once you get to the point between the third and forth boss blood shards drop like crazy. I have two main weapons and they are both maxed to +3 and can only be upgraded with twin blood shards now and I still have 19 regular blood shards left. Twin Blood shards are the rare drops now and I have only received 6 or so at this point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.