Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo Thread

<iframe width="640" height="415" src="http://teamcoco.com/embed/v/83526" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-24-14, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Game Critics Awards Best of E3 2014 Nominees Revealed, Evolve Leads the Pack

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...eads-the-pack/

Winners to be announced on Tuesday, July 1, the Game Critics Awards Best of E3 2014 nominees have been revealed, with Evolve leading everyone at six nominations, followed by Destiny and Rainbow Six: Siege with four, and Alien: Isolation, Batman: Arkham Knight, Middle-earth: Shadow or Mordor, and No Man’s Sky with three.

For those of you keeping score at home, the platform breakdown (as of June 24) has 26 games on PS4, 25 on Xbox One, 24 on PC, 16 on PS3, 15 on Xbox 360, 7 on PS Vita, 6 on Wii U, and 4 on 3DS. As for publishers, 2K, Warner Bros, and Ubisoft are all tied with eight, while Sony Computer Entertainment is in 2nd with seven.

Comprised of 29 publications, you can learn more about the game critics who will be voting by heading over here.
Old 06-24-14, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did Polygon get to vote? Because they hate video games.
Old 06-25-14, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought E3 was completely underwhelming this year. No big surprises since so much was announced beforehand. I was surprised to hear good things about Shadow of Mordor though, might have to look more into that.
Old 07-07-14, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qgXexrUl2co" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-08-14, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lol, just shows how "great" IGN is for gaming news and readers. Show off 10 seconds of a Zelda coming out in like 8 years and you win E3 according to IGN
Old 07-08-14, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG, he's back! Even if it is just to post more Wii U stuff
Old 07-08-14, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If the only measurement is surprise first party games, then I agree that Nintendo did a great job. But if you take multiplats (meaning everybody but WiiU) into account along with the realities of WiiU market penetration, I think both Sony and MS had better showings.

To my eye, MS had the tightest press conference, Sony had the best content, and Nintendo had the most surprises or least leaks depending on how you look at it. There were no losers this year.

I do have to say that I'm on board with how Nintendo did their video event rather than a traditional stage presentation. It had a cool "behind the scenes" vibe, had none of the technical hitches associated with press conferences and was probably cheaper by quite a margin.
Old 07-08-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I'm not sure how "here's the X iteration of these franchises" equates to surprise for Nintendo.
Old 07-08-14, 10:26 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Perhaps the fact that Nintendo offered something different from Sony or Microsoft is why Nintendo "won" E3 according to IGN people. Aside from the exclusives, the MS and PS conferences were pretty much the same, with one being about a half hour too long.
Old 07-08-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

In any case, "Winning" this year's E3 means which company impressed slightly more than the other two with new games and presentation. "Winning" last year's E3 was about dynamically changing the immediate future of gaming and dictating what control consumers had over console pricing and DRM for the next generation of consoles. It was a much bigger deal - though it's easy to forget a year later.
Old 07-08-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I just find it funny that MS & Sony somehow lose points for supposedly the same 'ol shit, aka Halo & Uncharted and turn around and praise the company putting out a second Yoshi game in Six months, and ahowing off two Zeldas and two Smash Bros games. Nevermind the fact they're abandoning the core concept of both their current consoles(3D, tablet). That just doesn't sound like a recipe for "best of the best," IMO.
Old 07-09-14, 08:54 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't think it's the types of games, but how they were presented. Nintendo at least has no qualms about showing a lot of the same IP. But it's their IPs, and for many they're more fun than the IPs from MS or PS. And what do you mean abandoning 3D or the Gamepad? Nintendo isn't doing that at all. The 3DS is still the 3DS, no? And Nintendo is coming out with lots of games with the the Gamepad in mind for the Wii U.

Meanwhile, PS, MS, EA, and Ubisoft showed a lot of stuff that doesn't look much different from last year's show. Another Call of Duty, another Assassin's Creed, another Far Cry, etc. A lot of gamers clearly are getting sick of those franchises; at least at IGN.

Is it "fair?" Maybe not, but that's how people feel. Logic has nothing to do with it. You can't rationalize why people like something more than others.

But what does it is really matter? It's not like Nintendo is going to win this generation of console gaming. It's just how people thought their presentations came off. PS and MS came off a bit more desperate and boring with talking about specs of games, obscure trailers, etc. while Nintendo was just like "fuck that" and just showed a bunch of games that looked fun. How can you fault a company that tries to go an alternate route with the presentation?