Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Guy spends $26,000 converting his apartment into an arcade

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Guy spends $26,000 converting his apartment into an arcade

Guy spends $26,000 converting his apartment into an arcade, complete with candy dispensers and a physical high-score list. Fiancée promptly dumps him.

Chris Kooluris realized a fantasy when he converted his apartment into an arcade. Unfortunately, that reality cost him a fiancée.

As reported by the New York Daily News, the 37-year-old Kooluris decided to sell his furniture--including his bed--in order to spend $26,000 transforming his apartment into an arcade that consists of games like Pac-Man, Punch-Out, and Street Fighter II. He did this after unsuccessfully trying to sell his Manhattan apartment when he moved into his fiancee's apartment in Brooklyn. He began to feel uncomfortable living with her and her things, and after reading the Ernest Cline sci-fi novel Ready Player One, he had an epiphany of sorts.

"The book just blew me away," he said. "It awakened something in me and I started thinking that I can't believe I'm not surrounded by all these things that I grew up loving."

In the process of creating an apartment filled with not just arcade games, but Transformers action figures, a futon with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles blankets, candy dispensers, and a high-score board, his fiancée decided to leave him.

Kooluris, who is a senior vice president of PR company Weber Shandwick, invites friends over regularly to enjoy his creation, but he finds himself enjoying it less because of his newfound single status. "Now that my fiancée and I are no longer together, it's hard to enjoy the room as much as I want to," he said. "I always end up thinking about her."

Should you be in the area and want to check out the arcade for yourself, Kooluris has an email [email protected]--that you can email to express your interest.
I find it unclear whether his fiancée left him due to this or if the timing just happened to coincide.
Old 06-09-14, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Guy spends $26,000 converting his apartment into an arcade

I think this was originally on Buzzfeed, and he said she left because he became completely obsessed with the project. Which is valid.
Old 06-09-14, 10:25 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the way he is standing in that second pic with those sandals...I think I know the real reason she left him...
Old 06-09-14, 11:00 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

26k seems kinda cheap for all that.
Old 06-09-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

I would kill for that SFII setup...
Old 06-09-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

An apartment? Why?

He's a senior VP of a company. Get a house man, or even a condo then build the man-cade.
Old 06-09-14, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
An apartment? Why?

He's a senior VP of a company. Get a house man, or even a condo then build the man-cade.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Hell, just rent out a space and make yourself an arcade owner.
Old 06-09-14, 12:55 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems to me the fun in doing something like this is mostly in the creation... but once you build it the novelty would wear off after a short while.
Old 06-09-14, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who needs a fiancee when he can play with himself all day long now?
Old 06-09-14, 01:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The good news is that he shouldn't have a problem finding a new girlfriend with that honey trap.
Old 06-09-14, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
The good news is that he shouldn't have a problem finding a new girlfriend with that honey trap.
Old 06-09-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
An apartment? Why?

He already had the apartment, it wasn't in use, and he was trying to sell it, unsuccessfully.

It seems like he decided to turn it into a man-cade, since he wasn't living there at the time. Basically a place to go and chill out when he wanted some time away from the fiance.

The NY Daily News article has a bit more info. It appears that the arcade may have been a symptom of a failing relationship, not the cause:
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1816727
But Kooluris is reminded of a valuable lesson every time he fiddles with that joystick: "If you are going through relationship issues, you need to invest time in the relationship and work on it. Do not work on your arcade more than your relationship."

...Kooluris had moved in his with fiancée to her place in Brooklyn and put his own apartment on the market... he began feeling claustrophobic living in his girlfriend’s apartment with all her stuff...
Old 06-09-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

If he was trying to sell it, then is it really an apartment? As far as I understand, you don't own an apartment, and thus you can't sell it, you just stop renting it. Unless he had a lot of time left on a lease and he was trying to sub-let it, but that's not what it says. If he owns it, isn't it technically a condo?
Old 06-09-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
If he was trying to sell it, then is it really an apartment? As far as I understand, you don't own an apartment, and thus you can't sell it, you just stop renting it. Unless he had a lot of time left on a lease and he was trying to sub-let it, but that's not what it says.
You can damn well sell an apartment if you own it, just like you can rent a house. "Apartment" just describes the space: that it's one of several separately habitable units within a building. Whether it's an owned or rented property is completely separate.

Typically, owned apartments are part of a condo/co-op arrangement, requiring a monthly maintenance fee for the management/upkeep of the "shared" spaces/utilities in the building.
Old 06-09-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

I've just always associated the word apartment with renting. I've never heard of someone (other than the management group) owning an apartment. When the space is owned, I've always heard them described as condos, not apartments (I've even seen former apartment spaces converted and sold as condos, and the people who lived there were very careful to call them condos, and not apartments), so I just assumed the word apartment meant renting and condo meant owned. I guess I misunderstood.
Old 06-09-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When the space is owned, I've always heard them described as condos, not apartments.. so I just assumed the word apartment meant renting and condo meant owned. I guess I misunderstood.
I think it depends on the area. In NYC, they're just called apartments. It could be because of the co-op apartment owner arrangement being common in NYC, condo refers to a specific form of ownership, not just ownership.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/re...d-a-condo.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apartme...tes_and_Canada
Old 06-09-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
You can damn well sell an apartment if you own it, .
Easy jerky!
Old 06-09-14, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
the way he is standing in that second pic with those sandals...I think I know the real reason she left him...
I see what you're saying. Flip flops with flannel? Très gauche! And besides, with his coloring he's more of an Autumn than a Summer.
Old 06-09-14, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

so. .. are we still debating the concept of apartments or critiquing his clothes/shoes? Did anyone ask for a pic of the former fiancee? Am I still on dvdtalk?
Old 06-09-14, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

No, Yes and Yes chowdahead!
Old 06-09-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Did anyone ask for a pic of the former fiancee?
The former fiancee opted not to participate in the original article, so no pics in the original or related pieces.
Old 06-09-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, so it looks like this Wired article is the original source:
http://www.wired.com/2014/05/arcadia/
ne day when his ex came over to see the finished project, he showed her that he was sleeping on a convertible sofa bed with a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles bedspread. “Well, at least I don’t need to worry that this room will ever get another woman wet,” is how he recalls her reaction. (Kooluris’ ex-fiancée declined to participate in this story.)
The Wired article points out that it's just the bedroom of the apartment that's made up like an arcade. He apparently hosts parties there for friends. This article shows a pic (also in the Wired story) showing 4 women playing the Street Fighter II game while he looks on, so he may be still doing pretty well with the ladies.
http://www.gengame.net/2014/06/this-...for-an-arcade/
Old 06-09-14, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just always associated the word apartment with renting. I've never heard of someone (other than the management group) owning an apartment.
Maybe he's DarkestPhoenix.
Old 06-09-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need to see pics of fiancé before I judge.