Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

I'm still dicking around with new game+, but they way oversold the difficulty, especially if you're making use of the moon runes to level up faster. I breezed past Amelia last night and then cleared out the Forbidden Woods enough to open the shortcuts. That run netted me ~600k echoes. I'm up to level 134 now and not having much difficulty with anything new game+ throws at me. I think I've only died 3 times.
Old 06-18-15, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, I'm at a much lower level in my NG+ and it's kicking my ass, I should probably level up with the Moon Runes.
Old 06-19-15, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I hit the first points in new game+ that were significantly harder than the first playthrough. First, the goddamn Hemlock witches. They were the easiest boss in the game my first time round, but killed me multiple times last night. I'm not sure how much was new game+ vs the fact I'd been playing with 99 insight, but they were spawning way more crazy ladies and firing off the brain sucker paralysis beams almost constantly. I ended up going to the Hunter's Dream and spending all but 5 of my insight and that brought them down to a manageable level, but they still weren't the pushover they were in the initial game.

Opening the back door to Iosefka's clinic was way tougher too. It seemed like there were more poison snakes/worms and they kept mobbing me. I died multiple times and had over 500k echoes, so I kept running to the spot where I died to pick them up, then dying before I could get to the ladder. Finally made it, mostly through luck. Hit level 141 and am getting close to 50 each for vitality, strength and skill.
Old 06-20-15, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm having trouble parrying my attack and it's causing me problems against the enemies. I watched the walkthrough videos and seeing the person parry his moves, made it easy defeating the enemies.
Old 06-20-15, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Honestly, the only points where parrying really came in useful for me was against ogres in several areas and the masked men in Cathredral Ward. I much prefer dodging or rolling behind an enemy.
Old 06-20-15, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't parry at all during my play through, timing isn't my strong suit.
Old 08-03-15, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Bloodborne's Box Art Becomes Tangible With $300 Statue

Gecco's latest video game statue is inspired by Bloodborne's box art, which shows a hunter standing confidently with a blunderbuss and saw cleaver in hand. Gecco worked closely with From Software's artists to ensure every little detail in this figure's "hunter set" attire is correct. The statue is 1/6 scale (12" in height), features two paint schematics: clean, pre-battle, and bloody, post-battle. The saw cleaver can be folded up.

Gecco is releasing this statue in Japan and America in December, but it won't be cheap. Both versions (which you can see below) retail for $299. Visit Gecco's site here.

Old 08-04-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just platinumed this Sunday night; only my second ever platinum so I was riding that high for a little while. I was pretty overleveled by the end of NG+ (I think I'm in the 170's) but the first two bosses in Pthumeru Ihyll chalice (the one where the Yharnam Queen is) were still super hard for me. Great game, I was so happy with it.
Old 09-15-15, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well...the last quarter of this year just got even more busier...

TGS 2015: Bloodborne: The Old Hunters Announced

From Software's first Bloodborne expansion has been announced: The Old Hunters, which expands on story elements from the main game. It will be available on November 24. On December 3, Bloodborne: The Old Hunters Edition is coming to retail. The expansion costs $20 / €14.99 / £11.99.

Sony previously suggested an expansion was on its way. During its TGS keynote, Sony featured the debut trailer for the Bloodborne expansion, which featured a bow and arrow, flaming buzz-saw, and curved blade weapons, modified bosses from the main game, and other new features.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/...verstory&watch

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JjfXpuE3dR0?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-15-15, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wasn't expecting it this year, fuck yeah!

Still my GOTY and nothing has come close thus far.
Old 09-15-15, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be curious how it integrates, and will be picking it up as long as I can play it through my current new game+ without having to start over. It's still my GOTY due to the Lovecraftian setting, but Witcher 3 nearly dethroned it for me. I like both more than anything else I've played in the past 2-3 years.
Old 09-15-15, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My issue with Witcher 3 is the gameplay itself isn't as fun as it should be, imo at least, Bloodborne is oddly satisfying when it comes to the mass murdering of enemies. But W3 is very good no less.
Old 09-15-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep...totally caught off guard with this. In fact I was hoping...and still waiting on word on the Dying Light DLC when I saw this. I got stuck with Ebrietas and left the game just to take a break picking up Dying Light & Borderlands Handsome collection and going back to Diablo. Need to finish this....also following the news on Dark Souls III....never played them but this is suppose to have co-op and looks good.
Old 10-09-15, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm trying to convince myself NOT to pick this up today from Best Buy for $20. I really sucked at Demon Souls and never got around to Dark Souls. Is this at least a little easier to get a hang of and navigate the world? DS didn't really seem like it did a great job of explaining how items worked and what you needed to do, does this game do a better job at that?
Old 10-09-15, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I'm trying to convince myself NOT to pick this up today from Best Buy for $20. I really sucked at Demon Souls and never got around to Dark Souls. Is this at least a little easier to get a hang of and navigate the world? DS didn't really seem like it did a great job of explaining how items worked and what you needed to do, does this game do a better job at that?
I haven't played DS much but this gives pretty much zero explanation toward basically everything. But the gameplay is easy to get a hang of and once you figure out how the gate/elevator system works the rest of the game makes perfect sense. I recommend just spoiling the beginning and watching a playthrough on YouTube of the first area (to the opening of the first gate), it will save you all the headaches.

Oh and combat is a lot more fun here.
Old 10-09-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the combat looks pretty awesome. How do they handle the co op stuff? If I get stuck, is it easy for someone to hop in to help out for a bit?
Old 10-09-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I actually never messed with it, but there is a bell system where you can ring a bell to enable co-op, and the other person will ring a bell and be able to join. Alas, you can also be invaded in different spots.

The game has a lot of "mystery" to it in terms of what's what and how things happen and what things do, it actually create an atmosphere that's unlike anything I've played since SotN back in '97, but it's probably infuriating to some.
Old 10-09-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
but it's probably infuriating to some.
That's probably going to be me . Overall, I don't mind difficult games. I just don't like to be lost in games without a sense of direction as to where to go or what to do. But for $20, curiosity might get the best of me.
Old 10-09-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Skillz, for that price just get it. It's an awesome game. The atmosphere alone is worth the price of admission. There will be frustrating moments for sure but as others have said, the mystery of it is what makes it really good too. I really need to get back and finish it up.
Old 10-09-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's well worth $60 and a steal at $20. If you're not a glutton for punishment, try the beginning for 15-20 minutes on your own and then look up how to do it via a guide. Once I got over that initial hurdle, I never looked back. Your level of enjoyment probably comes down to how much affinity you have for horror, specifically Lovecraft, but it's one of the most enjoyable games I've played in 30+ years of gaming.
Old 10-09-15, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bloodborne is probably a lot easier to get into than the other "Souls" games are. The more RPG heavy elements have been either streamlined or removed; you don't need to worry about equipment burden or anything like that, and the number of weapons (currently) is fairly small compared to the other games. Upgrading is all done in the central hub rather than having to seek out multiple blacksmiths and materials, etc.

Navigating the game world is where it shines the most. Demon's Souls could be pretty confusing despite being sectioned off into distinct "worlds." The first stage of each world were all fairly close in terms of difficulty, and they got progressively harder with subsequent sub-levels. Hopping back and forth wasn't very intuitive.

That all changed with Dark Souls (and Bloodborne), where 99% of the world is seamless and interconnected in some way. While the path isn't completely linear, fighting through a tough area and then unlocking a shortcut that loops back to a location you're familiar with puts things into perspective as to where you are, and more importantly gives a sense of security. From Software's level design is brilliant, and probably second to none in the current state of gaming. Well, Dark Souls 2 shines a little less bright than the others, but that's a whole different topic...

The only thing that caused a bit of confusion for me was that Bloodborne has a more consistent visual style and setting, so distinguishing one area from the other can take a minute at first since you're not jumping on an elevator and going from a lava filled cave up to a snowy mountain the way a lot of RPG type games tend to do.
Old 10-09-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I kind of understand the complaints on the game not being "distinctive" enough from zone to zone, at least compared to earlier titles, but honestly it worked for me here. The game world is just brilliantly realized.
Old 10-09-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

like it's been mentioned the game was worth it at $60 but at $20...almost a no brainer. It's really a stunning piece of work and my first foray into the "Souls Type Game". It's one to put you on the edge of your seat and test your patience. One game that I loved a lot while at the time despised for testing my nerves and frustration. Never did finish it but I'm probably at 70-75%. I got stuck on one boss...Ebrrietas and never got past her and never went back into the game. With the new DLC coming out a few of us wants to get back and do more of the Dungeons which were fun...except for some real nasty Bosses

And forgot to add this in case you need more info and which is quite helpful..... http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Bloodborne+Wiki

Last edited by K&AJones; 10-09-15 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-09-15, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by K&AJones
like it's been mentioned the game was worth it at $60 but at $20...almost a no brainer. It's really a stunning piece of work and my first foray into the "Souls Type Game". It's one to put you on the edge of your seat and test your patience. One game that I loved a lot while at the time despised for testing my nerves and frustration. Never did finish it but I'm probably at 70-75%. I got stuck on one boss...Ebrrietas and never got past her and never went back into the game. With the new DLC coming out a few of us wants to get back and do more of the Dungeons which were fun...except for some real nasty Bosses
Just to note, Ebrietas is an optional boss. Of course, I spent excessive amounts of time trying to kill Blood-Starved who is also optional.
Old 10-09-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yea...just kills me I just need her to complete that area. I've lost to her at least 22-24 times and about 7-8 of those I was a sliver away from killing her. I was using the Ludwig. I think that's what drove me away.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.