Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Old 03-31-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Did you have to use a lot of antidote? The only fight i had with him he poisoned me quick. I have a pretty big stack of that I've been saving em.

I actually didn't use any antidote...I didn't get poisoned bad until the end of the fight so I was using blood vials to combat the poison. After the fight I actually went into my inventory and tried to equip the antidote and died in the process, haha.

So I was reset to the lantern and I had to go back there to pick up my blood echoes and activate the new lantern.

When he does the big roar and gets the mist around him, that is the poison. If he only gets a hit or two on you, the poison bar doesn't climb very far and wears off quick. If he really throttles you, the poison bar (middle top of screen) will fill up and it will probably kill you without antidote.

I also noticed that he is very easy to stun with the gun and do a visceral attack when he does his slow, right-hand attack. The hard part is determining which attack is coming and then having a short window to fire or dodge.
Old 03-31-15, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
Thinking about picking this up, but the only thing I'm concerned about is the difficulty. I haven't played any of the Souls games so I'm unfamiliar with them. How does this compare in difficulty to something like Ninja Gaiden Black? That game was a bitch but I was still able to beat it.
It's definitely challenging. However, in my opinion, a lot of the talk about Souls games being "too hard" or "OMG too frustrating" is due to the last few generations of games basically making things easier on us. A lot of hack and slash with no consequence, quick time events, etc. I love these games, but my belief is that they wouldn't have been able to use their reputation as hard games to garner all of the support, were this the NES, or SNES/Genesis era, since you always had hard games like the old Ninja Gaiden, Battletoads, Mega Man games....

Sure, you have to be patient, sure, you have to play smart, but most of the difficulty is legend, more than it is reality. But again, that's my opinion.
Old 03-31-15, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
Thinking about picking this up, but the only thing I'm concerned about is the difficulty. I haven't played any of the Souls games so I'm unfamiliar with them. How does this compare in difficulty to something like Ninja Gaiden Black? That game was a bitch but I was still able to beat it.
It's difficult but not insanely so. I think above all it can be a little overwhelming initially but that goes away pretty quickly. Don't be ashamed to watch a play thru for the beginning if you get stuck and odds are you'll have a great time. This is one of the best new school old school games I've ever played. And hey it's way easier than Ghosts n Goblins.

Its fun figuring things out in it, like enemy weaknesses and what weapons work best where, ie: kirkhammer sword is a god send on werewolves that also pay out nearly 1k blood echoes a piece.

Also the patch seems to have fixed some slowdown

Last edited by RichC2; 03-31-15 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-31-15, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finishing off BSB may have been one of the more pulse racing videogame moments I've ever had thanks to repeated deaths. And then I had a "we're not in Kansas anymore" moment right after that. A lot of this is just a straight master course in keeping your ass guessing.

P.s. fuck Yahar'guul. Seriously, wtf.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-31-15 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-31-15, 10:27 PM
gamer for life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no doubt this is THE game this generation...and if it came out last generation it would be on the short list as well. I have 30 hours into, and I can't stop.

Just beat
Spoiler:
Martyr Logarius
in Cainhurst Castle...took 2 tries for me, making this the first boss I have died on in a while. He is NO JOKE. Also, Cainhurst Castle has my second favorite layout behind the forbidden forest so far. Very well made.
Old 04-01-15, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I might need some help after all or some advice...I'm just stuck with Father G period. I must've died 12+ times with him. The best I could get to was around 75% down but he would jump on me and it seemed everytime I got up and moved he just hit me again and again. I was Level 19/20 during most of it. I just reached Level 21...using the Lone Survivor class and have put emphasis on Vitality, Strength and Endurance. I'm using mainly the Sword Cleaver and tried the Sword Spear.

It's just I'm having a hard time trying to get close since he pelts me with bullets and when he transform getting close to use the Sword Cleaver is more tricky than it was with the Cleric Beast.

So I was wondering if I should look at getting the Axe for it's reach, build it up to at least +2 and then try again? I was in a party with Gator last night and he suggested go ahead and ring the bell for help which I might after all which I thought about checking here first. I haven't even tried it using it yet because I felt I didn't need to and wanted to save it for later.

Last edited by K&AJones; 04-01-15 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-01-15, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would lock on and run around a tree/headstone cluster with him and smack him with the extended Axe r2 charge move. Then when he transforms, moved to the open area atop the stairs and pinned him in on walls.

Are bells finite? I know you can purchase them a little later but wasn't sure if they actually ran out.
Old 04-01-15, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You use an insight whenever you ring a bell, the bell itself is not consumed.

I would definitely just ring the bell and get some help. I did that for the Gatling guy, just because I wanted to give it a shot, and we blew through the Gatling guy and his buddy, along with the BSB. I kind of wished I faced the BSB myself at least a few times, but man, he seemed pretty brutal.
Old 04-01-15, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The way they did BSB was interesting, it seemed like I somehow, authentically pissed that beast off. Aggressive son of a bitch. Felt more like a PVP battle than a standard boss fight for some reason.
Old 04-01-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
I might need some help after all or some advice...I'm just stuck with Father G period. I must've died 12+ times with him. The best I could get to was around 75% down but he would jump on me and it seemed everytime I got up and moved he just hit me again and again. I was Level 19/20 during most of it. I just reached Level 21...using the Lone Survivor class and have put emphasis on Vitality, Strength and Endurance. I'm using mainly the Sword Cleaver and tried the Sword Spear.

It's just I'm having a hard time trying to get close since he pelts me with bullets and when he transform getting close to use the Sword Cleaver is more tricky than it was with the Cleric Beast.

So I was wondering if I should look at getting the Axe for it's reach, build it up to at least +2 and then try again? I was in a party with Gator last night and he suggested go ahead and ring the bell for help which I might after all which I thought about checking here first. I haven't even tried it using it yet because I felt I didn't need to and wanted to save it for later.
Yeah, if you are starting to get frustrated, I wouldn't hesitate to ring the bell and get some help.

If you want to still try it alone, I found that the music box helped in the beginning to get him down to his transformation. I think I used it twice when I was in dire straights to slow him down and get some solid hits in. Also, don't be afraid to back way up and use 2 or 3 healing potions....I would heal if I had the chance even if only 10% or so of my vitality bar was gone.

If you can get him to his transformation, I just stood back and 3 or 4 Molotov cocktails finished him.
Old 04-01-15, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I was wondering if I should look at getting the Axe for it's reach,
build it up to at least +2 and then try again? I was in a party with Gator last night and he suggested go ahead and ring the bell for help which I might after all which I thought about checking here first. I haven't even tried it using it yet because I felt I didn't need to and wanted to save it for later.
The key is to stagger him. I found him to be the easiest to do this to. Use the headstones to seek cover when healing. Once he transforms spam him with molotovs.
Old 04-01-15, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
The way they did BSB was interesting, it seemed like I somehow, authentically pissed that beast off. Aggressive son of a bitch. Felt more like a PVP battle than a standard boss fight for some reason.
he was starved man! starved for blooooooooood!

He was definitely aggressive and once he got a hit combo going it was over.
Old 04-01-15, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well thanks for the advice and I might ring the bell after a few more tries. if I do can I send a invite to a certain person or is it totally random?...any volunteers?

Also I belong to NeoGaf and they have a few topics on the game including so-called New Players. Reading thru it does appear quite a few went with the Axe for it's reach. One said they used he Axe and just kept circling the Large Fountain in the middle using R2 a lot. I think i'll get the Axe anyway to have a long weapon in the arsenal. I thought the Sword Spear would have a bit more distance than it does but not so. So it'll be a Sword Cleaver and Axe to carry around.

I can get him in his transformed form; it was just to deal any damage I had to dash twice to get around and if lucky land a few hits. But one hit, I got stunned and then another hit, another hit and just couldn't get away.
Old 04-01-15, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Axe makes the game much easier, if you learn how to charge it properly you will take out and stagger large groups of enemies in one swoop with a great deal of radius. I'm level 33 (or 36, I can't remember anymore) or so now and I still use the Axe (albeit +4) and the Kirkhammer+4 as backup.
Old 04-01-15, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well then it's The Axe tonight. I'll take it about town and try it out to get use to it and the timing. I only have (2) Blood Shards after wasting a few on the Sword Spear. Where is a good place to go and get them? I've had luck with two outside the Father G entrance and even the Ogre has dropped one around the corner

I used the Music Box and it worked. I didn't use it over three times and he normally transforms around the 50-60% Health Mark. Problem was I had to start it when he was at a slight distance and by the time I got over there all I got in was two smacks and he started firing & slicing away.
Old 04-01-15, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Werewolves like to drop shards a lot, I have something like 64 stocked up now because I'm maxed out with them.

Well except the ones in front of Celtic Beast, they tend to drop 3 blood vials a piece though. Also, while the axe is great for a lot of things, werewolves isn't one of them so don't practice using it while trying to collect shards from those furballs.
Old 04-01-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well then it's The Axe tonight. I'll take it about town and try it out to get use to it and the timing. I only have (2) Blood Shards after wasting a few on the Sword Spear. Where is a good place to go and get them? I've had luck with two outside the Father G entrance and even the Ogre has dropped one around the corner

I used the Music Box and it worked. I didn't use it over three times and he normally transforms around the 50-60% Health Mark. Problem was I had to start it when he was at a slight distance and by the time I got over there all I got in was two smacks and he started firing & slicing away.
If you go to the area past all the caged dogs and the bright stained glass window the enemies there always drop shards.
Old 04-01-15, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
If you go to the area past all the caged dogs and the bright stained glass window the enemies there always drop shards.

That's the one where you can break the barrels off to your right and with the long stairs going down right? I do believe I have picked up some there with the tall lanky beasts. Does the Sharpshooters out in the other area drop them or just healing?

Oh...I picked up some "Coins" yesterday doing the Bridge to get to Father G...just what are they used for?
Old 04-01-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Coins are just hints to point you in the right direction if you get lost. You won't really need them until a good bit later.
Old 04-01-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Father G was a huge pain in my ass. There is a "cheese" method out there that might help. I tried it and still got my ass handed to me plenty. As with the BSB, I learned to roll/dash A LOT during the Father G fight. Move, move, move. And, a couple oil bombs + molotov's will really go a long way towards finishing any fight. I'd make sure you stock up at the bath messengers whenever you find yourself back at Hunter's Dream.

Yesterday was an interesting one for me. I don't know what is considered a spoiler and what isn't at this point, so I'll put tags on everything. Longish read ahead.

Spoiler:
So I finish BSB and I'm fucking pumped. What's next, BB? Bring it. I go back to Hunter's Dream and I have no earthly idea where to go.

I did get the chalice that unlocks the dungeons, so I went ahead and tried one of those out. I spent a good couple hours just farting through the first level and fighting it's boss before I realized this isn't where I need to be.

So off to YouTube for me! I was super stumped and just needed to find out the next step, and I have no shame when it comes to using YouTube with these games when I'm stuck. Back to the chapel I go, to a door that was now unlocked. If I'd learn to actually listen and try and comprehend what the NPCs are telling me, I'd have figured this out on my own. Whatevs.

Through the door, up an elevator, across a bridge, and off a ledge. That's what I did and now I'm in some street. In this street are these Lurch looking bastards swinging potato sacks full of pain. They hit HARD, and I'm having a tough time killing them. They kill me once, I go into a cut scene, and end up in a jail.

After trying, and trying, and trying, I make my way out of the jail filled with Lurches (by running past everyone, naturally) and find myself at yet another boss - some big bastard apparently made of electricity. By this point, I'm spent. Time to call it a day.

I'm using the Kirkhammer and have been pumping some points into strength since it seems to scale so well with that attribute. However, the sword hits are still pretty weak, and I usually end up going back to the saw cleaver.
Old 04-01-15, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm at the same spot as you Lopper. Was totally amped up after finishing the BSB, went and did a Chalice dungeon for a minute (Those are the only things I would consider a bit "lazy" in this game, but they're meant for co-op) and then returned to figure out what to do next. And then I hit that same moment as you and goddamn does this game keep you on your toes.

Spoiler:
Explore that area, there are a LOT of items to pick up around there, though you may have to run your ass off to get them.

Any time you see the big fatass pig as just another enemy, you know something is up
Old 04-01-15, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sure you know this already but the circle button lets you run.

Maybe only use the music box twice...and then once after he transformed. He shouldn't transform until he is around 30%. Too much music transforms him early.

The way it went for me was normal attacks until 50%. Then at 50% he used a super long reach axe and seemed more aggressive and then around 30% he would transform.

So I would activate the music box and and as soon as my animation was done, I would begin to run towards him. I usually only had time to get one charged up R2 hit in...but that would stagger him so I would then go in for a few regular attacks until my stamina was low at which point i would dodge backwards.
Old 04-01-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks again for all. I know some here have more pressing matters and are much further along than to go backwards. I'm not really super frustrated, as with everything there is a way to win. It's just I'm taking a bit longer and since I'm new to this style of game I'm not certain if it's about the equipment, character build, level and of course the strategy.
Old 04-01-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been playing this game a shitload and I'm only 1 boss defeated ahead of you.
Old 04-01-15, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Best weapon and where do I get it?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.