Where have you been?

2007 - Halo 3
2009 - Halo Wars
2009 - Halo: ODST
2010 - Halo Reach
2011 - Halo Anniversary
2012 - Halo 4
2013 - Halo Spartan Assault

I'm sure a Halo 2: Anniversary is around the corner along with Halo 5. That should cover 2014 & 2015.
I guess I saw it differently when you talk about a "yearly series" as I don't count stuff like Halo Anniversary and Halo Spartan Assault and was only thinking about the main series. I assumed something more along the lines of Call of Duty, where it's actually a big release in the series. Since Microsoft opened 343 Studios specifically for Halo and to take over from Bungie, they've really only put out Halo 4.

In any case, I don't think Gears is popular enough to spin off the random games that Halo did to have some sort of game each year.
Old 01-29-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise

It's interesting the difference in philosophy between MS and Sony.

When Sony has a popular game, they buy out the developer, like Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog. That gives them the games and the people that made them. So not only does Sony keep getting Uncharted games as exclusive, they get The Last Of Us as well.

MS just buys the games and gives them to different developers. So all of a sudden you see Destiny pop up on the PS4, and that'll probably be the case with Epic's next game.
Old 01-29-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well it's not that easy to buy Epic you know. And Bungie has philosophy or whatever, I'm sure Microsoft asked to buy them.

In Gears case at least they got Rod Ferguson. It seems they talked with Cliffy B too but he doesn't want to work in Gears anymore.

In the other hand they bought Rare and...
Old 01-29-14, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Microsoft did buy Bungie. They let Bungie buy out from under a few years later.
Old 01-29-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

And Microsoft has bought other studios too, like the before-mentioned Rare or Ensemble Studios. I don't think it's a difference in philosophy, something like Epic Games is far different from a small developer like the ones Sony has.
Old 03-29-15, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

JackFelling
‏@btjackfelling
Last day of the shoot... One of the actors in a mocap suit! #MotionCapture #Props #MarkerBalls @GearsofWar

https://twitter.com/btjackfelling/st...16777139908608

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/...es-mocap-image
Old 03-30-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Might as well toss this out here too. Seems like a dumb move if so.

'NO MARCUS FENIX COLLECTION', SAYS GEARS OF WAR DEV

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/...ars-of-war-dev
Old 03-30-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So it'll be called something different then. Got it.
Old 04-01-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved Gears 1-3, especially the insanely addictive Horde mode. I never played Judgment and was looking to buy a copy after reading this thread, but I checked Xbox Live Games With Gold and saw that Judgment is free this month, so that is great timing.
Old 04-01-15, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

They should've never let Gears just slide and fade away. Gears and Halo were the two primary reasons of getting and playing the 360. I still have the 2-3 along with Judgment. GOW3 was just a blast. How and why MS didn't have something in the works for X1 is beyond me. I know several friends we all played GOW on the 360 that moved to PS4 who just gave up hoping for any GOW coming. One of the most successful gaming series in 360 and MS just does what...nothing.
Old 04-01-15, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by K&AJones
They should've never let Gears just slide and fade away. Gears and Halo were the two primary reasons of getting and playing the 360. I still have the 2-3 along with Judgment. GOW3 was just a blast. How and why MS didn't have something in the works for X1 is beyond me. I know several friends we all played GOW on the 360 that moved to PS4 who just gave up hoping for any GOW coming. One of the most successful gaming series in 360 and MS just does what...nothing.
How did Microsoft let Gears "slide and fade away"? Judgment was released March 2013 just 2 years ago and until Microsoft bought the rights last year it was in the hands of Epic Games (who honestly, aside from Gears seems to be concentrating on just their engine rather then pumping out games).

Microsoft announced they created a new studio to create a new Gears of War game in January 2014, just months after the release of the XBox One so why would any of your friends give up hope of a new game when Microsoft has already said one was in the works?
Old 04-01-15, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I hope the series continues. The first one is why I bought the 360. Then my brother was over watching it and decided to buy the system and game after watching me play. He then got his two college buddies to do the same. I'd say after Halo, this is one of the biggest money makers for Microsoft. To me they are the ones that made "Horde" mode what it is. Copied often but rarely as good.
Old 04-01-15, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Barth
I hope the series continues.
Am I missing something here? What's there to hope for, we know it's continuing.
Old 04-02-15, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I sure do hope there's a new Gears game in the future. It would be a shame if MS let it die.

Spoiler:
Old 04-02-15, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
How did Microsoft let Gears "slide and fade away"? Judgment was released March 2013 just 2 years ago and until Microsoft bought the rights last year it was in the hands of Epic Games (who honestly, aside from Gears seems to be concentrating on just their engine rather then pumping out games).

Microsoft announced they created a new studio to create a new Gears of War game in January 2014, just months after the release of the XBox One so why would any of your friends give up hope of a new game when Microsoft has already said one was in the works?

That's two years and as it stands now nothing is confirmed or in the works for the current Gen. You're probably looking at least another year so three years of no GOW...yes that's sliding & fading in my book. Same with Halo. If you're working on a Nex Gen system for 2-3+ years, don't you think you would be working on your top selling game franchises as well?

And yes Judgment came out in March 2013 but many GOW fans felt it was a bit off from the GOW 1-3. I played it a lot but just felt it wasn't cut from the same "GOW Cloth" as GOW 2-3.
Old 04-02-15, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's two years and as it stands now nothing is confirmed or in the works for the current Gen. You're probably looking at least another year so three years of no GOW...yes that's sliding & fading in my book. Same with Halo. If you're working on a Nex Gen system for 2-3+ years, don't you think you would be working on your top selling game franchises as well?

And yes Judgment came out in March 2013 but many GOW fans felt it was a bit off from the GOW 1-3. I played it a lot but just felt it wasn't cut from the same "GOW Cloth" as GOW 2-3.
Nothing is confirmed or in the works? WE'RE IN A THREAD ABOUT MICROSOFT STARTING A NEW STUDIO TO MAKE A GEARS OF WAR GAME. A picture was just posted about mocap for the game which is why the thread was bumped! Am I crazy or something?

And if 3 years between games in a series is sliding and fading, would you say Sony let Uncharted fade away (3 was released in 2011, meaning a 4-5 year gap before 4 next year). God of War Ascension was released around the same time as Judgment, with no next gen announcement outside of a remaster of 3 yet. Grand Theft Auto had San Andreas in 2004, IV in 2008, and V in 2013.

I'm disappointed that there isn't a Gears of War game out earlier too, but major franchises aren't always out every 1-2 years.

Last edited by fumanstan; 04-02-15 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nothing is confirmed or in the works? WE'RE IN A THREAD ABOUT MICROSOFT STARTING A NEW STUDIO TO MAKE A GEARS OF WAR GAME. A picture was just posted about mocap for the game which is why the thread was bumped! Am I crazy or something?

And if 3 years between games in a series is sliding and fading, would you say Sony let Uncharted fade away (3 was released in 2011, meaning a 4-5 year gap before 4 next year). God of War Ascension was released around the same time as Judgment, with no next gen announcement outside of a remaster of 3 yet. Grand Theft Auto had San Andreas in 2004, IV in 2008, and V in 2013.

I'm disappointed that there isn't a Gears of War game out earlier too, but major franchises aren't always out every 1-2 years.
I vote that you don't count Gears of War Judgement as a Gears game since it was so awful! That makes it 4 years since gears 3!
Old 04-02-15, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WE'RE IN A THREAD ABOUT MICROSOFT STARTING A NEW STUDIO TO MAKE A GEARS OF WAR GAME.....I stand by my comment....you're looking at least another year so three years. And just why "starting a new studio"now, Why not a year or so ago? Look at the date of the first post when MS got the rights...Jan 2014...and what is the date and year now? We're talking Microsoft...not Billy Bob Game Studios. These people could've snapped their fingers and had an army ready to go within a month. Plus we're talking Gears here which means they already have foundation, characters, story, history...all in place to build around either a pre-quell or sequel instead of starting from outright scratch.
Old 04-02-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They can just reskin everything in Helldivers and make it a gears of war game lol
Old 04-02-15, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

WE'RE IN A THREAD ABOUT MICROSOFT STARTING A NEW STUDIO TO MAKE A GEARS OF WAR GAME.....I stand by my comment....you're looking at least another year so three years.
I'm not questioning that it's going to take another year or two for a new game to come out. I'm saying it makes ZERO sense for you to say that nothing is confirmed or in the works for next gen. We KNOW a new game is being made because Microsoft said so. That's not even a debate. There's no reason for you or your friends to "give up hope" that a new Gears is coming. Seriously, is it just me that isn't getting this? It's in the first freakin' post of this thread! Here let me help:

By acquiring this franchise, Microsoft Studios will continue to offer them more of their favorite games and entertainment experiences from the “Gears of War” universe.
Black Tusk has assembled a world-class team with deep experience and passion for the shooter space, and specifically the “Gears of War” franchise. I am extremely confident that under the leadership of Hanno Lemke, Rod Fergusson and our other leaders in the studio, Black Tusk is well equipped to take on the future development of the “Gears of War” franchise.
As for this...

And just why "starting a new studio"now, Why not a year or so ago? Look at the date of the first post when MS got the rights...Jan 2014...and what is the date and year now? We're talking Microsoft...not Billy Bob Game Studios. These people could've snapped their fingers and had an army ready to go within a month. Plus we're talking Gears here which means they already have foundation, characters, story, history...all in place to build around either a pre-quell or sequel instead of starting from outright scratch.
I said this earlier, but Microsoft didn't own Gears. Epic Games did. Whatever they were or weren't doing, and whatever led to their subsidiary People Can Fly instead of Epic developing Judgment themselves (and thus the lower quality of said game), is unknown. Microsoft obviously cared enough because they threw enough money at Epic to buy the IP outright, but maybe Epic wasn't concentrating on the franchise after key people left? Microsoft had no say in that.

And you didn't address the other titles I mentioned that also have had multiple years between releases. Do you consider those fading?

Last edited by fumanstan; 04-02-15 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Microsoft should be able to start a new studio and have a brand new AAA game out within 6 months. Don't you know anything about game development?
Old 04-21-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

GEARS OF WAR CINEMATIC DIRECTOR LEAVES EPIC FOR BLACK TUSK

Greg M. Mitchell, the man responsible for almost all the cinematics in the Gears of War franchise, has left Epic Games to join Black Tusk Studios.

Announcing the move on Twitter, Mitchell didn't elaborate upon his new position at the studio handling the next entry in the Gears franchise, but it's pretty obvious it'll be related to the cinematics again.

Mitchell started his career at Epic back in 2006 as Digital Cinematographer on the original Gears of War, before rising to the rank of Cinematics Director in 2007. Since then he's worked on all other Gears games and other Epic titles, including Shadow Complex and Infinity Blade.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/...for-black-tusk
Old 04-22-15, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really hope this is a good sign for GOW in the future but it's still too early to tell. The pressure will be having something significant for this year's E3. I would buy a XI just for GOW and Halo as those two dominated my 360 play.
Old 04-22-15, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
GEARS OF WAR CINEMATIC DIRECTOR LEAVES EPIC FOR BLACK TUSK

Greg M. Mitchell, the man responsible for almost all the cinematics in the Gears of War franchise, has left Epic Games to join Black Tusk Studios.

Announcing the move on Twitter, Mitchell didn't elaborate upon his new position at the studio handling the next entry in the Gears franchise, but it's pretty obvious it'll be related to the cinematics again.
I wonder what he'll be working on!
Old 04-24-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/24/849...versary-remake

More remaster rumors, this time that Splash Damage is working on the first game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.