Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Obsessive Gaming

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 10:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obsessive Gaming

Have you ever gotten into "the zone" while playing a game where you'll play a certain game or several certain games over and over and nothing else? The last week or so, I've been playing pretty much nothing but Lord Of The Rings Two Towers and Lord Of The Rings Return Of The King. I'm thinking it's because I finally got a new gamecube controller after not having one for a couple of years.
Old 03-01-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Obsessive Gaming

Oh yeah. The first time I discovered Battlefield comes to mind. Also, when a friend introduced me to Warcraft III I pretty much turned into a hermit.
Old 03-01-14, 02:49 PM

I often play a single game until I've conquered it, drained it dry, and tossed it's battered husk onto the pyre. I wouldn't call it obsessive.

I usually have one main game and a few casual games, like Tapped Out, on the side. Sometimes I'll drop the main game for a while, even if I like it, because I've gotten out of the mood that drew me to play.
Old 03-01-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also remembered. I had a roomate in college that failed out for a semester due to Everquest.
Old 03-02-14, 01:31 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Old 03-02-14, 08:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I also remembered. I had a roomate in college that failed out for a semester due to Everquest.
I failed out of college because of video game addiction too. I was in college back in 1997 when Final Fantasy VII came out. I very clearly remember playing that game for literally 30 hours straight. No joke. I didn't get up to eat or go to the bathroom or anything. It was literally 30 hours straight sitting down playing Final Fantasy VII.

Gaming "marathons" like that were a very frequent occurrence for me. That 30 hour streak on Final Fantasy VII was my longest, but I would often sit and play video games all day long. I would play games at least 10-12 hours a day.

I ended up failing out of college in 1997, but I am currently back in school now doing it right this. I am about to graduate this May.
Old 03-02-14, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer

I ended up failing out of college in 1997, but I am currently back in school now doing it right this. I am about to graduate this May.
Good job
Old 03-02-14, 09:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Good job
Thanks.
Old 03-02-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this was a thread about fat gamers.
Old 03-02-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I had a friend who failed to get into college due to Everquest.
Old 03-02-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Who was the Miami Dolphins' first-round-pick running back who crashed and burned out of the NFL because they said he played too many video games and couldn't stay awake in meetings? John Avery?
Old 03-02-14, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by taffer
I am about to graduate this May.
Hell yeah man. Kudos!!
Old 03-03-14, 07:45 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have played games for 30+ years. However the only game to really addict me completely is Dark Souls. After I first got the game, I played it and NOTHING else for 6 months. It was all I thought about. At work, I would be daydreaming about playing that game and what I was going to accomplish that night. No other game in history really got in my head and consumed me like this one. I still play it from time to time, but if I have other games I want to play -- I need to avoid Dark Souls.

It will pull me back in for another couple month obsession.

Luckily the PC version of Dark Souls 2 doesn't come out until a couple months after the console release this month. I have alot of other games I want to play.
Old 03-03-14, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My buddy got me playing Dark Souls back in November.

I was slowly making progress in *finally* finishing Devil May Cry 3...on state like 18 or something...

But now I haven't played anything besides Dark Souls since December or so. Minus a little Civ 5 on PC and Final Fantasy VI via emulator on my Nexus 7.

I think I'm on my last playthrough now with a STR character, though. Finally getting a bit burned out.
Old 03-03-14, 08:52 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
My buddy got me playing Dark Souls back in November.

I was slowly making progress in *finally* finishing Devil May Cry 3...on state like 18 or something...

But now I haven't played anything besides Dark Souls since December or so. Minus a little Civ 5 on PC and Final Fantasy VI via emulator on my Nexus 7.

I think I'm on my last playthrough now with a STR character, though. Finally getting a bit burned out.

i am not sure if I could ever get burned out of Dark Souls. You can play each time through completely different to make the game fresh. Have you only played with a STR character?? If so switch to a mage and focus on intelligence or a thief and focus on dexterity -- the game will grab a hold on you again. It will feel completely different.
Old 03-03-14, 03:34 PM

The only one that really stands out to me in recent memory is Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. I played that obsessively during the fall of 2012 for close to 300 hours. Since then nothing really.
Old 03-03-14, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I did this once, with the original Civlization. It took over my life. Never again!

Now I'm the complete opposite. I'm always switching between games, and as a result, been pretty awful at actually completing them. Trying to fix that, though.
Old 03-03-14, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I once played pac man on the atari 2600 for 2 hours.
Old 03-03-14, 09:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oblivion
Old 03-07-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wlj
i am not sure if I could ever get burned out of Dark Souls. You can play each time through completely different to make the game fresh. Have you only played with a STR character?? If so switch to a mage and focus on intelligence or a thief and focus on dexterity -- the game will grab a hold on you again. It will feel completely different.
I've run through 100% with my Mage character (50 INT with smidgeon of FAI) who is a bit into NG+, about 90% with my DEX/FAI character, about 80% with my DEX/INT character (more fun IMO than the DEX/FAI character).

I've got a STR character at level 40 with a couple of Black Knight weapons and a for-kicks INT-FAI dual build I've been playing, maybe just to surprise people in PVP.

I don't think I've got a single player game outside of the Civ series I've played more than this, hours-wise. I've probably played through Dragon Quest 4 / FF6 / Chrono Trigger about as many times, though.
Old 03-11-14, 10:42 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bippitty
I often play a single game until I've conquered it, drained it dry, and tossed it's battered husk onto the pyre. I wouldn't call it obsessive.
This is me as well. The only reasons I kick a game out of the system are 1) I need the system to play a Blu-Ray, or 2) it just wasn't working for me.