Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Unreal Tournament 'Comeback' ..blast from past?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Unreal Tournament 'Comeback' ..blast from past?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
It does not take four years to code a game.
Of course it can, especially if everything is built from scratch. Probably not so much with a game like this using an existing engine like Unreal though.
Old 05-08-14, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Unreal Tournament 'Comeback' ..blast from past?

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Of course it can, especially if everything is built from scratch. Not so much with a game like this using an existing engine like Unreal though.
UE4 already exists. I don't see this taking more than 12-18 months at the most, especially since they're asking for a lot of fan involvement. If anything, I'd expect it to be out by Q4 2015/Q1 2016.

I would assume this to be very similar to Team Fortress 2. There's a handful of maps created by Valve and the rest is from the community. Fuck, Epic can literally just remake the maps from the first game and utilize those and not a single person would be upset.
Old 05-08-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Disagree. I love Titanfall and the regen requirements have kept me interested until the DLC launches. When it comes to games of this nature, I could rarely give two shits about the single-player. Just give me multiplayer and possibly co-op.
Yeah, the multiplayer got old at an exceptionally fast rate for me and I was craving some sort of depth to what seemed like an interesting gaming universe.
Old 05-08-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah, the multiplayer got old at an exceptionally fast rate for me and I was craving some sort of depth to what seemed like an interesting gaming universe.
The problem (besides the matchmaking) is just a lack of game modes.

I understood the reasoning on not wanting to fragment the community out the door on day one, but there needs to be more come the first DLC other than the 2v2 variation of Last Titan Standing. If we don't see a plethora of game modes added into the mix, I have a feeling Respawn will be holding that back for the game's inevitable sequel.
Old 05-08-14, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Really a bummer that the news today didn't include console. There's no excuse not to include them. The concept of the game is there. It's not like you need a storyline lime The Last of Us. The PS3 version even had an editor and it was far more difficult to port than what the PS4 is.Epic had a golden opportunity to announce a console version.
Old 05-08-14, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

UE4 already exists. I don't see this taking more than 12-18 months at the most, especially since they're asking for a lot of fan involvement. If anything, I'd expect it to be out by Q4 2015/Q1 2016.
I know, that's why I mentioned the existing engine. My last company was working on a game using UE4, so i'm well aware.

It doesn't change how wrong the statement "it does not take four years to code a game" is.
Old 05-08-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Really a bummer that the news today didn't include console. There's no excuse not to include them. The concept of the game is there. It's not like you need a storyline lime The Last of Us. The PS3 version even had an editor and it was far more difficult to port than what the PS4 is.Epic had a golden opportunity to announce a console version.
Considering Epic still has a lot of decisions to make ("A lot of this is brand new for Epic, and we don’t yet have everything figured out"), I wouldn't rule out a console edition yet.

Since we know the game will be built off UE4, the game does have a semi-decent chance of coming to PS4 and Xbox One. However, the two gigantic questions becomes:
  1. Will Sony and Microsoft want a cut of the micro transactions?
  2. How will servers work? With Epic giving out the game for free, will the servers be hosted by Epic, by third parties, or a combination of the two?
If the answer to the first question is "Yes," then we will never see a console version (look at Valve versus Microsoft regarding Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, and Left 4 Dead 2).

It makes sense to build this specifically for the PC crowd first as they're the most familiar with the franchise.
Old 07-24-14, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/24/ep...rnament-level/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z8Nlz7XonCs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First look at concept art.
Old 07-25-14, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think anyone was expecting the game to look less than exceptional.

What I want to know is what Facing Worlds will look like using UE4.
Old 07-26-14, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

So... the same video posted 2 posts up?
Old 07-26-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

But he made his video bigger then mine
Old 07-27-14, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Music
So... the same video posted 2 posts up?
Sorry about that. Originally it was the shorter version with just the Level Concept but it wouldn't embed so I grabbed the extended long version instead forgetting it was posted earlier....corrected.
Old 12-06-18, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And... dead. Or shelved for now.

https://kotaku.com/unreal-tournament...ent-1830916530

The 2014 reboot of Epic’s beloved Unreal Tournament arena shooter series that was billed as a “collaboration” between a small team at Epic and the community is no longer officially being worked on, according to Epic.

“Unreal Tournament remains available in the store but isn’t actively developed,” Epic Games founder and CEO Tim Sweeney told Variety. This is probably not what the game’s community—who learned in September that the Unreal Tournament team was busy helping out with Fortnite Battle Royale—wanted to hear.
Old 12-06-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hated to see that..sort of like Blizzard with Diablo....right now it's all about keeping the "Suits & Shareholders" happy and that involves projects that make money and right now their focus is Fortnight. It's just like Diablo....it would get a following and probably some attention but it's all about numbers. And with Blizzard that has Activision breathing down their necks wanting results, their focus is now on the mobile market. But it also may be they look at Unreal not fitting in today's gaming genre where it seems more like massive Battle Royal and cosmetic options galore....UTIII was just a blast on the PC and even on the first XBox.
Old 12-06-18, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's just like Diablo....it would get a following and probably some attention but it's all about numbers. And with Blizzard that has Activision breathing down their necks wanting results, their focus is now on the mobile market.
While I don't know if your comments about Epic and Unreal is true or not, with regards to the rest of your post I would say that this isn't really accurate and I wouldn't take all the comments you read online from fans making assumptions about what's happening as gospel. There's a lot of half truths and conjecture there.
Old 12-08-18, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
While I don't know if your comments about Epic and Unreal is true or not, with regards to the rest of your post I would say that this isn't really accurate and I wouldn't take all the comments you read online from fans making assumptions about what's happening as gospel. There's a lot of half truths and conjecture there.
This is a great of and though of story I saw regarding not just the Diablo Franchise but what's happening at Blizzard and Activison. it's really long but goes into the details a lot don't know about....

[BThe Past, Present, And Future Of Diablo][/B]
https://kotaku.com/the-past-present-...blo-1830593195
Old 12-08-18, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This is a great of and though of story I saw regarding not just the Diablo Franchise but what's happening at Blizzard and Activison. it's really long but goes into the details a lot don't know about....

[BThe Past, Present, And Future Of Diablo][/B]
https://kotaku.com/the-past-present-...blo-1830593195
And even in that article, perspective plays a lot in to presumption about how big of a role Activision is playing and what the direction of Blizzard is.

Either way, my point about accuracy and assumptions is that I hate when people generalize and say things like "their focus is on the mobile market" as though they know what's actually happening at the company. Plus, Blizzard is a large company with MANY development teams working on different projects. Some might be working on mobile projects, but many are not. It's not like the entire company turned into Supercell.
Old 12-09-18, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I really wish that UT would make a comeback. One of my all time favorite games.
Old 12-09-18, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I really wish that UT would make a comeback. One of my all time favorite games.
This news ia quite a bummer. I played the alpha demo quite a bit, and it was just as fun as it always was (for me at least). UT was the only online FPS that I was actually good at. UT 2004 was, and still is IMO, the best at balancing gameplay and integrating vehicles.