Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Old 05-27-15, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

You sound exactly like me with Ebrietas as I've fought her almost the same amount and gave it a rest. Four times I had her down to less than 10% and four times her Lasers hit me no matter where I was, rolling or moving.

As to ROM....some cocktails thrown works some but I use the Holy Blade with a Fire Gem just smacking two maybe three times and bailing watching his AOE. What's killing you....shards from above or below? I think I stayed close to the outside trying to lure him to charging, then rolling or quick side step, smack away, then back off to heal and try to lure again. I would get to greedy and try to get in an extra smack or two only to be Body Slammed. Also be sure to load up on Arcane Defense armor which I'm sure you already know.

PS...with the new update if you need a hand let me know and I still haven't taken down Ebrietas either.
Old 05-27-15, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 174 Likes on 99 Posts

I actually beat Ebrietas last night. The only thing I did differently was equip the short version of Ludwig's instead of the long. With the long, I was ending up in a good position, but running out of stamina too frequently to keep swinging the blade. With the short, I was able to just keep hacking away until she was dead.

I started in on Nightmare of Mensis, made it to just before the first boss there and retreated back to the lantern to spend my blood echoes then call it a night. The start of that area is the first place in the game where I've just said fuck it and run like hell instead of killing everything.

I'll have to try a fire gem on Rom tonight. I'd been avoiding those, since they reduce the physical damage so much. If you need help with Ebrietas, I'm happy to give it a shot if you see me on. I haven't played co-op on the game yet, so I'm not entirely clear how it works other than knowing it involves the bells. My PSN id is maxfisher77.
Old 05-27-15, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With Rom, just focus on attacking him (her?) from the side, rather than the front. Get in a few good whacks and then retreat to avoid the crystal attack, then move in again. Ignore the little spiders for the most part.
Old 05-27-15, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 706 Likes on 572 Posts

I killed the spiders, super simple once you get on the side of them (goes from 5 damage to like 300 damage) and I just use the hunters axe to take out a few at a time.

Welp, after 70 hours of this game, my R1 and R2 buttons are officially toast. There's got to be a guide out there to fix em (they're just a little loose).

Last edited by RichC2; 05-27-15 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-28-15, 12:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 925 Likes on 662 Posts

Quick update on my progress (Spoilers throughout, I guess?):
- I am loving this game now, and I'm still kind of terrible at it.
- I beat Father Gas. It was a tough battle, but I managed to get my last hit in right before he would have killed me. Found the dead woman with the red brooch, and gave it to the kid, who... just cried.
- I managed to scope out the vast majority of Cathedral Ward, all the way up to the locked gate. I assumed I'd find the key elsewhere, so I kept wandering and ended up in Old Yharnam. Didn't die a single time since beating Father Gas... not until I got to the two (or more?) gunner guys.
- Old Yharnam... I fought those gunners separately a couple times. It seems like going for the one in the tower first is the way to go... I just can't beat him (yet). Anyway, once I figured out that I had to buy the key to the gate in Cathedral Ward, I went back and did that instead.
- I've died three times at the hands of Vicar Amelia. I understand her moves, so it's just a matter of paying closer attention and making my moves at the best times, but man... that screaming/growling is intense, especially when wearing headphones.
- I guess there are a couple tough guys to beat near Vicar Amelia. I found one, who was trying to kill me with electricity or something. I didn't manage to kill him, though. I imagine there must be another guy like him on the other side...

I've managed to work out a routine in Central Yharnam where I cycle through the majority of the map without heading into the aqueduct, collecting vials (and whatever else comes my way), and killing most of the enemies. I get about 5000 blood echoes for each go-around, and it takes me about 10 minutes... maybe less. Not a bad grind at all. Finding molotovs seems to be the biggest problem. I guess I don't mind buying them, but I'd rather take them off of dead bodies.

edit: So I was just reading a bit and... maybe I should stay AWAY from Vicar Amelia for now?? Apparently, after she dies, the time of day changes to "night" and things get a bit harder. So... I'm thinking I'll head back to Old Yharnam first. Good strategy, or does it matter?

Last edited by Dan; 05-28-15 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-28-15, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old Yharnam is great to play through because you will get a lot of blood echoes and other cool things, but it isn't a requirement for beating Vicar Amelia, but you'll be stronger when you do face off with her (I personally found her extremely easy, and seem to be the rarity in the bunch, but died, A LOT, trying to beat the Old Yharnam boss.) I don't think the time change affects Old Yharnam but I may be wrong.

The one thing I really like about Old Yharnam is that there are well spaced out werewolves that give you close to 1000 blood echoes a piece, it makes leveling very easy once you get to them.

My recommendation for the machine gun guy:
Spoiler:
Use the double handed battle axe, the R2/Charge attack specifically, and knock his ass off the side of the tower

Glad you're enjoying it still I didn't realize how terrible I was at the game until I had beat it and started New Game Plus where you can no longer just grind up your levels and beat everything by sheer will power and strength.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-28-15 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-28-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
My recommendation for the machine gun guy:
Spoiler:
Use the double handed battle axe, the R2/Charge attack specifically, and knock his ass off the side of the tower
Another method:

Spoiler:
Equip a pistol and as soon as you get to the top, lock on him and start firing. You should be able to blast him off the side of the tower. Go down and retreive your spoils.
Old 05-28-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gooter View Post
Another method:

Spoiler:
Equip a pistol and as soon as you get to the top, lock on him and start firing. You should be able to blast him off the side of the tower. Go down and retreive your spoils.
Speaking of which

Spoiler:
if the spoils end up "floating", either Reawaken or go to Hunter's Dream and return, the item will be back at the top of the tower.
Old 05-28-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice job on the progress Dan. For me, the game's fun factor spiked twice, the second time after beating Father Gas. After that, the exploration opens up a lot and you're leveled up enough to not risk death at every turn.

On Vicar Amelia, the thing that made her much easier for me was not locking onto her. The same goes for several other bosses as well. Basically, if a boss is giving you a lot of trouble with the way you're attacking, just try some completely different approaches and see if one of them makes it easier.

To answer your question, I played Old Yharnam before tackling Amelia and think it's a good way to go. The machine gun guys seem to have given some players a lot of difficulty, but I thought that section was really well laid out in how in terms of staying in cover when you need to. As for the one on the top of the tower, he can be extremely easy to take out.
Spoiler:
You can knock him off the tower with a heavy attack or, some people have even posted that they just hopped back on the ladder after he saw them and he chased them over the edge, falling to his death.

I probably wouldn't bother with the areas around the sides of Amelia's lair until you've taken her out, but I will mention that the side you didn't try is different than the one you did.
Old 05-28-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
I probably wouldn't bother with the areas around the sides of Amelia's lair until you've taken her out, but I will mention that the side you didn't try is different than the one you did.
That's putting it mildly.
Old 05-28-15, 02:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks guys. By telling me NOT to bother, but being cryptic about what IS over there, I feel more inclined to check it out than before.

Also, great tips for taking out the machine gunners. I'll tackle that tonight.

edit: also, on a side note, if I could buy scale figures of the Hunter and all the bosses today, I'd be a very very poor man. Apparently only Hunter is going to be available, but I haven't seen it for sale on any sites. There's just something about the style of the characters that I love, and I'm not a collector of such things at all...

Last edited by Dan; 05-28-15 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-28-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,294 Likes on 1,011 Posts

You don't have to kill the machine gun guy...
Old 05-28-15, 03:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I kind of assumed that... but I want to.
Old 05-28-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had no issue taking him out twice, and mining blood echoes in that area is fantastic and way easier without him.
Old 05-29-15, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If I do a new game+, I'm really going to have to be more careful with blood echoes. I beat Micolash last night. I saw the window to roll into when taking the elevator after that, disposed of the Brain of Mensis, then fell to my death when concentrating on some spiders and not noticing part of the floor was missing. No big deal, I thought, I bet that elevator went back to the lantern. Sure enough, it did, but the second time I tried to roll into the window, I fell to my death. ~150k echoes down the drain. I wish there was a skill or item that would let you convert echoes to coldblood on the fly. I'd probably be 10 levels higher if there was.
Old 05-29-15, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's what Bold Hunter's Mark is for, one of the most useful things in the game, stop being greedy

But yeah if you could itemize blood echoes I would be much further along as well.

I have to assume any kind of DLC for this game will be setup similar to accessing Cainhurst.
Old 05-29-15, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Vicar Amelia is weak to fire. Try using fire paper on your weapon. Also if you have it, the flamesprayer gun can be useful, make sure you use the bone marrow ash to get more damage.
Old 06-01-15, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wrapped up the game with the 'true' ending over the weekend. Immediately jumped into NG+ just to gauge the difficulty and made it to then beat Cleric Beast pretty easily. Had enough echoes for five levels at that point, so went from 99 to 104. I'm on the fence between putting this aside for a while, or pushing on while I'm in the groove with it. I'm pretty curious to build up arcane and experiment around with all of the Hunter's Tools, though I realized after beating the campaign that I'd missed the one in Nightmare Frontier.
Old 06-03-15, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm going over the list of enemies I need to beat in my replay of the game. I'm really kind of pissed I missed so much, including Brain of Mensis.
Old 06-03-15, 04:17 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I'm having a hell of a time trying to kill the Blood-starved Beast. In my first try, I had him down to ONE MORE HIT, but he took me out. Since then, I've barely been able to get him down to 50%. I watched a couple videos, so I know what I need to do, but this one's giving me some trouble.
I haven't gone back to Vicar Amelia since, but I'll go after her next.
I killed the two gunner guys fairly easily after my last update. First one got knocked off the tower. The other one took more effort, but I killed him in the same "life" as killing the other one, even though I didn't need to.
For now, I'm grinding a bit... racking up my echoes so I can buy more antidote and Molotovs.

Question: is a boss's difficulty based on your level and/or insight at the time you first encounter them, or is it just always the same, even if I level up a bunch before I go back to kill them? And really... what the hell does insight really do for you? I'm only at 10, but I can level it up to about 15 if I really want...
Old 06-03-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not certain but if you have PS plus there is no shame in ringing a bell
Old 06-03-15, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Ringing a bell?
Old 06-03-15, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Music View Post
Ringing a bell?
Resonance bell = ring for co-op online help
Beckoning Bell = ring to volunteer to help

Or is it vise versa? Either way, its help... Usually
Old 06-03-15, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Ok, I haven't started this yet due to The Witcher 3.
Old 06-04-15, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I'm having a hell of a time trying to kill the Blood-starved Beast. In my first try, I had him down to ONE MORE HIT, but he took me out. Since then, I've barely been able to get him down to 50%. I watched a couple videos, so I know what I need to do, but this one's giving me some trouble.
I haven't gone back to Vicar Amelia since, but I'll go after her next.
I killed the two gunner guys fairly easily after my last update. First one got knocked off the tower. The other one took more effort, but I killed him in the same "life" as killing the other one, even though I didn't need to.
For now, I'm grinding a bit... racking up my echoes so I can buy more antidote and Molotovs.

Question: is a boss's difficulty based on your level and/or insight at the time you first encounter them, or is it just always the same, even if I level up a bunch before I go back to kill them? And really... what the hell does insight really do for you? I'm only at 10, but I can level it up to about 15 if I really want...
Bloodstarved Beast was another one where I did way better by not locking on. I would charge him, roll under his attack, get some hits in and then get away. Once I had him down to 20% or so, I locked on and switched to staying far back and hitting him with molotovs as he finished an attack.

Bosses donít scale with level, so you can always farm and level up a bit to make them less difficult. Iím not entirely clear on insightís impact on difficulty. If you google, there are lists of definite things that change at specific insight levels, but I donít think thereís a lot beyond that. I was at 99 insight by the end of the game and have stayed there for the first chunk of new game+.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.