Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Old 05-23-15, 07:59 PM
  #326  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 79,424
Received 982 Likes on 679 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Originally Posted by Music View Post
Stop dying n00b!
i die because i refuse to dodge/roll. i just have having to use a button to do it, so i die frequently.
Old 05-24-15, 01:28 AM
  #327  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,512
Received 148 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

CD Projekt Red have acknowledged the graphics issue and the reasons for it. Typical of them, later patches will address it with the option of tweaking the game's presentation to the extreme.

CD Projekt tackles The Witcher 3 downgrade issue head on
"We don't feel good about it."

While open world role-playing game The Witcher 3 has been met with critical acclaim, including receiving an Essential award from Eurogamer, its launch has been marred by discussion of a graphical downgrade.

Much of this discussion revolves around a comparison of the finished game to a PC gameplay trailer that aired two years ago at the VGX game awards show. The VGX trailer, below, shows glimpses of a world more detailed and with more impressive visual effects. Was this PC version neutered because PlayStation 4 and Xbox One couldn't keep up? As launch approached all the questions remained unanswered, and a more damaging accusation arose: did developer CD Projekt Red deliberately try to mislead?

Three days after I arrive in Poland to see CD Projekt, I sit down with company co-founder Marcin Iwinski, studio head Adam Badowski and global communications manager Michal Platkow-Gilewski, for a meeting called specifically to address this issue. It's been a busy week and for one reason or another it's taken until now to face this head on.

Before I get into the nitty-gritty, know that a big patch with improvements to graphics and graphical settings was sent to certification today (Wednesday 20th May), and will take between five and seven days to clear. There will be patch notes covering it all.

UPDATE: this patch is live now on PC and coming to console soon. We incorrectly reported this patch would include 600 fixes. CD Projekt was in fact referring to Witcher 3's day one patch here, not patch 1.03. We have edited the article for accuracy. We apologise for the confusion.

In addition, CD Projekt Red will patch the game to allow further editing of .ini files on PC, to push graphical settings even higher. You will be able to tweak grass and vegetation density, post-processing effects such as sharpening, and draw distances. "And we think about some other tricks but we need time," Adam Badowski says.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MqQ3LeBgGDM?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


Did the console versions restrict the PC version?

"If the consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is," answers Marcin Iwinski, definitively. "We can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales; have a higher budget for the game, and invest it all into developing this huge, gigantic world.

"Developing only for the PC: yes, probably we could get more [in terms of graphics] as there would be nothing else - they would be so focused, like if we would develop only on Xbox One or PlayStation 4. But then we cannot afford such a game."


Why did the graphics change?

"If you're looking at the development process," Iwinski begins, "we do a certain build for a tradeshow and you pack it, it works, it looks amazing. And you are extremely far away from completing the game. Then you put it in the open-world, regardless of the platform, and it's like 'oh shit, it doesn't really work'. We've already showed it, now we have to make it work. And then we try to make it work on a huge scale. This is the nature of games development."

It was captured PC footage, not pre-rendered, Badowski confirms, but a lot had to change. "I cannot argue - if people see changes, we cannot argue," Adam Badowski says, "but there are complex technical reasons behind it.

"Maybe it was our bad decision to change the rendering system," he mulls, "because the rendering system after VGX was changed." There were two possible rendering systems but one won out because it looked nicer across the whole world, in daytime and at night. The other would have required lots of dynamic lighting "and with such a huge world simply didn't work".

It's a similar story for environments, and their texture sizes and incidental objects. It was a trade-off between keeping that aspect of them or their unique, handmade design. And the team chose the latter. The data-streaming system couldn't handle everything while Geralt galloped around.

The billowing smoke and roaring fire from the trailer? "It's a global system and it will kill PC because transparencies - without DirectX 12 it does't work good in every game." So he killed it for the greater good, and he focused on making sure the 5000 doors in Novigrad worked instead.

"People are saying that 2013 was better but actually there's plenty of things that improved since 2013," Michal Platkow-Gilewski points out. "Size of the world, frames-per-second..."

"Yes!" realises Adam Badowski. "The game's performance: people say the game is well optimised. This is the first time for this company!" It's the first smile I've seen from him all interview.

Marcin Iwinski picks it up: "Maybe we shouldn't have shown that [trailer], I don't know, but we didn't know that it wasn't going to work, so it's not a lie or a bad will - that's why we didn't comment actively. We don't agree there is a downgrade but it's our opinion, and gamers' feeling can be different. If they made their purchasing decision based on the 2013 materials, I'm deeply sorry for that, and we are discussing how we can make it up to them because that's not fair.

"It's very important to stress: we are continuously working on the PC version, and we will be adding a lot of stuff, and there is more to come. We've proven it in the past that we support our games and we will be looking at the feedback and trying to make it better."

Why didn't you say anything until now?

"Frankly speaking because we didn't see it as a problem," Iwinski admits. They didn't ignore the issue: every tweet, every mention of the issue for weeks now has been sent to the tech team to immediately address - and I've seen firsthand how closely they monitor everything said about the game and how much they care.

"You're saying that we should have said 'hey we've changed stuff and now it looks like this'?" he asks. As it was, I tell him, it looked like CD Projekt Red had something to hide. "So actually here we strongly disagree," he returns, "because we are not trying to hide anything." You can't hide what people can so easily compare and see, adds Badowski.

"We don't feel good about it," Iwinski adds, "and I treat it very personally. Maybe it doesn't seem [like that] because we run around like crazy at the release but..."

"The whole team was touched by this," Michal Platkow-Gilewski chimes in, and I can testify to that. "They really care," says Badowski.

Marcin Iwinski adds: "You play it and you are not fine: really, that's touching and we'll do our best to make it up. But if you didn't play it and you're trolling: think twice please.

"In a way, because of us not seeing it as a problem, and working hard on the game until the very end, that's where we are today and that's why we have to explain. I hope it shows our intentions, because we are not hiding anything. Considering our values, hiding is the last thing we ever want to do.

"And for those who are still not 100 per cent decided, I definitely encourage them to wait and see what we will be releasing in patches, updates and whatnot."
I was upset about the graphical change (though the finished game is still beautiful). Glad to see that CD Projekt Red is being their typical selves and actively seeking ways to make a great game even better.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-24-15 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-24-15, 09:51 AM
  #328  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 79,424
Received 982 Likes on 679 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

there is a quest with a rock troll named
Spoiler:
Trololol


He wants to sing to you
Old 05-24-15, 10:40 AM
  #329  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,687
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Yeah,
Spoiler:
Trolololo
was awesome. He needs some DLC.
Old 05-24-15, 11:09 AM
  #330  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 12,858
Received 135 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Nope. All that is part of the standard edition. That's just the way CD Projekt Red does things with this franchise. You get similar goodies with the standard edition of The Witcher 2.
I bought the standard edition last night and it didn't come with any hardcover comic. Unless that was an Amazon exclusive?
So far I am really enjoying the game. My only complaints are that I don't care for the combat very much and I hope the GWENT card game is purely optional because I couldn't even make it through the tutorial for it, way too complicated.
I think I have only completed one quest and I have just been riding around checking out the ?'s on the map.
Old 05-24-15, 01:28 PM
  #331  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 21,769
Received 233 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

This game is a lot of fun with a ton of stuff to do. However, I am still having to get used to how it looks while I'm playing. I don't know why but it gives me some kind of fishbowl effect when I'm running through the map. I don't get that same feeling when I'm playing other 3rd person games.
Old 05-24-15, 01:40 PM
  #332  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,057
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
I bought the standard edition last night and it didn't come with any hardcover comic. Unless that was an Amazon exclusive?
So far I am really enjoying the game. My only complaints are that I don't care for the combat very much and I hope the GWENT card game is purely optional because I couldn't even make it through the tutorial for it, way too complicated.
I think I have only completed one quest and I have just been riding around checking out the ?'s on the map.
The final boss is a GWENT card duel
Old 05-24-15, 02:11 PM
  #333  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 32,336
Received 240 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
The final boss is a GWENT card duel
No, it's a Max Payne dream sequence.
Old 05-24-15, 03:28 PM
  #334  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,426
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
No, it's a Max Payne dream sequence.
With a screaming baby.

That was so annoying.
Old 05-24-15, 06:13 PM
  #335  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,057
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

I checked my progress last night and to my surprise I've logged over 14 hours and still in White Orchid! This is one massive game
Old 05-24-15, 06:39 PM
  #336  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 12,858
Received 135 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Why can't we get a Conan game like this?
Old 05-24-15, 10:12 PM
  #337  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,512
Received 148 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Here's a handy-dandy guide for potion crafting.
Old 05-24-15, 10:13 PM
  #338  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,512
Received 148 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

And this Witcher 3 exploit lets you make 100,000 crowns in less than an hour.
Old 05-25-15, 02:36 AM
  #339  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 32,336
Received 240 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

The loading times after a death are a joke. I've clocked it at over 90 seconds.
Old 05-25-15, 04:54 AM
  #340  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,057
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

I made the mistake of putting my PS4 in rest mode without realizing the game counts rest mode. Now I don't know my real time played
Old 05-25-15, 06:11 AM
  #341  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 32,336
Received 240 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

I did that with Dragon Age. My play time was like 800 hours or something
Old 05-25-15, 07:16 AM
  #342  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,687
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
The loading times after a death are a joke. I've clocked it at over 90 seconds.
Console? Loads for me on my PC with a SSD are about 10 seconds, give or take.
Old 05-25-15, 10:52 AM
  #343  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,512
Received 148 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Patch 1.04 released for PC.

The patch 1.04 for PC is available for download now! Please find the list of changes below:

- Rebinding of all keys is now available after switching on the ‘Unlock Bindings’ option in the Options\Key Bindings submenu.

- Corrects an issue in the dialogue system that might have caused dialogue looping in certain scenes.


- Fixes an issue with incorrect behavior of Wild Hunt warriors after they were affected by the Axii Sign.

- Corrects a bug that caused spontaneous combustion of gas clouds.

- 1280 x 720 resolution is now properly displayed as a valid resolution option.

- Fixes boat stuttering in cutscenes.

- Texture rendering quality for the high and ultra presets has been improved.

- Further improvements made in NVIDIA Hairworks performance.

- A few additional gwent cards are now available in the Prologue area.

- Fixes an issue where users with usernames incorporating non-

- Latin characters were unable to import saves from The Witcher 2.

- Includes a series of overall stability and performance improvements.

- Fixes issues related to alt + tabbing and minimizing the game window.

- Updates the game icon.

- Enlarges the loot pop-up window in the UI.

- Fixes an issue where, in certain circumstances, the comparison window could extend beyond the game borders in the UI.

- Upgrading items included in gear sets no longer destroys rune sockets on said items.

- Introduces small tweaks in the UI for gwent.

- Corrects some missing translations in localized versions.
Old 05-25-15, 07:31 PM
  #344  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 79,424
Received 982 Likes on 679 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

my 2nd and 3rd biggest issues with the game are as follows:

the controls are moderately bad. very floaty. i hate riding the horse because the fucking thing never responds correctly or quickly. i also wish dodging/parrying was just used by the movement of the analog stick, not a specific button.

loot issues. everything i'm getting is like 2-3 levels below what i have now. while there are side quests that are certainly below my level, many are 2-4 above me, which i'm doing. i should be getting loot equal to or better than what i have. i also have many quests to get loot like better gear, but those are 10 to 20(!) higher than I am in level. doesn't seem to be a good system of scaling it to where you currently are.
Old 05-25-15, 07:57 PM
  #345  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,057
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
loot issues. everything i'm getting is like 2-3 levels below what i have now. while there are side quests that are certainly below my level, many are 2-4 above me, which i'm doing. i should be getting loot equal to or better than what i have. i also have many quests to get loot like better gear, but those are 10 to 20(!) higher than I am in level. doesn't seem to be a good system of scaling it to where you currently are.
One of the devs said in an interview that your weapons do scale with your level.
Old 05-25-15, 09:54 PM
  #346  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 21,769
Received 233 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

The horse is a pain in the ass to ride unless you are going straight with nothing in the way. If you are close to obstacles and getting attacked by enemies then your ass is grass. Also, did they really have to call the horse "Roach?"
Old 05-25-15, 10:16 PM
  #347  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,512
Received 148 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
The horse is a pain in the ass to ride unless you are going straight with nothing in the way.

If you are close to obstacles and getting attacked by enemies then your ass is grass.
If you keep the a button pressed (flicking the control stick only occasionally when the road forks), the horse sticks to the paths and doesn't halt in front of obstacles. Helps in races or long travels. Also works for fast galloping.

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Also, did they really have to call the horse "Roach?"
Yes. That's the name of Geralt's horse in the books. Keira Metz even jokes about the name during her quest.

But if you need a more detailed explanation, here you go.

Roach (Polish: Płotka) is the name that Geralt of Rivia, the witcher, gives to all of his horses. His preference is for mares.

The name refers to the roach (Rutilus rutilus), a common European fresh water fish. It has nothing directly to do with the either the French given name "Roche" or the character Vernon Roche (or, especially, the insect). Though the English term for the fish ("roach") does in fact share its origin with "Roche": both terms come from the Old French word for "rock".

It's worth noting that the original name for the horse in Polish is "Płotka", a diminutive form of the word "Płoć" (meaning "roach"). Diminutives are endearing in Polish, so a more direct translation would have been something along the lines of "Roachy" or "Roachie" (English, however, doesn't commonly use diminutives in that manner).

Moreover, the Polish word is female gendered which corresponds with Geralt's preference for mares - a stallion couldn't be called "Płotka". The tender tone as well as the gender of the name is lost in the translation.
This is a case where the Polish word would have been preferable. Similar to how Dandelion is called Jaskier in the original Polish text (and left unaltered in some translations of the books). This word means Buttercup but it was deemed too feminine by the English translators. How Dandelion is in any way manlier is beyond my comprehension.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-25-15 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-25-15, 10:18 PM
  #348  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,512
Received 148 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Just a heads up.



This week we'll release two new FREE DLCs for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt!

CONTRACT: MISSING MINERS - Miners from a small Skellige village are disappearing. Investigate and find out what's happening!

ALTERNATIVE LOOK FOR YENNEFER - Check out this entirely new look for the mighty sorceress Yennefer of Vengerberg!

Stay tuned!
Old 05-25-15, 10:37 PM
  #349  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 79,424
Received 982 Likes on 679 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
One of the devs said in an interview that your weapons do scale with your level.
they said that, but it sure doesn't seem like that to me in my playing of the game.

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
The horse is a pain in the ass to ride unless you are going straight with nothing in the way. If you are close to obstacles and getting attacked by enemies then your ass is grass. Also, did they really have to call the horse "Roach?"
one of the biggest issues is once the terrain starts to go from flat to hills/mountains. fucking horse can't figure shit out.

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
If you keep the a button pressed (flicking the control stick only occasionally when the road forks), the horse sticks to the paths and doesn't halt in front of obstacles. Helps in races or long travels. Also works for fast galloping.
which is fine if you are going short distances. when you want to traverse long distances, unless you want to take the absolute longest path possible, it's much faster to run off the trails.
Old 05-26-15, 11:14 AM
  #350  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,057
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

I was up from 1am till 9am yesterday playing this damn game. You know a game is good when you're willing to give up sleep

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.