Reload this Page >

Video Game Books Discussion Thread

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Video Game Books Discussion Thread

Old 12-09-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Video Game Books Discussion Thread

Speaking of, there's another $5 off coupon out now.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12419611-am...=sticky-missed

Amazon offers $5 Off Books (shipped and sold by Amazon) on purchases $20 or more (exclusions apply) when you apply promo code GIFTBOOK18 at checkout.
Old 12-09-18, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I bought this one a couple years back. It’s by Pat Contri who’s known for his YouTube channel Pat the NES Punk along with contributions from other reviewers. It’s a really nice hardcover book that’s almost like a school text book in size reviewing all the games from the NES. He’s also coming out with a Super Nintendo book.
Old 12-13-18, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not video game related, but since it's the Christmas season I'll toss this out there. We just read it tonight, this book is fantastic if you are a fan of the movie.

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-26-18, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

At my family's gift exchange I got the Super Mario Encyclopedia I mentioned previously. Looking forward to looking through it.

And my copy of Final Fantasy Ultimania Archive Volume 2 arrived last week. I'll probably skip Volume 3, since I'm not a big fan of the PS2+ era games.
Old 12-26-18, 08:58 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

This book is fantastic. Read it a couple years ago. It goes all the way from pinball machines in the 30s up though the PS2 generation, IIRC.

Originally Posted by Mike86

I bought this one a couple years back. It’s by Pat Contri who’s known for his YouTube channel Pat the NES Punk along with contributions from other reviewers. It’s a really nice hardcover book that’s almost like a school text book in size reviewing all the games from the NES. He’s also coming out with a Super Nintendo book.
Just wanted to say that both of these books are very good. The NES book is a bit pricey but worth it, it's high quality. Looking forward to his SNES book.
Old 01-08-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Jason Schreier's Blood, Sweat, and Pixels is $2.99 on Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Sweat-Pixels-Triumphant-Turbulent-ebook/dp/B01NAKSWW1/ref=sr_1_1_twi_kin_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546962578&sr=8-1&keywords=blood+sweat https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Sweat-Pixels-Triumphant-Turbulent-ebook/dp/B01NAKSWW1/ref=sr_1_1_twi_kin_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546962578&sr=8-1&keywords=blood+sweat

Old 01-27-19, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I just finished this over the weekend. Fantastic book and a real nice behind the scenes on how some of these big games come together in the final moments (or like how Star Wars 1313 unfortunately doesn't). I really hope he does a follow up book. I would love to hear more about Destiny.
Old 01-27-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
^ I just finished this over the weekend. Fantastic book and a real nice behind the scenes on how some of these big games come together in the final moments (or like how Star Wars 1313 unfortunately doesn't). I really hope he does a follow up book. I would love to hear more about Destiny.
Jason has a follow-up in the works, but it's not quite the same thing. He emailed an update on New Year's (like, not to me personally , but you know what I mean):

Hello! If you're getting this, that means that either you signed up for more information on my second book or you've been fooled by an elaborate phishing scheme. If it's the former, thank you! If it's the latter, you can find Blood, Sweat, and Pixels right now in bookstores everywhere.

Time for a status report! As you might already know, I signed a contract last year with HarperCollins to write a new book about video games. As you might not know, last fall I realized that my original idea wasn't coming together. It was too broad, too vast, too hard to sum up in a single sentence while talking to friends and colleagues. I had gotten some good material -- material that I'll almost certainly use either for this project or a future one -- but the book wasn't coalescing in the ways I was hoping.

So I rebooted!

My second book is now headed in a different direction, one that I think is working out so far. Throughout 2019, I'll be reporting and writing this new iteration of book two. I'm keeping the details vague because who knows what might change, but the short version is: It's going to dig into some of the darker aspects of game development, and it'll hopefully help humanize events that we think about in the abstract.

From the start, I didn't want book two to be just another compilation of game development stories -- I wanted to try something different. I knew that'd be a riskier approach, but I also wouldn't have been satisfied doing the same exact thing a second time. Right now we're looking at a Spring 2020 release, but as countless E3 press conferences have shown us, anything can change. I'll be staying quiet about this for the next few months as I continue to write and report. Expect to hear much more from me later this year.

Happy New Year, and I hope you all have an excellent 2019.
Jason
Old 01-27-19, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a cool approach too, I'll check it out. With all the recent stories on crunch and the super long work weeks, along with all of the sexual harassment stories, I'm sure he will have plenty to work with.
Old 08-25-20, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Ken Williams, the founder of Sierra On-line has a book coming out about the rise and fall of the company called Not All Fairy Tales Have Happy Endings. Supposed to come out in October. Looking forward to it.

https://kensbook.com/

Old 05-07-21, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Jason Schreier's new book is coming out on the 11th and is called Press Reset: Ruin and Recovery in the Video Game Industry

Amazon Amazon

I slacked off on picking up The Art of Point and Click Adventure Games, but fortunately they came out with a Second Edition with an additional 40 pages of material. I finally ordered it yesterday. Can't wait to get it.

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/produc...dventure-games
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (05-07-21)